138 139814 Jul 28, 2013
Canon_30D

Exceptional digital SLR with exclusive 8.2 Megapixel Canon CMOS Sensor and DIGIC II Image Processor

User-selectable high-speed and low-speed continuous shooting at 5 fps or 3 fps – up to 30 (JPEG), 11 (RAW) or 9 (RAW JPEG) consecutive frames when set at 5 fps and fast 0.15-second startup time

Large 2.5 inch LCD monitor that can be viewed at extreme angles up to 170

New and improved features: Picture Style for superior command of in-camera color, contrast and sharpness, spot metering and shutter durability of approximately 100,000 cycles

Impressive 9-point Wide-area AF with a dual precision sensor at the center

One-touch direct printing and improved PictBridge features, including more custom print effects and printing with shooting information

Fully compatible with all EF and EF-S Lenses and a wide range of EOS System accessories

(more...)

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

oldshutterhand

Registered: Jan 24, 2012
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Jul 28, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great built quality, very good picture quality, customizable picture style, good autofocus in center focus point
Cons:
the biggest con is the sub-standard LCD, compare to recent Dslr's only the center focus point is cross type, I would say the other points are almost useless, high iso quality are not so good than recent Dsrls, I frequently use it up iso 1600, iso 3200 is very ugly, overall is a very good value today. No video, No live view.

This is my first Dsrl. It has very good built quality, I dropped and has knocked to stone has no problem, and decent picture quality, most of my bird pictures has been made with this camera. Better picture quality than 500D for example. Some of newer Dsrl's are better at high iso department (7d,550d). Not bad camera even today.
See pictures at :www.oldshutterhand.com

Jul 28, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add oldshutterhand to your Buddy List
ken billington

Registered: Dec 4, 2010
Review Date: Dec 5, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good solid build (magnesium casing), great autofocus, good ISO range, high-speed exposure bursts at 5 fps.
Cons:

This was my second DSLR which I purchased new in 2006. In conjunction with the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM I took some great wildlife shots including birds in flight. You could say I cut my teeth on this camera body.

The only reason I sold it was to trade up to the Canon EOS 50D, otherwise I would be still using it today.

Check out the flight shots I took with this camera body on http://kenbillington.ch/photobank/Swans/

Dec 5, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ken billington to your Buddy List
Edgars Kalnins

Registered: Mar 9, 2007
Location: Latvia
Review Date: Aug 4, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: fast and easy to use
Cons:
no live view, high ISO

a very dependable camera, my third DSLR. Bought it as a stopgap before jumping FF. Been there for years now Smile
I like this camera as I bought it used for little money. It has never let me down. The only shortcoming is the lack of live view, but then it was not available at the time anyway. I do not shoot high ISO with it, but i believe you can use it up to 800 easily.

Aug 4, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Edgars Kalnins to your Buddy List
AmbientMike

Registered: Feb 3, 2010
Review Date: May 12, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharpness in RAW the same as 40D, shoots at lower contrast, low price
Cons:
Color not as good but can be bumped up in pp, Af probably not as good as newer bodies.

This is a good camera, even today. I think it would do well compared to the newest bodies when you use it in RAW.

I would much prefer this to the Rebel XT. More sharpness when shot in RAW. I might prefer it to the newer Rebels as well, even though it is cheaper, although I have not shot with them.

Sometimes I think the images might not be as good as the 40D. But bump the saturation and contrast up a notch in DPP and you might not see any difference. Haven't done too much side by side comparison. No sharpness difference in RAW even though 2 mp less.

pm me with questions.

May 12, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AmbientMike to your Buddy List
abjam77

Registered: Oct 27, 2009
Review Date: Jan 9, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great image quality, ergonomics, and price if bought used now.
Cons:
Only 8MP, not a huge issue. No live view or sensor cleaning.

These sell for 400 dollars used all the time. This is a steal for a camera that has 90% of the features of the 50D. Save money on the body and spend more on the lenses. This is a much better option for a beginner than an XS or D40.

Jan 9, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add abjam77 to your Buddy List
Lane48

Registered: Sep 3, 2008
Review Date: Nov 4, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great Ergonomics, Very good high ISO performance, Excellent image quality, Autofocus is fast and accurate
Cons:

I have been shooting with my 30D since September 2006. It was my first digital SLR; prior to that I was shooting Olympus point and shoot digital, and Contax/Yashica 35mm film. The 30D is a wonderful digital SLR. I have really enjoyed the weight and balance of this camera. The ergonomics of the camera fit me perfectly. The image quality is superb and the handling of the different camera and lens combinations are phenomenal. I only shoot with the center AF point selected, and autofocus has been fast and accurate.

One of the many things that I have enjoyed with this camera is the ability to shoot at any ISO up to and including ISO 3200. I can shoot at higher ISOs when I need or have to, and not worry about a missed shot. The ISO performance on my 30D has been very good up to and including ISO 1600. I have even been pleasantly surprised at some of the ISO 3200 photos that I have taken.

I believe Canon did an excellent job with their menu system and user interfaces on this camera. Most of the everyday important functions can be changed with a push of the button and a spin of a control wheel. It works really sweet. Most of the important exposure controls can be changed in an instant, or in some cases, a matter of seconds without taking your eye away from the view finder and the object or person you are photographing.

Some folks have complained about dust on the sensor. This is a problem that all digital SLRs have. Some better and some worse. I have had dust. Usually, a small blast of air from a squeeze bulb takes care of it. I dont believe that the 30D is any better or any worse for dust on the sensor.

Nov 4, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Lane48 to your Buddy List
Niels Jansen

Registered: Jul 7, 2009
Review Date: Jul 7, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,200.00

Pros: feels great in my big hands, nice size and build quality, high image quality, 5fps, long battery life, small increment iso's, good IQ, good performance up to 800 ISO, AF, easy of use, setting possibilities
Cons:
no sensor cleaning so -> DUST problems, no ISO indication in viewfinder, no important info on screen when shooting, no mirror-lockup

Bought this camera in december 2006. I intended to purchase a Rebel XTi (400D) but when I held this camera in my hands in the shop it felt too light, I got cramp in my hands after holding it a short while. The 30D that I ended up buying is extremely comfortable to hold for longer periods of time, even with my 70-200 lens on I can easily let the camera bungle in my right hand and walk around for hours.

This is my first digital SLR. After moving from film SLR to a digital compact I soon discovered I missed the quality and possibilities of an SLR. I am very satisfied with the quality of the pictures of the 30D and all possible settings that can be personalized. The useability of the camera is great with all the necessary buttons in the right places. I love the IQ, AF, and ISO performance (adjustable in small steps).

Dust is the only real problem that is bothering me with this camera since I change lenses a lot (EF-S 17-55 2.8, 70-200 4.0 IS and 15 Fish Eye). So that means cleaning the sensor allmost daily during a trip is a necessity. I really miss the ISO value inside the viewfinder. Mirror lockup would have been nice. When shooting birds, frogs and other remote animals with my 70-200 I sometimes miss out on enough pixels when cropping.

All-in-all this camera was the best choice at the moment and if you can pick it up at a bargain price this is still a worthwile investment.

I am currently contemplating on buying either a 40D or 50D as second camera. This way the 17-55 can stay put on my 30D (solving most of the dust problem) and I can use the extra pixels for my close up photography with the 70-200 and the fisheye shots for landscapes and architecture.

Still not sure about the 40D or 50D though. Price difference is about 200 now and I'm not sure if I need the extra bells and whistles and a better resolution screen as well as all the extra pixels (and way bigger files). Seems to me from all the reviews the way higher pixels density on the 50D has affected the image quality a little. Not sure yet...

Jul 7, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Niels Jansen to your Buddy List
Niels Jansen

Registered: Jul 7, 2009
Review Date: Jul 7, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Jul 7, 2009
jdmz

Registered: May 25, 2009
Review Date: Jun 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $420.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 5fps, quick wheel, long shutter life, small increment iso's, spot meter
Cons:
could have micro adjustment

Just upgraded from a Rebel XT to this and I love it! First of all, I spent less on this camera than I did on my Rebel XT 2 years ago. The body feels so much better and the quick wheel makes everything easier. The only thing I want from it is micro adjustment (40d)

Jun 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jdmz to your Buddy List
JRKO

Registered: Jan 12, 2009
Review Date: Apr 2, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: as below
Cons:
as below
Apr 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JRKO to your Buddy List
JRKO

Registered: Jan 12, 2009
Review Date: Mar 29, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: great feel to the controls - lightweight 2nd camera - 8.2MP is plenty
Cons:
none really when considering the cameras age

Bought mine second hand as a second body to back up and use in conjunction with my 5D (classic?)

Nice to have the 1.6 crop factor and the faster frame rate per second over the 5D.

Mar 29, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JRKO to your Buddy List
Sean Bellay

Registered: Feb 22, 2007
Review Date: Jan 30, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: nice weight, 8mp, 5fps, easy to use, battery life, great image quality, price
Cons:
not weather sealed, the third stops in ISO seem to not be very good, not being able to see important info on screen when shooting.

I've had this camera for about a year and a half now. I bought a 400 5.6L along with it and they have both served me very well. You get a lot of bang for your buck with this camera. It performs fairly well up to ISO800 but I don't go above that. It feels very well put together in my hands and is a nice size and weight. The controls are very well laid out and pretty intuitive. The batteries last forever, about 700 shots doesn't even take half of my battery! My big gripe with this camera is the screen on the top of the camera next to the shutter button. It shows the important information (ISO, shutter speed, aperture, metering mode etc) and it can't be seen on the main screen when your shooting. This can be a real pain if you shoot wildlife and you want to change settings without scaring things away. It would be nice if this could be displayed on the back that way I don't have to look up. but oh well, this is one solid camera! well worth the money.

Jan 30, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sean Bellay to your Buddy List
kengroff

Registered: Jan 5, 2009
Review Date: Jan 5, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: 5 fps, nice size and build quality, feels good in my hands, good IQ, good performance up to iso 800.
Cons:
Quite a bit of glare on the lcd, no sensor cleaning, wish it was full frame.

I bought this camera almost exactly 2 years ago, and have loved using it. Don't even feel that its really that outdated either. 8 MP has made some great 16x24 enlargements, has 5 fps (the 40d and 50d have only been upgraded to 6.5, no big deal). Good image quality up to I'd say ISO 800. Really like the feel of it in my hands, especially compared to the Rebel series. Will definitely keep as a back up when the time comes that I upgrade. Great camera.

Jan 5, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kengroff to your Buddy List
miteric

Registered: Jan 23, 2006
Review Date: May 31, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,149.00 | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

I bought the 30D 2 yrs ago. It' s now the 40D backup.
Shoot many weddings, ...Excellent IQ. you need to update the lastest firmware to have better control of IS lens. Good camera for the money. I have over 60K shots on this cam. I will keep 30D at least 3 more year.

May 31, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add miteric to your Buddy List
majo d

Registered: Dec 28, 2006
Location: Slovakia
Review Date: May 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: image quality, easy to use, many options and features, fast and reliable auto-focus, low noise, build quality, low battery consumption
Cons:
lack of sensor cleaning system

Own this camera for 6 months. It was the last piece in a shop.

Now I'm really happy and satisfied with it. Images are wonderful, clean, colours are great, sometimes wrong auto white-balance, but anyway for 8,2 megapixels it's wonderful.
Noise is pretty low even on ISO 1600.

LCD is large, has wide view angle, but it's badly visible on direct sunlight.

Only thing I miss is sensor cleaning system. When I change my lenses, dust finds its way to get on sensor.

It's great camera and I'm looking forward for our next months spent together! Smile

May 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add majo d to your Buddy List
Schuit

Registered: Mar 9, 2008
Review Date: Mar 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast AF, solid build, great colors, custom tweaks
Cons:
RAW-pictures need a lot of adjustments

I bought this camera 3 months ago. I had a Nikon D50 before the 30d so it was a massive step for me to sell all my Nikon stuff. However, I got a real good price for the D50, the Sigma 24-60mm and the Nikon 50mm 1.8 and with some trading I bought a 30d with a Tamron 17-50mm for a friendly amount of euros.

The difference with de Nikon D50 is huge. Although the 30d looks quite big the grip is a lot smaller than the one at de D50. Focusing and using the AF-system is more difficult than the D50 and takes a lot of time to get used to. After taking about 500 shots I still had my doubts about the sharpness of the camera and almost went back to the store to get another one. Step by step I learned to use the 9-point AF-system and by now I can rely on it without making faults all the time.

Making RAW-images I learned that these images need a lot of adjustments before the show their beauty. Again with de D50 it was a peace of cake to convert a RAW-image into a sharp and colourful JPG.

I think that you need the be experienced with digital DSLR's before you get yourself a Canon 30d. It may seem very simple to make great pictures with this camera, it took me a few months to make pictures that gave me the feeling I was doing a pretty good job.

Excuses for my poor English

Mar 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Schuit to your Buddy List

138 139814 Jul 28, 2013