Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

351 544776 Oct 16, 2014
8.6
ef50mmf_18_1_

This is the lightest EF lens of all at a mere 4.6 oz. (130g). Compact and high-performance, standard lens. Its Gaussian optics provide sharp delineation from near to far focusing distances. The color balance is excellent for a standard lens.

dave chilvers

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Jan 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: It`s got to be worth the money
Cons:

I didn`t get around to rating this lens because most people know that it is a really good performer but just this week put it up against my Contax 50 1.7 OK the Contax really does bring home the bacon in the corners but the central area belongs to my Canon. I`m as surprised as you might be about this but on the 1dsmk2 I can`t fault the Canon(except for build quality)

Jan 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dave chilvers to your Buddy List
plove53

Registered: Dec 16, 2004
Review Date: Jan 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $75.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price!
Cons:
Nothing!

If you are on a tight budget like I am this is a must have lens! After reading the reviews here I thought I should get one. I paid around 70 bucks for it NEW (B&H). It very sharp, and its a great portrait lens.

Here are some samples I do not have samples of portraits (post some soon) but here is some landscape samples:

-phil

Jan 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add plove53 to your Buddy List
ribeirodesign

Registered: Jan 18, 2006
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Jan 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely fast, sharp, and light
Cons:
for 80US$, none

Its a must for every photographer, the 50mm is really cheap, and produces extremelly sharp photos.

Jan 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ribeirodesign to your Buddy List
JTitor

Registered: Jul 17, 2005
Review Date: Jan 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

Jan 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JTitor to your Buddy List
foges

Registered: Oct 24, 2005
Review Date: Jan 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, great bokeh, prety fast, Cheap,
Cons:
plastic, no focusing info on lens

I came from the land of zooms but decided to try a prime. Got it shipped from the US and I just love the lens, the pictures are very sharp. the focusing is reasonably fast (not usm but good), the bokeh in comparison to what im used to is awesome. Truely a fantastic lens for the money. I was concidering the mk I because of the build quality difference. Im not dissapointed however. The build isnt bad, you dont in any sence have a feeling like its going to fall appart, its just not metal. Portraits are fab.

A must for anyone who doesnt have too much to spend but wants good images.

Jan 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add foges to your Buddy List
redii

Registered: Jan 5, 2006
Review Date: Jan 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $76.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Unbelievably sharp pictures.
Cons:
AF brain damage at times.

My first epiphany was moving from a canon Powershot to a 300D.

My second was moving from an 18-55 lens to the 50mm.

Unfortunately, I now have a higher standard for the word 'sharp'.

I guess I will need to save my pennies for an 'L'

Jan 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add redii to your Buddy List
Salman Khan

Registered: Jan 4, 2006
Review Date: Jan 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Price & the quick sharp focus
Cons:
Plastic lens mount

I purchased this lens yesterday for my Rebel XT. It offers the best bang for the buck for portrait shooting for the non-pro.

I just have one question for everyone who has bought this lens. Did your lens come inside a styrofoam insert in the box? Mine only came inside a bubble wrap pouch, which was inside the Canon "cube" box.

Jan 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Salman Khan to your Buddy List
bunnydustin

Registered: Dec 21, 2005
Review Date: Dec 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $80.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Light, Fast, PRICE!!!
Cons:
MF Ring, AF/MF switch

I just got this lens for Christmas and so far I am loving it. It has taken a semi-permanent place on my 300D, then again it is competing with the kit lens and the 75-300 III USM. It is hard to complain about this lens because of the awesome glass you get for the price, that being said the MF ring is pretty bad and takes some getting used to.

Dec 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bunnydustin to your Buddy List
oople

Registered: Dec 12, 2005
Review Date: Dec 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp, good value
Cons:
cheap feel

I got this lens as a first lens on my new 1d2 body, until i get bigger lens for sports. I was shocked how cheap and plasticy it was compared to my nikon 50mm f1.8, which feels so much higher quality.
Even the plastic on the nikon looks nicer.

Once on the camera though i have to say it is far far better than my nikon 50mm ever was, especially wide open it is much sharper.

I like it.

Dec 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add oople to your Buddy List
DoubleD

Registered: Oct 26, 2005
Review Date: Dec 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Low light capabilities, 1.8, Lightweight, 'Pop' in the images! Price- great value for money!
Cons:
Plastic body, doesnt come with a hood included in the price, noisy motor.

This is my first prime lens- wow its fantastic!

I'm not going to add much to the discussion, but I will say that if you are new to photography (like me) BUY THIS LENS you will be impressed by the step up from Point and Shoot to capabilities that this cheap lens brings!

I found that the quality of the images are very impressive; works extremely well in low light indoors (without flash) which would not be possible with a P and S.

Look at the other photographers reviews for technical comments for this lens.

Dec 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add DoubleD to your Buddy List
cpt_howdy

Registered: Dec 29, 2005

Pros: Lightweight, sharp, cheap, all of the above
Cons:
build quality doesn't strike me as amazing. Hardly better than the 18-55 EOS kit lens.

Can't really add much to the previous posts, except to include links to a couple of images - one taken with the EOS 350D kit lens (18-55mm) and the other with the 50mm f/1.8. See if you can tell the difference...

Dec 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cpt_howdy to your Buddy List
Higany

Registered: Dec 19, 2005
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Dec 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $125.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: F1.8, price, weight (because it's plastic)
Cons:
build quality (too plastiky), Focus ring,

This is a must! Very sharp (even at F1.8!), very fast. I use it for indoor & portrait photography.
Yes, i paid 125$ for it... (the good old 25% hungarian VAT and other taxes @ duties are included... :-L )

Dec 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Higany to your Buddy List
jgonzo

Registered: Dec 17, 2005
Review Date: Dec 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality, f1.8, speed, price, everything .....
Cons:
AF/MF switch a bit hard to move, but who cares?

Absolutely perfect product for this price.
Since i tried it first time i am looking for primes only.

Dec 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jgonzo to your Buddy List
scooterzz

Registered: Dec 19, 2005
Review Date: Dec 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $65.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Sharpness, fast, fabulously inexpensive.
Cons:
Plasticky ... but whaddaya expect for $65?!?

I've spent $400 on lenses that didn't deliver the sharpness and contrast and overall good results that this inexpensive little gem does.

For the price, you simply can't go wrong.

Dec 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add scooterzz to your Buddy List
mbellphoto

Registered: Dec 8, 2005
Review Date: Dec 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $70.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, sharpness, low light use, lightweight
Cons:
Not much

Add me to the list of people who bought this lens and were impressed. Very nice, crisp photos with this thing. The AF system is a bit off sometimes, but thats why MF is there. I shot with this in a dark nightclub and still got great photos out of it. Dont worry about the plastic body unless you are very hard on your gear, I dropped this thing on the ground already and it still works perfectly. If you are still trying to decide whether to get one or not, just buy it already!

Dec 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mbellphoto to your Buddy List
Mike Mahoney

Registered: Mar 8, 2004
Review Date: Dec 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: light weight, nice bokeh, pretty sharp at F2.2 and smaller.
Cons:
build quality, not too sharp below 2.8.

it's a bit hard to review this lens mostly because of the price .. every time I want to say something negative I really can't because I've spent more on lens hoods than I have on this whole lens !!

but then you should ask yourself if the price were $50 higher and you had solid construction and a metal mount would you spend the extra $50 ?? .. my answer is yes.

the AF hunts a little in low light and is not very fast or smooth .. but again what do you want for $100?

so my review is much like the others .. not at all a bad little lens for the money, and if you don't like it you can always sell and you won't lose more than the price of a hamburger :-)

Dec 16, 2005