138 138931 Jul 28, 2013
Canon_30D

Exceptional digital SLR with exclusive 8.2 Megapixel Canon CMOS Sensor and DIGIC II Image Processor

User-selectable high-speed and low-speed continuous shooting at 5 fps or 3 fps – up to 30 (JPEG), 11 (RAW) or 9 (RAW JPEG) consecutive frames when set at 5 fps and fast 0.15-second startup time

Large 2.5 inch LCD monitor that can be viewed at extreme angles up to 170°

New and improved features: Picture Style for superior command of in-camera color, contrast and sharpness, spot metering and shutter durability of approximately 100,000 cycles

Impressive 9-point Wide-area AF with a dual precision sensor at the center

One-touch direct printing and improved PictBridge features, including more custom print effects and printing with shooting information

Fully compatible with all EF and EF-S Lenses and a wide range of EOS System accessories

(more...)

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

tasos_at

Registered: Aug 22, 2005
Location: Greece
Review Date: Nov 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: huge ISO range Great price large LCD, 1/3 stop ISO control spot metering 5fps
Cons:

Canon CMOS sensor is superb at high ISO upto 800ISO, and 1600ISO larger LCD is really very helpful

Nov 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tasos_at to your Buddy List
Michael-M

Registered: Apr 21, 2002
Review Date: Nov 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,049.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: an excellent upgrade from my 20D (i wear glasses). metering is on the mark. mirrors the 5D user ergonomics. metering and exposures are perfect. images are sharp. ISO display in the VF is a big plus.
Cons:
none this time.

i say this time as my first copy of this camera when it came out was not what i expected.............noise at ISO 400 was higher than my 20D, and images weren't as sharp either, but perhaps my first copy was'nt calibrated as well as my 20D.

this second copy (bought 7 months after the first) is proving to be the best of all. images are noise free and mirror the image noise of my 5D, which is very low.
images are also sharper with all my lenses than before too.
there was talk of afflicted bodies with certain serial numbers that had more image noise at higher ISO's and i now believe mine (1st copy) was one of them.

lesson learned?...........yes, i will never buy a fist production run of anything from Canon (Canon must have learned the "buyer test bed" technique from American car manuf.'s) as there always seem to be problems.
at least now i can enjoy the 30D as i did the 20D.

one other exception (not so fast Canon) is dust. this body truly had more dust in it than any other DSLR i've owned.....not a negative, but a request, Canon, please assemble in a clean room. you make enough dough from us to make a clean assembly room don't you?

Nov 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Michael-M to your Buddy List
kimlwx

Registered: Nov 10, 2005
Review Date: Nov 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, 1/3-stop ISO increments, excellent LCD, handling speed
Cons:
"Only" 8.2 MP, "only" 9-point AF

Purchased the 30D to replace my beloved 10D.

Compared to the 10D the new 30D is amazingly fast in all aspects; start-up, writing to CF card, image preview, etc. In all, it's a very nice body to work with.

I use it together with a bunch of Sigma EX lenses, and the combo works like a charm. I love it!

Nov 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kimlwx to your Buddy List
fintax

Registered: Apr 3, 2005
Review Date: Oct 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, easy controls, spot metering
Cons:

I upgraded from the 350XT (great starter DRSL), but this is a whole new ballgame! Much better IQ & controls - I love the dials to change settings, not having to look for buttons.

I matched it up with 3 main lenses: 10-22, 24-105L, and 70-200 f/4 L. IMHO this is a great combo that will serve me for years to come....

No, it's not a 5D or 1-series, but I give it a 10 anyway, for what it is and what it does. Highly recommended!

Oct 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fintax to your Buddy List
noelty

Registered: Nov 1, 2005
Review Date: Oct 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic build quality, superb controls, 5FPS, excellent viewfinder.
Cons:
Price is a bit high but well worth it.

After having purchased a Rebel XT last fall I was hooked! I ended up selling my XT and taking advantage of this years fall rebates...boy am I glad I did!

The Rebel XT is a perfect camera for a DSLR starter and I have very few complaints having used it for a year...only two actually. The build quality is not that great and the controls are a bit weak, especially if you have large hands...but hey, you can't beat the price!

The 30D is a tank and it performs and the controls are amazing. The dial on the rear is a savior for me. I have only had the 30D for a few days, but I can tell I made a good decision to upgrade. This camera should last me a long, long time!

Oct 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add noelty to your Buddy List
Lani Kai

Registered: Oct 3, 2005
Review Date: Oct 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: ISO in viewfinder and in 1/3 stops, speed, control, excellent LCD, build, Picture Styles
Cons:
Useless Print button (needs a custom function), battery grip (BG-E2) could be better

I had a 20D and was offered a killer deal back in April, just after the camera was released, and decided "for $1,050, why not?" The improvements over the 20D were immediately obvious. The best improvement Canon made was the ISO in the viewfinder while being changed, and the fact that it can be adjusted in 1/3 stops instead of full stops. I'm also quite fond of the Picture Styles and the bundled DPP software. All things equal, the included software is so much more attractive than the one that Nikon includes with their cameras.
So far I haven't had any problems with the camera and am very satisfied.

Oct 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lani Kai to your Buddy List
phannguyen702

Registered: Mar 7, 2006
Review Date: Oct 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,182.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 5fps, excellent WB, excellent metering system, tough body, menu is easy to navigate,
Cons:
only 8mp

I just bought this camera a few days ago and I love it. I bought this as an upgrade and it's worth every penny. The camera is so much better than the 350D. I would highly recommend this camera to anyone who is serious about photography.

Oct 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add phannguyen702 to your Buddy List
toni-a

Registered: Oct 5, 2006
Location: Lebanon
Review Date: Oct 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent noise control Very responsive
Cons:
Sometimes unnatural colors with some picture styles. No dust protection No back LCD for shot settings

Quite an excellent camera.
Got it after using 300D for two years
the noise controle is awesome, the viewfinder is big and bright (not as good as the viewfinder of the AE-1 FD)
fits perfectly in my hands
the controls are easy
the spot meter is a makor plus

Oct 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add toni-a to your Buddy List
DocTP1885

Registered: Aug 15, 2006
Review Date: Oct 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid Build. Fast auto focus. Custom functions.
Cons:

i just bought this camera on friday and finally was able to test it out today. I got the BG-E2 grip with it and it makes the camera more professional looking not to mention convient. This is the first Digital SLR camera I've owned. It camed down to Nikon D200 which had better features, but I was more concerned with overall quality. After 6 months of contimplating and numerous review searching, I finally decided on the 30d. The 30d did not dissapoint at all. It was a joy to shoot with not to mention the menu was very easy to use. Only thing I would recommend is to get the body and a better glass than the kit. I bought the kit and it's nice, but would love to get the tamron zoom lens. In the end, I purchase all at one time the camera kit, bg-e2, extra battery, and 2 gig 133x wa lexar cf card. Left me with little else to get. I'm relatively new to the DSLR world, but have and good understanding of shutter, iso, f-stops, dof, and misc tech items with photography. This camera is truly a great camera. luv it. I'm sold with Canon products and even though it's only 8.2meg camera ( I don't print larger than 13x19 print) it's the quality in the end. Just because a new product comes out as higer pixels and slightly better features, i.e. dust removal doesn't justify me getting it. the 30d has all the features I need for "myself" as an enthuisist photogrpher.

Oct 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DocTP1885 to your Buddy List
Ainsley Wills

Registered: Sep 28, 2006
Review Date: Sep 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Size and weight, screen is awesome, excellent low light shooting, huge ISO range.
Cons:
None so far.

I have had GAS for one of these ever since I held one in a local shop.
I kept telling myself I should be happy with my 350D and BG-E3 grip but it still felt too light and small.
After trawling ebay I found this one for sale and the seller was buying a new 400D so I got it for a fair price.
As many have said the overall feel is so superior to the 300 and 350D, it also feels much tougher. The 2.5" screen is amazing, you can actually get an idea of what your pics are like, most unlike the 350D. The controls are much more logical and easier to use due to the better layout. I love the ISO range, again a huge improvement over the 350D and it's ability to focus and meter in low light are a big advantage too.
I'm am so happy I bought this camera and I've only had it two day but already I have improved my pics, highly recommended.

Sep 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ainsley Wills to your Buddy List
Fred Chan

Registered: Sep 25, 2006
Review Date: Sep 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Build, features, superb sensor
Cons:
None of any real consequence

I got a 30D as a back up for my 1D MkII N andif I am not working then the 30D is my camera of choice. Everything about it is just great - I have no real complaints. The thing is that in a relatively compact camera you ahve all the features and quality you need to get soem great shots.

I pair my 30D body with the Sigma 18-200DC lens - ok I know that many of you purists out there will frown on such relatively cheap and cheerful glass but the fact of the matter is that its small and compact, has a great and most importantly a very useable zoom range. I can fit len and body in a tiny Lowepro Nova 1 bag with space for my Lumix FX01 compact and either a 580ex flash or Sigma 100mm f2.8 macro lens. I cannot even fit my 1D MkII N body in the Nova 1 bag.

For travelling around and when I am away for weekend, this set up is so cenvenient and easy to carry around - the only change I might make to it is to upgrade to the new Sigma 18-200 DC OS (stablised) lens that has just been announced

So in summary - 30D - a class act and the upgrades from the 20D are alot more than just cosmetic paper upgrades - for real photoghraphers these upgrades make a world of difference and make the 30D a much better all round camera

Sep 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Fred Chan to your Buddy List
chinks

Registered: Jun 18, 2004
Review Date: Sep 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great price, large LCD, 1/3 stop ISO control
Cons:
Not much difference from 20D.

The 30D is very much, as many describe it, a 20D MkII or 20DN. If you are shifting to it from a 300D the jump may seem huge. Same as the 20D, it uses an 8 megapixel Digic II CMOS sensor, so image quality brags very little if any improvement, although they throw in the fancy pictures-styles which, after some playing with, have never ever used again.

The spot meter, something lacking in Canon’s DLSRs until now, appears in the 30D, but the question is if you are going to get the 30D just for the sake of the spot meter? Without the 10 megapixels and anti-dust Canon’s competitors offer, you really want to think real hard before plonking your money on this, seeing that rumors a 40D or 50D will be out soon following the launch of the 400D with bells and whistles the 30D doesn’t have!

What I do miss when I go back to my 20D though is the large screen. Boy it’s nearly double the size and it counts more than I had ever expected! Also, the 1/3 ISO selection is great.

Overall if you’re coming from the 20D I’d say the 30D is too little of a difference. If you’re coming from an older EOS DSLR or are looking for a back-up body for your pro models, the 30D is great value with good functionality.

Sep 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add chinks to your Buddy List
mabidally

Registered: May 10, 2006
Location: Sri Lanka
Review Date: Sep 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent pictures, spot metering, 5fps, good focus tracking in servo mode at 5fps, good at high ISO, long battery life,
Cons:
uses CF cards - wud have prefred SD cards

I was a PENTAX film SLR user and the Canon 30D is my first DSLR. It was a big decison to change (with all my old lens inventory etc) and having waited a long time I finally took the plunge. Now I am so happy. I use it for wildlife photography and it has performed like a dream. Virtually instant on, and ability to quicky shoot a subject is great. I found the Servo focus mode works really nicely on birds in flight shots.

Canon CMOS sensor is superb at high ISO and one can easily shoot upto 800ISO, and also 1600ISO is ok.

The larger LCD is really very helpful when you learn to use the histogram and the burnt out highlights etc it really make a difference.

Great camera!

Sep 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mabidally to your Buddy List
drew_viii

Registered: May 18, 2006
Review Date: Sep 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality, build, menu, functions/features, spot, large 2.5 LCD, budget, etc
Cons:
no anti dust system, no IS, bit expensive accessories (canon), 8mp? exposure problems?

Its a good camera, this is my 2nd DSLR camera, after ive used my nikon D50 after a month ive bought this one. I like the build, image quality and feautres of it... Offers great handling and ease of use, very easy to control, feels like an ipod while scrolling the menus...

though, i dont like some of the exposure settings of this camera, the battery is ok, average

but one big thing that bothers me is the 8mp camera, why will canon upgrade 20D to 30D with just minor upgrades? while recently they just realeased a 10mp camera with cheaper price though, although megapixels doesnt really bother me that much... still it makes me scratch my head

generally its a nice and descent camera for beginners and semi pros...

Sep 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add drew_viii to your Buddy List
Fabio Pignata

Registered: Sep 14, 2006
Review Date: Sep 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: build quality, 2.5 in screen, spot metering, good fit in hands
Cons:
Print button (hopefully usable for direct preview zooming!)

I formerly used a Canon 300d: the 30d is WAY better in all aspects. I even tried a 350d and the built is much much better for the 30d.
I could compare it with a 20d (almost the same, but I enjoy a lot the bigger screen).
Finally, I compared it with a 20Da: the noise of this last one is incredibly lower (shooting at 1600 with the 20Da is somewhat similar to the 400 iso of the 30d). too bad for the little screen.

Sep 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Fabio Pignata to your Buddy List
greswolde

Registered: May 4, 2006
Review Date: Sep 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great value for money*Great speed*Nice colour rendition
Cons:
ISO800 good, anything higher and you are asking for trouble.

I would have liked to see this camera in at a price point of around £675.

I have had one software failure resulting in a locked up camera for about 30 seconds.

Good camera and the 1.6 crop compliments a full frame camera in effect doubling your lenses.

Sep 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add greswolde to your Buddy List

138 138931 Jul 28, 2013