223 277553 Nov 30, 2013
5d_586x225_2_

The new Canon EOS 5D offers advanced photographers a lightweight, robust digital SLR that uses Canon's superlative EF lenses without a conversion factor. Its full-frame 12.8 Megapixel CMOS sensor combines with Canon's DIGIC II Image Processor, a high-precision 9-point AF system with 6 assist points, and "Picture Style" color control to deliver images of superior quality with enough resolution for any application. With its wide-angle capabilities, 2.5 inch LCD and magnesium-alloy body, the 5D is the perfect addition to the Digital EOS line.

World's smallest and lightest full-frame digital SLR* with a 12.8 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and superb image quality.
DIGIC II Image Processor for outstanding image quality and performance - 3.0 fps for up to 60 consecutive JPEG or 17 RAW frames in a burst.
New larger 2.5 inch LCD screen can be viewed even at extreme angles up to 170°.
New "Picture Style" function for superior command of in-camera color, contrast and sharpness.
High-precision 9-point AF with 6 additional Supplemental points surrounding the center point for superior focus tracking.
Strong and light magnesium-alloy body with new shutter durability-tested to 100,000 exposures.
Compatible with over 50 Canon EF lenses and most EOS System accessories.

Page:  10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14

ChrisHartt

Registered: Oct 16, 2005
Review Date: Oct 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,295.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Full frame Sensor
Cons:
Build - durability

Comparing this camera to my 1DMkII is a little disappointing. While the full frame sensor at this price is appealing, the overall build and feel of this camera is clearly high end consumer as opposed to professional quality. It's a great upgrade from the 10D or 20D, but for about $500 more, opt for the 1DMkIIN and use Genuine Fractals for the times you need a larger image. At the very least, wait until next Fall (2006) when Canon will likely release the new improved 5D.

Oct 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ChrisHartt to your Buddy List
Sumosan

Registered: Sep 25, 2005
Review Date: Oct 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent rendition of detail, wide angles are wide again, good dynamic range, handling, build quality, bright viewfinder, large LCD monitor.
Cons:
Sensor attracts a lot of dust, LCD monitor not bright enough, less positive action to shutter than 10D. Need to invest in larger CF cards!

Moving from a 10D I was pleased by the build quality, almost as good, and astounded by the beautiful images produced. Excellent dynamic range, much better than the 10D and rendition of detail is amazing, although you need good glass. Really enjoyable to use, although the shutter action is a little less positive than the 10D but I soon got used to it. Viewfinder is nice and bright and autofocus works well. Speed of operation, particularly start-up, is very nice coming from the 10D. The sensor seems to attract more dirt than the 10D and you only get 59 images on a 1gb CF card. Overall, an excellent camera, a joy to use and just what a landscaper like me requires.

By the way, the RAW files can be processed with ACR3.2 although it seems a bit buggy - previews and EXIF data are not always displayed in Bridge.

Oct 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Sumosan to your Buddy List
jlgo

Registered: Jun 9, 2005
Review Date: Oct 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Handling, Viewfinder, LCD, Full Frame, Nice Grip, Shutter Sound
Cons:
are there any?

We've all heard the usual accolades, so all I will to rave about
is the dynamic range of this camera. Coming from the 20D, this
camera astounds me with it's ability to capture so much more detail in both highlights and shadows at once. The vast improvement of detail in my prints, even at 4x6, is exhilarating. It feels good to feel this good about photography again!

Oct 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jlgo to your Buddy List
dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Oct 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small body size for full frame, excellent image quality, wonderful big LCD, fast in use, nice big viewfinder, ISO in V/F when changing, good focusing, quietish shutter. A true state-of-the-art dslr
Cons:
Expensive for what is a 20D on steroids (over twice the price!)- but a ground breaking camera nonetheless. Still has cheapish CF door, awkward terminal/pc covers. Silly mirror lock up. Dreadful Canon software as usual

A 20D shape but about 15% bigger, I didn't even need to open the manual to know how every feature works. It still has the annoying need to delve into custom functions to lock the mirror up, but at least that can be saved in the custom mode, along with ISO and most other settings.

Everything where it needs to be, lenses are back at their correct focal lengths, focusing is good and fast if not quite 1 series standards. Wonderful image quality. Fantastic new LCD screen is just so much better.

Canon really have raised the bar recently, I now have 3 of their current models and they all give excellent quality, good reliability, fabulous battery life.

A bit pricey but it is still a new item. Go on, go mad buy one

Oct 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List
cariad

Registered: Mar 30, 2004
Review Date: Oct 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I love this camera, it is the best yet. Everything Canon said it would be.
Cons:
I updated CS 2 to 3.2 and it still won't open the raw files, so I don't know how the person that posted the a review did open their files, but Adobe can't. If anybody knows something I don't know about this please let me know. But that is the only thing I am not happy with, because I have to wait to use it in Raw.

Oct 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cariad to your Buddy List
maidia

Registered: Sep 23, 2005
Review Date: Oct 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,299.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: The first Canon DSLR since the Canon AE-1. I am switching from Nikon D100 to Canon 5D few weeks ago (Still keep D100 for backup). I love Canon FF but a lot of thing and fun to learned the new camera. I don't have any Canon good L lenese yet but with the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and Canon 85mm f1.8 are good enough to serve my needs. All pictures are sharp and wide that I cannot imagine. First time post message here and sorry for my bad English.
Cons:
I have to wait for the external flash (430ex in order).

Oct 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add maidia to your Buddy List
eq977

Registered: Aug 28, 2005
Review Date: Oct 6, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Wasn't able to use the camera.
Cons:
No quality control.

5D and Canon Quality Control!

The first 5D was unable to display menu. The second camera had a big scratch on sensor filter right in the middle.
These were the only 2 cameras my dealer had, so I returned home empty handed.

It seems Canon has no QC and ships the cameras as fast as they can produce. "Ship first and fix later" approach. What a shame!

I also wonder why Canon can't hire somebody who can write or at least edit their Japanese-English translation?

I'm just pondering if it is worth paying that much for what really is an electronic Polaroid.

Oct 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add eq977 to your Buddy List
newsspy

Registered: Oct 2, 2005
Review Date: Oct 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Terrific value for outstanding image quality - decent ergonomics - excellent low-light performance
Cons:
A bit uncomfortable to handle with heavy glass (smallish grip) -- lotta sensor dust accumulation

This is the first Canon camera I've used since my EOS-1n days BND1 (before Nikon D-1). I'm switching from Nikon D2xs and the low-light performance of the 5D is just spectacular.

The files are color rich and razor sharp. The dynamic range has surpassed my expectations. I've been tinkering with the new 24-105L (so, so crisp), the 24/1.4, the 17-40L, and a 70-200. So far, really good.

The 5D gets a bit uncomfortable to hold with heavy glass because the grip is half-sized. However, I really like the smaller profile of the camera (compared to the D2x) so I think this is something I'll have to get used to.

It's really an unmatched walking-around camera with the 24-105.

Oct 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add newsspy to your Buddy List
JanZ

Registered: Oct 5, 2005
Review Date: Oct 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic camera for fraction of price........!!!
Cons:
Environmental seal will help.....

I have not much too say since I am pro photographer and I know what I am looking for in sense of justifying investment toward payment from my job, other then that, this camera rocks (!) it is cheep price-wise compare to others in what it is and what it delivers.... great quality images !

Oct 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JanZ to your Buddy List
cmalana

Registered: Apr 10, 2005
Review Date: Oct 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,295.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Full-frame, versatile size (compact but can add a grip), low noise at high ISO, 13 megapixels (for my 20x30 and larger prints), big/bright viewfinder, big LCD screen
Cons:
Probably a 1-off problem but my first 5D had a problem triggering flash

When the Canon 5D was announced, I thought this camera would be the tool of choice for portrait and event/wedding type work where one wouldn't need the extra reach/resolution provided by a 1.6 crop camera. The compact form factor (compared to 1 series) was also a big plus, since this camera would make a great landscape/vacation platform also.

First impressions:

1.) This camera pretty much feels like a slightly bulkier 20D. Layout is very similar. You won't get lost switching between the 2 cameras. In fact, I see this ideal setup for event coverage: 24-70 (or 24-105) on the 5D which takes care of wide angle to normal (yes, 24 is a wide angle on a full frame), and 70-200 (or even a fast prime like an 85 or 135) on a 20D for isolation shots.

2.) LCD is HUGE. I'll take side by side pics and post but the 5D screen is twice the size of the 20D screen. Same pixel count though so when zoomed in, it looks softer.

3.) FF will take some getting used to again. That viewfinder is not only bright, it's very large. I'll have to be training my eye to scan a lot more in the frame. There's a lot more real estate to cover. I first tried a 24-70 lens on it and you can stand a few feet from someone and get a full body shot. This will be great if shooting in smaller spaces or if you don't have a huge studio.

4.) Shutter is soft. Doesn't have that crack to it like the 20D does. I guesss it'll be nice if you want to stay quiet...but not a big deal for me. It's still audible (and I like it that way).

5.) Setting ISO at 1/3 stops is nice. A lot more flexibility, especially when you're looking for a certain shutter speed and don't really need to go higher and add more noise. Also, being able to see the ISO in the viewfinder is great!

6.) I took some test shots at ISO3200 and it's definitely usable. Besides the fact that there is less noise than my 20D, I think the fact that it has a lot of pixels makes the noise less apparent. ISO3200 is definitely usable. Can't wait to try some ISO3200, f1.8 or larger aperture type shots in low light. It'll be interesting for concert shooting (especially if you have the right lens).

7.)ACR 3.2 and CS2 work on the RAW files. One thing I immediately noticed is that it takes a lot more USM to get something sharpened.

and finally...These cameras are computers so be prepared for computer-like problems. I am actually on my 2nd 5D. The first one worked great EXCEPT for when I tried using a flash with it. It fired a TTL pre-flash but not real flash. Couldn't fire the flash (even as the flash was set on manual and camera tried in all modes). EXIF info shows that flash fired though...so camera thinks it's firing the flash. Must be some hot-shoe issue.

This is where I am GLAD that I bought the camera locally at Competitive Cameras in Dallas. In fact, I emailed them about the problem late last night (when I found it) and I had an email at 9am today telling me to come over and exchange it. Given that we are scheduled to shoot a wedding this Saturday, this was a relief. BTW, I think they do have some 5Ds in their inventory at this time for those interested...and no - I didn't get a discount. Just enjoyed efficient customer service.

Oct 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cmalana to your Buddy List
IraGraham

Registered: Oct 30, 2004
Review Date: Oct 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great image quality! Almost identical in sharpness to the 1DsMark II, for less then half the price. Solid camera that feels great in your hands. Large LCD. Quieter shutter than the 20D. If you know the 20D you will be able to use this camera without any new learning curve.
Cons:
The LCD is very hard to see in sunlight. Autofocus, though better then the 10D does not seem as fast as the 20D. However I am betting it is more accurate than the 20D, being fast is not usefull if it isn't accurate, that is what I hated about the 20D. This camera has another flimsy door on it like like the 20D.

I purchased this camera because of the added megapixels. The image quality is outstanding so I am very happy with the camera. For my purposes, weddings & portraits, it is the perfect camera for the price. I don't expect that I will need any more megapixels for my purposes. The images that this camera pruduces are incredibly sharp with great dynamic range. This is the first digital camera I have purchased that I feel can compete with medium format. I also like the $3300 price. Because of the price I know that every "Tom, Dick and Harry" won't be pulling this camera out at every wedding I do.

Oct 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add IraGraham to your Buddy List
mariusg

Registered: Sep 22, 2004
Review Date: Oct 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,299.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: 20x30 print at 150dpi and some change. Range of customizations, responsiveness. Full frame sensor (lenses finally "fit", less noise). Large LCD.
Cons:
Improper heat insulation for internal components (really bad noise pattern). Price. Cordless charger. Some poor positioned controls, poor "menu" system.

I took around 200 pictures in the last 2 days, overall it's a nice camera. The only lens I have that's crystal clear on this camera is Canon 50mm 1:2.5 Macro (down to paper texture for shot of a 8.5x11 page!). 17-40 F4 it's a joke for this camera but 70-200 F4 looks ok in regards to sharpness.

I was simply SHOCKED when I did the noise tests, it seems the camera has a heat bug (my camera at least, although I haven't found any noise tests on forums, maybe it's too early). A 3 minute exposure at ISO 1600, shooting with the lens cap on, reveals a small (a few milimeters) semicircular area on the top-right side of the image. A 6 minute ISO 3200 exposure in the same conditions shows serious bleeding in the same area, a bright spot about the size of a dime cut in half (in terms of LCD size). At first I thought it must be my finger or the lens, but I repeated the tests with different lenses, different exposures, suspending the camera, etc, and it produces the same result. I'm pretty sure this is caused by some heat emitting component that's placed near the sensor, and what's worse about it is that it cannot be corrected by a firmware update (recalls?). I guess one could live with it subtracting exposures (the rest of the image has almost predictable noise patterns), but still, that area is a few stops brighters than the rest of the image. My second gripe with it that the aperture control is poorly designed, you need two hands and a pretty big thumb in order to do that. In fact, most record time controls are misplaced, except the shutter of course (yes, I'm a Canon user). The menu system is more like a list of options (and the "custom functions" area has remained the same - the least usable area of all, now with a couple more options).

Another poor design choice is the battery charger - now it plugs directly into the wall outlet.

The LCD is huge, but with limited brightness settings (+/- 2)

The battery is 1390mAh, better than the original BP511 but 3rd parties have better batteries.

The image size on "disk" is 12.3 Mb for RAW (it seems the compression is the at the same level with previous CR2 and CRW).

Adope CS2 have added support (via update 3.2) for 5D images a few days ago, but Bridge does not show thumbails for RAW only images (I'm not sure if it does for RAW+JPEG, but I know it does for TIFF).

I miss the built in flash; it's usually poor on most cameras, but when you need just bit of fill flash, it's really convenient considering a decent flash takes as much space as zoom lens.

Oct 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mariusg to your Buddy List
stuartn

Registered: Jun 13, 2003
Review Date: Oct 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredible image quality, full frame viewfinder, spot metering, the ultimate FF camera for a "cheap" price.
Cons:

Having looked through the viewfinder of a full frame camera with my 24-70 lens for the first time, it REALLY brought me back to my film days. I was shocked to see jpgs look so incredibly sharp, contrasty and "snappy". I thereafter shot RAW only and was very pleasantly surprised. I love the idea of a 1DS2 in a 5D body and a $3,300.00 price. I recommend this camera to EVERYONE.

Oct 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add stuartn to your Buddy List
Arhi Esansaari

Registered: Dec 13, 2003
Review Date: Sep 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: see my review below
Cons:
see my review below

When I first inserted my 2Gb CF card into the camera and selected option for RAW+L fine, (to make sure image conversion for this review) my camera showed me total of 96 images with ISO 100, and total of 77 images with ISO 3200. Not much for a card this size. Good thing CF manufacturers bring all the time bigger cards available, as with 5D, I would not be very happy to use smaller cards.

If the image quality is lowered, it is possible to shoot contiunously until your CF card is full. This is quite nice!! I'm sorry not to have tried this myself, but the manual shows the following table. By it, if you set Fine Medium quality, you should be able to shoot contiunously 120 frames. Too bad the frame rate is only 3 frames/sec. Maybe there could be a firmware hack for this in near future

Fine L - 60 pics
Low L - 150 pics
Fine M - 120 pics
Low M - 319 pics (possible until CF card is full)
Fine S - 200 pics
Low S - 446 pics (possible until CF card is full)
RAW - 17 pics
RAW + JPG - 12 pics

Btw. RAW files takes (by manual) 12.9Mb each. My CR2 files ranged from 11.1Mb to 16.5Mb (ISO 200) !! Happy computer hardware upgrading.

Camera and it's buttons feel very nice. It's plain fun to use the camera. Altough after getting used to EOS 1 serie, this camera might feel a bit small to your hand. Never the less, if the size is just what appeals to you, this is the right camera. Program dial has a new mode "C" custom, where you can store different custom settings for different shooting situation. The most important custom setting here would be Mirror lock enable. After setting it here, just dial C and you'll have mirror lock on. Dial Av for e.g. and the camera returns to it's normal state. Nice! Too bad there's just one custom mode.

Viewfinder is nice and large. No complaining here. After getting used to 1.3X crop factor, this camera feels right as it should. Also FF makes lenses like 70-200mm act as they was intented. I myself found this zoom too long with 1.6X crop - I hated it. But now it fits on like a glove. You can choose from custom functions if you want to use default small AF areas or extented AF areas. But one will get used to small areas quite fast. IMO it's just better if the AF area is small, so it really focuses where it should.

Shutter release has a little high pitch on it, and you can feel when the mirror comes back down. Little bit more than with 1D I think, but it's not disturbing. More like a feel of real camera.

PictureStyle has 3 custom settings. Altough one can modify camera's 6 default settings to his/her liking, leaving custom settings unusable. Using PictureStyle is good if you're planning to buy a Pixma or Selphy direct printer, and shoot people on the street and earn some money from it. Or you could have your friend fitted in a clown suit and take photos & sell them for people in the park. Otherwice, I would suggest leaving these settings alone and do the job with RAW converter and Photoshop. You will have more possibilities to make different images afterwards. For e.g. if you shoot monochrome from camera, you will never have colours. But you can always convert a color picture to b&w with computer.

Other than this, the camera acts quite the same way as 10D or 20D. If you have found these cameras good for your line of work, you will not be dissapointed to 5D. If you prefer using EOS 1 serie style body (and plan to buy battery grip immediately with 5D) you might want to thing twice. Save some money, rob a bank or so, and get new 1D serie camera Canon could have done many things better, like copy the three button command style from EOS 1 and leave program dial from this camera, Have more custom programs, better histogram review options, higher frame rate, maybe also ISO 6400 enabled .. and maybe just 0.5" bigger body for those how have a big hand. But as someone said before, there's not a perfect camera. True. And the 5D does perform quite well for what it was intented to. It takes some kick ass 4368 x 2912 pixel photos!

Verdict: 4.5 / 5 stars for this camera. Highly recommended.

Sep 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Arhi Esansaari to your Buddy List
gwhitegeog

Registered: Jun 16, 2005
Review Date: Sep 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Full frame sensor, very light and compact, excellent metering, viewfinder and functionality. Superb handling and good build quality, the list goes on. Lenses used as they were intended - i.e. no crop factor. It's the camera we've all been waiting for...
Cons:
So far, just the fact the I had to upgrade to Photoshop CS2 to support the new RAW .cr2 file format

OK - I have only had the camera 2 days, as I was lucky enough to get one of the first cameras available from professional dealers. This review is based on just a few hundred shots but I thought I’d post a quick review, as fellow viewers would be interested.

Well, the camera is quite superb. Image quality is everything I expected. There is almost a complete absence of noise, even at high ISO settings. The ISO is adjustable in 1/3 stop increments which is great and the ‘L’ setting gives ISO 50 equivalent. Even ISO 3200 is incredible.

I was worried about the quality of images taken with ‘cheaper’ lenses, due to the demands of the full-frame sensor. I did some tests with some L-series lenses and cheaper zooms too. I can report the following:

1. Full aperture performance with L series lenses is very good, very little magenta fringing (e.g. 17-40L zoom @ f4.0) or diffraction. No sign of vignetting with most lenses, only slight corner fall off even with my full frame Sigma 12-24 zoom. No L-series lens I tried showed corner shading, but this may not be the case with very wide aperture lenses (e.g. 28-70 f2.8L).
2. Consumer zooms do suffer a bit (e.g. EF24-85) with edge diffraction but better than expected.
3. Non L-series Canon EF lenses have given very good results (e.g. 35mm f2.0, 85mm f1.8)
4. Sensor is very demanding, however. I wouldn’t buy this camera if you are not able to invest in (or possess) top-notch lenses.

RAW files processed with the bundled software (DPP and Zoombrowser) are superb but the large JPEGs setting (ca. 4mb files) are good enough for most situations. Possibly the best in-camera processed JPEGs I have seen.

Metering and focussing is excellent (a notch higher than 20D?) and the spot metering very welcome – the former has been noticeably absent from many Canon models for too long. The ‘Picture’ modes work well and cut down on post-production.

I printed an image to A3, having converted it from RAW into a TIF file. It was very difficult to find any fault at all (admittedly taken with an L-series zoom). Shadow detail and exposure latitude is outstanding (class leading?) and resolution exceeds that of the output device (an Epson R1800 printer).

Watch this space for an update once I have more hands-on usage.

Well done, Canon. This camera deserves to take the world by storm!

Sep 25, 2005