Canon EOS 1D Mark II N

80 135243 Sep 22, 2013
1d_mkii_n

World's fastest digital SLR*: 8.5 fps for up to 48 full-resolution JPEGs in a burst.

8.2 Megapixel CMOS Sensor with a convenient 1.3x lens conversion factor, combined with DIGIC II Image Processor for outstanding image quality.

Superb body design and strength - all-metal body and chassis, weather-resistant construction and shutter durability - tested to 200,000 exposures.

New larger 2.5 inch LCD screen can be viewed even at extreme angles up to 170°.

Many new user-requested features, including RAW JPEG recording on separate memory cards, easy switching between memory cards and user-set file prefixes.

New "Picture Style" function for greater control of color rendition and in-camera sharpening.

simsurfer

Registered: Feb 19, 2006
Review Date: Aug 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredibly fast camera both in AF speed & that shutter on Hi, OMG!! Control layout is very well thought out, buttons can’t be accidentally pressed, large LCD display, custom functions you can actually use, designed and built for the pro and dirt & weather sealing.
Cons:
Pictures modes are a gimmick, id rather have a depth of field shooting mode if I had my choice between the two.

Back in 1991 when I first laid hands on a EOS1 body I swore one day I would own one. The original EOS 1 camera (film) was a dream to hold, so fluid in the hands and its control layout even then was so intuitive compared to all other cameras before it. I shot with camera for close to a year and loved it. Getting back into photography four years ago I chose a Canon 10D, owned it for a year then saw the press release on the EOS 1D mk II. Everything the 10D lacked (buffer & AF sensors) the EOS 1D mk II overcame and then some. I have been shooting very heavily with this camera for the past two years and as a result just last week I have purchased the (new) EOS 1D mk II N body to replace the original mk II.

The camera is almost identical in feel, weight, and looks, really from the outside the only difference is the back of the camera, that large screen LCD screen. Coming from the mk II, the N model looks like a wide screen TV in comparison.

Once you get over the outside of the camera you will soon learn some of the real differences on the inside like the menus. What I really like is the fact that I can custom name my images in the camera by 1 letter, for me that means when I flip the counter I can rename the files so I don’t get duplicated in my image database. There is a new zoom feature where when you preview you can zoom to where you chose the AF sensor making checking the focus on a image a snap. Another cool difference is that you can switch to CF or SD more easily and or shoot RAW & Jpg on the two cards at once.

I love working with this camera, with the Digic II chip it is real rare when the camera cant keep up it is that fast. When you walk into a room filled with other photogs there is no question in anyone’s mind who the pro is..It speaks for itself.

Aug 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add simsurfer to your Buddy List
boosting1bar

Registered: Aug 15, 2004
Review Date: Jul 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: AF, Large LCD, 8.5fps, build quality, image quality, multispot metering, use of CF&SD cards, long battery life, weather sealing
Cons:
no dedicated MLU button, otherwise none

I went from a 10D to a 350D to this. If you've ever used a 1-series body then you know there's no comparison to be made. The images are phenomenal straight out of the camera, I find I have to do *much* less post processing to the files.

The AF is fantastic and incredibly accurate. When paired with L lenses the performance (from both) is just unbelieveable. I couldn't be happier with this camera!

Jul 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add boosting1bar to your Buddy List
Andrew Villa

Registered: Jun 20, 2004
Review Date: Jul 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, Build, 8.5fps, 45pt autofocus, custom file naming and picture styles
Cons:
the battery is massive.

Love this camera, its my workhorse now. I came from a 300d so this is a major improvement.

Jul 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Andrew Villa to your Buddy List
Shane Psaltis

Registered: Jun 24, 2006
Review Date: Jun 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,995.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Canon's best slr yet, I love the larger screen, the great focusing, the custom file name, great color scheme, Overall the best camera yet, and I have tried them all
Cons:
you cannot create custom folders

Canon's best slr yet, I love the larger screen, the great focusing, the custom file name, great color scheme, Overall the best camera yet, and I have tried them all.

This camera is really great, from Sports to Portraits it has it all, now with the larger lcd screen it makes seeing your images easier. Another thing great is the new picture styles offered in this camera and the custom file name you give to your files. it is worth the upgrade from the mkII,

Like I said I have tried them all and this is my favorite along with the 5D and the new 24-105 f4 is lens from canon.

Jun 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Shane Psaltis to your Buddy List
CRLeatherman

Registered: Jun 3, 2006
Review Date: Jun 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, image quality, features, speed, ease of use and Canon customer service.
Cons:
None!

I purchased my first 1D MK II N last November. As with all pro and semi-pro DSLRs there is a learning curve. Once that hurdle has been jumped you cannot help but love this camera. I waited several years to buy my first digital, a Canon 10D. I then learned everything I could about digital. I still waited for that "perfect" digital. The 1D MK II N, for my purposes, is that camera. It is built like a tank, which has been said hundreds of times on many forums. I don't mind the weight even with a 70-200 f2.8 L IS lens and a 580EX mounted on top. I have never had to sharpen images and the picture style feature is awesome! The colors are perfect every time. Although I have Photoshop CS and CS2 I find that I do not need them for wedding and portait photography. Canon's DPP 2.01 software is easier and faster to use than photoshop. There are those who may argue this point but everything in photography seems to be somewhat subjective. If I have to make an adjustment (usually do to me and not the camera) it is easy to do. The one touch batch process to convert RAW to JPEG makes my life easy and the picture style that was used is applied to the RAW file during conversion. I love the ability to save RAW files to the CF card and the JPEGs to the SD card as a backup. Canon's ETTL 2 makes flash exposures a snap. No more worries in high contrast situations (especially black and white) and having to use the flash exposure lock. I usually use the camera in manual mode for indoor flash photography and always use aperature priority for outdoor, with or without the flash. I have since bought a second 1D MK II N with the same results. I only use Canon's f2.8 L series lenses and mainly shoot f2.8 to f5.6 and an occasional f4 or f8 depeneding of the DOF I desire. I don't forsee having to upgrade cameras for many years.

Jun 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CRLeatherman to your Buddy List
Ytter

Registered: May 30, 2006
Review Date: May 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: So fast,so accurate! Indeed also a lot more accurate on exp.control than my recent camera,the 20D.Also a pleasure to go on tour with for a couple of weeks,with an extra battery we`re talkin about at least 3500 shots! More cards man,more and bigger!!!
Cons:
Heavier than the 20D(although not negative at all compared to the benefits)

As a update of the recent 1D mk2 this is not such a giant step forward as one could expect,but the updates are absolutley worth paying the extras for.
The camera gives an instant feeling of durability and "ready for battle" impression.Takes a little to get used to getting straigth from the 20D,but not a big thing at all.
Having used it now for about 3 weeks,the satisfaction just keeps on growing better and better.
Put simple: a pro camera for the pro-photographer in need of high speed/high quality pictures,prepared for almost anything!

I just can`t wait to get up in the mountains with this fellow and the 500mm L IS within a few weeks...

May 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ytter to your Buddy List
Mike1

Registered: Feb 27, 2005
Location: Argentina
Review Date: May 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,329.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very responsive, highly customizable, big improvement in AI servo performance from original 1D, multispot metering, longer battery life, huge buffer, ETTL-II, 1.3x crop, 8.5 FPS, weather sealing, ability to name your own files, highly customizable, firewire connection, ability to use both CF & SD cards. CF continues to write even though the door is opened. Voice recording is a plus for captioning.
Cons:
Weight, back killer when carrying 2 1D bodies, still no multiple exposures option, no actuation count, LCD still a bit hard to see without a sun shade, no dedicated MLU button, picture stye is just a gimmick, flash exposure a bit dodgy with 70-200 IS, need to compensate a lot.

After using the original 1D for a few years, I love it. I've held off from getting the 1D MKII and I'm glad that I did. This was its replacement. No gripes here so far, worth every penny spent. I'm just hoping that it will hold up to the harsh conditions (rain, snow, mud, heat, storms, hurricanes, humidity, etc.) as good as my 1D and 1V. As far as image quality, there is not too much difference except that the 1D MKII N has more room to crop. I guess I can’t see much of a difference since I always shoot in RAW. Noise is very low compared to the original 1D even though images shot with the original 1D appears to produce sharper images (Must be the CCD vs. CMOS thing). No need to chimp to check focus here, focus is dead on 99% of the time, so I could keep on shooting. The buttons are so well placed that I don't even have to take my eye off from the viewfinder and continue shooting while changes to the AF points are made on the fly. Another plus is when I run out of space on the card, I can open the CF door to replace a new one in, close the door and writing resumes until the buffer is completely flushed. Logical placements of the buttons have gotten me up and running within the 1st 5-10 minutes after exploring the menus and buttons. After coming from the original 1D I felt at home. Everything was kept or improved except for the 1/500 second flash sync and 1/16000 shutter speed. The 1D has a shorter battery life than the MKII N. This is where the MKII N shines for me. Battery life is excellent I could go through the entire day's shoot and still be using the same battery. This may be strange but does anyone experience the flash underexposure problems as I've had with the MKII N and telephoto lens? The LCD is a bit hard to see but that problem is solved with a Delkin stick-on flip up sunshade (the black universal 2.5” one). No mirror lockup without going into the custom functions menu, wished they have a dedicated MLU button. This is highly recommended for anyone who does PJ work or anything that involves adventurous activities that goes beyond just shooting indoors or being outside on a clear day.

May 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mike1 to your Buddy List
Tristan

Registered: Apr 18, 2005
Review Date: May 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed and accuracy of auto focus, 8.2MP, 8.5 FPS, extended ISO, dual card facility.
Cons:
none really, could have a larger sensor - could be a 1dsMkII @ 8.5 FPS

Awesome piece of kit, am buying another one next month. Accuracy & speed of auto focus = more keepers in sports. What you would expect of a pro body. I would suggest that anyone serious about sport photography gets one Smile

May 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Tristan to your Buddy List
clocksley

Registered: Mar 7, 2006
Review Date: May 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed (focusing and burst rate), Image quality, Weather proof, dual memory cards.
Cons:
Price and weight

Bearing in mind I once owned a 350D you can imagine how much bigger my muscles are now I own this camera!
It is big, and it would seem only to accommodate the battery really, as most of the guts of the machine are housed in a kind of 5D sized body above the battery.

Anyway, the camera itself is a dream - it's like you would design your own camera. I defy anyone to take a bad photo with this - it pretty much won't let you. Straight out of the box it focuses on everything you point it at, and all the information you need is staring at you through the incredibly bright and large viewfinder. Tracing birds in flight with a 70-200mm IS f/2.8 is a dream, and the burst of 8fps or so means you don't miss a thing.

The only thing that I might have wanted was full-frame, but at the moment the 1ds is twice the price and only 4fps, and not worth forking out for just a bit extra in the pixel dept. Let's face it, sports journalists use these and printing them out at A4 you are not going to see any difference.

In conclusion, it is like someone took my favourite camera (the 20D) and said "How shall we customize it for you?". I would want faster burst, quicker focusing, another memory card slot, spot metering, and the ability to take it out in bad weather. I got my wish.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

May 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add clocksley to your Buddy List
Alistair Watson

Registered: Mar 21, 2005
Review Date: May 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Blistering frame rate, huge buffer, superb AF, 1.3x crop sensor, all usual handling benefits of 1D Series camera
Cons:
Nothing negative. Yes, it is pretty heavy at 1225grams without lens!

I have had the 1D Mark II N for 4 months now, upgraded from a 20D. For the kind of high speed photography I do, I needed the additional speed (yes, moving from 5fps to 8.5 is very noticeable!) and buffer capacity (22 in RAW/48 in JPG). Focus is truly superb, once it has locked onto a bird in flight or racing car at over 150mph it stays locked, my percentage of 'keeper' shots is far higher with this camera.

All the usual 1D benefits, yes to change settings you invariably need to press multiple buttons but I like this feature, weather sealing with L lenses (this got put to the test at a wet GT race at Silverstone a few weeks ago). Bright viewfinder, and I would say ease of use but it really does demand bright/fast L glass.

The amount of post processing I do with RAWs from this camera is far less than I did with the 20D, colours seem far more realistic and saturated, I hardly use PS' unsharp mask now as the out of camera photos really are sharp - when you get the photo right! :-)

I read in one of these postings that bad photos cannot be blamed on the camera, it is the fault of the photographer - hand on my heart, I totally agree.

If you need the speed and accuracy of this camera, the safety backups that are build in with all 1D models, I can highly highly recommend it! The best body I have ever owned - without a doubt!

May 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Alistair Watson to your Buddy List
jumbo777

Registered: Nov 28, 2005
Review Date: May 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Professional feel, tons of features, lightning fast frame rate, long battery life, weatherproof, beautiful picture quality and much much more.
Cons:
Bundled software, audio recording (who needs that?), these I can live with.

I have owned this camera for about a week and I must say, this machine is rock solid! In addition to having a professional feel, the images are stunning! I am an airshow photographer and this new camera (in addition to my 20D) is sure to provide me with the best photos. In addition to the many features, learning to use this camera was easy. After reading the instruction manual (a must if you are unfamiliar with this camera) and charging the battery, I was shooting photos with ease. I photographed some airplane approaches using the 8.5 fps setting and all the photos came out crisp and clear with vibrant color. My air show debut with this beauty will be on May 20-21. This camera also gives you the option to slow the frame rate to 3 fps. On the down side, the bundled software is so-so. A required program that was needed to access the camera from a computer was not on the disc. The camera itself more than makes up for this tiny glitch. I must also say that Canon Support was very easy to get to (was talking to a rep in the U.S. within one minute) and directed me to a place on their website, where I could download the program. In my final analysis, I have made a wise investment and the 1D MKIIN (with my 4 "L" Lenses) is worth every cent. I highly recommend this camera to all (especially sports, aviation and wildlife photographers) who are serious about their photography.

Clark Cook

www.airshowpix.net

May 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jumbo777 to your Buddy List
KETCH

Registered: Apr 22, 2006
Review Date: May 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,649.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Built like as if was made of Italian marble, solid yet very confortible on your hand, incredibly fast fast shutter, responsiveness absolutelly great, resistent to the elements a plus, double recording media in different conbinations, lcd a plus, solid and sharp, overall a dream machine that screams at you to push that botton and create create.
Cons:
If any one find something negative about this camera it dos not belong with this camera.

I already wrote a review of this camera but posted in the wrong place(be..)
but I love this machine so much that I wanted to insure that my posting was seen by those looking to purchase this camera to tell them absolutelly by this monster of a machine you will hardly put it down, it wants to shoot it must shoot, and the speed this camera is capable of shooting at will make your head speen, before you shoot you may want to look arround for coops, you do not want to get a tiket.

buy this camera and be prepared to be taken for a great ride.

Some of my friend left at me becouse as I mostly shoot female protrait and artistic nude they say it was creasy to get this camera it is not made for my porpuse.

But as they continue to see the resolts they marvel as how many perfect photos I get out of each photo section wile the girls are jumping arround or performing some kind of dance or sudden movement it is captured by this camera at ease, no problem, CUT PRINT, GO HAVE FUN WITH THE GIRLS!!!

May 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add KETCH to your Buddy List
mentaltorment

Registered: Oct 27, 2005
Review Date: Apr 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,845.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Blazing fast Focus! It lives up to expectations as the World's Fastest DSLR.
Cons:
Be prepared to spend a bundle on new CF Cards!

It is worth every penny! When getting the shot means money- this is the right camera!

I upgraded from a 20D to the 1D and it's an amazing tool. Blazing fast focus and fps is what I needed to take my sports photography to the next level. I was getting around 40 good shots per game with the 20D. The first day out with the 1D I had over 100.

The Menu's are very different from the 20D. The features in the menu's more than make up for it and it is a pleasure to shoot with. I have taken close to 2500 photo's since recieving the camera 4 days ago.

I shoot about 7-10 games per week as a semi-pro photographer. I still have a day job, but plan on quiting that in a year or two to concentrate on photography. With the 1D Mark II N, it may be about sooner than later!

Thank You to everyone who has posted a review on here! I went through almost all of them before making this huge investment in my photography!

Apr 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mentaltorment to your Buddy List
ovarzoli

Registered: Jan 7, 2006
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Apr 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3.50 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, Very confortable using, 45 AF, Battery
Cons:

How Can I tell you my opinion about this great body?
It is a fantastic body. With 45 Af point very fast and very easy possible to make the image. You can use your body with more then 60 objektive. The 8.5 frame/sec is fantastic. The voice of the body by this speed as a rifle. You can use your body in the snow or in the rain.

Expensive but the best!

Apr 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ovarzoli to your Buddy List
mugen76

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Review Date: Apr 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,699.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: AF speed, body construction, LCD.
Cons:
very very very slight banding

what more can be said? this camera is a huge step up from my 20d. great AF and very solidly built.

when testing for banding, i was getting a very slight banding at over H(3200)iso with exposure compensation dropped down to the lowest. and it was only in the shadow areas. i rarely shoot under those conditions. it is so slight that it's not worth replacing for fear that i might get an even worse body.

otherwise, the camera is perfect for any type of work.

Apr 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mugen76 to your Buddy List
lord_malone

Registered: Oct 9, 2005
Review Date: Apr 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: 8 fps, 45 AF points, 8.2mp (who needs more?), dual memory card slots, build, battery life, picture styles, ISO in viewfinder, standard accessory bundle, available accessories, 2.5" LCD, eyepiece shutter, weather sealing, more camera than most will ever need.
Cons:
Control layout takes a little time getting used to.

I recently traded my 5D for the 1d mkIIn (see my review of the 5D). Most of the arguments in favor of this camera has already been well covered by previous reviewers, so I'll just simply state my reasons for choosing this camera. First off, let me make clear that I think the 5D is a great camera. The images that have come straight out of the camera are simply amazing to say the least. The build and superb quality are what you come to expect from Canon. However, I find myself not needing the extra 12.8mp resolution as I don't normally make prints large enough to justify it. The FF frame sensor is a thing of beauty. But I think that a 1.3x crop sensor is a perfect compromise between FF, which exploits the limitations of all my glass, and the 1.6x crop, which makes my ultra-wide 16-35L not quite wide enough. Additionally, I plan to get into photojournalism and think that the 1d mkIIn would better suit my needs to pursue that goal. Not that the 5D wouldn't be a great tool for the job, but I would much rather have the tough build, weather sealing capabilities and ultra-fast frame rate of the 1d mkIIn. IQ wise, I think the 5D would beat the 1k mkIIn hands down. But IQ comes second to capturing the perfect moment, a catagory which I think the 1d mkIIn owns due to the superior AF system and faster frame rate. I'm also attracted to the 1d mkIIn for the dual memory card capability. Overall, this camera has been a wise investment for me. It may be overkill for most, but I wouldn't hestitate to recommend this to anyone who wants to take their photography to the next level and are dead serious about their craft.

Apr 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lord_malone to your Buddy List

Canon EOS 1D Mark II N