Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM

515 995646 Sep 3, 2014
ef17-40_4l_1_

A new and affordable L-series ultra-wide-angle zoom lens that's ideal for both film and digital SLRs. Superior optics are assured by the use of three aspherical lens elements, in addition to a Super UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) glass element. Optical coatings are optimized for use with digital cameras. This lens focuses as close as 11 inches (0.28m), and offers both Canon's full-time manual focus and a powerful ring-type USM for fast and silent AF. It has a constant f/4 maximum aperture, and offers the choice of screw-in 77mm filters or a holder in the rear of the lens for up to three gel filters. Finally, it offers weather-resistant construction similar to other high-end L-series lenses.

Page:  20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27 · 28 · 29 · 30>  next

phagan

Registered: Nov 16, 2004
Review Date: Nov 16, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $665.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Zoom range, build quality, image quality, flexibility.
Cons:

Like others have said this is a great lens. I don't agree with people saying this is not a super wide lens simply because they put it on a 1.6x crop body. That's a limitation of the body not the lens because once you put 17mm on a 1x factor it is super wide. I use a 1.6x DRebel and I knew from the purchase it wouldn't offer a 17mm view. No big deal though because what other choices does one have for WA? I looked at everything from a Sigma 15mm fisheye to the Tamron and Sigma zoom offerings. No comparison in quality and future compatability. Buy the Canon and consider it money well spent. Everybody with a 1.6x body can grow with this lens because we will soon have 1x budget priced digital bodies and until then we can enjoy the heck out of this lens. What use, other than as a novelty, would a Sigma 15mm fisheye be on a 1.0x? I couldn't find one so I got this lens. I highly recommend 17th Street Photo, great service and price. I don't consider the 16-35 a competitor due to price. Image quality is very close and I can't imagine anyone being able to really tell the difference in a real life situation (unlike most tests which press every lens to their very edge of performance). Enjoy this lens.

Nov 16, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add phagan to your Buddy List
eeprete

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Review Date: Nov 14, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: • Although not superwide, quite sufficient for landscape work. • Great sharpness, color and contrast. • L 77mm ring size. • Good price. • Best walkaround lens for landscapes on a 1.6 crop factor body. • Very good quality control. • Solid build.
Cons:
• Lack of a 2.8 aperture.

99 times out of 100, you will probably get a sharp copy of this lens. For a walkaround lens on a 1.6 crop factor body, it can't be beat. Yes, there are more affordable alteratives from Sigma and Tamron, but all too often you have to worry about QC issues. If you value your time and just want to start off with a sharp lens, just do yourself a favor and pick this up.

After picking this up, I don't think I took this lens off for three weeks. Although it's not a 2.8 lens, with the high ISO performance of the 20D, this makes a perfect companion. It's also roughly half the price of the 16-35/2.8 lens.

Nov 14, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add eeprete to your Buddy List
kodos

Registered: Nov 12, 2004
Review Date: Nov 12, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack sharp, good contrast, and color. Lightweight, built like a tank.
Cons:
Relatively slow compared to f2.8 lenses in this category. Insanely shaped lens hood. Noticeable distortion at wideangle end of the zoom.

I got this lens yesterday, and WOW! have I been blown away by it. I'm even more impressed than with the 70-200f4L. I am not a wideangle shooter by any means, but the ability to take shots when in cramped spaces was appealing, and the fact that Thanksgiving (US) is around the corner meant lots of group family photos in tight spaces which this lens is great for. On my 20D it's a 1.6x crop factor so I can't really evaluate the edges on a full-frame camera, but for what I use it for, it's been awesome!

Nov 12, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kodos to your Buddy List
gmcfly

Registered: May 9, 2003
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Nov 7, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $680.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, image quality, price, fast and silent focus.
Cons:
Hood

Excelent lens. Not my favorite just because I like primes more.

Nov 7, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gmcfly to your Buddy List
shock

Registered: Oct 25, 2004
Review Date: Oct 28, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $635.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Clarity - Contrast
Cons:
None as of yet :)

I just got this lense yesterday. Granted - I am a "beginner" but, I've been working as a CG lighter for awhile and I've done enough photography to be able to tell when something looks good or not. This one is excellent!!!!

This is my first Canon EF lense and I guarantee that it won't be the last!!!

Oct 28, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add shock to your Buddy List
mudlake

Registered: Nov 22, 2002
Review Date: Oct 22, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: High quality build, full time manual focus, quick focusing, very nice contrast and sharpness. Smooth in every way.
Cons:
F4 maximum aperture. I would like f2.8 but I don't want to pay for it!

I purchased this lens mainly to use as a landscape lens on my 10D. The widest lens I have owned was the Canon 24/2.8. Seeing 17mm on my 10D for the first time was exciting! I thought, "why didn't I buy this sooner?" I haven't taken it off my camera since.

Everything about this lens is quality. Very sharp at f4 and even better stopped down. It is not heavy or obtrusive and fits nicely on the 10D. The contrast is fantastic. Not as good as the 85/1.8 or 135/2, but very good for a wide angle lens.

I think I've found my new favorite lens! Highly recommended. I can't wait to use it on a full frame camera.

Oct 22, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mudlake to your Buddy List
jthai

Registered: Aug 2, 2004
Review Date: Oct 21, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, sharp at F8, F11, F16. Nice contract. Extreme Fast focus. Constant F4, Wide angle, Quiet USM, Good quality build. Weather seal.
Cons:
Bulky hood. It is not big deal. Hood 83D II is right one for 1.6 crop. The 83E is made for film not for digital, extra cost for proper hood.

I love this lens, after upgrade from kit lens 18-55mm F3.5-5.6. I have learned on image analysis. This lens is extreme fast focus compare to my 70-200 F4L. Both "L" contract and color also sharpness are close.

I can afford to get F2.8 but for indoor shot, using flash with slow the F/stop to optimize the lens sharpness. No problem with this, I am still learning curve on using F4 for night shot. Of course tripod is needed for indoor picture. My 550EX flash is capable to fill large area.

Final word for this lens is build like tank.

Oct 21, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jthai to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Oct 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: light, compact, sharp, good contrast control.
Cons:
F4....would have loved a 2.8 in this quality.

Ive had the 17-35f2.8L and the 16-35f2.8L....at the wide end of things, this lens is leader by head and shoulders. Even stopped down the other two were close or the same but never better than this lens. I also found the glare much better controlloed on this lens. Excellent value for money.

Oct 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Oct 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: light, compact, sharp, good contrast control.
Cons:
F4....would have loved a 2.8 in this quality.

Oct 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List
clsward

Registered: Oct 6, 2004
Review Date: Oct 6, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Quick AF, Compared to previous non L seies. Built like a tank (A very solid one at that). Pin sharp at 40mm. Great balance on 10D.
Cons:
Now I can't go back to cheaper lenses.

I've come from using a 28-135 mm IS lens and some really horrible Sigma 70-200mm APO thing.

I've splahed out and gone for the 70-200mm F4 L, and this lens. I can safely say these L seies lenses are no better than my old ones. ha ha ha. Also the sky is yellow and I live on the planet Zog.

Both lenses are stunning. The 17-40mm is razor sharp at 40mm and fantastic across the range. Like other reviewers have agreed this makes an ideal walkabout lens. The contrast is unreal, and colours (colors) fantastic.

...and heres a stange thing - I like the hood, I SAID, I like the hood. It was shipped with the EW-83E so I don't know if they've changed it recently.

The guys that have mentioned barrel distortion must have a faulty lens cos this one dosen't suffer from it at all. Plus this has been shown in some reviews to be sharper than the 16-35mm at the 25mm plus range.

Just get one, If I was a female lens I'd want it's babies.

Oct 6, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add clsward to your Buddy List
bankroll

Registered: Feb 7, 2004
Review Date: Oct 6, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, IQ, cost, focal length
Cons:
Hood

I've had this lens for about 7 months now so I think I've used it enough to comment on it. First off, it's definitely an L lens Wink Build/feel/optics/etc. are all top notch; it feels great on the camera.

With a cropped sensor it gives a great focal length for landscapes/group shots/walk around lens. Other than the hood (which has been discussed plently) there isn't really anything bad to say about this lens. Personally I use it for landscapes and indoor events (with flash on bracket with lumiquest difusser) and it never disappoints.

Oct 6, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bankroll to your Buddy List
ig2003

Registered: Jul 19, 2004
Location: Israel
Review Date: Oct 4, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Wieght, Sharp, Contrast
Cons:
Hood

My workaround lens for 20D camera.

Oct 4, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ig2003 to your Buddy List
smashedpumpkin

Registered: Sep 14, 2004
Review Date: Sep 14, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,399.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, Build quality, Fast AF, Weight
Cons:
Hood, CA and sharpness in the corners

I use this lens with my Canon 10D and I'm somewhat satisfied with it - it's a good lens for that price, but it has too much CA and is not that sharp in the corners.

Sep 14, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add smashedpumpkin to your Buddy List
Hans Bertrams

Registered: Dec 7, 2002
Review Date: Sep 14, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $735.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, build, weather/dust sealing en lightweight
Cons:
The hood

This lens is fantastic, sharp, fast focus and very well build.
The price is also great for an L-lens.
Great for landscapes and interieurphotography.

Sep 14, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hans Bertrams to your Buddy List
go4it

Registered: Sep 2, 2004
Review Date: Sep 8, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality. Lightning-fast AF! Overall performance: It's a Canon "L" lens alright! Dare I say it - it's as good or better than Leica-R glass. It's SPECTACULAR!
Cons:
Wish it was a stop faster ... BUT THAT GAWD-AWFUL LENS HOOD!!! 1, It's flimsy and a little hard to attach and 2, If the red-striped Canon "L" lenses don't attract enough attention on their own, this lens hood does it - in spades!

With the 1.6 factor on affordable Canon digi-cam bodies, this lens is - in reality - a SUPERB +/- 28-65mm f/4.0 zoom. And, boy-oh-boy, WHAT a 28-to-65 it is!!!! Better than any of the reviews I've read. Better than any words from salespeople or other users. Has to be put thru the paces to be appreciated. Some have cited slight barrel distortion. Not mine. I shot some test grids and it was dead-solid perfect at 4 points within the total zoom range. Camera (10D) with the BG-ED3 grip and this lens is a tad heavy but PERFECTLY balanced. Killer images! Contrast and overall sharpness is nothing short of spectacular. Wide open, just "soft" enough to throw the background wickedly out of focus - and the subjects LEAP out of the captured image ... almost 3D-ish like. Best "zoom" lens I've ever shot with (on a digi-cam, that is. My Leica-M Summiluxes still top the charts).

Sep 8, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add go4it to your Buddy List
Kathryn Farrar

Registered: Aug 24, 2004
Posts: 1926
Review Date: Aug 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: comparatively light weight, wide angle zoom, L glass (you gotta love that red stripe), reasonable price, common 77mm ring size, solid professional feel (i can just sit and turn that zoom ring back and forth all day!)
Cons:
i sometimes wish the zoom extended to 70mm... but then it'd be heavier and more expensive, so nevermind.

this is my everyday, everywhere, everything lens. i use it on my 10D and i really feel that i have no need for any other lens. it's incredibly sharp, and it's light weight compared to some of its other canon competitor lenses.

i have had excellent results using it for landscapes - and boy oh boy, if you like hyperfocal images, you can't beat this lens. you can get right up on a foreground detail and still get a fabulous wide angle background behind it, even with the 1.6x multiplier. i've also taken outstanding closeups with it.

basically, this lens does everything, and if you have no need or desire for telephoto, this is the lens for you. BUY IT! it's awesome!

Aug 27, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kathryn Farrar to your Buddy List

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM