Canon EOS 1D Mark II N

80 134359 Sep 22, 2013
1d_mkii_n

World's fastest digital SLR*: 8.5 fps for up to 48 full-resolution JPEGs in a burst.

8.2 Megapixel CMOS Sensor with a convenient 1.3x lens conversion factor, combined with DIGIC II Image Processor for outstanding image quality.

Superb body design and strength - all-metal body and chassis, weather-resistant construction and shutter durability - tested to 200,000 exposures.

New larger 2.5 inch LCD screen can be viewed even at extreme angles up to 170į.

Many new user-requested features, including RAW JPEG recording on separate memory cards, easy switching between memory cards and user-set file prefixes.

New "Picture Style" function for greater control of color rendition and in-camera sharpening.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5
Chris Procter

Registered: Jul 2, 2004
Review Date: Dec 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Built to last, great LCD and an autofocus system that is fast and accurate
Cons:
Nothing

I see some people are reviewing this camera after owning it for 2 days!!!
well I bought this when it first hit the shops about 9 weeks ago, first off I upgraded from a 20D that gave me all sorts of grief, so its fingers crossed that this one works better

the menu's took me a few days to get used to, along with the many 2 button approach to getting things done

now I am used to them, I do it without thought, and this Camera is a Pro camera - and it feels like one, well balanced to hold, and having not seen just how fast this camera fires of shots, it was quite a shock to actually see how fast it really is in the flesh, so to speak
I also like the large LCD and the folder management is far better than the 20D
the extra card (SD) is also a useful addition

the autofocus also works far better than my 20D, it really is fast and locks on like a Lazer (Very impressive)

so 9 weeks later my thoughts are that I have bought my last Non 1 series camera... I really an impressed with how it performs

Dec 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chris Procter to your Buddy List
jimyd

Registered: Mar 23, 2005
Review Date: Dec 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Its an ALL round top camera, Speed, Build, quality
Cons:
NONE

so far camera seems just as good as the 1DmkII, the new color profiles seem very handy, very nice screen...could be better in sunlight...apart from that camera is worth every cent.

Dec 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jimyd to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Dec 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Screen, Better buffer than original, better focussing capability.
Cons:
Still Heavy...LOL

Have had the 1D, 1DmkII, and now the mkIIN...not much of a change from the original mkII, but then again...how do you perfect something thats already perfect.
Top unit, extremely well designed. Cannot Fault this camera...I have been shooting with the original MkII from the first day it came out, and this camera is evry bit as good, and a bit.

Dec 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List
gbee

Registered: May 21, 2004
Posts: 1951
Review Date: Dec 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fantastic AF, I love that big screen, did not think I would but I do.
Cons:
Flash has let me down badly

Fantastic AF, I'm coming from the 1D & MKII already so this is important. The AF in servo mode no longer moves with static subjects in anticipation of movement. My tracking tests show a noticeable improvement over the previous 1D series.

This has led to sharper JPEGs and is a significant improvement, IMO the reported extra sharpness is coming in part at least from more accurate AF. I have noticed a little improvement in low light acquisition too, a little, but itís there.

I love that big screen, did not think I would but I do. The zoom is pretty neat but Iíve turned off auto rotate and am experimenting with the zoom to focus point in review. Interesting little feature.

My major gripe currently is the flash. Itís pretty much all over the place and Iíve been practicing my FEL techniques which I have not done since the 10D. Either my sample is scrambled or itís a new camera issue needing a firmware soon, is open to discussion.

Iím not yet taken with the picture styles, they seem a nice idea but I suspect some of my flash issues arise here.

I donít like the way the camera stays active with the CF door open as the camera selects the next card immediately if two are installed. The instructions say to turn off the camera, but hey, I change fast at times and Iíve been used to a quick yank out and slap in. This can also be seen as an improvement and is a small point, personally Iíd like to be able to custom select this function.

MKII owners may consider this a reasonable upgrade, particularly those of you who may have the Ďsofterí versions and shoot in JPEG mostly.

Dec 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gbee to your Buddy List
isogood

Registered: Sep 19, 2005
Review Date: Nov 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

is the sutter sound quite egal to the 20D (a problem...) or is it more silencious ?

Nov 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add isogood to your Buddy List
RWSSR

Registered: Nov 23, 2005
Review Date: Nov 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,995.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, build quality, high ISO performance, gorgeous LCD, ability to write RAW and jpeg to seperate cards.
Cons:

What can I say, this is the holy grail of DSLR's. Everything else pales in comparison. The focusing system is amazing, it's built to last a lifetime, the crop factor is a non issue and actually flattering to my lenses. The frame rate is to die for. You won't be missing any action with this thing unless you fell asleep. The picture style mode is actually very useful for when you just want to print straight from the camera and don't feel like messing around with RAW, and actually even the RAW files are pretty good straight from the camera and with a little USM added, look out!

Although it is true that a great photographer with a so so camera can outdo a so so photographer with a great camera any day, this thing definitely makes a difference in my so so photography. Essentially, if you take a lousy picture with this camera, you need to look in the mirror because it isn't the cameras fault. No post purchase regrets here!

Nov 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RWSSR to your Buddy List
Kmunshower

Registered: Nov 9, 2005
Review Date: Nov 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,999.99 | Rating: 9

Pros: Wow what can I say? The speed is awsome and is buuilt like a tank.
Cons:
You just can't pick it up and think your going to know it all.

Well I started with the D30 then the D60 and was using the 10D. Since I found myself shooting more and more sports I knew the 10D was'nt cutting it. That being said I adaptede to what I had and became pretty good with it. My main concern is what modes to be in while shooting fast action (Swimming) Not used to this camera I'm finding it cumbersome to get use to. Remember I only had the camera fro about 12 hours counting slepp time. ( who can sleep when you have this camera) lol I know I have to read more of the book but any suggestions are welcome.

Nov 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kmunshower to your Buddy List
keithmg

Registered: Sep 30, 2005
Review Date: Nov 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, machine-gun frame rate, big LCD, focus performance.
Cons:
Price, LCD can be hard to see in sunlight, need a lot more memory cards!

I upgraded from a 10D to the 1DIIN and am extremely happy. The 10D was a capable camera in many situations but, for me, it lacked in a number of key areas: frame rate, focus speed, high ISO performance. The 1DIIN delivers in all of these areas.

This is a fantastic camera and has been worth the wait. It is superbly built and fires like a machine gun! Of course, that means that you need plenty of CF cards :-)

Whist the build quality is brilliant, this comes at the expense of weight. This is a heavy camera! Walking around with the 24-70L is pretty tiring; doing it with the 70-200L is down-right exhausting!

Thoroughly recommended!

Nov 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add keithmg to your Buddy List
condrup.net

Registered: Sep 7, 2005
Review Date: Oct 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build like a tank. Designed as a french female model. Delicate, strong, bad, black, fast, LCD is like a movie theatre. Now i know what "by photographers for photographers.
Cons:
Are you kidding me ? ;-)

Ok, let me catch my breath for a sec..

Alright, lets go.. Let me see.. Started out with a EOS 300D back in December 2003. Then switched to EOS 20D in March 2004, then purchased the Mark II N, 2 days ago...

Ok, im freaking here, let me get a grib for a sec..

Right, back.. Well, i once read something bout the 1D MKII series, something like:

"Made by photographers, for photographers"

You know what ? IT IS TRUE! :D

It is amazing how this piece of equipment is designed, build and put together. Everything is where it is supposed to be, nothing has been forgotten, its all there. If you make a mistake, dont blame this camera, please blame yourself.

I received it 2 days ago, with UPS. Packed in a large cardboard box, secured with lots of soft material. I opened the package, what do i see.. A shinny black box, with the letter D on it, in grey font. I was like.. ok. this is not the usual red/white Canon box, with an image of the content..

I was actually going Pro with this purchase..

After ive examined the entire content, i charged the battery, 120 min total, then you have 1200 shots at 20 degrees celcius, or 800 shots at 9 degrees celcius, now that is impressive! The charger is awesome, able to recharge the battery first, by draining it, then make a new and fresh full charge. It has room for 2 batteries, only one charge at a time though. But thats ok.. You also get an AC adapter, so you can use the power instead of the battery, incase you work in doors, in studio. Nice feature.

After a few hours of reading the manual, it was time to plug in the new and fresh recharged battery, it slides in, locks very careful and secure. Before you do, make sure you feel the rubber on the edges, yes baby, this thing is 100% dust and moist proof.

When you hear the shutter for the first time, you go "huh?" what was that ? It is fast, it is cool, it makes you go "yeah"

LCD screen, well 2.5 inch isnt a revolution, but my god it is a revolution on a camera like this.. its bright, crisp and i love it.

The design is sweet, all the buttons are placed very intelligent. I know some have trouble adjusting from cameras like 20Ds, i have not. I had made up my mind from the beginning, this is a new camera, this is Pro, lets take it from the beginning and i did. I know the thing with holding 1 or 2 buttons to change settings or something else, takes practice, but when you understand why you have to (security, failure) you just do it.

The menu is just as easy as any other Canon D-SLR, just different looks and navigation, but not much.

The new picture styles, are actually very nice. You may not like them, then dont, but trust me, they can be very handy. Should it get you into trouble, well you still shoot in RAW, right ? :-)

Conclusion:

If you are looking for the EOS 5D, due to the fullframe, forget it..

If you are looking for the 1D MKII, then dont, this is the improved model.

If you want to go Pro camera, but do not have the money for the 1Ds MKII, this is your thing. It may "only" be at 8.2 Megapixels, but lets be honest, it can do most jobs for a long time still. My main work is portraits, weddings, some fashion and once in a while nature/landscapes. It works like a charm.

This "baby" has so many custom functions, it can keep you awake for several nights and days. The 45 AF points, you have to see for yourself. If they become too many for you to "handle", dont worry, you can preset it to 7, 9 or 11 instead.

Short story: You want the fastest, the best the badest boy in town, you go with the EOS 1D Mark II N. Unless you need the fullframe 16.8 Megapixels, you take the big brother..

This camera forfilled my wildest dreams, im in love and i will be for a very long time.

Note: Im using the EF 17-40mm f/4.0L lens, it works great with the camera.

Now, what are you waiting for, go buy it :-)

Oct 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add condrup.net to your Buddy List
Tony Sirgedas

Registered: Jan 25, 2002
Review Date: Oct 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,899.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: The LCD screen...... gotta love that big thing. Dual memory slots and being able to put RAW on one and jpeg on the other. The build is great and the seals again on the 1 series are wonders for wet weather shooting. Blazing speed when needed. Lower noise at higher ISO. The picture styles settings are nice too. Auto rotate of images.
Cons:
Also disappointed in RAW converters available. Having a hard time finding exactly where the fire point is on the shutter button, might need to be "broken in" before it smooths out some. Canon software.

Going from the original 1D to this is a dream, just the larger LCD screen alone makes it worthwhile. From the list above you can see there's alot I like about the camera. Thought I would use the 1D as a backup to this or second body with different lens, but there's just no way to consider it when comparing images from both at the same shoot.
I haven't used the Canon software for several years now and with few RAW converters for the CR2 RAW format I'm just not happy with the DPP program yet.
Did I mention the nice larger screen?? Smile

Oct 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tony Sirgedas to your Buddy List
optician

Registered: Oct 16, 2004
Review Date: Oct 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Nothing touches it for speed, a true professional product
Cons:

Just in response to some earlier reviewers. One complains about the model being two years old. You're reviewing the wrong camera as this is the N version of the 1DMKII.

Upgraders from 300D, 20D etc won't like the menu system at first. It's designed so that you can't accidentally change settings, delete pictures etc. That's why everything needs one or two buttons held while you turn one of the wheels.

You *will* get used to this and you'll soon find it easy and intuitive.

The camera is a blinding bit of kit. If you get a bad shot it's your fault, not the camera's fault. With cheaper cams, they sometimes focus too slowly, the buffer fills too quickly etc, not with the 1D Mk II or the 1D Mk II N

I didn't think it was possible to feel real love for an inanimate object til I got one of these, now I want to marry it and have it bear my children Smile

Oct 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add optician to your Buddy List
pmacino

Registered: Jun 1, 2005
Review Date: Oct 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build Quality, speed, fast AF, AF precision. bigger LCD,
Cons:
slight learning curve of operation.

I've had this camera now just over three weeks and it never fails to disappoint. Everytime I walk away from a gig, I'm happy I moved into this body. No regrets and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a precision workhorse.

Oct 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add pmacino to your Buddy List
mrogers

Registered: Sep 28, 2004
Review Date: Oct 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: AI Servo and auto focus seems more accurate than the early 1d Markll, 1st try yeilded 300 out 300 focused shots while shooting surfing, seems to be less noise in the higher ISO range...
Cons:
Cost

My original Mark ll has become my back up body.....this model (1d Markll n) seemed to address most of the short commings of the 1st edition and know only time and experience with it will tell.

Oct 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mrogers to your Buddy List
dehowie

Registered: Oct 21, 2004
Review Date: Oct 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great AF and superb build quality.Really exactly what you expect for the price.
Cons:
Price and less user friendly controls than 20D.

Well having upgraded from a 20D this is exactly what i was expecting.
Amazing AF that works superbly even with my 500F4 and Sigma 2x giving some exceptional results which have staggered me a little.
Blows the 20D into the weeds.
The menu system is not as easy to operate as the 20D's being more messey and not as intuitive.
Blistering speed at 8FPS!!
Built like the proverbial tank and quite weighty this thing is built to live on the edge.
SO in summmary.
Awesome AF.
Great build.
Huge feature list.
Complex menu operation.
Built to last.
One satisfied customer!!

Oct 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dehowie to your Buddy List
yido

Registered: Sep 11, 2005
Review Date: Oct 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,999.95 | Rating: 9

Pros: Feels like a solid piece of magnesium covered in rubber. All the buttons and controls feel more precise than 20D/300D. Large viewfinder now with ISO. High buffer, two cards for memory, 2.5inch LCD, fast autofocus, extremely robust performance, and 8.5fps.
Cons:
Only one or two current RAW converters right now. LCD needs to be brighter. Usually requires two buttons to be pressed to make changes to avoid accidently changing settings. Price is a bit high considering this camera is almost 2 years old now.

Oct 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add yido to your Buddy List
leftoval

Registered: Sep 28, 2005
Review Date: Oct 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Just picked one up today. Solid build, more complicated to use than my 20D. Expect it to be a faster, more robust 20D
Cons:
Too early to tell. I hope Photoshop's RAW converter will apply to the Mark II n soon.

I'm a converted Nikon photographer and am enjoying a variety of Canon's products. The Mark II n seems to be more tank-like than my D2X and I expect excellent images in the ISO 400 -800 range. The weight is a little daunting, especially with a heavy lens like the 24-70mm.

Oct 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add leftoval to your Buddy List

Canon EOS 1D Mark II N