Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM

515 991115 Jul 28, 2014
ef17-40_4l_1_

A new and affordable L-series ultra-wide-angle zoom lens that's ideal for both film and digital SLRs. Superior optics are assured by the use of three aspherical lens elements, in addition to a Super UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) glass element. Optical coatings are optimized for use with digital cameras. This lens focuses as close as 11 inches (0.28m), and offers both Canon's full-time manual focus and a powerful ring-type USM for fast and silent AF. It has a constant f/4 maximum aperture, and offers the choice of screw-in 77mm filters or a holder in the rear of the lens for up to three gel filters. Finally, it offers weather-resistant construction similar to other high-end L-series lenses.

allanyue

Registered: Jan 29, 2006
Review Date: Mar 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great lens, sharp as razor, price, vibrant colors, price of course!
Cons:
f4, pics soft at f4,

Overall great lens. Very sharp with great colors. Lightweight and built like a tank, worthy of the "L" designation. Fast and responsive AF.

Images are soft with the aparture wide open but gets very sharp a few steps down. Not that great indoors when you cant use a flash but its F4, it comes with the territory.

Love this lens.

Cheers

Mar 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add allanyue to your Buddy List
juberisk2

Registered: Sep 16, 2005
Review Date: Mar 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: great image quality, well built, good value
Cons:
many buyers of this lens have a 1.6 crop factor camera, which compels the purchase of another hood, such as the one for the 24L or the 24-105L, to avoid using the insanely wide (but necessary) hood designed for film/full-frame sensors

Mar 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add juberisk2 to your Buddy List
OMFG

Registered: Mar 22, 2006
Review Date: Mar 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, Picture quality, great for city-walkabouts.
Cons:
Lens isn't small and the hood is definately oversized. Focus isn't as fast as other USM lenses I've used.

I'm using this lens with a 20D. The image quality is great, colors are vibrant and even on a crop frame, I find the 17mm wide enough for most purposes although I occasionally find that 40mm isn't long enough.

If you've just got yourself a 20/30/350D, make sure that this is the first lens that you treat yourself to. You won't be disapointed. This is the lens to go with these cameras, no doubt about it. Additionally, you're buying in to the EF L-Series legacy which famously holds its resale value.

A 17-40mm f4 paired with a 70-200mm f4 would be the perfect combination for a seriously competitive low-cost package. Maybe throw in a 50mm 1.8f for some low-light prime work.

One happy customer.

Mar 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add OMFG to your Buddy List
EKN_2005

Registered: Dec 7, 2005
Review Date: Mar 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $720.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great color and sharpness, comes with a hood and a carrying case
Cons:
A little on the heavy side, but it's a trade-off for sturdy construction

This was my first L lens. I'd read reviews before my purchase of this lens, but I never would've believed just how great this lens really is. The color and sharpness are amazing. I'd definitely recommend this lens to anyone who were thinking about upgrading from the kit lens.

Mar 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EKN_2005 to your Buddy List
tqli07981

Registered: Jan 10, 2006
Review Date: Mar 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $741.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp wide open. Wide enough on 20D
Cons:

Agree with all the positive reviews. Use it on my 20D. Wish it could be a bit faster, but it is me try not to over spend here, so not the fault of this baby. Just post to contribute to the positive reviews. Highly recommanded.

Mar 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tqli07981 to your Buddy List
SWMorales

Registered: Mar 7, 2006
Review Date: Mar 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: EVERYTHING! color is amazing, give up your kit lenses! no matter which one it is even the 17-85 is. this thing kicks its a mud hole in its ass and walks it dry.
Cons:
um considering its so damn cheap, not a thing!

like i said, for the price theres nothing that beats it. ive shot many a great photo on this lens and even at f4 if you shoot up your iso it works fine. People complain too much, consider what you are getting an L lens and a nice wide zoom for 600 bucks. quit your complaining. anyone who is considering this, go out and buy it. you wont regret it for a second.

Mar 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SWMorales to your Buddy List
tellingthm

Registered: Jan 26, 2006
Review Date: Mar 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: color, sharpness, build, usm
Cons:
lens hood, f/4, has infected me with L fever

unless i need the speed of a prime, this is my main lens on my 20d. colors are superb, it's sharp wide open, the af fast and accurate EVEN in low-light. as one of the most affordable L's, i find this lens an amazing value. the build quality is so amazing (this was my first L) that it makes my 20d feel sort of cheap Smile
i don't mind the "lack" of range as much as most because most of what i shoot is wide-angle anyways.
of course it's f/4, but considering that the price nearly double to get to f/2.8, it's a more-than-fair tradeoff.
the only thing that i don't like about this lens is the included hood. since canon knows most people currently buying this lens use it on a 1.6 crop, where the hood is basically useless, it'd be nice to have the option to get an alternative hood that is not so large (and thus difficult to put in a bag).

bottom line is that since i purchased this lens a couple of months ago, i am yet to be disappointed.

Mar 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tellingthm to your Buddy List
Tario

Registered: Mar 23, 2005
Review Date: Mar 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, contrast, weight, build quality, USM.
Cons:
f/2.8 at that price would be very nice of Canon ;)

Well now I know why sooooo many people have this lens. It is simply great. Good range-I thought it may be a little short ended but it is not..range is great for PJ style and fun for portariture too. Not as versatiale as my 24-105 but this gem really works well..and it's capability to catch light, color and contrast is unparallel.
Sold the 17-85 EF-S and this baby replaces is it easy.
A great buy.
Cheap price was due to good customer service and satisfaction, moreover, due to good customer appreciation.
Thanks Dove.

Mar 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tario to your Buddy List
wkoffel

Registered: Mar 28, 2004
Review Date: Mar 10, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: $700.00

Pros: Good wide-angle, even useful on 1.6x crop factor sensors. Nice color saturation. Excellent construction.
Cons:
Lens hood is very awkward. Not quite as striking a quality difference as other L-glass in my bag.

This has been a tried-and-true lens in my bag. For those thinking about upgrading from the Canon 18-55 kit lens, I have a non-technical comparison overview on my site.

Mar 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wkoffel to your Buddy List
wood1271

Registered: May 12, 2005
Review Date: Mar 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $799.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quality of both the lens and the pictures are fantastic. The size and weight are perfect for my 350D.
Cons:
The hood is wierd looking.

I purchased this lens to replace the EFS 18-55 kit lens that came on my 350D. I stressed over the price, but was glad I pulled the trigger and bought it. The picture quality is amazing. I conducted my own informal test using the kit lens, this lens and a Canon 50mm 1.8 lens. This lens blew them away. The colors and details were amazing. It was well worth the L price and look forward to my next L pruchase the 70-200 4L. I would have love to have been able to afforded 2.8's, but seeing how as this is a hobby and not my profession I am not disappointed in the least.

Mar 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wood1271 to your Buddy List
RED JET

Registered: Feb 23, 2006
Review Date: Feb 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Good portrait lens for 1.6x crop. Pretty sharp and responsive. Good build. OK price is selling point.
Cons:
Soft edges... Not really 'L' sharp. At 8MP or less, look elsewhere for good enlargements.

Good contrast and sharp if you only use the center or have megapixels to spare. Great wide angle range for film. Unsatisfactory sharpness for landscape photography. Edge sharpness suffers particularly (which means you suffer). Objects in the edges cannot be used for perspective.

Feb 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RED JET to your Buddy List
Perdu

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Review Date: Feb 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, optical quality, price, weather and dust proofing
Cons:
A hood that makes the lens look a monster

I'm giving this lens a 10 despite it's few faults because it's my favorite lens for the past 18 months.

I originally bought a Sigma 17-35 for my Canon 10D. I found it to be soft and after a week the eletronics failed. Purchased another. That was soft and failed in a month or so of use.

I gave in and bought this and was amazed at the quality, color and contrast. It's great on a x1.6 sensor and the image quality blew the sigmas away.

What's not to like:

It's a bit soft at both ends of the zoom especially wide open which is where I find I use this lens a lot. When Rita skimmed Houston last year I needed to bump the ISO to 800 and 1600. Ditto in most Texas stormy skies. I should'nt compain about this cos I knew it was f4 when I bought it. The lens hood is very large but I almost never use it and don't find I need to.

The only thing that would make me part with this lens is winning the loto and getting the 16-35 f2.8, otherwise it's a lens I'll never sell. I'm very pleased.

Feb 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Perdu to your Buddy List
Reijer

Registered: Feb 15, 2005
Review Date: Feb 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality is very good! This lens really feels like I bought something that's worth the money.
Cons:
"Only" f/4. But hey, if I wanted f/2.8, I should have saved a lot more money!

I really like this one. Actually the only place I can't use this lens is indoors at night; all other occasions it's perfect. I guess I will not part with this lens any time soon.

Feb 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Reijer to your Buddy List
seanmclennan

Registered: Feb 16, 2006
Review Date: Feb 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Solid body. Parafocal lens. Full time manual focus. Dust sealed. Silent AF.
Cons:
Worst lens hood ever. Useless in low light. Slow AF performance in any lighting conditions.

What can I say....I tried really, really hard to buy this lens. It does everything you've ever wanted a lens to do. I just could not find one that worked on my 20D at all.

The good stuff is what everyone has said. It's got the most features you can cram into a lens. It's built like a tank. It's going to hold it's value forever. The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the low light AF and general AF speed. Of course all my other lenses are constant 2.8s or faster...so I might just be spoiled on that one.

Unfortunately, every single one I tried on my 20D (5 in total) back focused at anything less than f8. If I shot a close up of a persons face, focused on their left eye...their ear was in focus. What was worst still was the camera would give me a positive focus lock when it was completely out of focus. If I focused on a high contrast object....then released focus lock and pressed it again...the lens would change focus point and give me another positive lock. Do this 20 times and get 20 different results.

It could be my 20D, but it works fine with my Canon 70-200 2.8L, Tam 28-75 and Canon 50 1.8 (ok, this one front focuses slightly).

It's a shame because I loved this lens. Everything about it was professional caliber. I would recommend this lens to anyone...I would just tell them to try them on their camera first. Well, I would advise anyone to do that with any new lens purchase for a DSLR.

Feb 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add seanmclennan to your Buddy List
coppertop

Registered: Jan 21, 2006
Review Date: Feb 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $615.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp images, fast focus, solidly built, very nice lens.
Cons:
40mm

If you can live with the 40mm end, this lens can't be beat. There was some issues with earlier copies but Canon has resolved this issue.

For me, I needed more than 40mm on the telephoto end and returned it. If it extended to 85 or 105mm, this may be the perfect lens (if the price was right).

Feb 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add coppertop to your Buddy List
borderlight

Registered: Dec 6, 2004
Review Date: Feb 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, excellent contrast, somewhat flare restistant, lightweight, good zoom range for 1.6x. internal focusing.
Cons:

This is a handy lens for event coverage, especially with a 1.6x DSLR. I used to shoot weddings with two Mamiya 6s with a 50mm, 75mm, and 150mm. This is basically the same coverage 27-65mm... OK a little short on the long end in comparison, but easily an equal by simply walking a few steps closer to the subject.

At f4 it is excellent, and by 5.6 it begins to hit the mark. I have always made indoor event shots with a flash so faulting a wide-angle zoom of this caliber because it isn't faster, or doesn't have IS is crazy. Indoors it defaults to f4 @ 1/60 (Program) at 400 ISO. This gives me flash stopping power with beautiful backgrounds. See for yourself (99% of both weddings were shot with this lens).

This lens combined with a couple of fast primes can do almost any assignment you get. Highly recommended.

Feb 10, 2006