223 280153 Nov 30, 2013
5d_586x225_2_

The new Canon EOS 5D offers advanced photographers a lightweight, robust digital SLR that uses Canon's superlative EF lenses without a conversion factor. Its full-frame 12.8 Megapixel CMOS sensor combines with Canon's DIGIC II Image Processor, a high-precision 9-point AF system with 6 assist points, and "Picture Style" color control to deliver images of superior quality with enough resolution for any application. With its wide-angle capabilities, 2.5 inch LCD and magnesium-alloy body, the 5D is the perfect addition to the Digital EOS line.

World's smallest and lightest full-frame digital SLR* with a 12.8 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and superb image quality.
DIGIC II Image Processor for outstanding image quality and performance - 3.0 fps for up to 60 consecutive JPEG or 17 RAW frames in a burst.
New larger 2.5 inch LCD screen can be viewed even at extreme angles up to 170°.
New "Picture Style" function for superior command of in-camera color, contrast and sharpness.
High-precision 9-point AF with 6 additional Supplemental points surrounding the center point for superior focus tracking.
Strong and light magnesium-alloy body with new shutter durability-tested to 100,000 exposures.
Compatible with over 50 Canon EF lenses and most EOS System accessories.

kevindar

Registered: May 6, 2006
Review Date: Nov 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, weight, handling
Cons:
by now a little dated. Does not have some of the newer features like Live view. 3fps. not the 1 series auto focus

The 5D will remain a classic. At the current price point, there is nothing like it. The image quality is absolutely fantastic, and the camera is very usable at iso 1600. I was turned of by the weight and bulk of 1 series camera.
I have had no issues with this camera. This camera is best suited for landscape and portrait photography as well as travel photography. With the current canon lens lineup, the combination of 5D and 24-105 makes the best general walk around option. Very happy with this cam.

Nov 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kevindar to your Buddy List
samdiesel

Registered: Nov 23, 2005
Review Date: Nov 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Full Frame. Amazing Low Light Performance @ High ISO. Looks and Feels Professional.
Cons:
Can be a dust magnet if you're not careful.

Upgrading from a Rebel XT, the 5d is such a pleasure.

Full Frame really brings out the full usage of L series lenses (5D + 35L = money).

I cannot believe how well noise is controlled at high ISO. ISO 800 is totally usable thanks to the larger photosites on the sensor.

Spot metering is another amazing advantage over the Rebel XT.

If you have quality glass, get a quality camera. The 5d is probably the best bang for your buck camera on the market today.

If you shoot landscapes or portraits, and have quality lenses, don't even think twice about the 5D. Go out and get it. The images you can produce are worth the price.

Long Live Full Frame!

Nov 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add samdiesel to your Buddy List
recordproducti

Registered: Jul 11, 2005
Review Date: Nov 6, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Stunning image quality, solid, fast, good battery life, full frame.
Cons:
Dust, LCD screen is not good enough

I thought I'd post a follow up review. I've had my 5D for close on 2 years now and it's been superb. It's been 100% reliable, it's produced amazing images and it's able to produce rich and vibrant pictures, even at high ISO's.

The only negative aspects are the dust that seems to get in on every second lens change but no biggie, the screen just isn't good enough to give a real idea of the exposure in some situations. Yes, the histogram is used for judging exposure but in many situations I find that the highlights are blown when the histogram looks good so a better and bigger LCD would be nice.

The thing that I have found is that with cheap lenses you are cramping the camera's ability. When used with great lenses such as the 85L mkII or the 35L it's able to produce awesome images. I strongly suggest that if you have this camera that you sell all your average lenses and have even just one good lens and build up a good collection.

Since buying the 5D I must have shot coming on 100,000 exposures, all without fault. I've had countless magazine front covers and note that the power users who rate the 5D with low marks saying it's small, flimsy etc just are being silly.

If a new version (when a new version) comes out with a bigger screen, dust removal, more pixels, wider spaced focus points etc I will buy that but at the prices that you can buy the 5D for now it's an absolute bargain. Marks out of 10? 11. Smile

Nov 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add recordproducti to your Buddy List
KETCH ROSSI

Registered: Sep 11, 2007
Review Date: Nov 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great value, Full Frame.
Cons:
n/a

I purchased this camera, after my 1Dn MARK II was stolen (great camera), the 5D is no doubt a great little camera (compared to the 1D bodies), but at the end did not fulfilled my needs, also I found it a bit small in my hands and did not like much the fill to it with the grip.

I still would recomend this camera to any one in the market for a FF camera as the price can not be overlooked, just a great deal.

I only sold this to my friend because I purchased the new otstanding 1D MARK III.

Nov 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add KETCH ROSSI to your Buddy List
pixelda

Registered: Sep 4, 2006
Review Date: Oct 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Wide ISO range with great IQ. 99% similar to my old 30D - upgrading was easy. Price
Cons:
Dust, less battery life than expected.

Adjusting from my old 30D to the 5D took a few weeks, despite being 99% similar (which was a bonus as there was not much new to learn, and it takes the same battery).

Formats a memory card quicker than a 30D, and I had to install the software that came with the camera as the 30D software would not recognise it.

Controls are where I am used to them, everything operates smoothly. The only operational niggle is that I often end up pressing a menu button when looking into the viewfinder. I wear glasses, so maybe I just my face at a different angle to others.

From new, it came preloaded with dust! I use a blower before every session, and try to avoid f16 or above unless I need it, which makes the spots more visible.

The viewfinder shows less than the full frame - I would like 100% reality, but it's not a major issue.

Battery life is less than my old 30D by 25% or so (I manually focus, so lens batter drain is irrelevant), but it formats a 4Gbyte memory card twice as fast. One charge should be enough for about 4-6 Gbytes or so of captures (less when using AF and IS)

The wide ISO range is great, and I use ISO 50 when I want a longer exposure (e.g. leaves drifting down a river to create patterns). IQ from ISO 50 to 800 is superb, and I use ISO 200 as standard.

Full frame is great. It turns my 70-200mm f2.8 L IS into a useful wide ranging lens, rather than a variable telephoto, as it did on the old 30D.

Nice to hold and use. I tried a friends 400D and found it too tiny for my hands, and too dim to focus manually (my usual choice).

I'll save up for a 1Ds Mk III, but even then, would keep the 5D as a second camera

Oct 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pixelda to your Buddy List
Chris Fawkes

Registered: Feb 1, 2006
Review Date: Oct 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Feels great, looks great, delivers excellent results.
Cons:

I love this camera. It feels great in the hand and is just a pleasure to use.
Some images can be seen at
The first 4 images, then if yoy scroll along to the boy against the graffitti wall to the end of the wedding shots. All 5D.

My use is portraits and weddings. Sport photographers may have different needs of course.

Oct 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chris Fawkes to your Buddy List
JanPhoto

Registered: Feb 27, 2006
Location: Ethiopia
Review Date: Oct 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Canon 5D is absolutely AWESOME camera. It is Pro-Like camera on budget. Anyhow, it offers enough futures for skill photographer to create gallery quality images. I have used personally this camera in dusty, industrial environment (Crystal Glass Manufacturing) and I was overwhelmed with results. I do not consider this camera as dust pump at all bur some Canon lenses I do ...
Cons:
Nada ...

Canon 5D is offering palette of futures which will satisfy most demanding photographer. Quality of image processor is truly “Canon-like” means the best there is ... I think that rest of issue as far as quality of image is on the shutter ...

Oct 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JanPhoto to your Buddy List
davidmarsh

Registered: Oct 26, 2004
Review Date: Sep 15, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 1

Pros: The canon 5D is a fantastic camera with its full frame, 12 mp and so forth. It has superb colour balance and handles noise really well. It is quite when shooting churches where a noisy shutter can be embarissing.
Cons:
The down side is the dust, this camera is bettre than a vacume cleaner collecting every dust particle it can from any area you pass by! We have given up with it and ar enow replacing our %ds with the newer 40D. I have never expereinced anything like it, even when changing the lenses in a relatively clean area under the perfect conditions, the 5D will still get dust. I am convinced the 'D' in 5D standsd for DUST! We use Canon 1DS MII's and they have very little dust problems even when changing lenses on th eface of a dusty volcano, we still get hardly any dust.

I love Canon and have had every digital model they have made. We are Pro photographers and regularly use the 1DS Mark II's and they are fantatsic. We hoped to use the 5D's as backup units. However, thanks to their ability to suck up more dust than a 10 ton digger, we have ditched them completely. even uder the perfect lens changing conditions, they suck up dust fom anywhere. NASA should use them on Mars as they could collect far more than the mechanical arm!! Sad, as the actual image quality, hidden behind the dust, is great and the image quality is great. The camera is a fantastic unit that is totaly blow apart due to its dust problems. We are now changing our 5Ds to canon 40Ds as these should perform like the 30Ds which are great. If, like us, you have the FF 1DS M IIs, you really do not need the 5Ds.

Sep 15, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add davidmarsh to your Buddy List
toma7

Registered: Jan 31, 2007
Location: Austria
Review Date: Sep 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: low noise, full frame, image quality, large viewfinder, fast AF, easy to use
Cons:
dust, no weather sealing, only 9 focus points, price
Sep 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add toma7 to your Buddy List
Arif Alam

Registered: Mar 26, 2007
Review Date: Aug 29, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Beautifully detailed images with exceptional noise control and color reproduction.
Cons:
Unforgiving in nature if attention not paid to adequate exposure and tendancy to blown highlights if not careful.

This is my 2nd post for this camera and I now have a EOS 40D to replace my 30D. Yes you read it correctly, a EOS 40D !!!

My first impression of the 40D is that it is a good replacement for the 30D as it has everything that the 30D had with some nice additional features such as dust control and a larger 3inch screen and better color reproduction.

In terms of iso noise comparison I think it is similar or marginally better at iso 1600 compared to the 30D but I need to confirm this. However IT IS NO COMPARISON TO THE EOS 5D which still tops this in terms of image quality and noise performance. It does make a nice 2nd body if you like canon and can be used to change lenses frequently with the advantage of dust control and cropped sensor for telephoto reach.

It is a shame that the 5D is not weather sealed but I have not had any problems with dust as I do not change lens on this body very often.

I like to keep an open mind and no means a 'canonian' but the only issue that scared me about Nikon bodies is the comparison with noise performace that I am used to. I know that people often say that when it comes to making prints in practice this is not an issue but on a large monitor where I often view my photos this is an issue for me. In this respect the 5D is unbeatable for the price IMO regrdless of how others whine and complain about it. What does upset me is certain people giving a rating of 5 whose opinions are not balanced and basically want to put a point across in the heat of the moment.

On a lighter note the Nikon D300 looks promising and I am already thinking of how to get round the wife as I can not pass it on as one of my other bodies as it looks very different!
Any tips would be appreciated...

Aug 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Arif Alam to your Buddy List
willis

Registered: Jul 23, 2005
Review Date: Aug 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Beautiful files, compact compared to 1 series, low noise, now a relative bargain.
Cons:
Not a sports camera. Loss of reach for birding/wildlife.

All I need in a camera. Great to use a 24-70 as its meant to be. AF is certainly better than the 30D but focus tracking isnt great despite the extra AF points. Build is perfectly ok though I can understand that some early adopters who paid full price might be a bit disappointed that feel is similar to the old 10D. Only 3 FPS so not the best for sports. Full frame is a disadvantage for bird photography.
Overall it feels like a mature product and although there may be additions I'd like to see there are no important deficiencies for my purposes.Not the best in all areas but in many ways the best all rounder and especially strong where it counts most-image quality.

Aug 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add willis to your Buddy List
Benjamin Haith

Registered: Oct 25, 2006
Review Date: Aug 6, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $2,600.00

Pros: full frame, low noise, fairly quiet, easy to use, menus easy to navigate, high resolution, all around great camera
Cons:
Canonitis (dust magnet)

The main reason I'm writing this review is because of the few clearly misinformed misfits who saw fit to rate the camera based on their obviously limited experience with Canons and photography in general.

It is a dust magnet. All Canons are. If you're buying anything beyond the entry level Rebels (excellent cameras in their own right), you should know this. It's also very easy to clean. Noise is the lowest I've seen. ISO of 3200 is a tad noisy, but usable. The full frame sensor means you can use your wide angle lenses to their fullest potential (love my 15mm fisheye!). The build quality is perfectly fine. You're not paying for a weather sealed behemoth, you're paying for a good, full frame, high resolution camera. You'll get that.

I noticed one reviewer spoke of the limited lens selection. Hogwash. Everyone sells a Canon mount. Sure, it won't take the small frame "digital only" lenses, but there are plenty of "full frame" lenses that duplicate the range, specs, and quality of these new "digital only" lenses. B&H currently has 157 different models for sale that work with the 5D and, indeed, all full and partial frame digital cameras.

This is clearly not a camera for the few small minded fools who complained of irrelevant "faults". It's for the average to serious photog who wants a full frame, high resolution, high quality digital SLR.

Period.

Aug 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Benjamin Haith to your Buddy List
aero145

Registered: Jul 1, 2006
Review Date: Jul 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb image quality - Very nice hand grips (camera and BG-E4) - Fullframe sensor is a godsend - The screen is good
Cons:
Maybe would be nice to get a 5 fps buffer

Jul 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add aero145 to your Buddy List
vovkinson

Registered: Oct 13, 2005
Review Date: Jul 23, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $3,000.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Full Frame, clear viewfinder, light
Cons:
Flimsy for this price tag. Built the same as 20D, 30D. Enormous amount of hot pixels.Dust magnet.

This camera just doesn’t feel like $3000 photo device. Full frame is very good but it’s not everything that can justify this price tag. Extremely expensive! The hot pixels show up at 400ISO and I find it extremely irritating even if it can be fixed in ACR or Lightroom. Why one should fix it when it shouldn’t have happened in the first place?
The biggest problem here is the dust, very stubborn in comparison to my backup 30D. It’s like an oil drops that can be removed only at the service center. Some people recommend the wet swabs with alcohol or something ..As for me, I wouldn’t mess with $3000 camera rubbing the sensor with some stuff like that.
Actually it came brand new from the store already full of dust inside.

Anyway I shipped it back to the store with no regrets.
I guess I’m going back to my Mark II

Jul 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vovkinson to your Buddy List
Northwesterly

Registered: Sep 16, 2005
Review Date: Jul 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,494.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Full Frame, 12.8 Megapixel, Bigger 2.5" LCD, similar Controls to 20D yield to a shorter learning curve. ISO 1600 very minimal noise.
Cons:

Made the plunge on purchasing this camera, because I wanted to take advantage of the full frame sensor with my arsenal of L lenses. I have not been disappointed. It feels more solid in my hands than the 20D, the shutter does not have that noisy "SLAP" that I was accustomed to with the 20D as well.

The full frame is to die for! I wasn't keen on purchasing EF-S lenses because they are limited to a certain breed of crop cameras. My 17-40mm is now truly W I D E, and I like that a lot.

Let me also mention that you can push the ISO on this camera up to 1600, and the noise/grain is extremely minimal. You can create images in very low light as a result.

A great camera that I expect to have for many, many years.

Jul 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Northwesterly to your Buddy List
Mike Schneider

Registered: Jun 29, 2007
Review Date: Jul 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Weight, Size, Noise Control
Cons:
Build, No Weather Seal

Purchasing the 5D was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I carry this camera everywhere, from photojournal projects to nature hikes. It is light and small. Carrying a 1D Mark II can sometimes be strenuous. The 5D avoids that.

The 5D handles well under low-light situations. Concerts and indoors sports look great when using this camera. I will be using this camera until it dies.

Hopefully it doesn't die from water, though. I have found myself hiking in rain, and I am sometimes afraid to take it out.

Jul 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mike Schneider to your Buddy List

223 280153 Nov 30, 2013