223 277584 Nov 30, 2013
5d_586x225_2_

The new Canon EOS 5D offers advanced photographers a lightweight, robust digital SLR that uses Canon's superlative EF lenses without a conversion factor. Its full-frame 12.8 Megapixel CMOS sensor combines with Canon's DIGIC II Image Processor, a high-precision 9-point AF system with 6 assist points, and "Picture Style" color control to deliver images of superior quality with enough resolution for any application. With its wide-angle capabilities, 2.5 inch LCD and magnesium-alloy body, the 5D is the perfect addition to the Digital EOS line.

World's smallest and lightest full-frame digital SLR* with a 12.8 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and superb image quality.
DIGIC II Image Processor for outstanding image quality and performance - 3.0 fps for up to 60 consecutive JPEG or 17 RAW frames in a burst.
New larger 2.5 inch LCD screen can be viewed even at extreme angles up to 170°.
New "Picture Style" function for superior command of in-camera color, contrast and sharpness.
High-precision 9-point AF with 6 additional Supplemental points surrounding the center point for superior focus tracking.
Strong and light magnesium-alloy body with new shutter durability-tested to 100,000 exposures.
Compatible with over 50 Canon EF lenses and most EOS System accessories.

simonella_viru

Registered: Nov 19, 2005
Review Date: Apr 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: - relatively small form factor - large megapixel sensor (almost 13MP) - beautiful image quality - great high ISO performance - full frame (no stupid crop factor)
Cons:
- mediocre auto-focus - needs an update (sensor cleaning, live view, etc)

this is the best camera in canon's lineup, in my humble opinion. obviously, i'm not saying that from a purely performance standpoint. but rather: the camera is overall, dollar-for-dollar, feature-for-feature, the best canon camera on the market to suit _my_ needs.

i've used (and owned) the 1d III and i can say that it's too big and heavy for my needs. the 1d class of cameras is simply not practical for travel and for casual use (not to mention the excessive price). since i'm not a full-time professional, i don't need sledgehammer cameras to drag around with me everywhere i go. sure, the 1d's have a better AF system, but they're a chore to carry around. most of the time, my 1d stayed at home in favour of my lighter, daintier 5d.

i've also used the 20d and 300d cameras, the crop sensors really peev me off. i don't like them and i hate how, for example, my 35L becomes a 56L- that's just insane. simply put: the L lenses were designed for full-frame, so i'd rather use them on full frame and unlock their true potential.

if this camera only had a better 1d-like AF system, i think it would be the best camera in the world. until that happens- if that happens- this camera will stay in my arsenal and i will buy no other body.

Apr 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add simonella_viru to your Buddy List
dgenx24

Registered: Jan 29, 2008
Review Date: Apr 11, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: like others say
Cons:
lcd not accurate

i thank canon for making full frame affordable.
i thank canon more for making ff small..
it's so wonderful to carry around a half weight ff camera..
and you can just slap on the grip to use with heavier lenses..
only thing that I dislike about this camera is the LCD..
it's not really accurate...

Apr 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dgenx24 to your Buddy List
dgenx24

Registered: Jan 29, 2008
Review Date: Apr 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: same as others listed
Cons:
dust in viewfinder, lcd not accurate at all.

I had this camera for about a year..
I just thank Canon for making full frame affordable..
Forget weather sealing, this is not $5000 camera..

I just love having full frame in half the weight!!!
and just snap on the grip when using with heavier lens!!

Apr 11, 2008
neridah

Registered: Jul 16, 2006
Review Date: Apr 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Easy navigation-User friendly-FF-Image Quality/IQ...Professional world class tool at a very down to earth price. Quite simply an outstanding camera and a privilege to shoot with.
Cons:
No Weather sealing - Sensor requires regular cleaning due to the well documented dust issues.

I also own and shoot with a 1D Mark III however i find myself reaching for my beloved 5D more regularly as to put it simply
"I trust it"
Outstanding camera that simply works what you see usually dictates what you will get the adjustments and effects are only limited by your input and imagination...!

Apr 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add neridah to your Buddy List
jlkeck

Registered: Mar 15, 2008
Review Date: Mar 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: FF, low noise high ISO performance,
Cons:

I can actually use my lens as they were designed, 24mm is wide again. IQ is excellent, Build quality is very good.

While I know there are 3rd party split ring focusing screens available it would be nice if Canon would make one available for the 5D. I'm a purist at heart and prefer MF & Manual Exposure over auto anything.

Mar 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jlkeck to your Buddy List
undrpsi

Registered: Mar 10, 2008
Review Date: Mar 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: *Full Frame - No lens conversion * 12 megapixel * Size * Viewfinder brightness * Color capture is unbelievable
Cons:
Price * No EF-S support * No onboard flash (pro and con) * Doesn't like cheap glass *

Purchased my 5D last week. I have previously used several dSLR's and P&S's. I would say I am an un-talented prosumer. I have a XTi and as soon as the 5D came in I took several pics from both. The 5D is heads and shoulders better than the XTi. I even tried my using the 50mm 1.8 II "nifty fifty" on both just to compare (realizing the XTi has a 1.6x crop). I easily picked out the 5d pictures, they were THAT much better. I even used the "L" lens on both, again no debate. I have read several discussion on 'why' this is (sensor size vs FF sensor), all I have to say is it is a VERY noticeable difference.
Price was high (for me) since it's just a hobby. I have a Canon D2000 (Kodak 520c), so I knew I did not want a monster that size, the 5D is 'just right' in size. The weight is 'ok' but feels 3x heavier than the XTi with similar lens. Build is excellent. My XTi has been on overseas trips, submarine tours, hiking in the smokies (garbage bag rain cover Smile, and I think the 5D is built better than it, atleast it feels like it. Finding the right holster carrier is a pain (I have 3 and none fit). Canon doesn't make a fitted case (I know..I know..newbie purchase but they hold up REALLY well).
All in all, I am very happy with my purchase. For $2600 I got the 5D and the 24-105 f4 "L" lens...which means it will only cost $1300 next week...my luck Smile

Mar 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add undrpsi to your Buddy List
stephenmak

Registered: Feb 16, 2003
Review Date: Mar 2, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Low ISO Performance Full Frame Bright Viewfinder Ease of Use
Cons:
Not much I didn't already know before I got it

I have been using a 10D for the past three years, and recently a 5D for the past few months. The low ISO performance is amazing, and using the 5D is like going back to using a true SLR -- no dim viewing through a small viewfinder like my 10D. In terms of image quality out of the box, the 10D has more pop, but that's more likely a result of my calibration of the camera, and I've been using the 5D in standard.

However, you can't beat the camera for it's ability to make wide angle lenses wide, and the low ISO performance is incredible.

I don't see how it gets much better.

Mar 2, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add stephenmak to your Buddy List
Nezza

Registered: Nov 24, 2005
Review Date: Feb 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality, Handling, Light weight.
Cons:
Dust, Mirror lockup is hidden in Custom Function menu.

I've had the 5D for over a year now and it produces beautiful, noise free images. In that time I have dropped it twice (Once onto a hard floor) and lent it to someone who tried to put an EF-S lens on it bashing the mirror out on it. It survived all of this and a soaking in a waterfall so the camera is pretty tough. The Image quality is outstanding, especially at high ISO settings. I love it to bits and would buy another tomorrow if I do manage to break it.

Feb 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nezza to your Buddy List
James pf Chow

Registered: Jan 19, 2007
Review Date: Feb 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent IQ, AF accuracy with additional 6 Assist Points, high ISO & low-light performance, smallest & lightest full-frame sensor camera, right body weight, bright LCD, excellent for landscape, great DOF, 12.8 Megapixel, well built and ease of use. Great value!
Cons:
None except a little flimsy card compartment cover.

It's hard to comment anything not already said about this excellent EOS-5D. At its current price point, it is one of the best value at any price point in digital photography regardless of brands.

This camera never stops to impress me with it's performance on IQ especially during low-light shooting condition. It has excellent high ISO performance which is unbelievable and it even excels at ISO1600 with excellent DOF.

A full frame sensor makes a world of difference in digital photography, and there are only a few dSLR brands currently offering similar sensor. One has to try it out yourself to really believe in it - by seeing the actual pictures even thru the LCD. There are many forums commenting that the differences are minimum but one wonders some of the reviewer had actually touched a 5D body before or just reading it from another report.

For some, the camera does not have all the latest the bells & whistles of more modern generation of DSLRs including EOS-40D. But, the newest bells and whistles such as Live View, Auto Sensor Cleaner, .... etc are nice to have but not a must as IQ is most important to serious photographers.

Highly recommended to anyone who cares about IQ and love high performer in low light shooting condition.

Feb 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add James pf Chow to your Buddy List
Aaron Fuchs

Registered: Jan 12, 2008
Review Date: Jan 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, FF
Cons:
weather sealing

I love this camera, it does everything I want...
...except printing money$

Jan 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Aaron Fuchs to your Buddy List
TysonRobichaud

Registered: Dec 10, 2007
Review Date: Jan 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: FF, High ISO performance, IQ, Size
Cons:
nothing negative so much as could potentially be better.

Funny that this camera being "antiquated" or "archaic" by some reports, is still completely uncontested at it's price point. The performance at higher ISO's due to its FF and realistic MP count is a beautiful combination. I have heard it compared to Nikon's D3 (which seems to be a stellar performer as well) as its closest competitor out of brand. Being that the D3 is 'brand new technology' it can only be a compliment to the foresight on Canon's part. I would still rather purchase two 5D's for the price (and access to the extensive EF Lens lineup). I would like to see a more weather resistant body, but I have not had any problems as of yet regarding weather (and I live in the northwest US) so humidity and moisture are a daily reality. Dust is a reality for ANY SLR and again, I have yet to come across any problems with my 5D in this regard and I constantly change lenses. Nothing a blower cant handle. The only other criticism that I could offer is the apparent flimsiness of the battery and CF doors. They could stand to be a bit more 'bullet proof' but again, has yet to be a problem for me. True focal length, beautiful image quality and when coupled with a fast lens and high ISO, you can shoot in practical darkness with less noise than I have seen on any other camera consistently. There are cameras that are faster, cameras with higher MP counts, cameras that may be better for certain applications and there will inevitably be cameras in the future that will out perform the 5D in many ways, but for the realistic price for performance, I cannot see a better camera on the market past or present. It truly is in a class of its own.

Jan 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TysonRobichaud to your Buddy List
Dan No

Registered: Jan 5, 2008
Review Date: Jan 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small size, professional quality; good quality at ISO 800 and above; good battery life; full frame is as useful as expected
Cons:
Build quality not up to what it should be, given the price; painfully slow shooting speed at 3 fps

As a relatively beginning photographer, I got this camera on a pretty good deal. I could've survived with a 30D, but I have a tendency to shoot everything tight, so the full frame has saved me in a lot of situations. Coming from a Nikon D200, it still amazes me how much greater the image quality and light sensitivity is in the 5D. However, I was really disappointed, coming from the D200, how the 5D feels cheaply built in comparison. The hinges on the battery and card covers feel like it could snap off too easily.

I can't say I've had problems with it being a dust magnet. I've been pretty lackadaisical when changing lens and haven't noticed problems yet. I did get some light rain on this during a heavy storm yesterday and haven't had problems with it, or the L lens that I use.

Jan 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dan No to your Buddy List
Andre Goli

Registered: Feb 20, 2007
Review Date: Jan 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: DOF, Viewfinder, FF, Colors, sharpness, 13 Mp, robust, iso at 1600
Cons:
None for now

Coming from the 20D, which I liked a lot, the 5D, six months ago, was a real big step ahead... I have always felt squizzed in the crop thing, and working now with the FF seems like getting a house bigger... DOF is better than in the 20D, and I presume in all the crops camera as well, and my L lenses are definitvely used in their real size format... Especially the 85 1.2L which was too short in my 20D is definitively almost my walkaround lens for my 5D. And the combinaison of both is awesome...
No mention the 70-200 2.8L which is now incredible for portrait as well... and the 28-70mm 2.8L is a winner now...
Iso 1600 is very correct, although I prefer to stay a 800 in general... And why getting 6400, when your best pix need lights anyway....
Some people seems to bitch the camera for dust magnet.. It is not more than my old 20D, and because I getting used with the sensor schwab thing, it is not as disturbing as cleaning your lenses every three months... Take just a couple of minutes, where is the big deal... Anf if you get dust in your pix at small aperture, PP is there anyway... I am not sure I will trust the new dust cleaning system. I think it decrease the life of your battery, add another potential mecanical trouble and doesn't avoid oily dust anyway.... Simple is always beautiful....
Because I am completly satisfy with the 5D, I will definitively wait for real improvement before to go ahead with its successor... Because dust cleaning, 3 inches screen, more water protection (never had a single problem with it) and even 16mp (13mp is great enough, see the new Nikon D3) will not decide me to change it. So I am really curious about what Canon is giving us soon...

Jan 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Andre Goli to your Buddy List
Andre Laubner

Registered: Sep 2, 2007
Review Date: Jan 2, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,998.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: high ISO Performance Film like look Price AF very fast and accurate big buffer Full-frame!
Cons:
ISO not displayed constantly in viewfinder ISO button should be to the far right for easier access Focus Points too centered Useless direct print button Only one "C" memory on dial CF Card door feels fragile, flimsy

Moved up to the 5D from a 300D, so this was really a big difference. I am most impressed by the very accurate AF even in low light. Picture quality is superb and I really have to get used to the fact, that there is something above ISO 200 :-) Even ISO 1600 looks still fantastic with a lot of detail.
One thing is strange, even though the 300D is plastic, somehow the ergonomics of the grip are better. Not the material, just the form/mold, at least for my hand. With battery grip it is better for sure and also adds some weight to balance heavy lenses.

Jan 2, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Andre Laubner to your Buddy List
Lorenz Traxl

Registered: Dec 6, 2007
Review Date: Dec 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Full Frame-and most impotant because of that:The lenses behave like you have learned it in the days of film,not only the FOV but also the DOF and drawing of images.Build Quality,Large and bright viewfinder,shutter sound,size weight and handling
Cons:
Environmental sealing

I have waited for a long time before switching to digital.There were too many disadvantages,at least for me.The most important thing was that I wanted to use lenses exactly as I have learned to do in the area of film.When I see a scene that I think is worth of being captured, I know (most of the time) wich focal length I need to get it.And there are far more things that are worth of beeing captured then I thougt there are.
I donīt have unlimited funds and when I went to my camera dealer the last time to get the pictures I made during a climbing holiday in France I really got shocked.150€ for 4 b/w films pushed to 1600 and positives in 10x15cm.The slide films not included.That was too much and I decided to switch to digital.Of course you will have to print digital photos as well but not every single one of them.You can watch them on your computer-screen and the best will be printed.

I used a Leica M6 and 4 really good lenses.It was really hard to ditch them to get the funds for the Canon stuff but it was worth it.

One thing some people complain about is the build quality of the 5D,and I cannot agree with them.In your hands,the camera feels great.Of course you will have to be carefull and better not drop it or bump it really hard,but this goes for every camera out there especially if they cost as much as the 5D.The only thing that I donīt like is that it isnīt weather sealed.I shoot landscapes most of the time and it is a little bit frustrating that I can not take the camera out of the bag with confidence when it is raining.There are some really good shots waiting out there when the weather is bad.But there are ways to get the picture even under this circumstances.

The image quality is amazing.It stuns me every time when I look at the screen and even more so when watching prints up to 60x100cm.
The ISO Performance is really great.I can use 1600 without fearing that the images will turn out noisy.Most of my available light shots are done in b/w anyway and they are looking gorgeous with this camera.(I need a 35mm prime for that,but the 35mm L is reeeaaaly expensive. Smile Perhaps I will buy the 35mm f2 and see how frequently I use it)
The MLU is also a little bit of a pain in the ... but you can make the settings you need and save them on the C Position of the Mode Dial.Works good enough for me and I knew this would be necessary.

The size of the camera is very good,and for those with really big hands there is the additional hand grip.With the 50mm 1.4 it is a really good walk around combination and the 24-105 is also great in this regard.I donīt want to take a brick-like 1D everywhere.It is really unconspicous and looks like a SLR from the days of film.(But the Leica didnīt get any attention at all,I sometimes miss that.)

The dust issue is a little problem as well,but as for the other disadvantages of the 5D,or digital SLRs in general,I knew that,and I can live with it.I use Lightroom for preparing my photos for printing and it has got the repair-tool wich works great and with very little effort.And the sensor cleaning isnīt as troublesome as many people may think.

So the bottomline is:I am looking forward to every possiblility to take pictures with this camera,and there are many.There are things that could be better but we can hope for a future SLR from canon to get there.(Many people think there will be a 5D MkII,I am hoping for a 3D,weather sealed 16,7 Megapixel full-format sensor but the same size as the 5D and some improvements in the Menu-structure and please get rid of the direct print button and make it a dedicated MLU button.Ah,and sensor cleaning.Live view is not very important for me but pack it in,wonīt hurt anyone.And a 100% viewfinder.Should be possible but thats to much to dream of.Nobody would buy a 1D/s any more,but some of these improvements could make it and then I am in)

So if you need a full frame Digital SLR,get the 5D.The price is reasonable now and it wonīt crash with the successor because it will be priced accordingly.

I hope that my english is not too bad,and now get out and take pictures,thats what photography is all about.

Cheers,Lorenz

Dec 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Lorenz Traxl to your Buddy List
Chrono1081

Registered: Aug 20, 2006
Posts: 1932
Review Date: Dec 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: EVERYTHING! Image Quality, Battery Life, Durability, Full frame!
Cons:

Ive owned this camera for a year and a half now and its simply amazing. The image quality is fantastic, the noise is extremely low, and if you get this you MUST use L lenses. Otherwise you are severely hampering your picture quality.

Ive seen alot of reviews saying "this is a dust magnet blah blah" im sorry. Its all in the photographer and how he/she changes lenses. It was not till just recently I got my first piece of dust on the sensor that I was able to notice and I change lenses constantly and shoot constantly. (Same with every other camera I own, its rare if I get dust and I shoot in a desert!) So if you see "Camera attracts dust" sorry, not true. (Turn your camera off, hold it face down, change your lens while holding it face down, power back on.)

The battery life is amazing. I have a battery grip and Ive shot 12 hours straight and still had battery life. How much battery life? Not sure it never ran out on me.

The LCD screen is nice and large which is helpful for reviewing pictures. The LCD is a little off as alot of times I think I over exposed a pic by 1/3 stop or so only to get it on my computer and see that its fine. (Not a big gripe because small LCD screens are like that in any item you own, just be careful not to delete your pics till you see them on your computer first.

All I gotta say is I love this camera, and I cant wait to see what the next generation brings. PErfect camera for any type of invent.

Dec 5, 2007