Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM

515 995521 Sep 3, 2014
ef17-40_4l_1_

A new and affordable L-series ultra-wide-angle zoom lens that's ideal for both film and digital SLRs. Superior optics are assured by the use of three aspherical lens elements, in addition to a Super UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) glass element. Optical coatings are optimized for use with digital cameras. This lens focuses as close as 11 inches (0.28m), and offers both Canon's full-time manual focus and a powerful ring-type USM for fast and silent AF. It has a constant f/4 maximum aperture, and offers the choice of screw-in 77mm filters or a holder in the rear of the lens for up to three gel filters. Finally, it offers weather-resistant construction similar to other high-end L-series lenses.

surf monkey

Registered: May 23, 2005
Review Date: Feb 11, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great value. Sharp center. Relatively compact and light. Very versatile. Fast, accurate focus. Weather sealing with appropriate filter.
Cons:
Weak resolution in corners (especially FF). Distortion moderate.

I purchased this with my first full frame DSLR the Canon 5Dmk2. Excellent combo for a versatile walk around setup (I like wide angle).

The 5Dmk2 is a wide angle torture test and very few lenses have sharp corners on it. The 17-40 is the best value wide angle for full frame and "gets the shot" when ultra wide is necessary. The lens is better at the longer end of the zoom range. At the widest focal length, even at f8, the corners are not very sharp. I find that the EFS 10-22mm is sharper in the corners on my Canon 40D at the wide end.

I prefer primes for the wide angle, because they seem to have sharper corners, but for a zoom, this one suits me for most shooting.

Feb 11, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add surf monkey to your Buddy List
Jay Adeff

Registered: Feb 27, 2004
Review Date: Feb 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid build quality. Sharp. Fast, smooth & quiet AF. Affordable.
Cons:
Hood is a bit much. I replaced it with the hood from the 24-105 which works great on a 1.3 crop camera.

Bought mine used and was pleasantly surprised to find it a great lens for the money. Can occasionaly be a tiny bit soft at f/4, but the lack of distortions (CA or otherwise) means a bit of USM in Photoshop sharpens the images up nicely.

Feb 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jay Adeff to your Buddy List
Glenn B

Registered: May 12, 2007
Review Date: Feb 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Well built, very sharp even at f4!
Cons:
Trying real hard to come up with a con and I can't think of one!

I just came over to Canon after many years with Nikon. I loved my Nikon gear but it was the f4 line of "L" lenses that Nikon just can't compare with that brought me over. This lens was my first lens that I purchased to go with my "new" 5D. All I can ssy is I shouldn't have waited so long! Great build and sharp as a tack even at f4! I had the Nikon 17-55mm to use with my D300 before this. As great of a lens as that was I like the 17-40mm better! Sharper, less flare and cheaper! An all around great lens! The kind of lens that makes me go out and look for reason to need the wide angle:-)

Feb 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Glenn B to your Buddy List
joelypolly

Registered: Mar 29, 2009
Review Date: Jan 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very light, good image quality, cheap compared to other options, solid construction, supports filter in the mount itself.
Cons:
Image quality is soft wide open, subject to flare as are most ultra wide angle lenses, requires a filter to complete environment seal. No IS. It's f4 so not as fast as it's f2.8 cousin but it is only half the price.

Definitely a must have for most shooters. Image quality is ok wide open and quite good stepped down. After coming from all IS enabled zooms not having this feature has meant a tripod is more necessary than usual. Slower hand held shutter speeds will often show blur depending on how stable your hands are.

The creativity that comes from having those extra MM really help and as this lens is EF it means if you upgrade from a crop camera body to a full frame you will be able to take your investment with you.

Full time manual focus is available on this lens.

Some sample photos can be found at http://joelypolly.blogspot.com/search/label/canon%2017-40mm%20f4 for those that are interested. I also posted some extreme flare examples.

Jan 28, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add joelypolly to your Buddy List
Dvaprez

Registered: Jan 27, 2010
Review Date: Jan 27, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: This is a spectacular lens. Very sharp, beautiful color and fantastic feel. It has the sturdy handling you would expect from an L lens. I don't miss the stop and a half that the 16-35 F2.8 has.
Cons:
Because of the price I have been looking for flaws. I am going to stop looking.

I spent months comparing this lens to the 16-35 F2.8L. I have found nothing to justify the $1000 price gap. Having worked this lens hard over the last 30 days I am thrilled with it!

Jan 27, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dvaprez to your Buddy List
dseidman

Registered: Jul 29, 2008
Review Date: Jan 25, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, lightweight, build quality, inexpensive for an L, weather sealed
Cons:
Corner sharpness, but it's not too bad.

When I upgraded to a full-frame camera, I had to find a replacement wide angle lens for my Tokina 12-24. After doing a little research, this lens appeared to be the best value out of all my options (which were pretty much limited to either this or the 16-35). Now that I've had more than 6 months to use it, I can say that I definitely made the right decision for the type of photography I do. I don't need to the f/2.8 of the 16-35 and I don't think the difference in sharpness justifies spending double the money. In fact, there seems be very little difference in sharpness at all judging by comparisons I've made between images produced with my 17-40 and a friend's 16-35.

Here are some samples of the work I have produced with this lens:

Jan 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dseidman to your Buddy List
douglassalteri

Registered: Jun 8, 2005
Review Date: Jan 5, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros:
Cons:

Jan 5, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add douglassalteri to your Buddy List
Pennington

Registered: Dec 9, 2009
Review Date: Jan 5, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $780.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: light weight, wide range, constant f/4, price
Cons:
no IS

I bought the 17-40L after a lot of research. I'd used other wide-angle lenses in the past, but hadn't ever been truly happy with any of them, either for their limited range or the distortions at the wide end. I needed a lens to use for both my own landscape work, and for weddings/editorial gigs.

This is my first L-series lens and I have to admit, it does feel good. The build is excellent, it feels solid on the camera on in use. Coupled with the 7D, the weather sealing makes me more comfortable in certain conditions. I find the focal range on this lens to be ideal for the work I do, and the relatively fast aperture comes in handy. For under $800 is was a great buy.

Optically it's solid sharp photos, nice color and contrast. Being an L lens, I'm surprised that it's not the sharpest lens I've ever owned, but it's still very good.

The only thing I wish it had is Canon's IS system, although I realize that would make it a heavier, and much more expensive, lens. There are times, when shooting at sunrise, that the IS would be really nice but throw it on a tripod and it works just fine.

Jan 5, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Pennington to your Buddy List
asanduloiu

Registered: Feb 2, 2009
Location: Romania
Review Date: Jan 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, good colours, no distortions
Cons:
none so far...

Well, I finally managed to get it! And after a short period of using it, I can say that I'm happy with this lens. Together with 70-200 f4, I think it is one of the few bargains from Canon, just to keep you "hooked" on. It's really a good tool!!!

Jan 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add asanduloiu to your Buddy List
Olivier6

Registered: Jan 1, 2010
Review Date: Jan 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Versatility, build quality, look and feel
Cons:
A little bit soft in the corners, not as stunning sharp as the 70-200 F4.0 L or the 24-70 2.8L

I use the lens with a lot of pleasure. It used the live on my 300D but after the purchase of my 5D Mk2 it is being used as a wide angle solution.

The lens build is superb, and the optical quality is as good as it gets but not, and I repeat not, stunningly sharp! Use the versatility for many nice pictures and you will be happy.

Jan 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Olivier6 to your Buddy List
ForcedHorse

Registered: Nov 2, 2009
Review Date: Nov 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp and very fast.
Cons:
Not one as of yet

This is my second L lens (first was a 70-200 f/4L) and wow is all I can say. Great walk around lense on a cropped camera like mine.

Nov 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ForcedHorse to your Buddy List
djpapa

Registered: Nov 4, 2009
Review Date: Nov 16, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: reasonable price for the landscape range so far , good range
Cons:
same problem as 16-35mm L II but not expensive ,

I use this len almost a year now,before 17-40L i was own Sigma 10-20, 12-24 and canon 16-35L II.

I sold 16-35L II then buy the 17-40L ,because 16-35L anti flare(CA) is not my acceptable range and so expensive .

16-35mmL is the best color contrast in this 4 lens but the price are not reasonable in my thought.

For the landscape shot I'm still waiting the very good one as same as Nikon 14-24mm. hope.... will be release a real good wide angle LENS from CANON soon .

By now I may say this one is the best choice so far after i used those other 3 lens .

17-40L > 16-35mmL II > S 10-20, S 12-24.

some shot in my ablum

Nov 16, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add djpapa to your Buddy List
ERoXsDaBox

Registered: Aug 20, 2009
Review Date: Nov 16, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great lens
Cons:
A bit on the heavy side

Rented this lens just this past weekend and I'm totally in love with it. I only wish I had purchased this lens before I got my 70-200m lens.
This lens was so much fun to use and my outputs were just amazing. Great in low light at f/4.0. Great color. Like I said it's a bit heavy with my 40D. Can't wait to rent it again. At the same time saving my pennies to buy this baby. Maybe my wife will buy it for me for Xmas.

Nov 16, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ERoXsDaBox to your Buddy List
Fr3d

Registered: Nov 28, 2008
Review Date: Nov 15, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: small and light, versatile, takes 77mm filters, weather-sealed, relatively inexpensive
Cons:
huge (mostly useless) hood. corners below 20mm are won't sharpen up when stopping down

I bought this lens used for at a very low price. While does not beat my old 24mm f/2.8 prime (distortion, sharpness on 5DII) I can't complain. It comes very close when stopping down. The versatility certainly can't be beat and thats why I find myself using this lens more than the prime. I would recommend this lens to anyone who's looking for a quality super wide angle zoom with an f4 aperature.

Nov 15, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fr3d to your Buddy List
barmaley

Registered: Oct 23, 2009
Location: Russia
Review Date: Oct 30, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, rugged weather sealed construction, AF speed, good optical quality.
Cons:

I'm using EF 17-40 f/4.0L USM lens for a long time, since the year of 2005.
I'm generally happy with the results and want to share my experience.

I like very good build of this lens, I never hesitate to take it anywhere. It withstanded rainy and humid environments without a single problem. AF speed is exceptionally fast, it seems that focus is nearly instant. It has good sharpness, relatively low distortion and flare. CA is not an issue as I shoot raw and convert with DPP so they are corrected without a trace of sharpness degradation.
The only negative is that it is hard to isolate your subject from the background, but its common for UWA lens

Here is my review with sample images:

Oct 30, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add barmaley to your Buddy List
S4LTM4N

Registered: Aug 19, 2008
Review Date: Oct 24, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Fast/Quiet/Accurate AF, Build Quality, Feel
Cons:

I bought this lens for wide-angle portraits and events, and so far I am very impressed. My copy is sharp, straight from f/4, and the AF does a good job in low-lights, considering the maximum aperture. At events, the "natural lighting" is usually terrible so I tend to use a flash anyway, so the f/4 max-aperture wasn't a deal-breaker for me. I am very pleased with this lens on my 20D and will probably continue to use it for a long time Smile

Oct 24, 2009