Canon EOS 1D Mark II N

80 134477 Sep 22, 2013
1d_mkii_n

World's fastest digital SLR*: 8.5 fps for up to 48 full-resolution JPEGs in a burst.

8.2 Megapixel CMOS Sensor with a convenient 1.3x lens conversion factor, combined with DIGIC II Image Processor for outstanding image quality.

Superb body design and strength - all-metal body and chassis, weather-resistant construction and shutter durability - tested to 200,000 exposures.

New larger 2.5 inch LCD screen can be viewed even at extreme angles up to 170°.

Many new user-requested features, including RAW JPEG recording on separate memory cards, easy switching between memory cards and user-set file prefixes.

New "Picture Style" function for greater control of color rendition and in-camera sharpening.

Pinetree

Registered: Feb 20, 2006
Review Date: May 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,695.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb AF, ease of use, fantastic WB etc.
Cons:
None!

One day I was in my local photo store for some minor things. I saw they had one 1D Mark II N in it´s box on their shelf and said to my regular salesman "Oh, I see you have one of those still left. To bad they are so pricey even with the forthcoming of the Mark III´s". To my surprise they said I could now get their last 1D Mark II N on their shelf (in an unopened box) for a bargain price.

In these nothern parts were I live the light isn´t very good for the most part of the year, so my 400 5.6L wasn´t up to it´s task most of the time on my 30D. With it the shots of fast flying birds were a hit and miss kind of thing. When the Af seemed to do did ok the accuracy of it wasn´t there after all. I felt I was in need of a F4 supertele or at least a 300 2.8 + 2x ... but my financial resources or even will to hick up several thousands to get “only” better AF wasn´t there, so I thought I have to get by with what I have. That is = shoot a lot of shots and hope for keepers in regard of AF accuracy. These were my thoughts until…

I have now been a happy owner and used the II N for a few weeks. I do have to say that the AF-speed on the 400 5.6L and the accuracy (!!!) of it has leaped to a totally different and amazing level. The picture quality is also much higher.

To my surprise the AF speed+accuracy is faster with even the 400 + 1.4x combo on the II N than it ever was with even the plain 400 on the 30D! All in all I don´t miss the 1.6x factor one bit. To see in practice is to believe that 1.6x ain´t the true answer! I now feel the 1.6x crop factor is greatly overappreciated as I now get consistently much better results and even close-ups of flying birds than I ever got with the 30D ... and my 24-70 has turned to a decently wide wideangle for my purposes as well! Some feel that the 1D is a heavy beast, but in my hands it feels no heavier than the 30D with it´s battery pack.

My tip is ... roam around in the photo stores around you and get a bargain on a new (or a near-mint used) 1D Mark II N as long as they are available. There are still sufficiently many of them around on the shelfs. You coldn´t be happier after you have succeeded! Lot´s of luck in your searching. The 1D Mark II N is a truly amazing DSLR.

May 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Pinetree to your Buddy List
lpazxxsh

Registered: May 31, 2005
Review Date: May 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Pro Built quality, Weather Sealed, Fast auto focusing, Large 2.5 in. monitor, 2 memory card storage with sellectable designated Raw or Jpg storage, Picture style. Great Battery life. Big Bright viewfinder, 200,000 shutter reliability, builtin vertical grip and more....
Cons:
Poor AWB in artificial lighting condition. Small histogram in monitor. weight.

I've owned a D60, 10D, 20D, 30D, 5D, 1D, 1D MKII and now the 1D MKIIn, and i can honestly say this is the best camera
i have ever owned. I love the big 2.5 inch monitor. The 8.5 fps when ever i need to shoot sports and most of all the dual slot CF/SD card. I feel very confident having that feature when ever i photograph weddings...knowing if one of my cards decides to die on me i have it backed up on the other card.
The camera feels great in my hands but becomes heavy after a while when carrying it for an extended period of time. Owning the previous 1D's made it easy transitioning to this version. I thought about waiting a few months for the MKIII but for the price and small upgrades they did on the MKIII it was a simple choice. The 8MP is plenty and great for workflow. I'll wait for the MKIV before i think about upgrading again. The backup system where you can store the raw and jpeg in diffrent cards gets confusing at first but i'm learning fast. Sometimes i wished this camera had a 1.6X crop
factor for my big glass. But i use my 30D if i need extra reach.
I recommend this camera to anyone who is thinking about getting a porfessional DSLR. Its fast, responsive, builtin vertical grip. I plan to keep this camera for years to come.

May 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lpazxxsh to your Buddy List
rendra

Registered: May 21, 2003
Location: Indonesia
Review Date: Mar 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Bright Viewfinder Multiple Spot Metering Fast response Fast & Accurate AF 8.5 fps Rugged and weathersealed Very wide dynamic range
Cons:
Big Heavy

Having a camera for 2 months.

I find this camera is wonderful machine to have. I'm quite frustated with the focusing issue on EOS 30D (even I have until 4 units for testing and none of them give me the sharp pictures). On this camera, all focusing issues were gone !

Also the dynamic range of this camera is quite amazing and wider than 5D.

Great camera to have !

Mar 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rendra to your Buddy List
HenkvdT

Registered: Oct 19, 2004
Review Date: Feb 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very fast and responsive, great AF, sturdy construction, weatherproof, great image quality, high frame rate, extensive customizability, convenient crop factor
Cons:
None, except for maybe it's pricetag

I've been using the 1D mark IIn for a year now and am still delighted with it. It's a joy to use. It's so responsive that it is mostly way ahead of you. It's always ready to go, no lagtime anywhere. Since I came from the analogue 1V and 3 camera's the userinterface was easy to get accustomed to.

The sensor is "only" 8.2MP but I found that to be sufficient for 20x30" (50x75cm) prints which is the largest format I will print. For now at least :-)

The framerate is unbelievable and is in my experience not only handy when shooting sports. It has helped me get "the" shot on many occasions even when there is comparatively little movement.

The 1D mark IIn has many many custom- and personalfunctions so you can configure the camera to your heart's content. And then some.

Because of it's metal hull and it's battery design it isn't a featherweight, but neither are most of Canon's lenses for which the camera is designed. So this makes for a well balanced set-up.

Feb 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add HenkvdT to your Buddy List
bkalsey

Registered: Apr 6, 2006
Review Date: Feb 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros:
Cons:

Just wondering if anyone has any out of focus photo withe the Mark II N?
It seems like when I am using the 2.8 70-200Is lens some of the photos are not sharp/seem out of focus..
Has anyone experinced this problem at all..
I also use the Ids mark II with the same lens & all the pics are crystal
sharp...
Is there any issues with the body of the Mark II N?

Feb 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bkalsey to your Buddy List
CPSLOPHOTO

Registered: Jul 6, 2005
Review Date: Feb 8, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I absolutely love the build quality...it makes me smile just holding it. Aside from that, the viewfinder is amazing, Autofocus is exceptional, and image quality seems much better than my 20D. The menu does take getting used to if you are new to a 1D, but I like them now.
Cons:
Leanring curve. I think I had unrealistic expectations of the AF. Can the thing just be water proof?

Feb 8, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add CPSLOPHOTO to your Buddy List
andersonphoto

Registered: Dec 27, 2004
Review Date: Dec 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything. It just works. Fast, excellent image quality and built like a tank. What more could you ask for in a dslr?
Cons:

To the poster who complained about the autofocus when not using fast "L" glass.....If you buy a $4000 camera why would you skimp on the glass anyway? Glass is more important than the camera anyway! The autofocus is blazing fast regardless of the lens in my opinion!? I have a nifty-fifty and I really can't tell any difference in the foucus speed compared to my "L" glass.

Dec 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add andersonphoto to your Buddy List
drisley

Registered: Jul 12, 2004
Review Date: Dec 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: AF speed and accuracy, feature customization, big bright viewfinder
Cons:

This is the best sports DSLR in the world, and probably second only to the 1DS MKII as best complete DSLR.

Dec 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add drisley to your Buddy List
Mark Cruz

Registered: Oct 29, 2006
Review Date: Nov 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Build, every customizable option imaginable.
Cons:
Price. You need 2.8 L series to activate cross hairs!!! Huge issue.

Ok, I think everyone else has mentioned all the pros, which I whole heartedly agree with.

What I will do is make people aware of something VERY important. People talk about the blazing speed of this auto-focus system, and to tell you all the absolute truth, it's not all it's cracked up to be. And here's why...

The autofocus system consists of 45 autofocus points. When you are using an L series lens with aperature 2.8 or larger, the 7 center AF points get upgraded to cross-hair sensitivity.

Now, here's the kicker. I have 2 lenses. A 70-200 2.8L, and a 28-105 USM (non L). I was comparing the AF speed with my 300D (original rebel) and found that using the 28-105, the rebel was kicking the MarkIIn's but. I was using the center AF point for both cameras (which is typically the most sensitive). However, the Mark II N was suffering egregious back-focusing, and was searching for years and couldn't find focus. For days I couldn't figure this out. Then I turned the body to take the picture in portrait format, and suddenly it latched on. Then it hit me.

When you don't have an L series lens, all the autofocus points are HORIZONTAL. I have yet to determine whether you need a 2.8, but I would be willing to bet on it. My short range lens is only a 3.5-4.5 and is non L.

This infuriated me, and you need to know this when purchasing this product. I can no longer get by with my $350 carry around lens, and am forced to dish out at least a grand for a 2.8 L series.

This is huge folks. The cross hair vs. horizontal sensitivity is night and day. You should not even bother purchasing this camera if you do not own an L 2.8 Otherwise you just have a crap-load of slow AF points.

And if you think you're going to see noticeable difference in cross hair autofocusing, you WON'T. The motor speed will be determined through the build of the lens. And when you're talking about cross hair sensitivity, there may or may not be a nano-second of difference. I would be interested in seeing the actual manufacturer's specs... but I gaurantee, you will notice ZERO difference. The key is to activate the cross hairs on this monster...

I'm going to my local shop right now to determine if I need an L 2.8, or just an L... but most likely I'll need an L 2.8, as that's what the manual actually mentions.

It's crazy, cause the original digital rebel (300D) does not require such expensive lenses before you can activate cross-hair sensitivity on the center AF point... and I believe this is the case with most Canon bodies.

I will do more research and try to ammend or write a subsequent review.

I wish someone had made me aware of this before I purchased it... it would definitely have made an impact on my choice.

On more thing I will emphasize that people have already mentioned... the weight.

I shrugged this off as a non-issue. After using it for one day, I realized, it is a huge issue. This camera is heavy, and requires both hands. I would recommend a hand strap to avoid droping it as the grip is more rounded, and not as squared off as the original rebel build. I actually find the rebel more ergonomic to hold because of it.

The major benefit that sets this apart from any other camera... 8.5 FPS. When reading that number, you don't understand the impact until you actually have it in your hand and you hold down the shutter button... it's awesome.

Do I give this a thumbs up or thumbs down? Depends on what you need it for.

Nov 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mark Cruz to your Buddy List
dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Oct 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build, speed, dual card slots, in-camera backup, focusing, customization, weatherproofing, big LCD
Cons:
Image quality (compared with a 5D and a 1DSII), interface, firewire needed to upload personal functions, still no proper mirror-lock-up, price, weight, big battery and charger

My second foray into the 1-series world after selling my 1DII for a 5D. I love the 5D image quality (which really is better) but I missed the 1-series build, speed, focusing and in-camera backup.

It doesn't have quite enough pixels, but the ones it has are of very high quality - big prints no problem as long as you don't need to crop.

It is a bit expensive I think, although the 'N' has answered most of my criticisms with the original - weaker anti-alias filter means shrper shots by default, selectable recording to memory cards, bigger screen (although why we can't have a big histogram I still don't know)

I'm going to keep this one!

Oct 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List
fotograh

Registered: Sep 5, 2006
Review Date: Oct 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Robust construction, IMAGE Quality known for its nimble focus agilities. Weight issue may be more subjective and just a matter of getting accustom to it over several days of use.
Cons:
Price if budget is tight. Otherwise, NONE.

Coming from being a primary CANON 20D user, it took me about two hours of both reading the manual and a hands on usage of the instrument's masterpiece whistles and bells. On the third hour of its after mail delivery, I was able to manage to use it effectively for a high school homecoming football game in my hometown. Yes, it does require a button or two to change certain settings but it's NOT as cumbersome as others may have suggested previously. By the way, this is coming from someone who has never taken any formal photo-graphy class from any known institution of intellectuals. I'm a "C" gpa kinda fella with the right attitude, that's all. This instrument does deliver what it's designers meant for it to be utilized. Hence, for those considering of buying one of these, my only advice to you is to buy it from a country with a known dependable Quality Control (QC)Assembly Plant. USA MODELS have been known for such a thing.

Hmmm... "I photograph, therefore, I am."

Oct 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fotograh to your Buddy List
yverick

Registered: Jul 27, 2004
Review Date: Oct 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: large screen (COMPARING WITH "original" 1D mark II), very sturdy. I make friends in foreign country just carrying it around!!! ;-)
Cons:
still heavy

Hi,

I have been fortunate enough to have my 1D markII replaced with a "N" version lately. So I have played with the two version; nearly for one year with the markII and a few months with the "N". I am an occasional pro-photographer for gymnastic canada and it is where I really used my markII N. The original markII waas used on official university sports as well as on an internationnal photojournalism assignment with the U.N. .
The big difference for me between the two version is the screen. It makes review easier and doesn't require its user to exercise his-her eye sharpness-decerning abilities. The two screens have the same resolution, the pixels are thus tightly packed in the orginal 2 inch screen.
I had a small issue with the first version which turned out to be a non-issue: at first i wanted to have the slow shooting speed to be a little more than 3 fps (maybe 4 or 5fps) but the original version wouldn't allow it. I quickly adjust myself. And now that I can adjust the new "N" I don't feel the need and actually find more convenient the default setting of 3 fps (this speed matches the 10D speed and I basicly learn pro photography with this camera).
I can't say anything about "picture style". I indeed used it when i was on my gymnastic assignement because i had to shoot jpegs ( so i had to do "post-procesing" in camera). It worked fine but I would have been able to do the same thing with the original markII... At any other time I shoot RAW (even for photojournalism)
This is one beautiful camera, image quality is excellent (as on any canon camera, pro or not) but with these 1D you can actually take this same image quality to another level: the big thing here is autofocus, it's dead on. I can't stress this point to much, makes all the difference.
The only area where I found these markII lacking is when I made my 12X18" sport portfolio! I had to have a perfectly composed image in the first place because there were no cropping possible. This said the 8Mpixels allowed me to do make those very large print. I think I'm pushing it a bit!

Oct 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add yverick to your Buddy List
tonyakins

Registered: Dec 5, 2004
Review Date: Sep 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,949.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The 1D Mark II N, is a nice upgrade from the 1D Mark II. I Love the larger screen, the Picture Styles are nice. I really like being able to adjust the white balance, you can create a totally different mood. I love the B/W mode with the Color filters. I only wish that you could use the color filters in color mode like B/W. However that's why I like the custom White Balance. One shot ISO Bracketing.
Cons:
Non worth mentioning!

What is wrong with you people, comparing a 20D to a 1D Mark II N is like comparing a Pontiac Firebird to a Dodge Viper. All I here is complaining, if you guys like the 20D good, but don't trash an excellent camera because it has Pro Quality. The reason for two hands is avoid accidentally changing a setting, which is very important if you make you living as a “Real” professional Photographer.
Then this dream camera is exactly that a dream. If Canon or any other company could make a 12-800mm f/2.8 IS lens it would have to weigh several hundred pounds plus a hundred pound filter. Canon make a 1200mm Special Order Lens with an f/5.6 and it weighs 16.5 kg or 36.3lbs in English. I believe the cost is about $30,000.00; the front of the lens is 9” round and 32.9” long. Do you guys understand what you are saying? I cannot believe that you don’t understand why you don’t see a 500mm or 600mm f/2.8, because it would weigh over 20Lbs. You have it all wrong with this old technology being used in the 1D Mark II N, and newer technology being used in the 20D, ha ha; the 20D is now a discontinued camera and was released well before the 1D Mark II N. The reason for the weight guys is because it is built to take a beating, weather and dust proof gaskets, etc. Do you really think that Canon sits around and says, well Jim Bob let’s see if we can make this here box a little heavier. I am sorry, you guys are not Photographers. The 20D is a good camera for what it was designed for, but it is out of its league when you compare it with any 1D camera. I own a 20D & a 1D Mark II N and I think that it is a fine camera with a good price tag. Look on the line lines of any sporting event, and you will find 70+% Canon 1D Mark II’s. If it is good enough for the Pros, and “The Getty’s Museum” then that should answer your questions. No one product is perfect for everyone, that’s why Canon makes 5 different Digital SLR's, not counting the discontinued 20D and the XT. No I do not work for Canon, I am a Patent Attorney.

Sep 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tonyakins to your Buddy List
StewartTate

Registered: Aug 22, 2006
Review Date: Aug 25, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 2

Pros: Built like a tank. Fast frame rate. Large LCD display. Long battery life.
Cons:
Costly, Heavy, Poor Auto White Balance (AWB), Technology internals that are starting to show age. Poor User Interface Design that is difficult to use with only two hands :-)

I have owned a Canon A1, 20D and 1D MarkII N.

I mainly shoot sports events that sometimes have poor lighting conditions. To take razor sharp shots with correct color in these conditions, I use 'L' primes with wide open f-stop (1.2, 1.4, 1.8 maybe 2.0), and a fast shutter speed.

The 1DM2N has a fast frame rate and solid auto focusing systems. The battery life is excellent.

I've compared the 20D to the 1DM2N and have noticed the 1DM2N sometimes auto focuses faster then the 20D using the same lens in the same conditions. Most of the time, I notice no difference in auto focusing speed between the 1DM2N and 20D.

The AWB in the 1DM2N is poor when compared to the 20D. Sure, the AWB can be adjusted manually but what a pain compared to the 20D AWB that gets it right most of the time. Perhaps, the technology used in the 1DM2N is older and maybe starting to show its age.

The user interface on the 1DM2N is difficult to use (hold down two buttons with the left hand when turning a knob with the right hand, release a button to select) it hurts just thinking about it. The 20D user interface is a much improved UI designs, faster to use and much less finger movement. The Nikon D70, D200 UI designs are better yet.

The 1DM2N battery lock down and memory door design is poor compared to the newer 20D with a grip.

The 1DM2N camera is heavy, costly and a lower value when compared to newer models. Taking pictures with the same canon lens, in the same conditions, the 20D can deliver the same image quality (correct color and sharpness).

The 1DM2N can take more pictures in the same amount of time but make sure you adjust the AWB for the lighting or they won't have correct color or sharpness.

I for one would like Canon to improve the 5D or 30D with a better low light, Auto Focus system and faster frame rate.

Aug 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add StewartTate to your Buddy List
Desert_Watcher

Registered: Jun 15, 2006
Location: Kuwait
Review Date: Aug 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: amazing handling, amazing weather sealing and durability comparing to the lesser models of Canon, i liked the 45 point of focus in 1d system and super image quality.
Cons:
none at all

I'm a have owned all Canon's digital SLR mount starting from the 350D, 20D, 30D and the 5D. and curruntly the 5D with my new 1d. Now i've sworen that next time when i wanna purchase a new body i would only go for the 1d serious if i got enough money. of course the 5D had a charming image quality and amazing colors closer to canon's god the 1ds mark ii, but it really lacks the good handling, weather sealing , fast and accurate response and focusing system like that of the 1d mark ii N.
the 1d mark ii n is a master piece and worth every penny that you pay for specially for nature photography which is my most field of intrest.

gooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ! for it or wait for the 1d mark III Smile it will break hearts

Aug 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Desert_Watcher to your Buddy List
Ytter

Registered: May 30, 2006
Review Date: Aug 17, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Pinsharp fast autofocus,also in harsh lightning conditions.Lovely overall feeling of the whole camrea,sturdy and rugged,takes almost all conditions for the nature man...
Cons:
Heavyer than other Dslr`s like the 20/30/5d

Went from D60 to 20D to this one,there is no doubth that this is a camera for the pro.The ruggedness and tough build is just what I needed,being outdoors shooting almost all year.This camera handles it all well,from rain and fog to tentlife in january.Strong batterycapacity together with CF extremeIII cards and L-series lenses makes it a dream to travel with.
In my daily shooting as a interior/estate-photographer I shoot at jpeg large-settings and the dynamics is very good.When I switch to raw-settings,the quality is slightly better than the 20D,but you won`t see the difference imediately.
The biggest advantage from the 20D is of course,besides size and build,the speed and buffersize. It`s amazing how fast you can fill up a 4G card shooting raw!
The menus can be a little fiddly at first glance,but once you get it right it`s quite fast to work with.
The only downside I can see so far is the weight,all in all the complete bag is getting dangerously close to 12 kg with lenses and tripod.And still the tend/sleepingbag/matress etc isn`t loaded up... Sherpa anyone?
My dream is a camera sized as a 5D,20 mp senson with a 12-800mm f/2,8 IS attached,equipped with a 16G card and shooting 8,5 fps.And weighting only 1,5 kg complete.
Beer anyone?