Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM

509 1030847 Nov 19, 2017
ef17-40_4l_1_

A new and affordable L-series ultra-wide-angle zoom lens that's ideal for both film and digital SLRs. Superior optics are assured by the use of three aspherical lens elements, in addition to a Super UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) glass element. Optical coatings are optimized for use with digital cameras. This lens focuses as close as 11 inches (0.28m), and offers both Canon's full-time manual focus and a powerful ring-type USM for fast and silent AF. It has a constant f/4 maximum aperture, and offers the choice of screw-in 77mm filters or a holder in the rear of the lens for up to three gel filters. Finally, it offers weather-resistant construction similar to other high-end L-series lenses.

Page:  20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27 · 28 · 29 · 30>  next

mariusg

Registered: Sep 22, 2004
Review Date: Dec 17, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: $680.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: cheap FF WA lens, weight, size, range.
Cons:
very soft esp on FF corners. Minimum F4. Extends/contracts during zoom (and it's noisy too). Bluish cast. Expensive for what it does

I first got this when I was using the 300D knowing I will update to FF soon. I knew it's supposed to be soft, but not THAT soft. The kit lens at 18mm f3.5 was sharper than this thing at F4. It could be that my kit lens was an excellent copy, but.. that doesn't matter. I also compared it with a Sigma 18-50 f2.8 and all can I say: people must be really crazy to get 17-40 for crop sensors (or to get 17-40 for 4x6 prints?). I can't believe how many positive reviews are there, I guess not everyone is able to evaluate a 1:1 crop, or not every person has another lens for comparison and spends some time with the lens.

When I upgraded to full frame I found it simply unusable for all-purpose wide angle lens. I don't use it at all, and I can't find a convenient replacement.

Summary for 1.6x crop: Really soft in corners, in center is unacceptable, sigma [email protected] is much sharper, and Canon 50mm 2.5 Macro wide open is sharper than both the long end and F4 ;-))) ([email protected] instead of 50mm of course).

Summary for FF: If you have low MP or print small, it's ok at around F8 and some crop. But otherwise is a really soft lens that you will use just because there is no alternative in this price range.

It's ok for web pictures. It does not deserve the red ring.

And no, it's not my copy, but I'm probably stricter than most people.

Dec 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mariusg to your Buddy List
Tom C. Amon

Registered: Apr 3, 2005
Review Date: Dec 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp, Great Range on my 1.6x sensor, Light weight, Fast, color, and did I say sharp. This lens is the only the second lens that made me say, yes this is what I was looking for (out of many) the other was my 70-200L 2.8. Now my walk around lens.
Cons:
f4 maybe, but you gotta love a lighter lens that you never get with the 2.8 and L

Simply just the perfect lens for my 20D and walking around. The range always seems to be there. The color is right on and the pictures are sharp. The CA is very low (with my side by side test with others).

The lens hood is small but it seems to work even though it doesn't look like it would. For all you others that complain I wonder if you are just looking at the hood and saying "That couldn't work." Well maybe Canon has actually tested it or something. Hooked it up to a optical machine worth more than any of us earn in a year. I think they do more than tape used magnifying glasses together. Ya’ think? Canon never seemed to be shy about making big lens hoods if needed.

Well I love it and think that it will also be outstanding on my next full frame sensor when I get it. This year nest year or when ever, this piece of glass will still be strong.

Dec 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tom C. Amon to your Buddy List
I Simonius

Registered: Apr 22, 2005
Review Date: Dec 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Better than the equivalent Fixed FLs 17-24 inc. (except for speed & therefore VF brightness) Close minimum focussing
Cons:
Bit ropey at the long end

I would have given higher build rating but my first two copies were duds, both had OOF areas and one clunked when zoomed. Current copy is a cracker though

Dec 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add I Simonius to your Buddy List
evangellydonut

Review Date: Dec 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $561.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp for the entire focal range at wide open
Cons:
my copy is softer at bottom right corner than bottom left...

Got it used locally, via eBay. Very sharp throughout 17-40mm F4. from 24-40mm range using Aperature priority, it utilizes faster shutter speed than the 24-105. F4 in the 24-40mm range is as sharp as my 24-105 at F5.6. However, I'm keeping the 24-105 as I'm hoping that 30D will be a 1.3x crop camera, which makes 17-40 less ideal of a walk-around lens than on a 1.6x crop.

Dec 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add evangellydonut to your Buddy List
JORDI350D

Registered: Dec 7, 2005
Review Date: Dec 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: It is very sharp at all diaphragms (even f4). It is not heavy. Very good quality and the ring zoom is very confortable to use.
Cons:
Lens hood. I prefer that was 17-50. You need other lenses in order to complement the focal range.

I think that it is a very good canon lense. Perfect in all the focal range in 1.6 factor. I know that in full frame has more problems with vignetting.
The lens hood is ridiculous for 1.6 factor. I bougth the EW-83DII lens from other Canon L lense that goes very well.
The lens has (IMHO) only one problem that you must complement with other lenses for up and down.

Jordi

Dec 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JORDI350D to your Buddy List
kendallkoning

Registered: Nov 26, 2005
Review Date: Dec 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excelent normal zoom on 1.6 AND wide angle on full frame. Optical quality, build.
Cons:

Dec 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kendallkoning to your Buddy List
LMCasey

Review Date: Dec 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $560.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, Excellent color and contrast. Very reasonable price. Excellent overall performance at all focal lengths and apertures.
Cons:
Lens hood is rediculously big.

I really can't find much to fault with the 17-40. It just does what it's supposed to do. A great lens.

Dec 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LMCasey to your Buddy List
Shaitan

Registered: Dec 2, 2005
Review Date: Dec 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Built quality, AF extremely fast, sharpness, price (for a L)
Cons:
Not 2.8

Well, I guess that I am not totally objective in this review because I was using the EF-S 18-55 kit lens before.

The pictures are just sharp (not the case with the kit lens) and warm.

However, in low light conditions (e.g., bad weather, poor indoor lighting), this lens shows its limitations (high ISO are quickly required, and the autofocus is also noticeably less precise and fast).

The shift toward the 16-35L is thus an option here ... but the price has to be considered too ...

Dec 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Shaitan to your Buddy List
dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Nov 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, small, cheap for what it covers
Cons:
silly pointless lens hood, f4

A great lens.

Not the widest, not the fastest but reliable, sharp and small. Covers 17,20,24,28,35 lens ranges and is excellent at them all (from a couple of stops down).

Not perfect wide open, but still very good.

'people' love to bash this lens, I rely on it nearly every day

Nov 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List
JohnR84740

Registered: Dec 30, 2004
Review Date: Nov 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: excellent image quality, good contrast, sharp, reasonable price for L glass, nice range
Cons:
slight vignette with filter at wide angle, not 2.8

I have been shooting with this lens for six months now, and have come to appreicate its ability to get the shot in most light. It works well for WA landscapes, interior building shots, and up close candids. Barrel distortion is acceptable for my needs, but is easily correctable in PS.

Nov 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JohnR84740 to your Buddy List
Stealthfixr

Registered: Aug 15, 2004
Review Date: Nov 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $649.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Underrated lens--absolute best buy for a WA under $1000 & shares the 77mm filter thread size
Cons:
Not 2.8

Nov 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Stealthfixr to your Buddy List
tony1989tony

Registered: Jun 29, 2005
Review Date: Nov 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact and Light - Resistance to flare - Fast USM - sharpness - contrast
Cons:
Lens hood mount grinds away against the body and produces a black powder/dust, so does the 70-200mm F4L hood. Not really L finish quality as per the 400 F5.6 L

The first time I used this was in the studio on a 10d, previewing my first images I knew I was on to a good thing, its the kind of lens that creates images that put a smile on your face, you know the pin sharp results will blow everyone away. It is cheaper that the 16-35 for a few reasons and you can tell, but having said that, in the right hands this could give the F2.8 an even match.

Nov 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tony1989tony to your Buddy List
FJoe

Registered: Jul 1, 2003
Location: Czech Republic
Review Date: Nov 13, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Solid Build
Cons:
Optical quality

I had not very high expectations, because it is an ultra wide angle zoom. But CA and corner softness is a bit too high for this price level lens. Even on my 1,6 crop factor.

Nov 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add FJoe to your Buddy List
tri vo

Registered: Jul 31, 2005
Review Date: Nov 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: great pictures right out of the camera!
Cons:

This is a great lens. I had some cheaper lenses, but I found that none of them even came close to my 50 1.8 so I never used them. Finally a lens that has great pictures right out of the camera. For those on a budget less than the cost of this lens (like me), if you can make it happen, this lens takes great pictures and I am very happy with it. Its focal length allows you to do so much.

Nov 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tri vo to your Buddy List
MartinM2

Registered: Sep 8, 2004
Review Date: Nov 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Consistent excellent sharpness, color, contrast at all apertures, all focal lenghths, and across the frame on a cropped camera.
Cons:
F4 aperture is slow for indoors

Bottom line, for this focal length and this aperture, nothing is better.
The lens is very sharp wide open across the frame, and I'm not just saying usable sharp. I have a hard time telling what aperture I shot at if it's not close up where depth of field makes it apparent.

It has that "L" color and contrast. It almost gives your photos a 10% or more boost in saturation without any post processing, and the combination of contrast gives that pop and dimension to your photos.

Build quality is as good as it gets.

USM is as fast as it gets, and FTM focus is very handy.

It's really hard to say anything bad about it other than F4 doesn't make this a low light indoor lens, but that's what primes are for.

Nov 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MartinM2 to your Buddy List
thatoutdoorguy

Registered: Jan 3, 2005
Review Date: Nov 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: excellent colors and contrast. smooth operation, typically quick focus.
Cons:
sharpness occasionally disappoints

i originally bought it to allow wide angle shots on my dreb (and now on my 20d). i have been very pleased, and it has become my standard walk around lens.

recently had a chance to use both the 17-40 and the 16-35 on a 1dsII and saw _no_ noticable differences in the images they captured.

one often overlooked bonus is that this lens has a very short minimum focusing distance which allows an interesting perspective (at the 17mm end) and good closeups (at the 40mm end).

overall very pleased. definitely recommended.

Nov 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add thatoutdoorguy to your Buddy List

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM