223 280929 Nov 30, 2013
5d_586x225_2_

The new Canon EOS 5D offers advanced photographers a lightweight, robust digital SLR that uses Canon's superlative EF lenses without a conversion factor. Its full-frame 12.8 Megapixel CMOS sensor combines with Canon's DIGIC II Image Processor, a high-precision 9-point AF system with 6 assist points, and "Picture Style" color control to deliver images of superior quality with enough resolution for any application. With its wide-angle capabilities, 2.5 inch LCD and magnesium-alloy body, the 5D is the perfect addition to the Digital EOS line.

World's smallest and lightest full-frame digital SLR* with a 12.8 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and superb image quality.
DIGIC II Image Processor for outstanding image quality and performance - 3.0 fps for up to 60 consecutive JPEG or 17 RAW frames in a burst.
New larger 2.5 inch LCD screen can be viewed even at extreme angles up to 170°.
New "Picture Style" function for superior command of in-camera color, contrast and sharpness.
High-precision 9-point AF with 6 additional Supplemental points surrounding the center point for superior focus tracking.
Strong and light magnesium-alloy body with new shutter durability-tested to 100,000 exposures.
Compatible with over 50 Canon EF lenses and most EOS System accessories.

swormley

Registered: Feb 15, 2006
Review Date: Jun 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,459.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent low noise high quality full frame dSLR
Cons:
Missing a split image and micro prism collar in the view finder

After giving up on e-film to make it into the market place, I
jumped directly from Canon F-1n bodies and FD lenses to the full
frame EOS 5D dSLR with EF lenses and haven't looked back. After
six months I've learned my new tools well.

Yes, I miss a split image and micro prism collar in the view
finder when manually focusing, and I thought I would miss the
Speed Finder FN from the old bodies, but the so far so good.

I definitely don't miss all the darkroom time and chemicals! The
digital images equal or exceed what I was achieving with fast B/W
films. For those interested in comparison, see "Film versus
Digital My Summary", by R. N. Clark.

It didn't take long for dust to wind up on the sensor. I have
found the Sensor Brush® to be excellent at mitigating that
problem when a puff of air is not sufficient.

Thanks Canon--This is just what I needed.

Jun 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add swormley to your Buddy List
Desert_Watcher

Registered: Jun 15, 2006
Location: Kuwait
Review Date: Jun 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: high amazing image quality, amazing colors at iso 50 , perfect for macro photography and landscapes as well as indoors photography. built like a tank, long batteries life, larger LCD
Cons:
dirty sensor and view finder from only one photographic session, require a profissional cleaning kits.

no money no funny , it worth the price in my opinion , get it very close to the expensive 1DS mark II in the image quality.

Jun 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Desert_Watcher to your Buddy List
Vole

Registered: May 22, 2005
Review Date: Jun 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Everything's already been said. Indeed, the 5D is a very nice Camera. But...
Cons:
...It's a lot of money for what you get.

Ok. Well, the 5D does exactly what it says on the tin. But consider this...

Here in the UK, you can buy a 30D + 17-40L + 70-200 f/4L, all new, for the same cost as a new 5D. Now you have to ask yourself; is a few extra mm of silicon really worth two top quality 'L' lenses?

Mine has a very loose CF door. Out of my 300D, 20D, 30D and 5D, the 5D has the creakiest, loosest CF door of the lot. No big deal, sure, but one expects better from a Camera carrying such a premium.

Another reason I bought the 5D (other than FF) was for the better ISO and DR performance that such a large pixel pitch offers, only to be disappointed to find that it carry's practically no advantage over the 30D in these area's.

Sure, a 5D paired with a 50mm f/1.4 is a lovely thing, and to many, full-frame is the only way to go. But for me, it's not worth the cost over the 20D / 30D. Don't get me wrong, it's a super Camera, and if you're after full-frame then it'll be worth every penny to you... It's just not for everyone.

Build Quality Rating: 7 (9 if it wasn't for the CF door issue)

Price Rating: 6

Overall Rating: 9

Jun 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Vole to your Buddy List
jbfaulconer

Registered: Dec 8, 2005
Review Date: Jun 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Full Frame, Larger viewfinder, awesome photo's. Being able to print much larger photos.
Cons:
Dirty viewfinder

Excellent camera. Compared to my 20D the photo's are spectacular. ISO setting in 1/3 increments. Not really keen on the picture styles. Faithful seems to be the best for me. This camera definetly needs the best glass you can afford. I sold my 28-135IS the minute I hooked it up to the camera. Primes and L glass are required. I am very happy with this camera. By far in my mind a "professional camera".

Jun 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jbfaulconer to your Buddy List
FLYER34

Registered: Jun 6, 2006
Review Date: Jun 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: FF ; image quality ;general build quality
Cons:
Narrow auto focus pattern ; expensive battery pack.

I agree with all the previous positive reviews (in 6 months I have not, yet, experienced any bug or lockup). I bought this camera after getting rid of my D70 and Nikkor lenses : I WANTED FF and a larger viewfinder... One (small) point has been left out. As a newcomer to Cannon products I was amazed to realize that these EOS bodies were so thin that you can bold litterally any other manufacturer's lens on them. Through a cheap adapter ring you can use Leica, Zuiko (or what you have) glass : that's a definite plus.

Jun 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add FLYER34 to your Buddy List
radiodenver

Registered: Apr 4, 2006
Review Date: Jun 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,849.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent quality photographs. Easy to handle, uncomplicated but still quite configurable.
Cons:
Very brutal on bad lenses. A little over-priced and crippled functionality.

I like this camera. With a good lens attached, nothing short of the MKIIs will match the absolute resolution and picture quality of this body. I use it with the EOS 30D and the two cameras complement one another well.

You've probably read everywhere that this camera requires good lenses and I'll confirm this fact. Consumer grade lenses are a waste of time on this body. Even top notch optics will be stretched to their limits in some cases. My best results are with prime lenses. Vignetting is evident on anything less than perfect glass and arpetures below f4.

The only real problem I have with this camera is that it feels crippled. A camera in this price range should be able to do 5 frames per second. Another minor gripe is the ISO setting not being displayed full time on the readout. Last little gripe, and everyone else complains about this too, the mirror lockup function is burried in the menu and not assigned a full time button on the body. Canon thinks it's more important to have a print button, which I think is absolutely obtuse for a camera of this nature. Save the print buttons for consumer cameras. This lowers the value of the camera in my opinion.

Generally speaking, this camera will make a darn good photo if you have the sill and the proper lenses.

Jun 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add radiodenver to your Buddy List
Zagisis

Registered: Mar 29, 2005
Review Date: May 31, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,000.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Full Frame, smaller body, 2.5 LCD, Easy controls.
Cons:
Lacks vertical grip, frugal body, needs CS2 upgrade, 3fps. "L" fringe.

At a first glance and feel its very similiar to the 20D. There are however quite a few differences. The price is bigger as well. My first few shots were not pleasing. I read the manual and changed my settings. The best for me is the "faithful" setting. It has warmer tones, and realistic color contrast. The rest of the settings tweaks the camera too far.

I am torn about whether this camera is a professional camera or not. It has no built in on board flash, which is a plus. But why does it have an "auto" button? What about that print option. Its almost like Canon could not decide who to market this unit to. I know that serious photograhers will purchase this camera just for shooting raw images in full frame. This will still be my backup camera to my 1d mk II. I also have the 20d and miss the faster frames per second. There is noticeably quieter shutter click. Its soft and slow. Almost like the Nikon D70.

I like the fact that I can shoot with a smaller, lighter body. It fits in my smaller camera bag. I did purchase the vertical grip and it does add weight, but not as much as the 1d mk II.

I was disappointed that Photoshop cs is not compatible with this camera. You also have to upgrade your "Microsoft raw viewer". I still prefer Photoshop raw editor to other third party applications. I have since upgrade both applications and my images never looked better.

I am disappointed that my Canon 24-70 2.8 lens has barrel distortion as well as serious vignetting. However, my Sigma 24-70mm 2.8m lens works and focuses much better. No distortion or vignetting. My other L lenses work fine. I am disappointed but I can compensate with my Sigma lens for closeup portrait shooting. I also experience the camera locking up once. I could not explain what happen. But I turn it off and kept shooting at another location. Any one else have this problem, please let me know.

Overall, Canon has reached another marketing milestone with this camera. They have put in the full frame feature and tried to lure prosumers into the pro type camera. Although the price is still high for amatuers the camera is within reach of serious shooters. There is nothing worst than shooting a wedding with some rookie with a $3,000 digital camera, standing next to you asking you questions how it works.

I can see the Canon 5Ds mk II, in the near future. If you care to see samples of the 5D at work, click on http://digitalquest.my-expressions.com, THANKS!

May 31, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Zagisis to your Buddy List
Canonic

Registered: May 21, 2006
Location: Russia
Review Date: May 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,850.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Superb image quality, good contrast and saturation, sharp details. Unbelievably wide dynamic range. Low noise even at ISO 800. Fast and accurate autofocusing. Bright viewfinder.
Cons:
Costy. Not sealed from dust and water. Only 3 fps continuous shooting speed.

It's 'a giant step' for photography people. The first and only DSLR with full frame sensor. Dynamic range seems to be quite the same as for color reversible films or even more wide. More details in shadows and lights. AF works pretty fast and accurate. Nice built. No internal flash. But who needs in in a semi-pro camera?

May 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Canonic to your Buddy List
dombest

Registered: Aug 20, 2004
Review Date: May 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Low Noise at high ISO's, big and bright viewfinder, build quality, shutter sound, FF, superb image quality
Cons:
flash sync speed, neck strap, 3 FPS, no quick and EZ mirror lockup, occassional moire,

I don't want this be viewed as a Canon commercial but...

I bought my 5D around October 2005. It was pricey but I think at the time it was fair value. I bought the battery grip also. The body with grip is great for landscape but a bit uncomfortable in portrait orientation.

The camera's features and menus are easy enough to use once you've played with them a bit. Stepping up from other Canon DSLRs will be a breeze.

The camera with the grip and a fast lens is a bit heavy, especially if you add a 580 flash. Consiering the weight, Canon should have provided a better neck strap. I subsequently bought an OpTeck neoprene strap which I highly recommend.

I've only ever used the camera with the portrait grip and 2 batteries. Battery life is excellent, even is very cold temperature.

The flash sync speed is quite low for this type of body and for the price I paid.

It's been said that the AF points are too close and I fully agree. A bit more spacing would have been ideal.

3 FPS is about as low as you can get these days but the files are considerably larger than an 8 MP body. Still, would it have killed Canon engineers to push this up a bit?

Colours are very good once you tweak the settings to your taste. I find the picture styles pretty much useless and generally shoot faithful or custom style. I still don't like the redish look in skin tones and generally find that I need to adjust it in PS. For other types of photography, colours are excellent.

Image quailty is superb and the file sizes will be more than adequet for most purposes.

Overall: great body and worth buying one.

May 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dombest to your Buddy List
albertwang

Registered: Jul 9, 2005
Review Date: May 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: full frame, high ISO, clear view finder, large LCD, RGB histgram,
Cons:
Expensive,

It is a fantastic camera. Before I owned a 20D and XT, I sold my XT and bought this 5D. It is so much better than 20D though 20D is also a great camera and I love it. With EF-24-70 f/2.8L lense, 5D is an ideal camera for walking around and wedding. Though the price is high, I believe it worth that money.

May 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add albertwang to your Buddy List
LanceUSA

Registered: Mar 7, 2006
Review Date: May 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Full frame, resolution, soft shutter sound, spot metering
Cons:
Expensive

I currently own the 20D also but was always unimpressed by the quality of wide angle shots. I just don't think the 8 MegaPixels could handle it. I purchased the 5D for better resolution at the wider end. Now I can use my 17-40mm f/4L lens for wide angle shots rather than the 10-20mm Sigma I was using with the 20D. Just a note, I find that this is not a total replacement for the 20D unless you buy a longer lens for telephoto shots...I've kept my 20D to use with my 70-200mm f/4L which produces excellent results.

A few things right off the bat about the 5D. The images that come right out of the cam seem to have much better color than the 20D. I always noticed the 20D to produce flatter, grayer images...the 5D to me seems closer to what film produces. I compared the 2 cameras at ISO 1600 (on screen not print) and the 5D won hands down...Now this is probably because there was more info in the 5D file when scaling down than the 20D. Garbage in, garbage out, as they say.

I also noticed the images are sharper right out of the camera. I'm not sure if Canon reduced the effect of the anti-aliasing filter or not...but I noticed I sharpen alot less in PS...I actually had to add guassian blur to an image I posted online because it was too damn sharp. And I'm a sharp freak so I was quite happy with this result. I mean as photographers we should determine the sharpness of our images...not some filter to do it for us.

The feel of the camera is exactly the same as 20D...barely a learning curve. I'm happy that I also have a spot meter now.

The viewfinder seems huge, although I don't know if its really any different than the 20D...I noticed the info at the bottom is alot smaller so I presume it is.

I think if you like wide angle photography, and want the resolution to handle it...this is a great cam. I think it will keep me happy longer than my 20D did.

A few sample photos:
All my work can be viewed at http://lanceusa.deviantart.com

May 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add LanceUSA to your Buddy List
Sheila

Registered: Apr 28, 2002
Review Date: May 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Full frame, little if any sharpening required, high dynamic range, great colour
Cons:
For some reason the mode dial can easily be knocked from Av to Tv - but that's just my clumsiness!

What can I say that's not been said before. This, to me, is the ultimate dslr. My 17-40 suddenly becomes what it was designed for - wiiiiide. While I thought I had issues with the 24-105, this is excellent on the 5D. While I lose "length" with my Canon 300 f/4L IS, I have not really missed it to date. For those with the 20D, my advice - go for it. You will not be disappointed. I am constantly amazed that no sharpening is required and the 100% crops are mind blowing. The 5D does require good glass (which I have). Regarding dust - well, we all have dust issues with any dslr. I find I clean my sensor no more than I did with my 20D and I am constantly changing lenses. I have a gallery dedicated to this camera - go to http://www.pbase.com/sheila and check out the 5D gallery.

Cheers
Sheila

May 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Sheila to your Buddy List
KELLY68

Registered: May 30, 2005
Review Date: Apr 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,999.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great Images
Cons:
Exposure lock broke in the field.

Apr 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add KELLY68 to your Buddy List
JasonL

Registered: May 25, 2004
Review Date: Apr 18, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: $2,469.99

Pros: FF, low noise at high ISO, sharp images (almost 1d classic like), more robust feeling than 20D but not on par with the 1 series, huge VF (try holding up a 1dmk2 or 20D on one eye, and the 5d on the other), Huge file size (great for cropping), shallow DOF, wide angle lenses are WIDE.
Cons:
AI-servo banding with certain lenses, viewfinder gets dusty rather quickly, 'cheap' feeling CF door and BG battery door, AF spread too centered, huge file size (need bigger CF cards), occasional moiré, soft LCD display.

See above

Apr 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JasonL to your Buddy List
kirbic

Registered: May 3, 2003
Review Date: Apr 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Terrific image quality in a compact body, big, bright viewfinder, very responsive to controls (no, for me the 3 fps doesn't seem too slow). True "35mm" lens FoV, and all the detail the the full image circle can provide.
Cons:
more frequent sensor cleaning is desirable for those who shoot often at small aperture. LCD viewing in bright daylight could be better, even with the "brightness fix" in the updated firmware.

I took possession of my 5D (upgrade from 10D) in September '05. After 6+ months with the canmera, I'm still impressed by the image quality every time I process shots. The detail and dynamic range are both of note; the less-aggressive AA filter is really a benefit. The images need very little in the way of sharpening, and any sharpening is best done at very low radius. The shear amount of detail captured when using high-quality glass is stunning. The importance of the fact that the camera uses most of the image circle helps immensely here. The 5D has a reputation for being very hard on lenses. It does show up problems in corners that are not seen with smaller sensors, but so did film. Over most of the frame, it's actually no worse a test than the 10D was; the larger pixel pitch helps.
The RGB histogram provides far superior exposure information to the luminosity-based histogram on non-1-series Canon DSLRs.
The AF accuracy is greatly improved from the 10D; my 50/1.4 was pretty much unusable wide open on the 10D, but spot on every time on the 5D. Low-light focusing is better as well.
High-ISO performance on this camera sets a very high benchmark indeed. While ISO 800 was just usable on the 10D, the 5D provides very usable ISO 1600 and darn good ISO3200! For those of us that enjoy existing light photography, this camera is heaven.
The less agressive AA filter results in more easily visible sensor dust, and the increased possibility of moire showing up. I don't think it actually *collects* more dust, but it shows up faster. More frequent sensor cleaning is required, but that's a small trade-off for the incredible image quality. The good old copperhill method provides good, fast, inexpensive cleaning results. Moire has not been a problem for me; on the few occasions it has shown up, I've been able to handle it in post-processing. I would not trade the greater detail to get rid of minor, occasional moire.
In summary, this is the camera I've been wanting for years. The 10D was a stopgap. I don't want to perpetuate "full frame hype," not everyone wants or needs the larger sensor size. For those who have the use for the larger format, though, this camera does not disappoint. The current price point, and the current rebate, make it a terrific deal. I don't regret for a second paying even the higher price... 6 months of 5D photos are definitely worth it.

Apr 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kirbic to your Buddy List
JasonL

Registered: May 25, 2004
Review Date: Apr 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,600.00 | Rating: 8

Cons:
AI-servo banding, dusty viewfinder, 'cheap' feeling CF door and BG battery door, AF spread too centered, huge file size (need bigger CF cards), occasional moiré, soft LCD display.

Affordable FF for the masses. Great 'feeling' body with the exception of the cheap feeling CF door and BG-e4 battery door. In landscape orientation, the camera feels great in your hands with the grip, but in portrait orientation, grip feels ‘chunky’ (not a good feeling). Images that come out of this camera are phenomenal. Sharp, without any PP, and large enough for serious cropping if needed. AF is good, but the focus points need to be spread out more.

Apr 17, 2006