138 140033 Jul 28, 2013
Canon_30D

Exceptional digital SLR with exclusive 8.2 Megapixel Canon CMOS Sensor and DIGIC II Image Processor

User-selectable high-speed and low-speed continuous shooting at 5 fps or 3 fps – up to 30 (JPEG), 11 (RAW) or 9 (RAW JPEG) consecutive frames when set at 5 fps and fast 0.15-second startup time

Large 2.5 inch LCD monitor that can be viewed at extreme angles up to 170

New and improved features: Picture Style for superior command of in-camera color, contrast and sharpness, spot metering and shutter durability of approximately 100,000 cycles

Impressive 9-point Wide-area AF with a dual precision sensor at the center

One-touch direct printing and improved PictBridge features, including more custom print effects and printing with shooting information

Fully compatible with all EF and EF-S Lenses and a wide range of EOS System accessories

(more...)

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

radiodenver

Registered: Apr 4, 2006
Review Date: Jun 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,399.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid performer. Easy to use.
Cons:
None yet.

I have the EOS 30D and the EOS 5D. I like the 30D for the 1.6 crop and it complements the 5D very well as a second body. I can move back and forth between either cameras with ease. Both cameras are of similar build. The general performance of the 30D is exceptional and in some regards better than the 5D (5 fps vs 3 fps). Probably the best 8 meg-pix camera on the market and a highly recommended buy. It will produce excellent photos and won't break your budget.

Jun 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add radiodenver to your Buddy List
Camm

Registered: Apr 15, 2006
Review Date: May 31, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: image quality, instant on, continuous shooting speeds, feel in hand.
Cons:
Compact flash door looks/feels so flimsy! 300d's felt stronger! I was shocked to discover sensor dust straight from the box - OUTRAGEOUS

I upgraded from the 300d, so forgive me if i sound all 'gushy' about it! Using the 30d is a total revelation. For 1200 uk pounds i got the camera, BG-e2 grip and the 17-85 IS lens.
A fabulous package that has seen my photography come on in leaps and bounds since purchasing it.

The shine was taken off however on my discovery of dust on the sensor within a few days of (very careful) ownership. I can only sumise that this was the case 'out of box' as i note several other users have had this issue. This is totally UNACCEPTABLE for a manufacturer the size/quality of Canon. Having purchased 'grey market' overseas however, I am unable to send back etc.

In balance, even with dust, I am 110% delighted with the camera and look forward to lots and lots of fantastic shots to come.

May 31, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Camm to your Buddy List
incdigital

Registered: Aug 2, 2005
Review Date: May 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,249.95 | Rating: 8

Pros: Decent Buffer, 5 or 3FPS , Spot metering, Softer shutter noise vs 20D, Picture styles from 5D, Crystal clear 2.5in LCD, ISO 1/3 stops, ISO in viewfinder
Cons:
Noise issues on my copy of 30D, Uses the horid BG-E2 for vGrip, Not much of an upgrade for 20D users

May 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add incdigital to your Buddy List
lgmmachado

Registered: Jun 5, 2005
Location: Brazil
Review Date: May 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: VF 2'5", spot meter, ISO 1/3 divisons, takes long time without change battery. Fast AF most situations, larger buffer.
Cons:
Slow AF in low light, useless print button, overexposure tendency.

Its a clear 20D upgrade but could be better with higher resolution.

Works so good with 400 2.8 and TC2x and the larger buffer makes my life easier (sport shots) but under sunlight i need to adjust in -1 or even -1 1/2 step down to compensate its overexposure. Take some time to get use to but Canon could have been solved this long time problem. For 20D users it's easy but for new user it's frustrating problem. If you change quickly the light conditions you need to adjust the bracketing to keep shooting w/o any problems.

The longer life (100.000 shots) and 5fps (adjustable for 3 or 5 fps) it's another great thing about 30D specially for sports.

The print button it's almost a joke... Does anybody have ever used it??? I'd really like to know....

The new LCD it's really good and works much better than 20D but still hard to see well under sunlight, even with it's adjustments.

I'd love it... but if you think to change over a 20D.. I'd think twice 'cos 30D doesn't have any real image improovemente over 30D, unless if the spot meter it's really usefull for your photos, or if you can sell your 20d for a good price (was my case).

I'll keep mine for a long time...

May 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lgmmachado to your Buddy List
wadeja

Registered: May 9, 2006
Review Date: May 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: ISO Range, boot up time, 5fps, customisation, LCD, and much much more...
Cons:
No RAW in auto modes, ISO not displayed full time, useless print button, hard to know how many shots are on the card (only shows shots left), quality of dials (compared to my EOS 50 film camera) - slightly disapointing, sensor dust out of the box, can't use my RC-1 remote switch.

I switched to the 30D from an EOS 50 film camera, shooting mainly Provia 100F and scanning with a Nikon Coolscan III. I've been waiting a long time for the price/power/megapixel combination of digital SLRs to hit a sweet spot, and the 30D did it for me.

The results from this camera continue to amaze. From filtered/tinted B&W, saturated colour, super sharpened images - I can dial up any combination of stuff on this camera and it sorts out a brilliant image for me.

Some of my favourite shots have been ISO 1600+ monochromes with a sepia tint. This lets me shoot in just about any any light and is great for photographing my toddler.

I shoot in RAW+JPEG mode which is great for speed/versatility at post processing (I only wish it worked in auto modes when I'm in a hurry to snap off a shot). The Canon supplied software has some high quality maths, and I think produces superior results to Adobe RAW (even though there are less adjustments).

Quality lenses are more important than ever with this camera. I got the enthusiast kit with the 17-85 IS lens (and own a Tamron 28-300 and Canon 35-135). The 17-85 took some learning, but once I found the strengths and weaknesses it produced stunning results. I particularly like the short focus distance of the EF-S mount. Don't skimp on lenses, if you do you'll forever be frustrated because the 30D takes the photo warts and all.

This is my first experience with a digital SLR, and I highly recommend upgrading to the 30D for anyone still using film.

May 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wadeja to your Buddy List
aladyforty

Registered: Feb 3, 2006

Pros: everything, the speed of the frames per second has sold me as I take a lot of wildlife photos.
Cons:
Have not found any

I upgraded from the 300D two weeks ago and Ive already taken 4000 shots. Love this camera. Im getting shots I used to miss out on with the 300D.

May 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aladyforty to your Buddy List
SloopJohnE

Registered: Sep 17, 2004
Review Date: May 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Terrific image quality, esp. at ISO 800 and above. Very fast buffer compared to my 10D. Choice of 5 fps and 3 fps. Spot meter! (WOO-HOO!) Picture Styles are an asset when shooting RAW+JPG. Strong, solid body just like my 10D; it feels like a tool instead of a toy.
Cons:
(1) Print button instead of a programmable button with MLU! (What the frack is up with that???) (2) Butt-ugly optional BG-E2 battery grip: It looks like a clunky add-on instead of as an elegant integral part of the camera the way my BG-ED3 does on my 10D. Pathetic.

Got this as a birthday present to myself two weeks ago, along with the (inferior to BG-ED3) optional grip. Shot over 500 frames already, and love it!

I still love my 10D and will happilu continue to use it as my 2nd/backup body (if I can't sell it at a good price), but the 30D is so much better in terms of the buffer, the fps options, larger LCD, and the metering choices.

And the image quality is superb; at least as nice as what I get with my 10D and in some cases --high ISOs-- better (the resolution difference between the two DSLRs seems rather marginal to me).

Except for that silly print button and the very unelegant BG-E2 Great job, Canon!

May 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add SloopJohnE to your Buddy List
TheLostWolf

Registered: Apr 16, 2006
Review Date: May 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,359.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Larger buffer, 5fps, awesome build quality. Overall great 1.6 camera.
Cons:
Why is there a print button?

Massive upgrade from my 350D.
I love this camera.

May 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add TheLostWolf to your Buddy List
bookerreese

Registered: Feb 28, 2006
Review Date: May 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,399.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: price, 2.5 lcd, 5fps, 20d upgrade!!!
Cons:

upgrading from 300d to 30d is similiar as a donkey to a Mustang!!!

May 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bookerreese to your Buddy List
cezars

Registered: Mar 1, 2005
Review Date: May 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, huge buffer, precise AF, RAW+JPG option nice for preview
Cons:
Need many 4GB CF cards to save your photos when shooting @ 5fps in RAW mode; mine came with dust on the sensor, which is unacceptable for such a camera. They should clean it at the factory just before putting it in the box.

I was just blown away when I first handled this precious thing. I'm coming from a 300D and the differences are simply incredible:

1. Shooting at 2.5 fps for 4 shots (300D) is different than shooting at 5fps forever (30D) It sounds a bit like a hand gun compared to a machine gun.

2. The LCD screen, besides being larger, is brighter and the image quality and colors are really nice.

3. You can feel the quality! The 300D with the kit lens looks like a toy compared to the 30D with the battery grip and a 24-70L.

4. The RAW+JPG option is wonderful. I really needed that. My computer is pretty slow and opening each RAW only to see the picture was unfocused took me forever. I can now open the small JPG preview (less than a 1MB) and filter good shots much faster.

I knew I would see a lot of improvements compared to my old 300D, but I'm still surprised at how well this camera performs. It really looks pro, especially with an L-lens on it Smile

May 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cezars to your Buddy List
Theophile

Registered: Apr 10, 2006
Review Date: May 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Speed of Powering On, Waking Up, Autofocus & Writing to CF Card -5 FramesSecond - Great Feature Set - Great Ergonomics wBattery Grip + E1 Hand Strap - Long Battery Life - Great Overall IQ - 1.6 Crop factor - 3 to 5DB Quieter Mirror Slap compared to 20D - Large LCD - Excellent $$$ Value !!!!
Cons:
No Full Time ISO in Viewfinder or top LCD Panel, No "One Button" MLU and Review LCD hard to see in sun light!

1st copy-Too much foregroundbackground noise creating a bad blochy bokeh with my good L-Lenses at ISO100 and good exposures (400 ISO was really bad)!

2nd copy-CMOS had 1% of upper left sensor severe vertical colored banding at 1600ISO-15 sec exp.!

3rd copy-Blue color shift to all Picture Styles, couldn't set accurate with white balance!

4th & Final copy-So far, Great (none of the above issues)!!!

Note: All "4" bodies had some sensor hot-pixel issues @ ISO160015 second exposurelens cap shots! There were 8-15 clusters of various colored pixel groups that encompassed 5-50 hot pixels!!! However, these issues didn't seem to affect IQ for normal shooting! Overall, the IQ is great, but I find the lack of a silky, smooth backgroundforeground in the OOF areas disturbing (btw: coming from 18 months and 15K shots w300D)!

If I hadn't encounter issues with the first 3 bodies, my overall rating would certainly have been a "10"!!!

May 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Theophile to your Buddy List
mbyoungs

Registered: Feb 16, 2006
Review Date: May 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,399.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Buffer size, shutter speed, Picture quality, instant on, battery life (better than 300D), keeper rate more than tripled.
Cons:
The only bad thing I havefound with the 30D is it tends to over expose in full bright sun

May 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mbyoungs to your Buddy List
Herbie

Registered: Dec 29, 2005
Review Date: May 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice display, pic.styles, fast, batterylife and many more!
Cons:
Just 8 megapixel?

Superbe camera, fast and exellent handeling. large display and everything you need for taking great pictures. Need a good lens!!

May 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Herbie to your Buddy List
condyk

Registered: Mar 14, 2005
Review Date: May 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: I can't fault this camera.
Cons:
None ...

Great handling and wonderful balance of features make it the ideal serious camera for a enthusiastic shooter who wants to balance quality output with budget.

May 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add condyk to your Buddy List
junlin18

Registered: May 18, 2006
Review Date: May 19, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: good all round, feels better in hand than 20d.
Cons:

Brought as an upgrade to 300d and man the differences are HUGE.
Very responsive and the pic styles are very handy.
Used in a trip to Yun Nan, China. See samples @

May 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add junlin18 to your Buddy List
junlin18

Registered: May 18, 2006
Review Date: May 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: bought as an upgrade from 300d and what a difference it shows.
Cons:

very responsive, love the pic styles and definitely more enjoyable as a photographic tools.

used in the trip to Yun Nan, China see some sample photos @ http://www.pbase.com/junlin18/yun_nan

May 18, 2006