138 139373 Jul 28, 2013
Canon_30D

Exceptional digital SLR with exclusive 8.2 Megapixel Canon CMOS Sensor and DIGIC II Image Processor

User-selectable high-speed and low-speed continuous shooting at 5 fps or 3 fps – up to 30 (JPEG), 11 (RAW) or 9 (RAW JPEG) consecutive frames when set at 5 fps and fast 0.15-second startup time

Large 2.5 inch LCD monitor that can be viewed at extreme angles up to 170

New and improved features: Picture Style for superior command of in-camera color, contrast and sharpness, spot metering and shutter durability of approximately 100,000 cycles

Impressive 9-point Wide-area AF with a dual precision sensor at the center

One-touch direct printing and improved PictBridge features, including more custom print effects and printing with shooting information

Fully compatible with all EF and EF-S Lenses and a wide range of EOS System accessories

(more...)

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

yawninghorse

Registered: Mar 16, 2006
Review Date: May 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Easy to use, solid in size, feel, and weight.
Cons:
Splotchy green noise in shadows, see link.

This is my second digital camera, my first dSLR. I simply can't fathom the improvement this will bring to my photography, coming from Sony's f828 this is a dream come true. To go with the camera I got two L lenses, and I'm simply floored at the images this camera will produce.

The only complaint I can say about the image quality is that there is a bunch of green noise in dark areas at ISO 100. Here's a link to a 100% crop of a photo I took recently (I rotated the image counterclockwise 90 degrees:

Maybe its just my camera and it needs servicing, anybody else noticing a problem with this?

May 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add yawninghorse to your Buddy List
BeyondHelp

Registered: Aug 29, 2004
Review Date: May 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Bought as a backup and am very pleased with results. Refined 20d but would only upgrade from sub 20d. picture styles are great.... in monochrome can even change filters and tone! Highly recommended!
Cons:

Great as my backup but also would be a great prosumer body for entry level shooter. All around reccommended and you will find it quite up to task for every day shooting. Enjoy!

May 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add BeyondHelp to your Buddy List
Perdu

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Review Date: May 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Coming from a 10D this camera is super responsive - all I need. Spot meter very nice and the larger screen is geat to have. Plenty of flexibility in the control you have over the camera. AF is fast and usually spot on. Solidly built. I'm very impressed with this camera.
Cons:
Why can't Canon make a decent view finder? Print button wasted.

May 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Perdu to your Buddy List
Scott1952

Registered: Feb 3, 2005
Review Date: May 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,399.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Love the build,had the 20D and it was a great rig,I like the 30D better because of the larger LCD and spot metering. IMQ also is superb

Very happy with the 30D very very nice camera

May 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Scott1952 to your Buddy List
cyclejoc

Registered: Jul 14, 2002
Review Date: May 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,379.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Upgrade from the Rebel XT. It's like night and day. Feels very good in my big hands and well built. Don't use the picture styles - prefer my own styles. Handles well in all situations so far.
Cons:
Print button is a waste...

May 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cyclejoc to your Buddy List
BtBam

Registered: Aug 12, 2005
Review Date: May 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Got this a couple months ago. It is AMAZING. Came from a 350D
Cons:

Just amazing.

I want a LCD Cover to protect the amazing screen

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add BtBam to your Buddy List
kidleethal

Registered: Oct 19, 2004
Review Date: May 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Well priced, responsive, reliable, great battery life, sturdy yet relatively light, low ISO noise, seperate RGB histograms, spot metering is a godsend.
Cons:
Has a very slight tendency to underexpose, which can take some time to get used to.

I upgraded to the 30D from a 300D which I had used fairly heavily for the previous two years. In Japan, the 30D was released at a fantastic starting price, and also seems to be terrific value elsewhere in the world.

The responsiveness and speed of the camera is very pleasing compared to the 300D - The camera will be the one waiting for you, and not the other way around (and so it should be).

Spot metering is great, the larger LCD is useful, and the battery life is superb.

Besides professionals who need the large files, weather sealing or burst speeds of the 1-series cameras, and the pretentious consumers who imagine they do, I can't think how anyone could possibly outgrow this camera. It will serve me well for years to come.

Highly recommended!

May 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kidleethal to your Buddy List
bigbossbmb

Registered: Feb 13, 2006
Review Date: May 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,349.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: great pictures, good feel, spot metering, BIG screen, better iso adjustment, everything that the 20D is...
Cons:
don't know any

I'm finally making the switch to digital. I am coming from a 30yr old Pentax, so my idea of slow and noisey mechanisms is a little skewed. Hearing that the 20D is really loud and that this camera has the same shutter was a little unsettling. However once I actually used one, I was amazed at how quiet it is.

I bought this camera with some good glass (70-200 f4L) and am enjoying the process of getting to know and use this thing to the fullest!

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bigbossbmb to your Buddy List
bart_rogue

Registered: Apr 18, 2006

Pros: Fast, great 'feel' to it, big LCD
Cons:
None for the moment, especially for that price

My first SLR! I've had it for 3 weeks and I just love it. Didn't have money for the big, expensive lenses, so I started out with the 50mm 1.8, and I just love the quality and color of my pictures!

Great camera for relatively low price!

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bart_rogue to your Buddy List
JanPhoto

Registered: Feb 27, 2006
Location: Ethiopia

Pros: For money I paid this Canon 30D is truly a "steal"...my second body is 5D and then of course 1Ds. I have 30D as a street camera and I am very satisfied with that. Quick, responsive and settings which this body is offering are right-on !!!
Cons:
It should have seal like 1Ds and this very same complain I have about 5D otherwise ... nothing else I can think of.

I am using all lenses build by Canon and I do consider them as finest! To say that, it is clear that in use of different Canon bodies consistency in color etc. is there. I do manipulate exposures in Aperture (rev 1.1) and Photoshop CS II. I found that there is not much difference in my arsenal of Canon cameras 30D, 5D and 1ds as far as quality of exposures beside the resolution. I am very, very happy, that I did purchased 30D which did complete tools I need for my photo-shots.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JanPhoto to your Buddy List
craigster

Registered: Nov 19, 2005
Review Date: May 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,369.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Instant on; great feel in my hands; pictures outstanding and a wealth of options available.
Cons:
This is a thinking person's camera once you get out of the auto modes, and just requires a lot of practice to remember all the settings, and it is especially challenging when trying to get pictures fast.

I like nearly every aspect of this camera. After upgrading from a Digital Rebel there is a world of difference - turns on and ready to go nearly instantly! The pictures I am getting wth my lens set are outstanding. I am very pleased with this upgrade and recommend it with no hesitation.

May 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add craigster to your Buddy List
photo1a

Registered: Feb 4, 2006
Review Date: May 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Ergonmics better than the XT; seems to focus quickly; better range of ISO settings than the XT; ease of making settings (after some practice)
Cons:
Seems to have a slight problem handling bright day light, but I think this is a characteristic weekness of Canon consumer grade cameras. So, I have gone to bracketing.

I traded up from the XT. I like the size and build of the 30D -- it has a good feel to it, is easier to hold and balance is better with big lenses such as the 70-200 2.8IS. The dials take a little getting used to, but settings come easier and faster with practice. I like the view window and the larger LCD. However, the LCD makes all pictures look contrasty and bright, which might not be the case when I see them on my computer. Therefore, I'm not sure whether to retake a picture or not. I'm starting to pay more attention to histograms.

As noted in previous comments in this thread, the on/off switch is a little bizarre. According to Canon, an explanation for the two position on switch is, "If you were hiking with your camera but wanted the camera to stay on you would leave it set to the ON position so the dial on the back would not operate. If the camera brushed against you while set to ON, no settings will change. If the camera brushed against you while set to the position with the line, settings would change." Hmmmmm.

The 30D will be my main camera, but I'll probably use the XT when I want to travel light.

May 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add photo1a to your Buddy List
Aliah Jan

Registered: Apr 3, 2005
Review Date: May 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,260.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Less noisy compared to 20D. very stable camera.
Cons:

I bought this camera in March and am using it together with my 20D. It is so good to have the ibgger LCD screen. I love the ISO settings that allows you to make small ISO changes. Been using this with the battery grip and with two Canon batteries. Took it on a tour and did not need to charge batteries for the length of time 6 days - shooting 4 gb plus every day minimal flashwork.

Images were sharp and particularly good but I am not use to seeing the colour and sharpness of images on the LCD screen- it seems different from the actual scene and LCD seems to make the images soft. Not sure what it is- any ideas? On computer, images looks good and sharp. Is there an LCD setting that I do not know of?

Otherwise, this is a great camera, I have also used it for really low shutter speed work 0.5sec handheld photographing waterfalls and it was amazing how steady the camera was. I like the weight balance with the battery grip. Also had the camera out in the rain for a few days of photography work, getting it all wet and drying it up after each session and not suffered any problems with it.

In fact both my 20D and 30D survived the rain and cold test extremely well. Really pleased with these two cameras and highly recommended.

May 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Aliah Jan to your Buddy List
Fodgett

Registered: May 12, 2006
Location: Iceland
Review Date: May 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,290.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 2,5" LCD, ISO in 1/3 increments, spot metering, high buffer, low noise up to 800 ISO, great RAW, light weight, good price.
Cons:
Direct print button... a complete waste. Other than that, none.

Upgraded to the EOS 30D from a 350D (Rebel XT) and don't regret it. If you're serious about photography it's definately worth the extra money.

May 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fodgett to your Buddy List
devalier

Registered: Mar 19, 2006
Review Date: May 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,900.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast, fast, fast. Focus, drive, power on, everything. Fantastic nice and punchy "out of the box" color/contrast, especially monotone picture mode. Nice balanced weight.
Cons:
Some low light pokiness. No RAW in full auto mode. Beside f-stop and shutter speed, changing settings requires a glance at the control panel and some fiddle/switching

This is a huge upgrade from my Olympus C-8080. I love it, especially the monotone jpg conversion. I cannot seem to get RAW to monotone conversion in DPP or Photoshop as good as the built-ind JPG conversion. It is very fast. Expensive in Europe, but worth the money since the 5D or the D200 are well above this price range, with nice lenses. I bought the EF-S 17-85 kit and the lens is fast and bright. Would have been nice to be able to afford a 5D, but I have two opinions on the 1.6X crop factor. First, at 17mm the converted wide angle is still very wide. Landscapes and architecture photos are wide enough for me. However, the DOF is frustrating unless I zoom in to 85mm and keep aperture at min 5.6. I tested this against the Cannon 50mm 1.8 and found that with the 30D I can achieve very nice DOF compositions.

I agree with the prior review that fast changes require push-twiddle-push. It is indeed, not always clear what you just set (if you are thinking and moving fast). Also, the 3 way on button is silly. Just always turn it on to the "non-disabled on setting". Does anyone understand the point of on without the scroll wheel function?

The final frustration is that in low light even in manual mode, the camera refuses to take the shot even though "I know" I can get what I want, especially with some post-processing. Also interesting is that it is highly sensitive to medium levels of light. I find myself frequently changing between ISO 100 and ISO 1600 just by moving a few feet from an open window (while keeping aperture/shutter constant).

I upgraded from a C-8080, so I find this camera a dream.

May 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add devalier to your Buddy List
I Simonius

Registered: Apr 22, 2005
Review Date: May 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Improvements over the 20D (higher burst rate, bigger LCD, spot metering ) are it's positives otherwise exactly as per the 20D
Cons:
None for the niche it's aimed at (Same as 20D) - Could have a more robust CF door, stooopid Print button, LCD still not bright enough (turned up full)

I guess we'll never persuade canon to put a mirror lock up (option)where the new 'try to persuade them to get a canon printer' button is.

It really is irksome to have to negotiate menus when you need to change back and forth between mirror lock up and normal shooting. But that gripe applies to all the prosumer models not just the 30D

Good points:
-bigger LCD - bad point - still unreadable in bright sunlight, needas brightness 'BOOST' Cfn option
-Spot metering - bad point -not enough instruction for newbies in the manual, wondering why they can't get good exposures with it (see various forums posts)
Size - much better size for carrying round casual shooting than the rather obvious 5D. For those that want a big pro looking camera, pay big pro prices :lol:
Higher burst rate - irrelevant to me I don't use motordrive

Bad point: for the niche it's aimed at it doesn't have any bad points

It is the best camera available in its range and apart from the minor niggles mentioned is THE perfect 8MP camera

May 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add I Simonius to your Buddy List

138 139373 Jul 28, 2013