Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM

166 397533 Sep 15, 2013
8.4
111_small

Lens Construction: 14 Elements in 10 Groups
Angle of View: 102.4 - 63.8 degrees (Sigma SD format)
Number of Diaphragm Blades: 6 Blades
Minimum Aperture: F22
Minimum Focusing Distance: 24cm / 9.4 in.
Maximum Magnification: 1:6.7
Filter Size Diameter: 77mm
Lens Hood: Petal Hood
Dimensions: Diameter 83.5mm X Length 81mm
3.3 in. X 3.2 in.
Weight 470g/16.6 oz.

-----

- It covers a superwide angle of view 102.4° to 63.8°(SD format)

- Three pieces of Special Low Dispersion (SLD) elements and three aspherical lens elements produce top quality optical performance.

- Inner focusing system ensures the length of the lens remains unchanged whilst controlling aberrations.

- Equipped with HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) system

- Minimum focusing distance of 24cm (9.4») at all focal lengths.

- Relatively compact, lightweight for an ultra wide-angle zoom lens.

Brikwall

Registered: Jul 2, 2006
Review Date: Mar 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Price (in relation to Canon EF-S 10-22mm), build, hood and case included.
Cons:
Soft, poor lens cap design, slow (aperture).

I briefly tested a Canon-mount version of this lens. I was looking for something cheaper than Canon's EF-S 10-22mm and wider than either the 17-40 f/4L or the 16-35 f/2.8L.

The build quality seems good, much better than Canon's consumer lenses, including the under-built and over-priced EF-S 10-22mm. Like others, I don't like the lens cap design but that can be easily and cheaply remedied. It's nice that Sigma includes both a hood and a soft pouch. Lens extension during zooming is minimal, and internal focus is a great feature. Controls were smooth and responsive. AF was fast on my Rebel XT/350D. Distortion, in my opinion, was acceptable.

Unfortunately, the test photos I took told another story. Images were soft at all focal lengths, even at f/8 and f/16. Although I know I am not comparing apples to apples, I was amazed to see that this lens was softer at f/8 and f/16 than either my EF 24-70 or EF 70-200 are at f/2.8. That just isn't right, even for a consumer-grade lens. I have read many of the complaints in this and other forums about softness and quality-control issues with lens. I don't know about the quality control, but the softness is definitely real and definitely an issue.

I'd like to conduct more tests, if possible, just to be sure that my initial findings were correct. However, from what I've seen so far, I'd be hesitant to buy this lens unless I was guaranteed a sharp copy. And that's too bad because, otherwise, I think this would make a great lens.

Mar 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Brikwall to your Buddy List
Ian Miller

Registered: Mar 15, 2007
Review Date: Mar 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $280.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, quick focusing,nice warm colouration.
Cons:

I have been using this lens for several months now and it rarely leaves the front of my camera. Sharp at maximum apeture and ultra sharp by f8 - f11. It need careful use with images with staight lines close to the edge of the image as it will cause distortion. All in all an excellent lens for a budget price. (280 UK pounds)

Mar 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ian Miller to your Buddy List
Mono

Registered: Oct 5, 2005
Review Date: Mar 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Amazing wide angle view
Cons:

This lens spends more time on my camera than any other. I just love the wide angle offer such impact to an otherwise normal shot. Here's an example of :- http://www.pixalo.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5185/cat/500/ppuser/164

Remember also vs 12mm lenses, the 10mm end offers extra 10 degrees view

Mar 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mono to your Buddy List
redouane

Registered: Jul 7, 2006
Review Date: Feb 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $645.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price is good, good image quality and sharpness - rivals 17-40L at 17mm and 20mm, fast, accurate and silent AF.
Cons:
Some distortion (obviously) at 10mm, sharpest of course when stopped down, typical Sigma lens cap annoys me.

I like it a lot. It's WIDE and it's fun. Not everyone can afford a faster alternative, but under the right lighting and circumstances the Sigma 10-20 is a high performer. I've taken a lot of similar pics with this and the 17-40L at same apertures and is having a tough time telling them apart.

Feb 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add redouane to your Buddy List
m3rocket

Registered: Feb 25, 2005
Review Date: Jan 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $459.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Value (hood and case included); nice solid build; quiet and quick focusing; impressive sharpness; very little to no CA; great warranty.
Cons:
Quality control--first lens focus hunted, and was de-centered, which resulted in a sharp side and a soft side. Lousy lens caps.

Took some weeks to research the UWA options for use with a Canon 20D. Since I have a 17-40L, I wanted to go as wide as possible, which ruled out the Tamron and Tokina. Played with in-law's Canon EF-S, and thought it was good, but too expensive--it would have cost more than the 17-40L, and you would still need to purchase the hood for the EF-S!

First copy of the lens was bad (SN starts with 102)--it would focus hunt even in bright conditions with center focus. The hood was slightly tight fitting. The images were fine in the middle, but one of the sides was always quite soft, and has worse CA. All indications were that it was a de-centered lens. I returned it for another.

The second lens I received (SN starts with 103) is excellent. The hood now goes on smoothly, and the focus speed is fast and silent; no focus hunting! Sharpness is very good to excellent. Colors are very slightly Sigma-warm compared to the typical Canon-cool, but I shoot RAW mostly, so not a big deal to correct in post if desired.

CA is minimal to non-existent. Distortion at 10mm is okay and adjustable with PTLens, but admittedly, my in-law's EF-S shows less distortion. Vignetting is noticable wide open, but again easily corrected when necessary in post. It also seems to handle flare well.

The build is very good--I like the EX finish and I think it feels better than the Canon EF-S equivalent. Zoom and focus rings are smooth and well-damped. The included front lens cap is useless when the hood is on (I replaced it with a Tamron center-pinch). The rear cap is blah, although no less effective than the Canon equivalent.

Overall, it is a fantastic value compared to the Canon EF-S. Best of all, I'm having fun again with the wide FOV! UWA's are not for everyone--the wide DOF, distortion and FOV pose quite a compositional challenge for most amateurs. But a little bit of patience and experimentation will go a long way. And thanks to Sigma, we can spend less and get equivalent quality to an OEM lens.

Unhesitatingly recommended, provided you get it from a place that will allow exchanges due to QC.

Jan 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add m3rocket to your Buddy List
rich schinkel

Registered: Sep 24, 2006
Review Date: Jan 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: great image quality, high speed focusing, beefy build
Cons:
none what so ever

I started with the Canon 10-22mm and was not really impressed with the picture quality or the price.

After using a friends Sigma 10-20mm and compared the two I was coinvinced the Sigma was the way to go with over $200 less in price.

This is a Great lens. I find it on my camera more often than my Sigma 17-70mm (which is aslo fantastic, it replaced my 17-40L).

The pictures below aren't great (i'm still learning after 40 yrs. of photography) but they will give you an idea of the Sigma's potential.

Jan 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rich schinkel to your Buddy List
rodgling

Registered: Nov 11, 2005
Review Date: Jan 11, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: build, image quality, hsm (fast, quiet focusing)
Cons:
can't remove lens cap with hood on; somewhat front-heavy on a 350D

10-20mm is a very fun length on a crop body. Focus speed is very fast, quiet, no hunting. Build is excellent, very solid. Reversible hood & pouch are useful extras.

Image quality seems basically excellent, pretty sharp with good colours.

Only real problem is that you can't really get the lens cap on & off with the hood on. I got a center-pinch cap, but it seemed to be touching the front element (barely). Problem finally solved by putting a UV filter on the front, then the center-pinch cap goes on without any danger of touching the filter (because it's flat) or the front element.

Jan 11, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rodgling to your Buddy List
Erik Hanson

Registered: Oct 9, 2006
Review Date: Dec 31, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, light, very wide, makes for very interesting pictures, always sharp on my copy.
Cons:
hood doesn't fit as well as i would like.

After debating between this and the Canon model, I went with this after having good luck with my Sigma 70-200. I would rate this as a novelty lens as it's not my prime lens, but it makes for fun shooting and perspectives. Still quite happy with it, and bought for the purpose of taking pictures of the grand canyon by helicopter. Would buy again.

Cheers,
Erik

Dec 31, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Erik Hanson to your Buddy List
andyuk

Registered: Apr 1, 2006
Review Date: Dec 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: price construction weight sharp WIDE quiet
Cons:
silly front cap

very sharp images at 10mm right up to 20mm extreamly sharp at f5 and above.
I was very impressed by the speed and quality of focusing even though wide open it is only f4 compared with the canon f3.5... for the price it is a very useable piece of glass that seems to be attached to to my 20D most of the time...
the very silly lens cap when used with the hood could be improved and then it would score a perfect 10.
all in all the best super wide lens at twice the price.........

Dec 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add andyuk to your Buddy List
MX5NC

Registered: Dec 27, 2006
Review Date: Dec 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Well built. Sharp
Cons:
The lens cap. Nice case but don't use it.

I managed to get the ever helpful Jessops to allow me to compare the Sigma 10-20 with the Canon 10-22. Oh and do some free CF printing.

I found the Sigma felt better built and in the 30mins of testing the Sigma also yielded better (sharper) prints. So I purchased the Sigma.

Dec 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MX5NC to your Buddy List
Yiannis L

Registered: Nov 20, 2006
Location: Cyprus
Review Date: Nov 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: fast & silent AF, solid build, sharp, goes all the way to 10mm, excelent for its price, quality pictures
Cons:
incredibly stupit; once you attach the lens hood, you cant take off the lens cap. Rear cap's worse

I can say that this is the only 3rd party lens I have- after testing it with its much expensier Nikkor 12-24mm and Tokina 12-24mm.

Fast focusing, silent focusing, immidiate response!
It is not as sharp as the Nikkor -but is still extremely sharp!
It wont reveal that except when you use aperture f/8 - f/16

Other pros are that its the widest of all zoom lenses of its category and I found those extra 2mm very very handy some times, especially if you are shooting buildings and objects from which you cant go very far away.

Distortion is "fair" between 10-12mm, colour rendition is more than great! It gives slightly warm results, that I prefer anyway.

I've read many reviews before buying it - refering to some poor quality or smooth lenses - in store I asked 3 of these lenses and tested them all before buying one of 'em.
In my surprise - all were excelent!

Despite all these, when you buy this lens, remember to throw away its lousy caps and spend some £4 for a new front lens cap, because the one its supplied with, can be really annoying when trying to put on or remove from lens with the hood attached.

(at least it comes with a hood)

Finally, for half the Nikkor's price, it is a top deal and if you're looking for an ultra wide angle lens, you cant go wrong with this.

Wide angle photography is the most fun of all, and it comes cheap!

I strongly recommend this lens, but be very thorough testing it before buying, as you should with any lens, not just Sigma.

Nov 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Yiannis L to your Buddy List
woodburyb

Registered: Jun 23, 2005
Review Date: Nov 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Solid build, quick & quiet focus, DOF, good sharpness, Sigma service
Cons:
Distortion at wide end, soft and de-centered at first, Sigma QC.

I would rate this 9 overall, except my copy at first produced soft images and had the infamous de-centered issue, I had to send it twice to Sigma for correction; once the softness issue was resolved, the de-centering became evident To Sigma's credit, the turn around time was about two weeks both times and they fixed the problems.
That said I think this is a very good WA lens, though I rarely use this lens, I just returned from a Thailand/Hong Kong trip and took numerous pictures with it. It performed very well, the group I was with was jealous of my ability to get such wide shots in a frame. Sharpness is good, wide open, but better stopped down, then made better yet with a little USM in Photoshop.
The DOF is really the strong point of this lens, most of my pictures were taken at f8 with manual focus set at 3', the images are in focus from front to back.
It's versatile and easy to use, my only complaint is the (expected) distortion at 10mm, I guess there are shooting perspectives that can diminish that, I just don't know how to do it.
Great lens, highly recommended.

Nov 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add woodburyb to your Buddy List
isidor stankov

Registered: Oct 19, 2006
Location: Serbia & Montenegro
Review Date: Oct 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: quality of photograph, silence, hood and bag included, moderate price
Cons:
poor finishing, peeling of if scratched. Front lens cap

I have brought it 8 months ago. This lens is glued to my camera. If I work outside I work 80% with Sigma 10-20. This is fast precise focusing lens. On Nikon doesn't have problems with b/f focusing. Remember, this is UWA lens and focusing precision is not big problem. I found that finishing is bad and it is peeling when you scratch it. Lens looks great on any camera. Also I found that it is fun to put it on full frame. You have semi fish eye lens!

Oct 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add isidor stankov to your Buddy List
dj dunzie

Registered: Aug 14, 2006
Review Date: Oct 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: VALUE!!! Sharpness, surprisingly bright and punchy for its speed, build quality.
Cons:
Terrible lens caps, some difficult distortion between 10-12mm.

I did not intend to buy this lens. I had ambitions on buying a wide prime (20mm) initially, and planned to "look" at the Nikon 12-24 and Tokina 12-24 based solely on reviews of those zooms. My understanding was that Sigma's QC meant huge sample variation in this lens in particular.

Having said that, I believe I have an exceptional copy of this lens. It is tack sharp and for an f4-5.6 lens is surprisingly bright and punchy. I found it sharper and brighter than the 12-24 Nikon I compared it to, which I believe speaks volumes to the top sample of this lens I have. Here's a link to some test shots I took prior to purchasing:

This is the ONLY non-Nikkor lens I own, as I have never been a believer in 3rd party quality. But this lens is solidly built and feels substantial, has decent and quiet AF speed, and produces wonderfully sharp images.

The negatives I have are in relation to distortion at the 10-12mm length. It is difficult to correct, but completely fine by 12-13mm. I can live with that. 10mm is extremely wide and so living with a little "odd" distortion should probably be expected. Other than that, the lens cap design leaves something to be desired, and it takes a little time to get used to the zoom ring.

But for value? Pffffttt... it's a no-brainer if you find a good copy as I did. It's less than half the price of the Nikkor (I paid about $550 US), is extremely sharp, comes with a lens hood and a good-quality bag, and is the best-built 3rd party lens I've used. It's part of Sigma's EX DC line, made for digital sensors and their top line. Test yours out before leaving the store, and do a little pixel peeping. Mine exhibits NONE of the edge fuzziness or light falloff others have observed.

If you're looking for an ultra-wide zoom that produces excellent images, is built well, and is a good deal at the price, I'd highly recommend looking for a top copy of this lens.

Oct 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dj dunzie to your Buddy List
Pell

Registered: Apr 26, 2005
Review Date: Sep 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Price, Size, Weight, Build Quality, Decent sharpness, Works on a 1.3 crop body (above 12mm) .
Cons:
Quality Control with Sigma is pathetic, sometimes need several copies to find a decent one. When you DO find the decent one, it is quite good! It is no L, but it is still fantastic.

Great lens for the price if you can find a quality copy.

Sep 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Pell to your Buddy List
okephoto

Registered: May 23, 2005
Review Date: Aug 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: great focal length, nice build quality
Cons:
Yellow cast (easily dealt with in Photoshop)

I purchased my Sigma 10-20 in January before flying to Asia. The lens has been used primarily on a D2X with the occasional use on my backup D100. After reading reports here and on other web sites I decided to give this lens a try knowing full well that there seem to be issues with the quality on many examples. I picked up my lens a few hours before leaving (something I don't like to do) and quickly shot a few images. My first impression was that I could live with it.

What have I learned in 6 months of shooting? Firstly, the Sigma has the ability to give an amazing perspective that cannot be found with many other lenses. I have found myself using this lens more than I originally had anticipated.

Optically I have found the lens to be a mixed bag. There is a slight yellow cast that can be problematic although in Photoshop this can easily be corrected. Sharpness varies as well with images shot wide open being slightly soft in the corners with a huge improvement at around f8. My lens seems to be fairly sharp from side to side but I'm finding that this seems a little inconsistent as the odd image is soft on one side. Distortion is what can be expected from extreme wide angles and I find Photoshop can work wonders to tame some of the issues.

Would I buy this lens again? Absolutely. The lens does what I require which is to produce double page spreads in magazines and books that are of professional quality. Large prints I haven't tried but will in the future. Overall people give the images the “wow” factor which is a good sign.

Would enjoy hearing your comments and own experiences. I have put a gallery of about 60 images at http://www.pbase.com/islaguy/sigma_1020mm

Aug 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add okephoto to your Buddy List

Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM