223 281409 Nov 30, 2013
5d_586x225_2_

The new Canon EOS 5D offers advanced photographers a lightweight, robust digital SLR that uses Canon's superlative EF lenses without a conversion factor. Its full-frame 12.8 Megapixel CMOS sensor combines with Canon's DIGIC II Image Processor, a high-precision 9-point AF system with 6 assist points, and "Picture Style" color control to deliver images of superior quality with enough resolution for any application. With its wide-angle capabilities, 2.5 inch LCD and magnesium-alloy body, the 5D is the perfect addition to the Digital EOS line.

World's smallest and lightest full-frame digital SLR* with a 12.8 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and superb image quality.
DIGIC II Image Processor for outstanding image quality and performance - 3.0 fps for up to 60 consecutive JPEG or 17 RAW frames in a burst.
New larger 2.5 inch LCD screen can be viewed even at extreme angles up to 170.
New "Picture Style" function for superior command of in-camera color, contrast and sharpness.
High-precision 9-point AF with 6 additional Supplemental points surrounding the center point for superior focus tracking.
Strong and light magnesium-alloy body with new shutter durability-tested to 100,000 exposures.
Compatible with over 50 Canon EF lenses and most EOS System accessories.

jd1566

Registered: Dec 7, 2004
Review Date: Jan 5, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: $3,300.00

Pros: Great image quality
Cons:
Price, but it is coming down

I have already reviewed this camera, so this is more of an update review. I have now shot in excess of 2500 images and overall I am very happy with the results.

Some banding issues are still there, especially when underexposed or in shadow areas. Also the Custom mode gotcha that looses your on-the-fly changes when the camera powers down is a real pain, but you can work around it if you're careful (or quick!).
One thing I have noticed with this camera compared to the 20D I used for a year is that in continuous shooting mode I no longer shoot off accidental extra frames. This is good, as with the 20D I really had to concentrate and pull my finger off the shutter button quicky to avoid duplicate images when I didn't want them.

Also this camera is a "slower pace" one, a tool that invites you to think about what you are shooting, rather than blazing away. For the sports photographer it aint.. for the artist in you it is excellent. Some compare the new D200 Nikon to this camera.. Full frame is for some and not for others.. For me it means seeing the whole image again. To set the record straight, the 5D is Canon's response to the Kodak DCS/C full frame camera that used to be the cheapest full frame 35mm DSLR.

Some other minor things such as no fill flash still annoy me, but the higher ISO capability means that available light photography is acceptable, and indeed desirable. Build quality is what it is.. not 1D series, but not plastic either. I hope in future incarnations the build quality for this 2-3K$ camera improves (the D200 from Nikon shows what is possible), but I expect to keep this model for some time to come, unlike the 10D and 20D before it that were eagerly sold to make way for the next best thing..

One word of caution. If you don't treat it as a precision optical instrument, this camera will show your inadeqacies as a photographer. Beware camera shake! Use a tripod if you can.. Don't just fire away whilly-nilly as you will find unacceptably soft images the result. As the resolution is excellent, any user error will show up mercilessly. My sensor after 2500 shots is a bit spotty, though not as dust-collecting as my previous 20D.

Overall I am enjoying photography again, and have forgotten about the tool, which mostly does as it's told, and only occasionally annoys me (C-mode is less than useless!). Now I feel I'm taking pictures again!

Jan 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jd1566 to your Buddy List
recordproducti

Registered: Jul 11, 2005
Review Date: Jan 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fabulous performer in pretty much every respect. Superb low light performance, superb dynamic range, excellent viewfinder, fast AF, the list goes on.
Cons:
Possibly the price but I think it's great value overall.

My critical shooting conditions, mostly shoots in dim recording studios, demand good low light ability and the 5D has proved to be way better than anything else I've been able to try. OK, I am coming from a 10D and I am sure that 20D users will be used to some of the advances available here but now with full frame my lenses are right, for example my 50mm f/1.4 is now just wonderful giving the intended wider field of view and superb low light combination and my Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 is also superb.

I am so in love with the 5D. It produces such beautiful images.

Pretty much every positive reason for getting one of these has been listed below but for me the highlights include: Excellent low light performance, it's full frame, flexible range of ISO settings, great viewfinder, great LCD screen (though possible a fraction flattering?), it produces so many 'keepers' - the images are superb.

Any cons? None for me.

Jan 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add recordproducti to your Buddy List
Film_Ruled

Registered: Oct 20, 2005
Review Date: Jan 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: This is a real 35mm camera that does not weigh a ton or cost a mint. A true bargain for the adventure / travel / ultra-light conscious pro.
Cons:
Still has that lame CF based mirror lockup. Still has that lousy, easy to scratch and hard to clean non user replaceable Canon eyepiece design. Come on Canon, get a real screw in eyepiece for once.

First off, let's get some amateur hour misconceptions out of the way:

1. This is a pro camera, nothing less. Build is super solid but not "Ford-tough" excessive like the 1-series are. I have put about 16,000 frames on mine since 9-30-05. The lack of weather sealing is a minor consideration as a good extreme condition pro knows that proper gear care is far more important than a sealed camera with a wet lens that is not getting you the shot. In other words, for 90% of my National Geographic shooting friends, sealed cameras are kind of gimmicky. My 20D has 70,000 frames on it and was routinely exposed to constant elements. Sure, it all helps, but is not the gospel some of you preach.

2. Canon needs to work on new wides since this exceptional camera, like the 1DS series, reveals the limits of wide glass more than a film rig would. But.....it is far better than I expected. I went and ordered a 24 1.4L and 85 1.2L and they are both well more than useable wide open. In fact, they are exceptional. The 24mm is my favorite lens and is *killer* wide open. If you have a really good copy like I do, try putting a object in the very corner and focusing on it manually. You might find, it is far sharper than you think.

This camera has set many of us free. Many who were trapped in the digital world with the obviously temporary fix of cropped cameras in the real world. It is small, light, well made and gives a truly talented photographer the most versatile and powerful 35mm camera every made. Big fat 1-series cameras have no place in my line of work. I have waited 10 years for this DSLR and I am SO pleased with it and so are my editors and art directors. I have not told them that I am using a different camera, they have told me that they see my vision true to it's style once again. Two page spreads all the way up to ISO 3,200 with my super secret way to reduce noise are turning out stunning. I would have lovingly paid up to $5,000 for this camera so $3,000 is a flat out bargain for me.

Just like any camera, the 5D is not for everyone. But for many pros and advanced amateurs, it is what we have been praying for.

Outstanding Canon!

Jan 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Film_Ruled to your Buddy List
Rob O

Registered: Aug 31, 2003
Review Date: Jan 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Full frame, Large viewfinder, Very high detail in your pictures, Easy to use,the included canon raw software works somewhat good and easy to use.
Cons:
Double the cost of average cropped DSLR, LCD impossible to view in the outdoors (including overcast days) for best results must use top notch glass,Full frame makes a very thin DOF the photographer must be on his/her toes.

full frame is like being back to true 35 mm photography

Jan 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rob O to your Buddy List
steveprice

Registered: Dec 3, 2005
Review Date: Dec 31, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Big LCD with zoom feature (niiiiiice), feels good, 12.8 megapixels, good at high ISO, easy to understand and navigate buttons and menus, not too heavy (until you add the must-have battery grip)
Cons:
Minor niggles are: I found I pressed buttons with my left thumb when holding in portrait orientation; battery only lasted one afternoon (about 100 shots), second battery a must-have, as is probably the extended battery grip, costly batteries and grip, ISO is static i.e. it doesn't change automatically to suit the lighting, exposure compensation involves a switch, a button and a dial, I will never use the direct print function.

If it wasn't for the battery issue I would have given overall 10.

Dec 31, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add steveprice to your Buddy List
Kagetsu

Registered: Mar 16, 2005
Review Date: Dec 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,330.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid construction, Excellent photographic ability, impressive selection of options. Generally, a wonderful addition to the Canon range.
Cons:
No weather sealing, no option for alternative battery types, mirror slap a little too much force.

For me, I paid 333,000Yen, and must say it's the best camera I've ever owned. Prior to the 5D, the only option I had for full frame, was to go with film, or a 1Ds or the equivilent Kodak series... The reality was, that only the 1Ds would offer the use I wanted.

I've only owned the 5D for a short time, however, from what I've seen of it, it's definantly taken on the role as my primary camera. It's the little things that have really made the difference for me, and I hadn't really read or heard anything of them prior to using it.

Firstly, the bokeh of the Full frame. I never thought much of it, I'd always let it go without worrying too much about it on my 20D, which I still use and love. However, to see the difference for me was breath taking. Using f/1.4 was simply amazing, and I'm looking forward to really pushing my lenses as far down as they go. I love the effect, and it's given a whole new dimension to my work, and given me an opportunity to expand.

ISO adjustability is superb in this camera. It can be pushed as low as ISO50 equivalent, and as high as 3200... Everybody is pretty much aware of that, but for me the suprise was the intermediate ranges... 100/125/160/200/250/320/400/500/640/800/1000/1250/1600 makes it much more accessible. More refinable.

It's allowed me to moderate to a slightly lower ISO for night shooting. Not that it's a problem at ISO 800 anyway, but lower ISO is always better I believe.

Being able to see the fStop in the view finder is also a plus.

General usage wise, I have my fitted with the grip, and must say it's a whole new beast to the 20D, it simply feels big. It'd probably be interesting to see it size wise next to a 1Ds/1D Mark II.

I like the photo's it produces, though by default it's a little soft, and a little to saturated in the colour. After adjusting it slightly, the result is nice, and crisp images.

On the negative notes, I would have hoped that with the release of this Canon, a new set of battery type would be released along with it, giving people in colder area's something to work with. Still, we can only hope soon.

Naturally weather sealing is there, but not a major issue. It'd have been nice, but it's nothing I'd hold against this camera. The build quality is very good, and for the most part, it'll deal with some punishment (I believe, as my 20D has, in bush hikes past waterfalls, and crashing waves, and it's still going strong).

The only big thing is mirror slap, which I find to be very much noticeable. It's not major, but you certainly feel it, and if you're not holding it well enough, can result in a slightly (ever so much so) distorted image. It's not bad though.

Over all, I'd certainly recommend it to anyone who's in the market for a new System. Canon really have thought this one through very well. Considering what they've achieved, the cost, and the ability, this camera is incredible.

In comparison to the 20D, it's solid, really solid. It feels a million dollars, and anybody who's played with a 20D, know's it's not half bad itself.

Dec 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kagetsu to your Buddy List
zaton

Registered: Dec 21, 2005
Location: Poland
Review Date: Dec 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, DOF, Picture Quality, Resolution, 13MP, shutter sound, weight, nice optional grip, balance, custom setting, ISO in viewfinder, Viewfinder brightness, to get the same DoF as in the 1.6 crop cameras you need to stop the lens - what gets you better image quality (lenses tend to create much better pictures when stopped down)
Cons:
Actually none - prolly the best everyday digital SLR ever made. At least simple sealing would be nice (but for not heavyduty job - 5d is perfect in all aspects)

Probably the best digital SLR I have ever used. Great resposiveness, ISO noise 400-1600 much cleaner than filmgrain, finally normal DoF. To get the same DoF of a 1.6 crop camera, you need to stop down the lens which results in superior image quality. Just like in film cameras corners tend to be soft when shooting wide angles, but if you have ever developed such prints, you will be amazed of what 5d can do. Picture quality comparable to mid-format. Way cheaper than 1d series, although lacking env-sealing. I have used my 5d in the rain and sun and snow already, and it really doesnt hurt. The camera performs great. RAW mode delivers excellent results. Well made shots are hard to distinguish from film cameras. Way lighter than 1d serier, easier to carry and use. Durable shutter, solid feel, excellent optional grip. Excellent battery performace for 13MP sensor and considering image size, very fast saveing/reading to CF cards.
Wide angle is wide again. Tele shots have the tele look and feel and bokeh Wink
I own 1dsMkII and 1v film cameras. Replaced 20d with my 5d, and it is now the camera I use most. It is not worth keeping 20d for 1.6 crop. Canon TC is way lighter, cheaper and takes less room in my bag Wink
Buy it - you will never regret it.

Dec 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add zaton to your Buddy List
TonyKidd

Registered: Dec 15, 2005
Review Date: Dec 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Full Frame sensor for under 3K, much improved AF, AI Servo tracking close to my 1DMKIIn, Spot Metering,
Cons:
No Environmental seals for $3,000.00 camera is plain old ridiculous. Needs Canon's best glass PERIOD.!!!

No more need to carry around a brick on vacation is nice, and did i mention FF. I was not going to buy this camera at first, then my local dealer received his order of 5D's and allowed me to take his demo out for the day for a full trial run. The 3D like images that come out of this camera jump out at you, amazing quality. I hear allot of people complain about only 3FPS, well with an 18 image RAW buffer that is 6 seconds of continuous shooting, also the buffer dumps faster than my MKIIn's or so it seems, using a 4GB Extreme III card. Now i owned a 1DSMKII and sold it to fund the purchase of my Canon lenses, 400MM F2.8 and 180MM L Macro. The images that come out of the 5D are right on par with the 1DSMKII. Now there are a few people who are saying the 1DMKIIn's images are just as good, well they are very good, but they are not as good as the 5D's period, i own them both. Now when Sept 06 arrives i believe that Canon will release my dream camera, a 1x3 crop, 14MP, 10FPS, 22 RAW Buffer, on a 1 series shell, this would be my dream machine.
If you are looking for an extremely nice camera for all around use, yes all around, like i said all though it is 3FPS you get 6 seconds to grab that 1 shot, or if you want to shoot JPEG you can shoot 60 or 20 seconds. Anyway i HIGHLY RECOMEND this camera.

Dec 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TonyKidd to your Buddy List
serendipity000

Registered: Oct 17, 2005
Review Date: Dec 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Beautiful Build, familiar interface as 20D, Digital Rebel, Eos 7 Much lighter to lug around than the 1 series great quality fron high ISO shots
Cons:
JPEGS come out soft, not great for events but useable.

Dec 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add serendipity000 to your Buddy List
smac

Registered: Sep 28, 2004
Review Date: Dec 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Full frame, big bright viewfinder, stunning resolution, very low noise, quality build. Feature set. This is a breakthough camera techologically.
Cons:

The first day I shot with this camera, I felt that the tool had become invisible and that there was a direct link between the subject and my vision. It's been like that every day since. I've been waiting for this camera since digital began. I love shooting with it! I've had many cameras since getting my 1st Nikon F in 1968: Nikon MF and AF, Canon EOS film and digital, large format, Leicas, medium format and I can say without hesitation that this is the finest camera I've ever owned or used. It took me 3 trys to get there, though. The 1st one had a CF card formatting problem and the 2nd one had a big fat hot pixel. The ergonomics fit me (large hands, glasses) perfectly and I love the sound and feel. Metering is right on. Focus is fast and accurate.

On the next model, I'd like to have eye controlled focus, mirror lockup (rarely used) on the camera body and slightly lighter. I liked the pop up flash on my 20D and A2E, but I'm using the 580EZ to much better effect. But if this were my last DSLR, I'd be happy for the rest of my days.

Dec 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add smac to your Buddy List
kendallkoning

Registered: Nov 26, 2005
Review Date: Dec 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Full frame, large viewfinder, quieter shutter than 20D, smaller size than 1D(s), large LCD.
Cons:
No built-in flash, expensive, would have liked 1-series AF for the price.

A great upgrade for me from the 20D, though going full frame did require some adjustment to my lens lineup to maintain the same FOV. The advantages of a larger frame size are wonderful for my style of photography. Getting a shallower DOF without superfast longer glass like the 85/1.2 or 135/2.0 is great for portraits, and my existing lenses are sharper on the 5D because fewer lines/mm of MTF at the sensor are required for the same number of lines per frame height. Vignetting in the corners is not that important to me and can easily be fixed in (batch) post-processing.

Dec 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kendallkoning to your Buddy List
woodyspedden

Registered: Nov 24, 2005
Review Date: Dec 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,299.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great image quality. The beauty of full frame is to maintain the flexibility for the wide angle glass and the 5D does this at very reasonable price. Very intuitive controls although still more complex than Nikon's ergonomics. A two body system comprising the 5D and the 20D gives us the best of all worlds from full wide angle to super telephoto and both are less than the price of the 1DS MKII
Cons:
I agree with the poster who noticed that these wide angle characteristics favor the landscape photographer and the wedding photographer all of whom do lots of outside shooting. Where is the weather sealing? Also real world shooters would trade the print button (grrr) for a mirror lock-up button every time. Canon should know by now that the current mirror lock up approach is neanderthal. I bought the 5D so I could use my Zeiss lenses in manual focus mode. Unfortunately the 5D mirror is "extra large" and hangs up on several lenses, sadly. So I ended up with the 1DS MKII which does not exhibit this problem. (Many posts on this subject in the Alternative Cameras and Lenses forum.

Dec 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add woodyspedden to your Buddy List
pauljm

Registered: Jan 3, 2005
Review Date: Dec 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: FF, autofocus speed, high iso performance
Cons:
Battery grip costs $500 in Australia. No other issues

I have just stepped up from the 10D after 2 years of flawless service and 24000 registrations. I was delighted with the 10D, but this camera is in another league. Apart from the battery grip being an absolute rip off, I have very few issues with the 5D. I will highlight the most significant delights

The autofocus is fantastic. I have had an 85 1.8 lens, which represented an 'average' combination with the 10D. It is now clear that with a narrow DOF lens, I missed the focus point far too often with the 10D. The 5 D is spot on, almost every time

The high iso performance just kills the 10D and represents a major step forward

The FF 12.8 mb chip is also fabulous. At last, my lenses function just as they did on a film camera, at the length they were designed for

The viewfinder is bright. The LCD is big, but I feel disappointing. It has nothing like the contrast or brightness of the LCD on my Epson P2000

I considered the 1dIIn, but to be frank I dont need 8 fps, would prefer the FF near 13 mb chip and the smaller camera. I am sure that the autofocus may be quicker on the 1 series, but I am yet to fault the 5D autofocus in nearly 1000 shots.

For the first time since my EOS 630, I have a camera that I know will last me for years

Dec 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pauljm to your Buddy List
JohnGalla

Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Review Date: Nov 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Full frame, decent quality feel for price, Ease of use, colour/contrast is very very good.
Cons:
No weather seal. Is it reliable !!!!!!!

As the 20D is less than half the price you do not get twice the quality. The functionality is basically the same as the 20D.

I tested it against my 20D and I am not doing cartwheels from the quality improvements of the 5D. However, welcome back full frame.
The biggest improvement I seen was in the colour/contrast of the images against the 20D.

I plan to get more involved in Wedding photography next year so that is why I splashed the cash. If you are a general hobbyist and not planning to get return on your investment I would stick with the 20D.

I hope this camera is reliable....... unlike my 20D !!!!

Nov 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JohnGalla to your Buddy List
bobbytan

Registered: Feb 2, 2004
Review Date: Nov 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,180.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Full frame, shallower DOF, 12.8 megapixels, 2.5" screen, big/bright viewfinder, size and weight, low high-ISO noise, quiet shutter, spot metering, interchangeable screens, programmable "C" function on dial.
Cons:
Price, limited AF points, no built-in flash, frame rate, vignetting and corner softness. Did I say price?

Most of my photographic experience is with Contax/Zeiss and Velvia film. My first DSLR was the 10D, which I really liked except that it is very slow - compared to the later-generation 20D. I got the 20D when it first came out, and although its better than the 10D, I never did like the noisy/clanky shutter, and I had some issues with the AF accuracy. The 5D is a dream-come-true for me ... for my present needs anyway. With my SLR background, I have been spoilt with a big, bright viewfinder and I expect all Canon lenses to perform as they were designed i.e. without any crop factor.

Is the 5D a perfect DSLR? No, far from it. But it has the features that most SLR shooters want full frame, big/bright viewfinder (although it falls short of SLR standards), spot metering, shallower DOF, interchangeable focusing screens, etc. Image quality is very good thanks to the FF sensor and 12.8 megapixels. Its a huge advantage if you need to crop your image and/or make large prints. I LOVE the size/weight and relatively quiet shutter. It is also true that 5D images require less post-processing than 10D/20D images. The lower high-ISO noise is truly amazing and allows you to shoot in very low light without a tripod.

Although its inexpensive compared to the 1Ds2 and D2X, it is still a very expensive DSLR. The AF mechanism IMO is decent and acceptable - better than the 20D but not as good as the 1 Series Canons. I can live with the other relatively minor issues (theres got to be some trade off) like the slower frame rate, no weather sealing, limited AF points, no built-in flash, less-than-ideal viewfinder coverage and magnification, LCD brightness, vignetting and corner softness, etc.

You have to look at our shooting style and preferences, as the 5D is certainly not for everyone. If image quality is very important to you, you have good glass (primes and L lenses), and you are not primarily shooting sports and action photos, the 5D will serve you very well. If speed or a rugged body is more important to you, the 20D or 1D2N may be a better choice for you.

I am already looking forward to the 5Ds replacement ... hopefully it will have most of the features currently missing, more megapixels ... for under $3,000!

Nov 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bobbytan to your Buddy List
Andi Dietrich

Registered: Nov 12, 2005
Location: Bahamas
Review Date: Nov 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Full frame, 12 mp quality, low noise,not to heavy, B/W, C-mode
Cons:
CF door, LCD visibility outdoors, "mirror lock up where are you?"

I love this camera. of course there are always a few points to improve.

-i.e. the CF-door: they forgot probably the fact that's there where the photographer holds the weight of the body, the lens, the flash...

-mirror lock up could be together with the selftimer option

-the worst canon bug is still their wide angel lenses, which can't match their great cameras

compared with analog MF Cameras we are getting very close here. a good lens and tripod might be necessary to compet

but anyway this camera is a big fun

Nov 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Andi Dietrich to your Buddy List

223 281409 Nov 30, 2013