Canon EOS 1D Mark II N

80 136021 Sep 22, 2013
1d_mkii_n

World's fastest digital SLR*: 8.5 fps for up to 48 full-resolution JPEGs in a burst.

8.2 Megapixel CMOS Sensor with a convenient 1.3x lens conversion factor, combined with DIGIC II Image Processor for outstanding image quality.

Superb body design and strength - all-metal body and chassis, weather-resistant construction and shutter durability - tested to 200,000 exposures.

New larger 2.5 inch LCD screen can be viewed even at extreme angles up to 170.

Many new user-requested features, including RAW JPEG recording on separate memory cards, easy switching between memory cards and user-set file prefixes.

New "Picture Style" function for greater control of color rendition and in-camera sharpening.

bbudman

Registered: Dec 22, 2005
Review Date: Mar 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,995.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superior AF system, 8.5 FPS puts everything else to shame, Excellent battery life, Out of camera JPEGS look wonderful, Weather sealed, Personal functions as well as a host of custom functions to further personalize to your taste, Dual memory cards, Rock Solid Build!
Cons:
Heavy with big glass attached, Display still hard to see in bright sunlight, Expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for!

With the right tools you can accomplish anything. That is now my opinion of the 1DMkIIn! I have shot 35mm for years and made the switch to digital when Canon introduced the D30. Since that time I have owned several other Canon digital SLR's but nothing even comes close to this camera in terms of function and quality. This camera was built with the action photographer in mind. From the highly accurate AF system to the weather sealed exterior, there is little not to like about this camera!

I enjoy shooting wildlife, especially birds in flight and I will tell you right now that I have held nothing else that compares to this camera in terms of AF speed and accuracy. My first weekend out on the lake captured 137 images of birds in flight with one out of focus, and that was my fault! Also at 8.5 FPS you will have a really hard time missing that action shot such as a duck first touching down on the water or an eagle making the catch! It really is that fast.

Owners who wish to personalize this camera to their taste will appreciate the host of custom functions as well as the personal functions. Camera settings can even be saved to the memory card and transferred to another 1DMk2n in the event you wished to clone two cameras to the same settings.

Another thing I noticed is that the auto white balance seems to be more accurate in the 1D versus the 20D which I still own. Even though I shoot RAW most of the time and use an ExpoDisc for setting custom white balance, I find that the 1D appears to more closely capture whites than the 20D. Also images produced by the 1D appear sharper and more vivid that the images I get from the 20D. This saves me alot of editing time so I have more time to shoot.

As for features, the 2.5" LCD display is a plus although it still has issues when viewing outdoors in bright sunlight. The controls for most camera settings are nicely located and easy to use without having to take your eye away from the viewfinder. The dual memory card feature is nice and allows you to write RAW and JPEG to seperate cards at once or if you wish, once you fill one card you can switch to the other. There is also a backup feature which will write the images to both cards at once which could come in handy when shooting an event and you want to know that you will not lose an image due to card failure! The battery life will also amaze you! Depending on how often you navigate the menu's and use the LCD display, 1200 shots will probably be the minimum amount you will take with this camera. The camera also includes an AC adapter which will allow you to use the camera indoors or to attach to your computer without wasting your battery. I think Canon should include that will all of their cameras!

This camera is expensive and I realize that most amatuers feel that they can not justify the purchase, but once you pick this camera up and use it, you will never want to put it back down. It is that good! It is heavy, especially when attached to a large "L" lense, but most would find that the tradeoff in speed and accuracy would probably make you forget about the weight. I would highly recommend this camera to anyone that has the resources to afford it or the desire to learn to use it to their advantage. Like I said before, once you pick it up and use it, you will NEVER want to put it back down again.

Mar 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bbudman to your Buddy List
TheKrowe

Registered: Feb 18, 2006
Review Date: Mar 1, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: $3,999.00

Pros: This is a followup to my February 19 post about the 1D MkII N that bricked after a couple months of light duty service. Canon turned this warranty job around in about 3 weeks including time spent in the shop I bought the camera from. Admirable service, in my opinion.
Cons:
I don't trust the camera. A $4000 camera that dies in two months can never be trusted. I will always look upon with suspicious eyes.

I'll still rate it a 3. It works fine now, but it worked fine for a couple of months between the first indication of a problem and the time it finally rendered itself a brick. Honestly, if I didn't have over ten thousand dollars invested in Canon glass, I would be looking at the dark side for a solution. I hope everyone that owns this camera has wonderful success with it. I will always view it with a raised eyebrow.

Mar 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TheKrowe to your Buddy List
zogster

Registered: Aug 25, 2005
Review Date: Feb 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,789.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast shutter, fast focus, good ai-servo focus track in low light, feels good in the hand ...
Cons:
Somewhat counter-intuitive menu system

I've only had this body a short time so consider this review provisional. I was waiting to see what Canon would do with the 30D. When I saw their announcement, I pulled the trigger on the Id Mk 2 N.

I shoot a lot of indoor sports. My 20D has been driving me crazy. With the 20 D, auto-focus is a hit or miss proposition in low light and my keeper ratio declined proportional to the amount of light in the arena. This past weekend I shot about 1,000 pictures in the cave known as the Arthur Ashe Center in Richmond, VA. No flash is allowed as I was shooting indoor track and flash messes with their timing system. With my 20D, I'd guess I would have been lucky to get 250 keepers. I had over 800 shots which I found acceptable and I don't even know what I'm doing with this camera yet. To me, the ability to accurately track a moving subject in difficult light is enough to justify the price increase from the 20/30D. Can't wait to shoot outdoor when I actually have a little more experience using the camera.

Feb 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add zogster to your Buddy List
Rob_287

Registered: Oct 23, 2004
Review Date: Feb 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Handling, build, image quality
Cons:

Like its predescessor the 1D Mark II, the Mark II N is a camera that inspires confidence in all areas. From the moment you first pick it up you know this is a professional tool that will allow the skilled photographer to do just about anything with it. The features of this camera will blow you away, it makes 20D and even 5D look so basic when you compare the specs. The camera handles like a dream and it is so incredibly fast, not just the fps, but the shutter response is awesome, it really makes you notice the shutter lag on other cameras.

Unless you need the full frame 1Ds mark II then this is still the body to go for if you are a serious photographer. You will not be dissapointed.

Feb 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rob_287 to your Buddy List
TheKrowe

Registered: Feb 18, 2006
Review Date: Feb 18, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: $3,999.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: The camera is built like a tank. Image quality is outstanding. Life begins at 8.5 frames per second!
Cons:
It weighs as much as a tank. It is dead.

I bought this camera in November of '05. After getting familiar with it I took it on its first shoot, documenting a parade for the small town I live in. Nothing special, just getting shots of all the big fish-small pond dignitaries, bands, etc. I made lots of images in P-mode without looking at the review, and when I loaded them up in PS I was surprised to find that some of them were way underexposed. The Exif data was crazy! f/22 at 1/8000th of a second? Being new to the camera I blew it off as an effect of the loose screw behind the viewfinder.

The camera worked flawlessly for the next two months, taking beautiful images with no exposure problems. But a couple of weeks ago it started up with the exposure problems again. In P- Tv- and Av-mode no matter what the settings, it would revert to f/22 at 1/8000th of a second. Only in M-mode where the exposure program is bypassed could I control exposure.

The 10 for build quality is reflective of the construction and seals. It gets a flat zero for interal quality.

Feb 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TheKrowe to your Buddy List
lsr792000

Registered: Oct 13, 2005
Review Date: Feb 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Simply superb piece of camera!
Cons:
Nil

Upgrade from 350D to this camera. Indeed the fps is the most impressive part. Have not regret after getting this camera. I guess the grip is sooo much more comfortable for me as compared to my previous camera. I am addicted to 1D series camera now! Argghhh

Feb 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lsr792000 to your Buddy List
v.d.bulcke

Registered: Mar 29, 2004
Review Date: Feb 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: everything
Cons:

came from the 10 D and after one day practice there was no more problem because all the buttoms are in de right place and the handling becomes very quickly intuitive.
Simply love it, great feeling and handling.

Feb 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add v.d.bulcke to your Buddy List
bigphotodude

Registered: Jan 30, 2006
Review Date: Jan 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent camera, very happy with all aspects of the new version - especially the speed.
Cons:
One query of the image resolution?

I have one issue with this camera at the moment. It maybe something that I have missed or it maybe a problem and I am hoping someone might be able to shed some light. I have owned a 10D for about 2 years. All of my images taken with this camera in large/jpeg format show a horizontal/vertical resolution of 180dpi when viewed in Photoshop and/or Windows/Properties/Summary. I have also downloaded sample images of the Mark II N from the Canon website in Japan, with these images showing the same value of 180dpi.

My question to you all is - what horizontal/vertical resolution do all of your photographs taken in large/jpeg format show? Mine shows 72dpi!

Anyone who might be able to point out my error in setup or tell me that there photos are the same, would be of great help to me in solving this dilemma.

Jan 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bigphotodude to your Buddy List
redman

Registered: Jan 30, 2004

Pros: Great handling just like original MKII, nut the JPEGS look much clearer and sharper. Bigger display is nice and custom naming of files is really cool!
Cons:
Not really any, just trying to get use to the Picture Styles

After shooting with the original MKII for almost 2 years, I was hesitant about "upgrgading" to the N. After shooting a couple of days with my new N all I can say is WOW. The pics ight out of the camera are SHARP. I mean REALLY sharp. I almost always have to apply USM ro the original MKII files, but not with this camera. I had read an article in SportsShooters by legendary photog Brad Mangin where he was pretty confident of his ability to almost always get a sharp JPEG out of the camera. He was right!

The new larger display is really nice. You can almost see down to the pixel and the viewing angles are much better. The Display can be lightened or darkened depending on your taste. The custom file naming is a wonderful addition for those of us who do events with other photogs shooting and need to seperate our images.

If you are sitting on the fence about changing from the MKII to the N, and you have the resources to do so, go ahead. You won't regret it!

Jan 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add redman to your Buddy List
hirsty

Registered: Jan 26, 2006
Review Date: Jan 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Built like a tank, awesome frame rate, speed of focus and a lovely weight and feel is fantastic to this camera
Cons:
None as yet

I had to shop around to get the fantastic price but eventually got it as a price match from warehouse express, but the camera was purchased from Dale Photographic in leeds. I have the eos 3 and i loved that camera, but since digital came along i have moved to this and the feel is better than the eos 3. I have had the 10D and 20D and part exchanged the 10D for this camera and i ahve not been let down it's a fantastic camera and canon have done well with it. Well the pro's use it on a daily basis. I mainly do weddings and this camera with my 20D as a back up will serve me well.

Jan 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hirsty to your Buddy List
Liquidpics

Registered: Jun 14, 2005
Review Date: Jan 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: If you want fast capture married with great resolution- look no further. It's a great companion to a 5D in cases were you need the faster frame rate and the ease of the same "Picture Style" settings.
Cons:
It's heavy for wedding work.

Jan 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Liquidpics to your Buddy List
_ECK_

Registered: Sep 9, 2003
Review Date: Jan 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,999.00 | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

Jan 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add _ECK_ to your Buddy List
Wisc

Registered: Jan 10, 2006
Review Date: Jan 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: AF system, solid build, speed
Cons:
Weight

I wanted to switch my 20D dor a 5D, but after calulations the extra price for switching to a 1DMkiin was not that much. (Calculated with the extra grip)

Since it has a perfect build,speed and AF system, i tried the 1DMKiin it and forgot the 5D. The Crop of 1.3 is perfect for me.

Very happy with the 1D , took some time to adjust to the controls (compared with a 20D), and love the extra speed and display.

Using the Flash is a complete different thing, it seems more natural on the 1D. Using my 580EX on the 20D was very different.

I am a very happy user, and was glad to spend my money on the 1D. The last extra thing is the durability of the body. (Since i carry this thing allways with me).

Jan 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Wisc to your Buddy List
Haas

Registered: Oct 3, 2005
Review Date: Jan 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: does what it was designed to do. good usable ISO range. Nice review screen.
Cons:
can't think of any. canon will probably upgrade the sensor at some point

i have owned three 1D mkll's and tend to put lots of miles on them. some go into underwater housings, some go to some some nasty environments, and one is almost welded on a 400 2.8. as a tool to deliver publish-quality shots, these do the job day in and day out. the battery life is good, color's vivid, etc, etc. so if you need a camera that you can use day in any kind of weather that your own body can endure, this is the camera for you. the file size is fine for 99 % of the magazines out there.

what could the improve on the next model: 1) newer battery technology--nikon has them here. this would lead to a slighly lighter camera; 2) improved autofocus. big debate on this with the camera, but mostly from people using them for fast sports magazine work; 3) i would like multiple "manual" settings levels. this would provide for swinging in and out of stadium shadow light. i'm not a fan of AV/TV and prefer to control my settings, but during late afternoon this is a challenge; 4) improved flash performance; 5) even with the new screen you still can't really tell if a shot is in focus! what's with this? there needs to be a better way of measuring in focus shots.

Jan 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Haas to your Buddy List
horriss

Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Review Date: Jan 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality. Focus. Image quality
Cons:
none.

I'm not a pro, but bought this in preference to the 5D after spending a few days using each.

The image quality is amazing. I dont know how, but even with 'only' 2MP than my old 10D the files just dont compare.. the warmth, the detail.. much more than I expected.

The 1.3 crop is perfect for me, none of the CA or viginetting that I got with the 5D (even with L lenses) and yet it's plenty wide enough with the 17-40 for landscapes and buildings.

The menus are different compared to the 10D and 5D, but really not that hard to learn (my non-geek wife picked it up very quickly) and when you've got it, they work incredibly well.

The only negative is in viewing files - the choosing, zooming and scrolling is non-intuitive and not as good as the 10D.

The focusing and machine-gunning are amazing and have to be tried to be believed.

I doubt if I'll ever even get close to using the full capabilities of this beast, but it's going to be great fun trying!!

Jan 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add horriss to your Buddy List
Phast1

Registered: Jul 14, 2005
Posts: 2082
Review Date: Dec 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent focus, spot metering, frame rate, dynamic range.
Cons:
Heavy, lots of buttons needing 2 hands for most functions.

After extensive use of this camera with many different lenses I can now compare it to my previous 20D body. I'm finding I have many more keeper shots ( ~ 50% more ) due largely in part to the amazing focus system. Spot metering on the focus point is just incredible, especially for fast moving work that leaves little time for thinking.

My post processing time has halved since using this body. I always shoot in RAW, aRGB and so expect to pp but often find myself just converting as is with a little USM and it's good to go. As a less experienced photographer than the many pros posting on this site I feel this body helps me accomplish what I want done. That's not to say it's an easy tool to learn, it's not. It's just that it can do a whole lot more than I'm used to being able to do. Changing settings takes getting used to as you'll need at least 2 fingers to do so.

Compared to 20D, high ISO is not as nice in the dark areas. At least that's been my experience. I find I'm able to shoot scenes with greater dynamic coverage without blowing highlights like was more common when shooting with my 20D.

Flash with a 580EX: I am very happy with the results. I'll add I am not proficient with flash and cannot elaborate much here as I really prefer natural lighting (who doesn't?).

For the money it's a little on the 'hard to justify' side if your primary income isn't photography. But, if you are serious about your work/art, and divorced, you could probably get away with saying to yourself "It's a pro body with tons of pro settings that I'll be able to grow with for the many years it will last"... at least that's how I did it!

A final note: I am very happy with this upgrade from a 20D. All in all I am able to capture better images, the 1.3 crop is very welcome. I loved the 1.6 crop of 20D for telephoto but don't miss it at all. I've had no desire for a full frame so this 1.3 crop is a nice middle ground.

Happy shooting,