223 279594 Nov 30, 2013
5d_586x225_2_

The new Canon EOS 5D offers advanced photographers a lightweight, robust digital SLR that uses Canon's superlative EF lenses without a conversion factor. Its full-frame 12.8 Megapixel CMOS sensor combines with Canon's DIGIC II Image Processor, a high-precision 9-point AF system with 6 assist points, and "Picture Style" color control to deliver images of superior quality with enough resolution for any application. With its wide-angle capabilities, 2.5 inch LCD and magnesium-alloy body, the 5D is the perfect addition to the Digital EOS line.

World's smallest and lightest full-frame digital SLR* with a 12.8 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and superb image quality.
DIGIC II Image Processor for outstanding image quality and performance - 3.0 fps for up to 60 consecutive JPEG or 17 RAW frames in a burst.
New larger 2.5 inch LCD screen can be viewed even at extreme angles up to 170°.
New "Picture Style" function for superior command of in-camera color, contrast and sharpness.
High-precision 9-point AF with 6 additional Supplemental points surrounding the center point for superior focus tracking.
Strong and light magnesium-alloy body with new shutter durability-tested to 100,000 exposures.
Compatible with over 50 Canon EF lenses and most EOS System accessories.

bilfoto

Registered: Mar 19, 2010
Location: Serbia & Montenegro
Review Date: Mar 19, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb IQ, fast focus, superb high ISO..........
Cons:

Everything is already said, this is a great camera. Highly recommend ....

Mar 19, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bilfoto to your Buddy List
dkmiles1

Registered: Nov 19, 2009
Review Date: Feb 13, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image Quality is just fantastic - makes my L lenses (70-200 F/4 IS) just shine!
Cons:
Dust magnet (which everyone seems to already know), clunky controls, no live view, only 3 fps

I use this camera in conjunction with my 7D. I refer to the 5D as my "Artist" while the 7D gets my "Athlete" designation.

Combined with the 70-200 f/4 L IS, the 5D is nothing short of breathtaking for outdoor beach shots - check out this shoot from last week on the beach in Southwest Florida.

It helps when the subjects are just gorgeous and the sunset is perfect and of course the fact that you're on the beach too. But just the same, you get the idea, the camera rocks!

At its very core the 5D is an artistic camera for photographers - it simply takes great pictures.

Don't hesitate to pull the trigger is your most important goal is image quality. You won't regret the decision. Great camera!

Feb 13, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dkmiles1 to your Buddy List
fabianfoo

Registered: Jul 18, 2005
Review Date: Dec 11, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Full frame 35mm sensor. Fantastic image quality.
Cons:
Crappy LCD screen. Out-dated autofocus system. Limited customisability.

Wow the Canon 5D has been around for years now and it's still going strong. Why?

Simple - pure image quality. Raw image quality out of this camera is still awesome. Sure, there's only 12 megapixels to play with, but when it's this good and off a full-frame sensor, 12 megapixels is plenty.

Yes, other Canons have leapfrogged it in terms of other features such as autofocus, LCD screen, menu usability, custom functions etc etc but if that is not as important to you as image quality, then this camera is a bargain.

Every photo in the following collection was shot with a 5D. The wide shots with a Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4 and the telephoto shots with the Canon 70-200 f4 IS USM.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabian-f/collections/72157605174362401/">Flickr: North India.</a>

Dec 11, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fabianfoo to your Buddy List
Haring

Registered: Sep 11, 2009
Review Date: Sep 11, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: full frame, creamy colors
Cons:

I use my canon 5D with my 35mmL, 85mmL, 17 40mmL and 24-70mmL The output is just fabulous!!!!!
Go the www.haringphotography.com if you want to see samples.
The best camera.

Sep 11, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Haring to your Buddy List
toma7

Registered: Jan 31, 2007
Location: Austria
Review Date: Mar 14, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Full frame, Image quality, bright viewfinder, high ISO capability
Cons:
lack of weather sealing, AF could be better

I moved up from a Canon 20D, I won't look back. The 5D produces an awesome bokeh with L lenses, especially L primes really shine on this camera. Dust can be a headache, I wished it had more AF points.

5D + 24-105/4L www.pbase.com/toma7/image/109359140
5D + 70-200/4L www.pbase.com/toma7/image/106520414
5D + 85/1.2L www.pbase.com/toma7/image/95533143

Mar 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add toma7 to your Buddy List
phyrpowr

Registered: Aug 31, 2005
Review Date: Mar 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Stunning IQ
Cons:
None for my use

Got the camera and an Adorama CF tripod at the same time, and went to my favorite test site (a white water tower, with black framework) mainly to check out the tripod. Used my 24-105L

Shot raw, got home, just idly hit 100% view for the first shot and was astounded. Total clarity on one inch bolts and wires at over 100 yards. Only wish my 10-22 fit it

Mar 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add phyrpowr to your Buddy List
AaronNegro

Registered: Apr 7, 2008
Review Date: Mar 9, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: DOF control way better than with the Crop bodies. Better colors, ISO with very low noise results, weak Anti Aliasing filter. B&W is more accurate than 40D. Sharp pictures out of camera. Center AF is more responsive than 40D
Cons:
Screen and weak AF with outer points.

I just got this camera and I can say good things about my short experience.

1-The AF is not bad at all, the center AF is more responsive than the center one of my 40D.

2-Antialiasing is weaker and pictures seem to be sharper out of camera even in RAW.

3-ISO performance is great. from VERY clean ISO100 to clean ISO400 to a very good ISO1600 and a Usable ISO3200.

4-B&W balance is way more accurate than the one of the 40D

5-You will not believe that but I get a way more detail with this camera on all my lens and I feel it is less demanding than the 40D and its photosite crowded sensor.

6- I sensed better control over highlights and a little difference on exposure. I nail exposure nearly all the time with this one.

7-My Sigma 70-200 2.8 front focuses with the 40D while it nails focus with the 5D.

8-I miss the AF-ON button, the ISO info on the viewfinder, the custom modes, popup flash, dust cleaner, live view and the UI layout of my 40D.

9- Viewfinder is brighter and bigger than the ones I'm used.

10-AI servo is a tad better than with XXD series.

All this said, I guess I can say I love this camera for the pictures it takes and by how it opened my eyes for a new FF point of view. But I miss some features I got used to have with my 40D.

9-The screen is BAD

Mar 9, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AaronNegro to your Buddy List
BKKWoof

Registered: Feb 14, 2009
Review Date: Feb 14, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ is great for 3yr old technology
Cons:
a bit weighty for a petite person like me

I bought this a year ago February knowing that the 5DMkII was coming soon, but at the same time I knew the MkII was going to be waaaayyy out of my budget. I couldn't be happier. Got it in time for several trips this past year. This is my first DSLR coming from the EOS ELAN/100 film and Canon A95. Recently pushed the ISO to 3200 for hand held night photography while out about with friends in Bangkok - came out really well, better than I and my Nikon friend expected.

This may be 3 yr old technology, but if you're looking for full frame at a reasonable price, especially now if you can find mint 2nd hand one, go for it. It is worth it. I waited 3 years for the price to drop. On the price/value proposition, I agree with everyone earlier, this is now a really excellent deal if you don't need/want all the bells/whistles of the MkII or if price is an issue.

It is solid feel in hand. My Dad bought the 400D (Rebel)...I did not like the feel of that at all, but he wanted light weight. Yes, the 5D is weighty especially after a full day of walking with my 28-70L (weighty lens itself being an older lens) and a rented 70-200L f/4 on a recent trip.

I'm having a ball pairing the 5D with my 100mm macro, shooting away at flowers, leaves and bugs. :-)

Feb 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add BKKWoof to your Buddy List
Saint Sigma

Registered: Jun 17, 2008
Review Date: Feb 14, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ, IQ, IQ, that files just jump out of the screen and have a really 3d Look. Full frame, Viewfinder, build quality.
Cons:
AF is 3 years old, in fact drop the pretense, the camera is 3 years old and so is it's feature set. has a 1/160 x-Sync limit when using PT-04 triggers, dunno bout pocket wizards.

I'd give the camera a 10 if it had better AF, but what can we expect? it's 3 years old.

Build quality is fine, but the fact that there is some play on the grip-body junction drops it to an 8.

Buy let's forget about the camera and talk about the important aspect: IQ.

Being relatively new to the art of Photography, I cannot quite compare this camera's IQ to previous 1D series cameras or Nikon's equivalents. But from where I stand and that is coming from 400Ds and 350Ds, this camera is the end-all for my IQ needs.

I have to say for a 3 year old camera the ISO 3200 performance astounds me. I mean at these ISO levels, I would expect a 3 year old camera to blow out highlights and have REALLY noisy shadows, but not this little beast. The colors are something that just can't be beat, and for the price I got it it's a steal.

AF leaves me wanting though, and the 1D mk III will be added to my arsenal soon. But that is really the only REAL downside I see to this body, I wouldn't mind the 3 year old feature set if the AF were better, makes me really envious of those nikon fellows and their d700s. But the glass I already have invested in the Canon system is tying me down.

Here's to hoping that Canon will come to their senses and make something similar to the d700: a small form-factor body with some (if not all) the professional features of the 1D-series cams.

A man can hope right?

Feb 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Saint Sigma to your Buddy List
ajnspencer

Registered: Jan 26, 2009
Review Date: Jan 26, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: FF image quality, excellent ISO performance, solidity.
Cons:
Dust an issue in unexpected places, shows off lens limitaitons.

I bought this in a kit with the 24-105mm IS USM and have been blown away for months by it's quality.

The image quality is superb, the build is solid (especially with the battery grip) and I find it incredibly intuitive to control.

The only issue I've come across that's really the 5Ds fault is dust, but not where you'd expect it. I fully understand sensor dust is just something to live with on an SLR, especially with the size of this FF sensor, but I've also ended up with spots in the viewfinder, trapped around the focusing screen area and perhaps deeper.

It's not a big prob, I barely notice the spots now but occasionally my camera OCD does kick in... Looking around forums this looks like it might be a regular glitch and is what's dropped it's build quality down to a 9 for me.

The only other issue to be aware of is that lesser quality lenses will certainly be shown up on this, but that should perhaps be a plus rather than a negative...

Put it this way, the 24-105 was my first L lens, I now have three and now would only look non-L for a prime...

Basically this is a stunning camera, I'm not even pining too much for a Mark II and if you're on a budget but want a solid workhorse with superb IQ, you can't go wrong with this.

Jan 26, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ajnspencer to your Buddy List
sehdata

Registered: Apr 22, 2007
Review Date: Jan 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, Build, handling
Cons:
LCD to small, dustproblem

I prefer this Camera to my professionel shootings, because it' produces a stunning IQ every time. Can even wait ti get the new generation with the new features, but despite the tree years in production, this Camera still kick ass. Outthere som buddyes will get really happy because of the faling price on this product. :-)

Jan 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sehdata to your Buddy List
king76

Registered: Dec 6, 2008
Review Date: Dec 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, feel, FF, high ISO capability
Cons:
Dust

I used a 350D, 40D and 5D. I bought the 40D as a backup, but I hope I only really need it when the light is good, because beyond 400ISO, I just can't really use it. The 5D is usable up till 1600ISO. Not much to add to other reviews. This is and will be for a long time, the only camera I need to do my work.

Dec 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add king76 to your Buddy List
mauriceramirez

Registered: Jul 16, 2004
Review Date: Nov 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Easy to use. Not a lot of extraneous features. Beautiful files when everything works as planned. Perfect file sizes for professional wedding and portrait niche. The wedding industry standard. Noise is good looking at all available ISO's.
Cons:
Poor AF in low-light, especially with off-center (uh, rule of thirds) focus points. Random focus sometimes, even in great light. Mushy feel in the body, lots of flex points. Rlatively low build quality and certainly with regards to handling and ergonomics. Features take a back seat to usability.

I like the look of the files much more than I did the 1d2 and even the 1ds2. The files are a better match to the available Canon zooms. The 1ds3 tears the 24-70L to bits, while the 5d seems like the perfect body for it. Its a great traveler/hobbyist/semi-pro camera, being smaller and lighter then the 1-series, but to Canon that seems to mean, "let's cripple it in every other way so that they'll always want more". In available light situations, especially at night indoors, I had to always have an ST-E2 attached because it basically can't be relied on for critical focus on moving subjects. I've had the 1d2, 1d3, 1ds2, 1ds3, and the 5D was the best camera overall, with the 1d2 being a close second. Everything else was just not worth the upgrade. I suspect the 5d2 would have been the same (basically, totally not worth it), but I've since switched to the Nikon D700 and lenses and am much happier, in every conceivable way, without reservation, with my current gear.

Nov 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mauriceramirez to your Buddy List
Frank Anderson

Registered: Oct 1, 2006
Review Date: Nov 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality, full frame, DR, 2nd hand prices now!
Cons:
None since using it. Already knew about any ‘negatives’ such as dust, speed, etc, none of which has effected the images it produces for me

With everyone trading in this camera for the new 5D II, bargains can be picked up now. I picked up mine for £800 second hand but in perfect condition. I wanted it for landscapes mainly, to complement my 30D and it has made a definite difference to me.

My 17-40mm lens is what it should be, full frame viewfinder is so much nicer (forgot what it was like), dynamic range seems better, image detail certainly is.

This camera has made me slow down my photography and think about what I am doing, getting the exposure right, composure, lighting, etc. It’s given me a renewed interest in my photography.

If you’re looking for a bargain and interested in the art of photography, then this is a great camera.

Nov 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Frank Anderson to your Buddy List
PghKidd

Registered: Jul 2, 2004
Review Date: Nov 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight, construction, low light performance, oh, and full frame!
Cons:
The two that come to mind is the same as what everyone else says....slow fps and no weather sealing

When I purchased the camera, I was replacing a 1D mkII. I only had the 1d as a walk around camera..basically my only slr. After valve replacement surgery on my heart, I decided the 1d was just too heavy a camera to carry all day at Disney. Decided on the 5D even though it has slow fps and I would have to be more careful about taking the camera outside if it were raining. I know it is not just me, but I really missed the satisfying sound of the shutter on the 1D mkII. Sure, the 5D was taking nice pictures right out of the camera, but so did the 1D mkII. I started comparing photos from both of them, and I was really liking the pictures out of the 5D better than my beloved 1D mkII. Then, it hit me like a ton of bricks halloween night. I was taking pictures of my kids at dusk with no flash and in almost total darkness with a flash. The low light performance of the 5D was amazing. I have never had a camera do any better than the 5D in low light.

So, what to do for sports or bad weather days? I went out and got a 1D, and now I have the best of all worlds. I swear the 1D is actually a better camera for fast focus, skin tone, etc., than my 1D mkII. And now, I have my weather sealing, 8 fps and the satisfying sound of the 1D shutter.

With the prices going down on both the 1D mkII and the 5D, give a long look at the 5D. I think you will find the pluses will add up to more than the 1D mkII, unless you are looking for a work out while you are taking your pictures.

Nov 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PghKidd to your Buddy List
avuroski

Registered: Nov 3, 2005
Review Date: Nov 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ
Cons:

Stepped up from a 40D to this and WOW! Huge difference in low light and in color overall. More detail, more color. All the bells and whistles of the 40D / 50D (live view, blah blah blah) I was frankly happy to be rid of. I learned how to use all of that stuff, but then as soon as it was gone, I didn't miss any of it. Sure sign of a marketing gimmick. The only thing I would consider replacing this with is the 5D mk2 in a few years... Wink

Nov 13, 2008