138 139704 Jul 28, 2013
Canon_30D

Exceptional digital SLR with exclusive 8.2 Megapixel Canon CMOS Sensor and DIGIC II Image Processor

User-selectable high-speed and low-speed continuous shooting at 5 fps or 3 fps – up to 30 (JPEG), 11 (RAW) or 9 (RAW JPEG) consecutive frames when set at 5 fps and fast 0.15-second startup time

Large 2.5 inch LCD monitor that can be viewed at extreme angles up to 170

New and improved features: Picture Style for superior command of in-camera color, contrast and sharpness, spot metering and shutter durability of approximately 100,000 cycles

Impressive 9-point Wide-area AF with a dual precision sensor at the center

One-touch direct printing and improved PictBridge features, including more custom print effects and printing with shooting information

Fully compatible with all EF and EF-S Lenses and a wide range of EOS System accessories

(more...)

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

Radeon-888

Registered: Oct 9, 2005
Review Date: Sep 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: everything the 20D does better.
Cons:

The best in class, try it, you will buy it and love it. Nothing more I can say. Its that good !

Sep 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Radeon-888 to your Buddy List
dirojas

Registered: Jun 22, 2006
Location: Chile
Review Date: Sep 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality, spot meter, battery life, construction, user interface, autofocus, 3 channel histogram
Cons:
Viewfinder could be bigger, canon software is annoying to use, average metering (undexposure) in Av, Tv and M modes, weather sealings would be nice...

I love my new camera, I upgraded from a 300d and this a world of difference. The camera feels very good in my hands and it just weights right. The body is very well constructed and the user interface is really easy to use. I would have give a 10 rating if it has sealings for the bad weather. I live in Madison, WI, and I think I will need this feature for this winter... The price is just right, it could be more cheaper, but I think this is the best package you can buy for 1300 dollars.

I shoot everything in manual exposure mode, and I am enjoying a lot the spot meter and the exposure bracketing function. And with the 3 channel histogram, you can get the right exposure very easily. This 3 features have increased my join when I am taking pictures. The metering system tends to underxpose in many situations, just like my old 300d, so I prefer shooting in manual and get all the credit for the exposure errors...

The 5 frames per seconds feature is very useful for bracketing exposures, and then create high dynamic range images. If your hands are steady enough, mines are. I dont shoot a lot of sports, but its nice to have the capability in the camera... you never know. The AI servo in my old 300d was inusable, but in this camera works really good. I find it very useful when shooting macro shots, just select the AF point and keep it in servo with the back button, its very easy.

And then the image quality. I shoot everything in raw so I dont have an opinion about the jpg this camera produces. In raw mode the results are excellent, sincerely I dont expect the results to be that good. I dont like at all the canon software, maybe is just that I am not used to its user interface, but I tried processing some pictures and the quality did not meet my expectations. But when you use C1, all the compliments that I can say here comes into place. The colors are amazing, very natural, in a way that my old 300d never captured. I have reds that are reds now, and not oranges like my 300d. It could never get a good red, but thats another story. I think the investment in my new camera is worth just for the colors I am getting. I was pretty with the noise at high isos in the pictures of my 300d, and this camera is a huge improvement at this. I can get very clean images at iso 1600, you just have to overexpose a little and the recover from raw. Even at 3200 is really good. And the iso in thirds of a point is a really easy way to select your desired iso.

In the end, I would recommend this camera without hesitation. Its a really versatile camera, you can do sports, architecture, portraits, landscapes, macro, just everything, with a very nice tool that has all you need. The user interface is great, the camera is very quick and the buffer is huge, it feels very responsive in your hands. The resolution is enough for me and the image quality is amazing. I dont need to go full frame with a camera like this, just put some good glass in front of it and use C1 for raw processing.

Sep 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dirojas to your Buddy List
webisweb

Registered: Mar 7, 2006
Review Date: Aug 31, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid body, great colors, big LCD, flexible AF options.
Cons:
Battery life could be better (get a BG-E2), auto WB is not perfect.

I've owned Nikon cameras for many years. Last week I sold all of my Nikon equipment (D200, D70s, flashes & lenses) and finally switched over to Canon. The first purchase I've made was my 30D. Compare to D200: Nikon undoubtedly has better ergonomics...but when it comes to IQ...well, that's why I switched to Canon. Still, even a D50 has better auto white balance. On the other hand, I shoot RAW only, so it can be easily fixed in PP. A word of advice: spoil your 30D with L glass only. My next tool will be 5D.

Aug 31, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add webisweb to your Buddy List
GPDOTCOM

Registered: Aug 19, 2006
Review Date: Aug 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

I love this camera. I bought the 10d in 2003 and then bought the 30d this past May. So far, I've got about 7,000 frames on the 30d body and have been enjoying the upgrade. The price can always be less expensive, but with the performance levels increasing while the prices either stay the same or droping, I guess you can't complain too much.

The 30d has much better battery life than the 10d and the larger screen helps my tired old eyes. I do wish however that Canon would solve the sensor dust spot issue. I guess the new Rebel XTI will begin to address this problem. So, we'll have to see what comes of that.

All in all, I'm totally happy with the purchase and would gladly do it again.

Aug 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add GPDOTCOM to your Buddy List
JohnR84740

Registered: Dec 30, 2004
Review Date: Aug 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,399.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: 2.5 in screen, spot metering, 1/3 stop increments, build quality, ease of handling, intuitive, EF series lenses, good fit in my hands,
Cons:
its not a 1 series

This is an excellent camera, and I only gave it 9's because it is not a 1 series body. I have shot with them, and they are a dramatic step up, but compared with everything else available, and the price comparison, this is a definite BUY.

I upgraded from a 20 D, and will not look back! The improvements seem minor, but they are huge. Being able to select ISO in the viewfinder, and by 1/3 stop increments is a tremendous step up. Even more helpful is the three color histogram and addition of a true spot metering function. Although I have not read anything official, I believe that the focussing algorithm was also improved. Coming from a 20 D, the handling and image quality is almost identical. In an ideal world, the 5D would be at this price point and I could afford both a 1 D II N and 1 DsII. But since that is not the case, I am enamored by the 30 D.

It is not perfect, but it is defintitely a step up from the 20 D. Canon has once again produced a reliable and efficient camera that makes pro features available to the masses. Paired with L glass, the camera produces excellent images. That being said, why bother with a share button? Allow this to be programmed by the photographer. (or at least make it useful to a photographer, like MLU)

I have also had issues with the popup flash. Note to Canon: I like having it! But somehow, it needs to be sealed better. Dirt / sand gets in too easily that prevents the flash from popping up. Be careful when using in sandy / dirty environs.

Aug 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JohnR84740 to your Buddy List
lpazxxsh

Registered: May 31, 2005
Review Date: Aug 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, Build Quality, 2.5" LCD, POP up flash, Awesome IQ! Easy to navigate through the menus compared to the D200
Cons:
Canon should have boost the MP to a 10.2. But refining the 20D to get a perfect 30D. Having only 8 MP is not an issue.

There been many people and reviews saying that owners of the 20D doesn't really have a good reason to upgrade because
of the small updates in features. But to me they were significant. My eyes had a hard time looking at the smaller 1.8" screen of the 20D. Plus the 1/3 ISO stops was also important to me. The added buffer and 100,000 shutter cycles compared to the unquoted 20D made me feel better about the build quality. I think this camera will stay in my line up for a long time.

Aug 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lpazxxsh to your Buddy List
luke.price

Registered: Aug 12, 2006
Review Date: Aug 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid feel, Good battery life, one touch controls, cropped sensor, spot metering.
Cons:
Only a 10sec self timer, a 2 sec would be useful. Have to use the menu to change the picture style.

My first DSLR, and I couldn't be happier with my choice. I looked at all the options including the Nikon D70, D200 and the Canon 5D, 1Dn. But in the end this met all my requirements apart from my desire to have a full frame sensor. My desire was misguided (often is). With Canon offering the 10-22 in their EFS line up, you can still have the extreme wide angle shots, with very low barrel distortion. But every other lens you buy is better. The 50 f1.4 works out to be an 80 f1.4, making it the perfect portrait lens but about 1/10th of the cost of the 80 f1.2L and about 1/3rd of the weight. The the zooms, my 24-105 is more like a 40-180 and even better, you are only using the centre sweet spot of the lens. With telephotos, the 1.6 crop factor is a huge benifit also. The lack of short self timer is the only failing I have found, and that is easily solved using a cable release. I also liked the Nikon D200, the build quality is superb but I didn't like the multiple buttons to activate features.
Nikons also seem to have a tighter lens mount than canons, but it doesn't appear to affect the quality of the images, just an annoyance.

Aug 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add luke.price to your Buddy List
navarrosan

Registered: Jul 16, 2003
Review Date: Aug 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Mucho mejor de lo que pensaba gran calidad de imagen muy poco ruido incluso a 3200, medicin puntual , lcd iso en visor. Una gran camara.
Cons:
El visor debera ser algo mayor.

Aug 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add navarrosan to your Buddy List
nightandday

Registered: Feb 27, 2006
Review Date: Aug 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent image quality, more durable shutter
Cons:
2.5 inch screen seems useless

Yes, I actually put the 2.5" LCD screen as a CON.

I shoot with both a 30D and 20D. I bought the 30D solely for the larger LCD. I thought it would really help me check focus accuracy. Well, when fully zoomed into an image, it ALWAYS looks soft no matter how sharp the photo is. Confused, I asked around about it and was told it generates preview thumbnails that are the same size as the 20D. (I have not verified this fact but it seems accurate) So now you are just using a larger screen to view a tiny, low resolution photo.

So I actually find it HARDER to evaluate focus accuracy with the 30D. I was kind of miffed as the LCD screen is the only reason I didn't buy another 20D instead, because the two are identical in image quality. (I don't use spot metering) I need to check focus quickly on the fly as I am a wedding photographer.

But other than that, it is a fantastic camera. I love it and it is a joy to use. With cameras this great, I have NO desire to go full frame.

Aug 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nightandday to your Buddy List
ontime

Registered: Oct 27, 2005
Posts: 2023
Review Date: Jul 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,220.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Screen is huge, 3-5fps drive mode selection, iso selection (increments and VF view), spot metering, sturdy body, etc etc
Cons:
Silly print button!

I, too, have upgraded from the 350d. What a huge difference. I hated the small size of the 350d, as I have pretty large hands. This thing is a great size for my hands.

It is a big upgrade from the cheapy feel of the 350d. I know the 350d takes good pictures, but now I have a camera that looks and feels like a high-quality camera.

The 3-5fps switch is very useful if you want to document an action over a shorter or longer period of time, fully utilizing the buffer's capabilities. And - I must say - the buffer is quite impressive.

I just hope Canon does not show up with a camera between the 30D and the 5D in its upcoming announcements. I probably would have gone straight to that, I just couldn't fork out the 3-4 grand for the cameras above the 30D.

Either way, this camera will be my primary camera until I upgrade, at which point I will use this as a backup, because it is a solid, well-built, well-designed picture taking machine.

Jul 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ontime to your Buddy List
jevidon

Registered: May 14, 2006
Review Date: Jul 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: excellent build, rugged, amazing pictures, extremely fast, easier to grip than the 350D, very acceptable and manageable noise at high ISO's.
Cons:
Could use a 1.3x crop sensor as a step between the 20D/350D and the 5D, but that's not necessarily a negative thing.

i bought this camera about 3 weeks after i bought the 350D. I knew right away that the 350D just didn't feel like a sturdy camera that would handle the useage I would be putting it through. The pictures this camera turns out are truly amazing, even zoomed in to 100%. Excellent entry point for new DSLR users who want the ability to grow with their camera over a longer period of time. 5 fps makes it worthy of a 70-200 2.8L IS and a monopod and put it next to the big guns along the sidelines of any sporting event, yet you don't have to sell your house to get there. Smile

Jul 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jevidon to your Buddy List
Rigardt

Registered: Dec 15, 2005
Review Date: Jul 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Ergonamics, ease of operation
Cons:

Upgraded from the 350D. Wow! Controls are a joy to use and a fine tool for creative shooting. Only one thing I would perhaps have liked and that's a bigger sensor. I guess that would make it a 5D. Considering the price difference I'll stick to the 30. It is a huge leap from the 350 and an absolute pleasure to use. Canon picture quality goes without saying.

Jul 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rigardt to your Buddy List
krieves

Registered: Apr 27, 2005
Review Date: Jul 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,399.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Well made, easy to use, great image quality.
Cons:

I have been shooting with a 20D for the past year and a half. Since turning pro in April, I've been paranoid about having camera failure in the middle of an assignment. So, I've been looking for a backup to the 20D. After looking at getting a 30D and then using the 20D as a backup, I decided that this is best route to go.

First of all, the controls are the same between the cameras, so there is no learning curve or any mental gymnastics that I have to go thru to change from one camera to another.

Since the image quality is the same for the 20D and 30D, I get consistent photos.

All that said, the 30D as a few distinct advantages over the 20D. The LCD is much larger and much more useful to judge image quality. The 30D has a spot meter which makes it easier to use in varied lighting conditions (I shoot everything RAW and manual exposure). It also shows ISO in the viewfinder, which is nice.

I can only supply anecdotal evidence of this, but it seems that the autofocus is a little faster on the 30D. At least it seems so when using AI Servo setting.

Overall, the 30D is great camera.

Jul 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add krieves to your Buddy List
six100

Registered: Apr 7, 2006
Location: Argentina
Review Date: Jul 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Built like a tank, size (feels "right"), improved shutter life, 2.5" LCD panel, wheel & hat instead of buttons (compared to a 350D), better "menu" layout (once more compared to a 350D), spot metering truly works (though is not what I appreciate the most).
Cons:
Mine had dust on the sensor right out of the box too, but I have to admit that I didn't check on my 350D when it was new if it had it too. Wish it had more resolution (megapixels).

I was a happy 350D owner when the opportunity to switch to a 30D came...and since I knew that opportunity may not knock twice my door I decided to inmediatelly sold my (loved) Rebel XT body and got myself the newer 30D.

NOTE: all the comparisons mentioned here are between the 350D and the 30D.

The good:

It's built to last longer: You can feel it as soon as you see the 30D. Anyway I have no complaints about the build quality of the 350D.

Size/Weight: Besides this camera weights a bit more than the 350D, it size makes it more "enjoyable" when you hold it in your hands. It seems like the bigger grip makes it easier to your hands to hold that extra weight. This is definitelly a plus.

Shutter-life: According to the documentation the shutter is rated to last some 100.000 cycles...and, to be honest I expected that to be true on the 350D as well but...anyway that is a plus too.

2.5" LCD: This is really usefull for reviewing....the 350D was a bit small.

Wheel & Hat controls: This is an awesome feature...you become addicted to it. Once you try this you don't want to go back to the "control by buttons".

The new menu is "faster" than the 350D's and that is something I wasn't expecting. Interface and controls are so much better and easier to use...

Finally "true spot-metering": All I have to say about this feature is that it works. Though I still haven't taken advantage of this and to be honest it's not the more exiting feature about the 30D...at least to me. But it works very well.

The bad:

Dust in the sensor right out of the box. This is kind of bizzare...how can that be possible?

I would have traded any of the good things above for some more megapixels....but of course, that could kill the 5D.

All in all, a great camera. And quite a good upgrade from a 350D.

Some pics taken with it:

Jul 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add six100 to your Buddy List
AT30D

Registered: Jul 13, 2006
Review Date: Jul 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent camera, excellent pictures and performance, high quality, lighter than most others, great ergonomics, great 2.5 inch display, extremely user friendly.
Cons:

This is an excellent camera and I would highly recommend it.

The form, fit and functions are fantastic. Great viewfinder, display, and control wheel.

I tried the EOS Digital Rebel XT, though a nice camera, very light weight and too much plastic feel. The EOS 30D feels perfect in the hands and has the professional quality aspects.

I also tried the Nikon D70s and D200. The EOS 30D is superior to D70s, therefore, no comparison. As far as the D200 which is a very nice camera and has some better features than the 30D, I still prefer the 30D. The D200 is bigger, heavier, feels like a brick and the menu set up in the Nikon is inferior to Canon. The menu tabs in the Nikon are on the left side of the screen instead of the top in Canon. In my opinion, this kind of positioning is not as user friendly. Imagine using a computer having the pulldown menus on the side of the screen.

Additionally, Canon seems to offer more selection of lenses (i.e., specialty tilt lenses) than Nikon.

The built-in flash, when set appropriately, is more than sufficient for indoor photography.

Overall, the EOS 30D with an L-type lens is a winning combination. Unless, you need a more professional high-end camera, look no further. Canon is a leader and has the edge in digital photography.

Jul 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AT30D to your Buddy List
vnigam

Registered: May 17, 2005
Review Date: Jul 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,399.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Speed, Build Quality, LCD Screen, Workflow
Cons:
none yet

I upgraded to the 30D From the 350D (Rebel XT) - yet another convert! I had basically outgrown the XT. I struggled with the choice between the 5D and the 30D, ultimately deciding to go with a better known camera which has fixes based on lessons learned. I'm going to wait to see how Canon continues to evolve their line before upgrading again. In the end the 5D offered Full Frame (at the cost of zoom), higher megapixel, and a 50 ISO but gave up 2 fps (5 vs. 3) and $1300.00.

I bought the 30D locally, for a variety of reasons, but could have saved about $100 buying from a reputable, online retailer.

I shot a wedding this weekend and was extremely pleased with the results with the 30D. I even found several opportunities to test out the rapid-fire (servo) mode and got some usable RAW shots.

The postprocessing workflow with CS2 is an improvement over the XT. This is probably the same as the 20D, but still an improvement over the XT.

I bought the battery grip as well, and find the the combined feel to be confortable and easily controlled.

Overall extremely pleased. I'd like to see all of the same functionality with higher pixel capacity for my next purchase.

Jul 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add vnigam to your Buddy List

138 139704 Jul 28, 2013