Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

351 544770 Oct 16, 2014
8.6
ef50mmf_18_1_

This is the lightest EF lens of all at a mere 4.6 oz. (130g). Compact and high-performance, standard lens. Its Gaussian optics provide sharp delineation from near to far focusing distances. The color balance is excellent for a standard lens.

jrscls

Registered: Sep 7, 2005
Review Date: Dec 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $67.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Inexpensive, sharp wide open, light weight
Cons:
build quality is a lot of plastic but for the price, I'm not complaining at all

Bought this lens for my wife's Rebel XT and the results were outstanding considering the cost of this lens. It is sharp wide open and outstanding at f2. Light as a feather and price is a gift. Everyone should have this one.

Dec 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jrscls to your Buddy List
greg christie

Registered: Dec 8, 2006
Review Date: Dec 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $79.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, Cheap. Best bang for the buck lens made. Great for portraits. Did I say it was fast
Cons:
At this price, are you kidding??

The Pro's and the Con's spell it out. No Canon owner should be without this lens. The focal point on a 1.6 crop is just the ticket for portraits, and F1.8 will show you what fast glass is all about. Once you buy this lens, F2.8 may just become to slow for you.

Dec 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add greg christie to your Buddy List
candova

Registered: Jan 13, 2006
Location: Turkey
Review Date: Dec 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: cheap,sharp and lightweight
Cons:
cheap plastic bayonet

When I took this lens in my hands i tought it cant be so good.But all apeture especially after f/1.8 it is perfect.Also very cheap every canon eos user should have this lens.Everybody think plastic bayonet can be easily break but dont forget to think this lens in under 200 gr.!

Dec 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add candova to your Buddy List
Syed Hafiz

Registered: Nov 14, 2006
Review Date: Dec 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $80.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp!
Cons:

Dec 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Syed Hafiz to your Buddy List
mathie

Registered: Sep 25, 2006
Review Date: Nov 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, f/1.8, very compact
Cons:
Cheap build quality, focusing is noisy, too small which make it difficult to hand-hold and easy to produce blurry pictures

This is so cheap comparing to other lenses that even with issues, it's worth to have it. Noisy & doesn't feel solid. Mine made in Malaysia so Canon can cut cost & pass on to us.

Nov 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mathie to your Buddy List
Will Patterson

Registered: Nov 6, 2006
Review Date: Nov 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $65.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: REALLY light, can't beat the price, great 1st lens
Cons:
Feels very cheap even for my first DSLR lens without even trying out any other lenses yet, rinky-dink little focus ring, and I'll probably never use it with an f stop wider than 4.0 as the softness REALLY comes out on my copy.

I have never owned a DLSR before, so this was my first one, along with my first lens. And even with having little knowledge of DSLR's and lenses, I know this is a cheap-o lens. Doesn't take a pro to realize you're getting what you pay for, cheap construction, it feels like something you would buy at Toys R Us.

The other thing is the sharpness. I did a lot of experimenting the first night with the lense at a fixed focus on a tri-pod and in two locations in my house after taking shots through the entire f stop range, I can say I'll probably never be taking this lense wider than 4. 5.6 seems to be its sweet spot and it tails off as you head towards f/22. I'm going to do some shooting tomorrow outside to see what I can come up with.

Nov 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Will Patterson to your Buddy List
diesel88

Registered: Jul 17, 2006
Review Date: Nov 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Very cheap, DOF, sharp, works great in low light situation
Cons:
Build is plastic, Focusing is very loud

It's been a while since I've used a prime lens (I usually use a Nikon 50mm 1.4, but got this one for AF when I don't want to use MF), and I just bought this yesterday. Honestly, I'm falling in love with prime lens all over again. Yes, zoom lens are convenient, but heck, prime lens is cheaper and the quality of the image is A LOT better, especially when you're shooting in the dark, or low light situations.

Depth of field is another reason why I went with a prime lens, it gave me that awesome blurry background effect I lost once I switched over to using zoom lens.

Apparently the price dropped, I bought it from Henrys in Canada and It's only listing at $119.00 before tax.

This is definitely a great lens for its price. However, I also noticed something that's somewhat bothering, the build quality is really not the best Canon can offer, manual focusing at the front of the lens imo is not very good, and this thing is quite louder than I expected. (even after I read all the reviews.) But.. you get what you paid.

So far it's been a day and I'm loving this already, perhaps this one will stay in my camera bag for a very long time.

Nov 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add diesel88 to your Buddy List
gbrdnl

Registered: Aug 14, 2005
Review Date: Nov 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: very cheap, low weight, compact, F1.8, very sharp from F4
Cons:
Front Focus problem below F4, expecially ad 1.8

I exchanged this lens for 3 times. All the same problems. At first it seems to work fine. But when I brought my camera (EOS 30D) to Canon Service to fix the backfocus problem with all my L series (17-40 and 70-200), the 50F1,8 started to be front focus at large apertures. Canon specialist said that there was not nothing to do... That lens is a "cheap line" and doesn't offer any technical possibility to be fixed.

Now I still have this lens, but for that reason I don't like anymore to use it at large apertures. It's very sharp from F4 on....

Nov 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gbrdnl to your Buddy List
Ardepp

Registered: Oct 30, 2006
Review Date: Oct 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Mind blowing image quality with this price!
Cons:
This lens is fragile, although I haven't manage to break none in "normal" daily use.

Oct 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ardepp to your Buddy List
Seth Tower

Registered: Oct 9, 2006
Review Date: Oct 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $79.95 | Rating: 9

Pros: Extremely Sharp. Fast AF. Super Lightweight. Unbeatable Value.
Cons:
Made by Fisher Price. Dinky Manual Focusing Ring.

Laughable build quality aside, this lens is simply fantastic. Truely incredible results from all apertures and amazingly sharp wide open. It's ultra light and portable and balances great on a smaller SLR like a D Rebel XT. And for less then $80 bucks, everyone should have one!

Oct 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Seth Tower to your Buddy List
enyu Lee

Registered: Sep 26, 2006
Review Date: Oct 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: At f1.8 is not very usable. Sharpest at f5.6. Value for money lens if you are looking for a cheap but good IQ lens
Cons:
Focus slightly slow and noisy and tend to hunt at low light or black object. Cannot complain much for its price against IQ.

Cannot complain much for the price. At f1.8 the IQ is not very usable. IQ improves from f2.8 and is best at f5.6 and then drops slightly at f8. You will be surprise of the sharpness of details captured at f5.6. Nice bokeh. It is very light due it plastic body. Would strongly recommend to beginners who cannot afford the 50mmf1.4 which is 4x the price of this MkII.

Oct 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add enyu Lee to your Buddy List
MenulioTiusis

Registered: Oct 11, 2006
Review Date: Oct 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 1.8, sharpness F2.8 and smaller, weight, size, contrast,DOF
Cons:
non-usm, plastic

AF sounds strange... It's not fast enough in some cases...

But everything else is fine... I can't afford 50 F1.4, so I'm very very satisfied with F1.8. Maybe, in future....

Oct 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MenulioTiusis to your Buddy List
George E

Registered: Oct 9, 2006
Review Date: Oct 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $70.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: glass, 1.8, leighweight, CHEAP, simple.
Cons:
focus ring very loose and the thing rattles like its broken...but its not.

What a great lens.
As a new DSLR owner (Canon 400D) I wanted a simple prime lens with a large aperture so I could really see what the camera could do.
This thing fit the bill in a big way.
For one, its very cheap. At the price of a polarizer for a zoom lens, this thing is a total gem.
Obviously it wouldnt be worth anything if the quality wasnt there. But oh is it there...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/62778315@N00/">Canon XTi Gallery</a>

Most of the pics in the gallery shown here (95%) were taken with the 50mm 1.8II. Its just so crisp, so versatile (low light) and so small that its an absolute no brainer.

You will be blown away by the quality of this lens.

Get one.

Now on to my new Tamron 28-75 f2.8........:)

Oct 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add George E to your Buddy List
Opaz

Registered: Sep 30, 2006
Review Date: Sep 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: cheap , very sharp , fast , bokeh , accurate colours , IMO L results for a fraction of L money.
Cons:
No cons at this price..

You'll get amazing results from this lens as i have.
On the end of my 1D & 1Ds Mark II this lens is a real gem , fantastic results.
If you're reading these reviews to decide whether to buy this 50mm lens , in this case you pay next to nothing and get everything.
BUY IT!

Sep 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Opaz to your Buddy List
Maliketh

Registered: Nov 6, 2005
Review Date: Sep 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap, lightweight, fast 1.8 aperture, discreet
Cons:
Poor build quality, Gathers dust quickly, no distance scale, cheesy focus drive sound

When I first got this lens, I was quite impressed with the beautiful background blur and it's low light capabilities. It was also amazingly sharp on my 350d.

One big problem for me was dust. Because of the low quality build, you can feel the lens creak and move which means that nothing is really sealed. Dust infection was quite apparent after owning the lens for about 6 months, however I still use it, all be it with only minimal loss of contrast and such.

For the money you can't get anything better than this, and as a beginner in photography I really learnt a great deal through the use of this lens, due to the large apertures available for testing depth of field etc.

If you are thinking of buying a new camera, go for a body only and purchase this lens. Creatively, you will acheive so much with this lens. Portraits and candids take on a whole new life with this little thing. DOF is so short at f1.8 but you can shoot in quite dimly lit places easily.

I could honestly say though, that I will never buy this lens again, due to the lack of sealing and such. Dust inside a lens is basically a death sentence, in my opinion anyway, so to replace this, I would go for something more expensive, but with good weather sealing.

Sep 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Maliketh to your Buddy List
routerguy666

Registered: Aug 16, 2006
Review Date: Sep 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $75.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, optical quality.
Cons:

Great lense. Cheaply built but what's on the inside is very good stuff. Priced low enough that if I were to drop it and crack the housing I would simply go buy another the same day. This is a nice lense for shooting subjects that present a lot of fine detail. I have used it to shoot a number of architectural subjects. It also makes a nice lense for portaits once you get a feel for handling the very thin DOF. Assuming you get past the point of only having the nose in focus or one eye in and one eye out of focus, you'll love the bokeh behind your subject and wonder how Canon can release such a great little piece of equipment for so little money. On a recent vacation, with a bag full of glass, I found myself swapping between this and the 85mm 90% of the time.

Sep 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add routerguy666 to your Buddy List

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II