Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM

515 989305 Jul 28, 2014
ef17-40_4l_1_

A new and affordable L-series ultra-wide-angle zoom lens that's ideal for both film and digital SLRs. Superior optics are assured by the use of three aspherical lens elements, in addition to a Super UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) glass element. Optical coatings are optimized for use with digital cameras. This lens focuses as close as 11 inches (0.28m), and offers both Canon's full-time manual focus and a powerful ring-type USM for fast and silent AF. It has a constant f/4 maximum aperture, and offers the choice of screw-in 77mm filters or a holder in the rear of the lens for up to three gel filters. Finally, it offers weather-resistant construction similar to other high-end L-series lenses.

Page:  20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27 · 28 · 29 · 30>  next

spartan123

Registered: Nov 9, 2003
Review Date: Apr 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: "L" build quality, f/4 aperture, close focusing. Good AF.
Cons:
Flare prone, you might have to try a couple to get a good one. IMHO the optics are so-so. Build quality is "L" but the optics seem to be lacking.

I was lucky and it only took swapping the lens out once to get a "decent" performer. My first lens was just horrible on all my camera's. (300D, 2X-10D's, 1D, 1DMKII, 1VHS and Elan 7NE).

My second lens is so-so on the 1.3X sensors and pretty decent on the 1.6X sensors.

Is the lens worth $650.00 ??? Not in my opinion. $500.00 - 550.00 would be fair. I still feel it is one of the most "over hyped" Canon lenses out there.

My other WA zooms Tokina 20-35 f/2.8 ATX - PRO and Sigma 15-30 EX ASP DG constantly provide as good if not better photo's and can be bought "LNIB used" for roughly half of the price of this lens.

Would recommend this lens??? Yes, but only to Canon L snob's wanna-be's.

Apr 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add spartan123 to your Buddy List
abargath

Registered: Jun 13, 2003
Location: Iceland
Review Date: Mar 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp at all apertures, well built and light, good range, focuses fast and a good all around performer.
Cons:
Loses a bit too much contrast from flare for my taste. Lens hood a bit useless against flare on a 1.6 crop camera but still useful against blows to the front element or rain.

Nothing really that I can say about this lens that hasnīt been said before. Itīs really good and pretty much the only qualms I have with it is that it looses a bit too much contrast from flare. I have thought about exchanging it for a 16-35 f2.8 since this is the only lens I own that is slower than 2.8 but I just cant justify it yet, I mostly use it outdoors in sunlight anyway or when I use it indoors I use bounced flash anyway so the aperture has only been a factor a couple of times in about 1 year and then I have gotten away with using the 24-70L.

Go get this lens if you can live with the aperture, pretty much nothing bad I can say about it at all.

Mar 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add abargath to your Buddy List
EOS20

Registered: Mar 6, 2005
Review Date: Mar 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Good Price, Sharp
Cons:
Lens hood

I have been using this lens since I got my 20D and Have found it to be excellent!

Nice and sharp, Contrasty, and built to last.

Works well as a standard lens on my 20D but put onto my Elan 7e
opens up so many new shooting oppotunities!

If you don't need the extra stop of the 16-35mm then this is the lens for you, Highly recomended!!

Mar 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add EOS20 to your Buddy List
d10d

Registered: Nov 29, 2004
Review Date: Mar 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Wide and sharp! Close focusing range.
Cons:
f4

This lense is my first venture in to the wider end of things... I still have a tendency to zoom into things though this lens was a bit awkward to get used to at first... but the close focusing difference more than makes up for it!... very sharp lens... wish it was faster... but still recommended!

Mar 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add d10d to your Buddy List
c08as2

Registered: Dec 29, 2004
Review Date: Mar 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Sharp photos, L lens, USM, 100% crops on the 20d are phenominal
Cons:
F/4

I really love this lens, but I still find that I will be trading up for the 16-35 within the year. I love the price and the build quality of this lens, but unless I am using wide angle shots I will always use my 50 f/1.4. The constant f/4 rules out any form of indoor/low light shot. I would recommend this lens if the 16-35 is out of your price range and this lens is not needed for indoor or low light photography.

Mar 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add c08as2 to your Buddy List
Columbos

Registered: Mar 3, 2005
Review Date: Mar 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Always sharp, right on the focus, never get a blurry photo with this lens compared to the 28-105 I had before.
Cons:
Hood

Mar 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Columbos to your Buddy List
ignay

Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Review Date: Mar 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp on 1DS, excellent feel and weight.
Cons:
None that I could think of.

This is very sharp on 1DS, even at corners. I bought the Tamron 28-75 first. That itself was a great bargain lens but I went back to the shop and tested the L. Colors were the same but the sharpness at edges Canon wins, so the shop was very nice to let me upgrade (I tested the 28-75 only for a few days). I'm using this and 70-300DO for travel, perfect! Of course if someone gives me the 16-35, I would not reject but I just don't think the 2.8 version is 2X the price of this.

Mar 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ignay to your Buddy List
paparazzinick

Registered: Jan 8, 2005
Review Date: Mar 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: light, inexpensive L zoom, wide on FF, pretty decently wide on smaller frame censors. The optical qulity is just superb.
Cons:
none that I have found.

I raded to get this lens to do some portrait and landscape work. I was using a 28 f2.8 and the rebel kit lens for this type of work, both of which were ok, but now with the 17-40L, my work is so much better. I added this with my 50 1.8 and 70-200, what a nice complikent it is to them.

Mar 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add paparazzinick to your Buddy List
Tom C

Registered: Jan 12, 2005
Review Date: Mar 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely smooth mechanical feeling. Very fast auotofocus performance. The color quality and sharpness excellent.
Cons:
The furnished lens hood is huge.

I purchased this lens last week in the suburban Chicago area. I am totally satisfied with the quality and performance of this lens. Any other comments would be repetative.

Mar 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Tom C to your Buddy List
Incomplete Pet

Registered: Sep 15, 2004
Review Date: Mar 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Light weight, decent build quality, not too expensive, sharp images
Cons:
Doesn't focus hugely quickly

Bought this soon after shooting the Track Cycling World Cup, really needed a wide lens for when I return to the velodrome. It's a great lens, lightweight so you don't notice it as much as the weighty 16-35mm f2.8 L, it also produces sharp colourful images for a half decent price, what more could you want?!

Mar 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Incomplete Pet to your Buddy List
Heechee

Registered: Dec 19, 2004
Review Date: Mar 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent focal length range on a film body, excellent build quality, excellent image quality
Cons:
No 2.8 aperture, focal length range on a 20D is somewhat boring

I usually walk around with the 17-40L on a film body. If I had a 20D, I'd need the EF-S 10-22 instead.

The build quality is so good, I just need to FEEL the lens once in a while.. :-) The build quality of EF-S 10-22 is worse.

I get excellent 20 megapixel scans of the slides with my Nikon V ED scanner, but to get full shapness for that requires a fast enough shutter speed or a tripod, also probably stopping down a stop at least (not 100% sure on stopping down).

The len is just a bit large, not comfortable unless you have a battery grip attached to the body (EOS 33V or 20D), but if you have it's not that large.

Mar 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Heechee to your Buddy List
JCMILLAR

Registered: Feb 22, 2005
Review Date: Feb 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: My first " L " Glass. I am very impressed. I bought this lens to replace the kit lens that came with my 20D. I am still learning to use it properly.Images at F8 are very sharp. Like someone said " The start of " L " fever. The 16-35 must be one hell of a lens judging from the reviews. I think this lens is Super.
Cons:

Thank you all for your very helpfull information.
You have guided me to this lens and the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 SP AF DI.
This 17-40 f4 is my first " L " glass. The quality of the images are very impressive. What I have learned from these reviews is that the 16-35 f2.8 must be a great lens. As someone here wrote this lens is the start of the " L " glass quality fever.

My next plunge will be the EF70-200 F2.8, I am still pondering the IS feature is it worth the extra money ?
The experience gained first hand with the quality of the 17-40 has turned me away from the Sigma 70-200 f2.8.
" L " GLASS FEVER.

Feb 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JCMILLAR to your Buddy List
Gil H

Registered: Feb 13, 2005
Review Date: Feb 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $659.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Lighter than my 24-70 brick, sharp , Great all lens to travel with, great pictures.
Cons:
40mm is not enough and I need to take another lens to compensate for it f4 is too dark for indoor use without a flash, but I use a flash so I dont care

After buying my 24-70 lens I found out that my hands hurt from the weight, and the 17-40 was the only alternative without sacrificing quality.
I love the quality of indoor flash photograpy, outdoors I need to carry another lens to complement the telophoto range.

Feb 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gil H to your Buddy List
dmpimaging

Registered: Mar 6, 2003
Review Date: Feb 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $684.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light weight, grat for travel and everyday use. Actually sold my 16-35 after using this lens. The 16-35 was just too heavy and would squeak. This lens rocks!
Cons:
none that I can think of. Would like it a little faster but then it would be heavier.

Just another positive review for this great canon offering. This is the one lens which always goes on vacation.

Feb 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dmpimaging to your Buddy List
DEvianT

Registered: Jan 2, 2005
Review Date: Feb 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp Beautiful colour and contrast Build Quality Fast focus
Cons:
Hood is ludicrous size

Can't fault this lens. The image quality is superb. The field of view is ideal on a cropped DSLR like a 20D and it's fast quiet and built to last. Has weather seal and full time manual focus. Cannot recommend this lens enough.

Feb 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add DEvianT to your Buddy List
ijshusky

Registered: Dec 13, 2004
Review Date: Jan 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp
Cons:

The greatest wide angle lens ever!!

Jan 30, 2005