223 277613 Nov 30, 2013
5d_586x225_2_

The new Canon EOS 5D offers advanced photographers a lightweight, robust digital SLR that uses Canon's superlative EF lenses without a conversion factor. Its full-frame 12.8 Megapixel CMOS sensor combines with Canon's DIGIC II Image Processor, a high-precision 9-point AF system with 6 assist points, and "Picture Style" color control to deliver images of superior quality with enough resolution for any application. With its wide-angle capabilities, 2.5 inch LCD and magnesium-alloy body, the 5D is the perfect addition to the Digital EOS line.

World's smallest and lightest full-frame digital SLR* with a 12.8 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and superb image quality.
DIGIC II Image Processor for outstanding image quality and performance - 3.0 fps for up to 60 consecutive JPEG or 17 RAW frames in a burst.
New larger 2.5 inch LCD screen can be viewed even at extreme angles up to 170.
New "Picture Style" function for superior command of in-camera color, contrast and sharpness.
High-precision 9-point AF with 6 additional Supplemental points surrounding the center point for superior focus tracking.
Strong and light magnesium-alloy body with new shutter durability-tested to 100,000 exposures.
Compatible with over 50 Canon EF lenses and most EOS System accessories.

adonis_abril

Registered: Mar 22, 2005
Review Date: Dec 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,799.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Full-Frame, Resolution, Clean sharp images, and Large viewfinder.
Cons:
Ergonomics, MLU buried deep in Custom Functions, Build, No built-in flash, Expensive.

I damaged my Nikon D200 beyond repair on a photographic trip - dropped it on a raging waterfall. I didn't have a large collection of Nikon lenses and I'm mostly a landscape shooter. I figured I needed fullframe and higher resolution, the 5D in this regard delivers. Holding the camera side by side with the Nikon D200 make it apparently obvious that Canon doesn't know how to produce a photographer's camera. Ergonomics is a bit off, I can operate the D200 on one hand while I need both on the 5D. Build quality is ok, I would think it better than average have I not had the D200 to compare it with. That's fine since, I'm not taking the camera into battle or anything.

The biggest downfall is the MLU feature. I use this feature often, being a landscape photographer, but somehow it's cumbersome, compared to the D200, to use. There's also no built-in flash. I have to buy a $200 remote trigger to use an external flash remotely while it's a built-in feature on the D200. It is remarkably expensive for having so many missing features...but that's the price you pay for fullframe. In the end it's the final image that counts and in this, the Canon 5D delivers...not a major jump from 10.2 MP that the Nikon D200 provides but in landscapes a 10-15% gain is never a bad thing.

Dec 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add adonis_abril to your Buddy List
john Paul

Registered: Jul 22, 2005
Review Date: Nov 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Full Frame, Solid Build, Autofocus, spot meter, large read LCD, quiet shutter, newly designed vertical grip is a big plus, huge buffer, DigicII which is some great plumming, high iso performance.
Cons:
Some what sluggish shutter release button, rear buttons not very flush, diopter turns too easily.

I have been generally very very happy with the 5D.. The 5D was never meant to take away from the 1DsMKII body, and was intentionally designed to be a lesser of a camera, but overall, quite nice, and I can do 90% of the work I do with the 5D, which makes me pretty happy... Pretty much everything I do regarding action photography, I reserve for my Mk2 bodies..

I was originally planning on keeping my 20D bodies until I used this camera for a day.. I suddenly just hated the 1.6 cropping factor that I had been using since the days when I had a pair of D30 bodies, followed by the 10D bodies.. I ended up selling those and upgrading to the 1DMk2 bodies...which aren't FF, but much closer to it.. I can now use my lenses the way they were made...to be used on a 24mm x 36mm frame format! My backgrounds are softer now,..which allows for much better separation of the subject from the background, while using the same lens as I was on a 1.6 crop body.. The 5D has made my headshots really come alive now.. I often shoot 135mm & 200mm primes where before, I would not venture longer than 85mm..I now use the 24mm TS lens to it's full advantage, and plan on buying the 45 & 90mm TS lenses as well.. I wouldn't even dream of putting those on a crop camera body, which would be pretty pointless..

The biggest complaint I have for this camera is the way the buttons on the back are designed.. they stick out more on the 5D than on any other Canon digital body, which allows my nose to turn on the info & menu screens.. That has caused several missed shots, and lost expressions..which is very irritating to me.. In addition, the view finder diopter turns too easily, which has screwed up a few shots.. but that's what tape is for.. ;-)

The image quality is better than the 1Ds body,..and I have used my 5D side beside 1Ds bodies in the same exact lighting conditions, in a commercial studio setting, and in low light where the higher iso speeds really shine!

This however is not designed to outlast a 1Ds body, nor meant for any real action photography....which doesn't mean you can't shoot action with it,...(having shot pro outdoor soccer with my D30 bodies which were just awful for that type of subject, but I managed to get by)....the 5D can be used to take action shots, but the shutter release is not like that of the 1-series bodies...nor the AI-servo AF.. I'd say the One shot AF is better than the 1-series though.. I talked a friend out of buying a 5D body after I showed him the relatively slow shutter release lag time.. He shoots pro baseball & hockey with his cameras, and they need to be quick...the 5D isn't the best choice for that..

There are a few things that would make it a better performing camera like a faster frame rate...or 1/250ths sync speed..but Canon designed it to be exactly like so we could go out and spend a lot more on the 1DsMk2 body, if we really really needed all that....I can get by without those little differences..and I have been very happy with mine..

Thank you Canon for making FF much more affordable for photographers like me! :-)

JPphotographer.com

Nov 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add john Paul to your Buddy List
wtfisk

Registered: Apr 29, 2003
Review Date: Nov 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding IQ! This camera has given me the highest level IQ ever. Previous owner of 10D and 20D. Don't leave home without it!
Cons:
It can attract a lot of dust so you have to be ever ready for a cleaning after anoutside shoot. 3 fps is not worthy of a professional level camera. Pricey! Does not have a weather seal for the high cost.

Outstanding IQ! This camera has given me the highest level IQ ever. Previous owner of 10D and 20D. It is built solidly and needs little modification over the 10D, 20D, and 30D. Needs a beeter level of glass and deserves it! You'll never go back to a 1.6 crop factor again. FF really rocks! Picture styles are handy and can be modified. Colors are vibrant and magnificent. If you're thinking about either a 30D or a 1D Mark IIn...shop no further! Get the 5D!

At times I miss the effect on telephoto shots..like on the moon. It can attract a lot of dust so you have to be ever ready for a cleaning after anoutside shoot. 3 fps is not worthy of a professional level camera. Although the price is dropping, it was very pricey not too long ago. You will have to invest in a higher quality of glass and will therefore add to the overall expense. Does not have a weather seal for the high cost.

Nov 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wtfisk to your Buddy List
kennyahn

Registered: Aug 7, 2005
Review Date: Nov 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,799.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality, noise control, ergonomics, weight balance, large viewfinder, Auto Focus
Cons:
could use 5fps

I had two 20D bodies after upgrading from a Rebel XT. I hesitated to get the 5D since I felt that the only real upgrade was that it would be full frame. Even then, I wasn't honestly knowledgeable about what that would do for me. I'm just a hobbyist, but dang, I'm thoroughly impressed with this 5D. It makes my photographs look half way decent now.

Nov 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kennyahn to your Buddy List
dturina

Registered: May 16, 2004
Location: Croatia
Review Date: Oct 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, 35mm sensor, large viewfinder, autofocus, speed of operation, weight and balance
Cons:
not environmentally sealed, no sensor cleaning (unlike Olympus), flimsy compartment doors, lots of dust gets into the finder, awkward and un-ergonomic command placement compared to Olympus, Minolta, Nikon and probably all other brands; no viewfinder closing switch; poor custom setting solution

First things first: this thing has the best image quality on this side of medium format digital backs. Real resolution is the same as 1Ds II, and subjective image quality is stellar; definitely in the medium format film territory. Also, the operation is fast, without delays, and it has most features one would want (not all, though - dead pixel mapping, for instance). The viewfinder is excellent, the same size I had on a 35mm Minolta, and a relief after tunnel vision of Olympus E1.

Being used to Olympus E1 build quality, 5d feels a bit flimsy and un-ergonomic. Also, it gets dusty and requires frequent cleaning if you're not careful when changing lenses. I'm used to having a weatherproof camera so it can feel a bit uncomfortable if I have to expose it to sprinkling waterfalls and occasional rain, so I hope Canon will release one that has weather sealing, but without price&weight penalty of a 1Ds II. Olympus E1 has a much better solution for custom settings; 5d has only one, and it's on the command dial which prevents you from using Av/Tv/M/B modes while the camera is on custom settings. Olympus has multiple custom settings and you can use them in all camera modes. Canon has a thing or two to learn in the area of ergonomics, it seems. However, the camera itself works very nicely, it's quick, not too heavy, it's cheap enough to buy without getting a mortgage on the house, and produces excellent image quality; for the first time since I use digital I'm not concerned with resolution or DR, because I know it's enough for anything I will ever need, and I don't need to upgrade, ever. However, I would prefer its sensor and electronics inside an Olympus E1 body, which is simply better.

Oct 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dturina to your Buddy List
Flappie

Registered: Oct 15, 2004
Review Date: Oct 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,800.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Image Quality, size & weight, price, viewfinder size OK
Cons:
Ergonomics (double function buttons (changing ISO should be easier), viewfinder information (not only ISO, they should be able to add other stuff like drive, AF modus,...), lack of weathersealing

I have my 5D for 10 months now
Image quality wise the 5D is an amazing camera, and I also like the size and weight

While the viewfinder size is OK (but nothing compared to those good old MF SLR), I think there is a serious lack of information in the viewfinder. It is 2006, Canon should be able to get ALL info from th etop LCD in the viewfinder, that would allow me to do all changes in settings without taking the cam away from my eye

A 3000 EUR electronic device should have weathersealing

Oct 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Flappie to your Buddy List
Benjamin Haith

Registered: Oct 25, 2006
Review Date: Oct 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,699.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: build, grip, resolution, features, consecutive shot speed
Cons:
sensor attracts dust more than any other camera I've tried, price

Absolutely a fantastic camera. For some reason, the sensor attracts more dust than other DSLRs, but as long as you have a good supply of sensor swabs, you;re set. Pricey, but worth the investment, espescially for wide-angle shots.

Oct 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Benjamin Haith to your Buddy List
ukcolin

Registered: Nov 12, 2005
Review Date: Oct 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great image quality, well made, good controls, black.
Cons:
Pricey.

The image quality is superb compared with my previous 300D and 35mm film cameras. The only formats I have used which compare are MF and LF 4x5. The build quality inspires confidence excepting the CF card door. The camera is large compared with APS-C size cameras but I quickly got used to that. I like the black colour for its relative unobtrusiveness. The controls are well set out, the top panel gives all the information needed and the display is a good size though is still impossible to see in sunlight. I bought mine with a Canon rebate If using the Canon rebate remember to fulfil all the conditions and send it all by registered mail to ensure it can be tracked. Overall I am delighted with my 5D.

Oct 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ukcolin to your Buddy List
Stuart Roll

Registered: Oct 13, 2006
Review Date: Oct 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Size (with grip) build, ease of use
Cons:
Size (without grip)

Upgaded from the 20D, and im glad i did, this beets the 20D hands down. As I have big hands this is a perfect size with grip.

Oct 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Stuart Roll to your Buddy List
pamo

Registered: Nov 8, 2005
Location: Slovenia

Pros: Full frame, image quality.
Cons:
Sensor dusty direct from factory.

Oct 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pamo to your Buddy List
Ross T.

Registered: Dec 14, 2005
Review Date: Oct 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredible Camera!!!
Cons:

Amazing Image Quality...I've had mine for 1 yr now, Love it....Full Frame , so your Wide Angle Lenses are Still Wide Angle....One Battery Charge will last you ALL DAY....A GREAT CAMERA!!!

Oct 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ross T. to your Buddy List
Nick De Marco

Registered: Jun 13, 2006
Review Date: Oct 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Full frame, great at any iso, good handling, image quality and resolution
Cons:
None, except the price I guess

I love my 5D. Had it just a couple of months now, and my only regret is that I cannot go out ans use it more. It has made me only bother with the best lenses and not use any other digital camera (although it has rekindle my interest in film) since buying it.

I have set up a gellery of pics taken with the 5D here

Oct 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Nick De Marco to your Buddy List
mbailey

Registered: Apr 12, 2005
Review Date: Oct 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid build, Oustanding image quality and iso performance. Great view screen. Excellent focusing performance. Full frame. Large viewfinder.
Cons:
Not as sturdy as a 1 series. Low frame rate. No weather sealing.

This camera is perfect for me. Iam a hobbyist that shoots portraits and an occasional wedding. I dont need high frame rates. If conditions deteriorate I put the camera away. This model gives me what I want most - image quality, full frame, iso performance, and great focusing.

Oct 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mbailey to your Buddy List
Jake Holt

Registered: Oct 7, 2006
Review Date: Oct 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,299.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Exceptional image quality (low noise and lots of detail), no crop factor, large bright viewfinder, overall sturdy feel, large RAW buffer
Cons:
CF door needs redesign (Nikon D200 has a much better locking door design), worthless Direct Print button, sensor and viewfinder dusty direct from factory - Canon's QC is very suspect - my first 5D had a defective sensor

After owning this camera for a month and using it side by side with a 20D, I can say that, overall, I am very pleased.

I'll get the bad out of the way first - my first copy of this camera had a defective sensor - very noticeable horizontal banding at all ISO speeds, even 100 ISO. I took in samples to my local shop and they swapped it out for a new one that is working great. However, this has made me very wary of Canon's QC procedures. This is the second Canon DSLR I have purchased that was defective right out of the box. (my 20D's viewfinder LCD was broken) Not to mention the fact that all 3 Canon DSLR's I have purchased have had dust on the sensor and in the viewfinder straight from the factory. Yes, I know, dust is a fact of life with DSLR's, but really, you'd think they could at least get it to you without dust inside it. Oh well, I rarely shoot above 5.6, so dust is really no biggie.

Now the good - the image quality from this camera has greatly exceeded my expectations. I often hear many people say that you can't see the quality unless you print bigger than 11x14 and so on, yadda yadda. This is not true whatsoever - at least to my eyes. I've done side by side test prints, 5D vs. 20D and the difference is huge. Once you get to 8x10, it's no comparison. I have worked in photolabs full time for over 10 years, and I've seen lots of prints from every media imaginable, and I can say with complete confidence that the files from this camera, properly processed, totally leave cropped sensor cameras as well as 35mm film in the dust.

I shoot primarily weddings, and on a typical group shot, even at 5x7, there is facial detail clearly visible that would just be blurry mush on the 20D. Both cameras are being used with Canon's 17-40L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, and 200 2.8L. I already convinced one of my friends who also shoots weddings to upgrade to this camera based on the sharpness of the eyes in a series of group shots I printed at 5x7 and 8x10.

One thing that I don't see mentioned very often is this - the out of focus areas are very smooth and noise free, with much more pleasing transitions than the 20D from in focus to out of focus areas. This camera works wonders for people like me who love to shoot with a very shallow depth of field. While I still think the 20D is a good camera, one thing that often bothered me was that the OOF areas were somewhat noisy - not with the 5D! I have a just printed 24x36 hanging on my wall, and there is no more noise in the OOF areas than there is in the in-focus areas. This, for me, is the biggest reason to go full-frame. Plus, with the full frame, a given lens at a given aperture and distance form subject has a shallower depth of field, so you can really take advantage of fast lenses.

Overall, this camera just inspires confidence, from the solid build quality (not 1 series, but still very good - except CF door) to the much more pleasing shutter sound. This is the first DSLR I've used where I feel like I'm not compromising the quality of my images.

If you are thinking about it - do it! Unless you just have to have the exceptional build quality of the 1-series, or the 8FPS of the 1D Mark II N, you will be very happy with this camera, especially coming from a cropped-sensor camera. Just be sure that you test it thoroughly when you get it home, and buy if from someone with a good return policy!

Oct 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jake Holt to your Buddy List
kunze

Registered: Feb 11, 2005
Review Date: Oct 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Full-frame, Image quality, ISO 50, build quality seems more sturdy compared to eg. 20D, large monitor, large buffer for RAW, large bright viewfinder, improved "soft touch" shutter, price seems quite reasonable.
Cons:
I would like to get rid of the direct print button. Mirror lock-up could be a "Drive" option like Continous and Self-timer. To be honest I haven't found any real cons.

Definately the best camera you can get unless you "go pro" with a 1-series. Still I find it hard to see why you should buy a 1-series, as the price is much higher compared to very little extras in my opinion. I actually prefer to work with the non-pros (20D, 5D etc.) as the way you operate it is more userfriendly.

Quite impressive when it comes to noise, Canon continues to hold the lead at this point.

Sooooo nice to have the full-frame, I really get some neat wide angle with my 16-35mm f/2.8L. But of course it requires good lenses like Canon L-series. Don't you dare to mount something cheap on a full frame.

I really enjoy ISO 50, when in the studio my camera is fixed at the speed. Gives more flexibility than not having lower than 100.

I think the build quality is a bit better than that of the 20D and 30D. Might just be me, not sure, but I really like it. Of course it's not a weatherproof 1D as you don't pay for that. So stop complaining about that one ;o)

The buffer has been greatly improved compared to that of the 20D, which I used before. I'd prefer 3 FPS and buffer for 13 RAW images over having 5 FPS and only 6 RAW images in the buffer. Of course this is different with the 30D.
I don't consider the 3 FPS a problem, usually don't need more for my purposes, and in case I do I will have to get my 20D.

Coming from 1,8", the 2,5" TFT is definately something you wille enjoy.

The "direct print"-button has no reason to be there. It would be more reasonable to just leave in the menu. Such a button would make a lot more sense on an IXUS, not an EOS. Would actually gladly pay another 100 USD to get rid of it.

Quite a few people complain about the price - I, like a few others, don't complain about it.
People who think that the 5D is overpriced should read more information on CCD/CMOS chips, their production, the cost of making them etc.
Physical size of sensor equals price, so there's a reason why the 5D is (approx.) 2x the price of 30D.

Oh, did I mention the improved handle? It has a little curve for better grip. Quite nice!

- Simon Hoff Kunze @ http://SimonKunze.dk

Oct 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kunze to your Buddy List
Lasse Eriksson

Registered: Sep 13, 2006
Review Date: Sep 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Image quality is very good,
Cons:
FPS, Build, No SD cards, Expensive

Very nice image quality from the camera, but very expensive also.

Sep 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Lasse Eriksson to your Buddy List

223 277613 Nov 30, 2013