223 281862 Nov 30, 2013
5d_586x225_2_

The new Canon EOS 5D offers advanced photographers a lightweight, robust digital SLR that uses Canon's superlative EF lenses without a conversion factor. Its full-frame 12.8 Megapixel CMOS sensor combines with Canon's DIGIC II Image Processor, a high-precision 9-point AF system with 6 assist points, and "Picture Style" color control to deliver images of superior quality with enough resolution for any application. With its wide-angle capabilities, 2.5 inch LCD and magnesium-alloy body, the 5D is the perfect addition to the Digital EOS line.

World's smallest and lightest full-frame digital SLR* with a 12.8 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and superb image quality.
DIGIC II Image Processor for outstanding image quality and performance - 3.0 fps for up to 60 consecutive JPEG or 17 RAW frames in a burst.
New larger 2.5 inch LCD screen can be viewed even at extreme angles up to 170°.
New "Picture Style" function for superior command of in-camera color, contrast and sharpness.
High-precision 9-point AF with 6 additional Supplemental points surrounding the center point for superior focus tracking.
Strong and light magnesium-alloy body with new shutter durability-tested to 100,000 exposures.
Compatible with over 50 Canon EF lenses and most EOS System accessories.

ucmerrill

Registered: Feb 13, 2006
Review Date: Mar 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent quality, sharpness and FF. I had the 20D for two months and sold it. The 5D was what I expected from the 20D when I bought it.
Cons:
nothing.

Absolutely Amazing camera. I was a bit nervous buying it since I was disappointed by the 20D. I have it now for one day and totally love it. You cant go wrong with this camera. The pictures are REALLY colorful and sharp out of the camera. I will now finally cut down on using PS CS2 like I did with the 20D. YAHOO……..If you get it you will never regret it!!!. This is what I call a camera. Two thumbs up!

Mar 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ucmerrill to your Buddy List
barabus

Registered: Jan 22, 2006
Review Date: Mar 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,996.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great high ISO performance, nice feel, great focus, nice shutter, bright viewfinder, large LCD, good write speed in RAW with fast CF.
Cons:
slow fps, need great glass, price

Have used this camera for over two months and really cannot say enough about the high ISO and low noise performance. Why do people say Canon is not good of action? I shoot at ISO 1000 without concern, then crop for great bird shoots. You have to buy good lenses to go with this camera. Watch for vingetteing- I passed up the 24-105 L in favor of the 24-70L because of this.

Would have given a 10 for build except the battery door worries me- it seems fragile, however, nothing has happened yet.

Highly recommend this camera, especially if a rumorred price drop of $500 is true.

Mar 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add barabus to your Buddy List
SoundHound

Registered: Jan 14, 2006
Review Date: Feb 27, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: $3,300.00

Pros: Follow up 5D comparison to the new D200: The 5D beats the Nikon D200 hands down-at and above ISO 800. The D200 has a good shape convenient buttons/features and low weight-BUT.
Cons:
D200 image and noise quality is poor at ISO 800.

The Canon continues it's dominance over Nikon in chip sensors. Just a few photos comparing the D200 @ 800 vs 5D @ 1600 showed much more noise/grain and a disturbing lack of picture data from the D200.

If anything the D200's noise is worse than the D70. In CS2 the D200's file just didn't have much "There" there. Forget ISO 1600/3200.

I returned the D200 and am selling all my modern Nikkors (not happy to see the wonderful 70-200 go either). I plan to buy a second 5D body when the prices come down.

If you do the math on actual sensor area (per Canon's own dimensions) it works out that a 1.5/1.6 crop chip is about 40% the area of a FF!

Canon was wise to keep the D30's chip at 8MP and not make the pixels smaller and noiser-even though they gave up advertising bragging rights.

I take candids and with Canons fast lenses and ISO 1600 I have no use for a flash. The pictures look much better than the eye sees it. Truly a miracle camera!

Feb 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SoundHound to your Buddy List
tony A7

Registered: Feb 6, 2005
Review Date: Feb 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,969.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: pixels, size, weight and most everything about it
Cons:
Mirrorlock up is still under the menu

Feb 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tony A7 to your Buddy List
jmraso

Registered: May 25, 2004
Review Date: Feb 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: FF, resolution and low noise. Quality pictures is the main positive aspect of this "toy".
Cons:
Price and no FEL function. Flash syn. it is only 1/200 !!!

Excellent wedding camera, no need to go for a 1 series yet.
Beautifull photos straight out of the camera with little processing.

My first real Pro DSRL.

Jaime
www.jmraso.com

Feb 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jmraso to your Buddy List
eric_krumm

Registered: Aug 9, 2005
Review Date: Feb 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,970.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: weight, size, handling, big lcd, image quality
Cons:
none - I've only had it one week though!

Canon once again shows their prowess in ascertaining what the market wants; a full frame, high-resolution camera under $3500.
I have been waiting for this camera for a couple years. Shooting film since 2001, there is no way I'd sacrifice image quality for a sub-12MP camera and definitely not one that wasn't full frame.
I got the grip, RAWshooter Premium (as recommended here on FM) and have really enjoyed using this camera over the last week, including one portrait shoot for a local mag.

Now I’m all set until they do it again with an 18MP camera (hopefully with 48-bit color)!

Feb 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add eric_krumm to your Buddy List
Mullet

Registered: Jun 7, 2004
Review Date: Feb 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Size - Weight - Bright LCD - Full Frame - Full Frame - Full Frame - Fast - Addictive
Cons:
Addictive - 512 Compact Flash card have to be replace with 2GB cards

This is what I wanted in a DSLR. I liked my old 10D very much and used it often. But I was going to go back to my EOS 3 and slides until the 5D came along.

The images are sharp with any of my lenses. I only have Canon lenses now. The camera responds predictably to setting changes. The Picture Styles feature is nice for B&W shots and landscapes (I'm not a portrait guy).

I have a very fast and powerful PC, and a very good laptop. If not, I think processing RAW images would be a chore.

I've got 2 2GB CF cards and 2 1GB CF cards. Even at 5D scale they are still the equal of a lot of rolls of Fuji. The buffer is big and the card access is fast. I have not over run it in burst mode, yet.

Some of the things folks have said about buttons and features would be nice. But for me, the full frame, speed, and the image quality more than make up for anything I read here.

A built-in flash would be welcomed, but the EOS 3 doesn't have one either.

Feb 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mullet to your Buddy List
Michael-M

Registered: Apr 21, 2002
Review Date: Feb 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: finally Canon did it right.........full frame, fast precise AF, LCD that doesn't look like a P&S screen, excellent build and layout.
Cons:
yes, it's an addictive camera.

i tried to convince myself that i did not need this camera, and that the 20D is all i'll ever want to shoot with. even at first getting it i tried to not like it, tried to find something wrong with it, even ran a hot pixel test to discredit it..........not a chance. i can't find one single fault with it. as a matter of fact, i thought for sure that i would miss the 1.6X crop factor of using my 20D (which i will keep for telephoto shooting and snaps out and about) but the reallity of full frame hits you with an "awe, ooh, wow" in such a way that you become quite addicted to the images this camera produces.
there is so much fun packed features built into this camera that i feel ashamed for not giving my 20D more attention, but to those of you thinking about buying the 5D, you will not be dissapointed in any way.

Feb 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Michael-M to your Buddy List
badplumbing

Registered: Feb 7, 2006
Location: Poland
Review Date: Feb 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: The dogs proverbials .....
Cons:
None really

Sell everything you have and buy one.

Many press professionals are moving down to the 5D from the 1 series because it's lighter and yet produces great quality pictures. If you're not taking photographs in the desert, on top of mount Everest or in the middle of the Atlantic ocean in deepest winter or Manchester, England on an ordinary day, then this camera can cope with all your needs. In extreme conditions buy insurance as it is not weather sealed.

My only caution would be - if you don't have a collection of Canon lenses, think about the Nikon 200D as an alternative - it's cheaper and just as good, although the full frame Canon is more fun with wide angle lenses.

One thing I have found, is that that my 5D seems more prone to getting dust on the sensor than any other digital camera I use, but 'blowing it off' according to the instructions has proven easy, effective and on occasion, deeply satisfying :-).

Feb 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add badplumbing to your Buddy List
incdigital

Registered: Aug 2, 2005
Review Date: Jan 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price , FF, Image Quality , Decent Buffer for Raw/Jpeg , ISO in viewfinder , High ISO Performance , Pleasant Shutter Noise vs. 20D "Clunk"
Cons:
Doesn't make me coffee in the morning...other than that...for the price im happy

Jan 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add incdigital to your Buddy List
WEST1972

Registered: Jan 24, 2006
Location: Slovenia
Review Date: Jan 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: finally full frame pro camera for affordable price!!! picture quallity, low noise, exellent camera for my line of work - I mostly do events and weddings.
Cons:
none, exept direct print button. weather sealing would be nice, but i can live without it, more FPS, eye control and 45 AF points. But this is still to come with EOS 3D ...

I got one of the first copies of this exellent camera in my country in the middle of october 2005, shoot a lot of pro stuff with it and must say that i am very satisfied. The quallity of prints is exellent, AF works preety well, the only real problem is non full compatibility with my Metz pro flashguns, so that i am forced to get original Canon EX 580.

Jan 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add WEST1972 to your Buddy List
kuere

Registered: Dec 18, 2005
Review Date: Jan 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Resolution-sharpness-colors-good response- built quality
Cons:
Price in comparison with model 20 D

I've changed from 20 D to 5 D - What a nice experience! All my experiences from film cameras like Leica M6 or Contax RTS are back to reality. This camera cries for good lenses. First pictures with EF 135/2.0 L or EF 85/1.8 are exceptional- sharp and breathtaking. Please take care using EF 17-40/4.0L lense- without crop factor this is really ultrawide. Anyway, I have made some very good shots with this combination. Adobe Photoshop CS2 helps for some corrections. For best result I will concentrate on prime lens only.

Jan 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kuere to your Buddy List
harryset

Registered: Jul 23, 2004
Review Date: Jan 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Low noise, quiet shutter, resolution, full frame controls
Cons:

If you have had a nagging feeling way down deep, since you switched from film to digital, that digital was lacking in several areas. . . the Canon 5D is the answer to those feelings.

It begins when you put the camera up to your eye and frame your first picture. Large, bright and clear.

When you push the "soft shutter", the feel and sound of the shutter slapping (very quiet) will remind you of your old film cameras. Very reassuring.

The LCD is bigger and easier for viewing.

I was equally as pleased when I took my first shots using the 580EX and 24-70L. I used up a 2gig card without a single exposure problem and no soft shots whatsoever.

This is the camera that I thought I was going to get when I switched from film to my 10D.

Jan 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add harryset to your Buddy List
SoundHound

Registered: Jan 14, 2006
Review Date: Jan 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Low Noise, High Res, Wide Dynamic Range! Big viewfinder and display screen with RGB. Makes beautiful pictures!
Cons:
Dim data in viewfinder in strong light. Minor: Direct print options, etc would be better replaced with more custom setting memories. Nice to be able to name custom folders.

After a 30 year layoff (with Nikon FTn and 10 Lenses) I waited until I could get a digital camera that would let me shoot like I was used to. I bought the D70 13 months ago and began low light photography of Flamenco Dancers in performance.

I was getting so/so images (@ 1600, F2 & 1/125 + lots of sharpening in photoshop) with the D70 and was considering the D20 for a little better noise performance when the 5D was announced. I couldn't wait for the usual internet discount and (gulped at the $3300) bought it at my local camera store.

After some time with the 5D I can't bear to pick-up the D70 or
look at the pictures I took with it. To use a film comparision
it's like I changed formats from 35mm to 6X7cm. The range and quality of fast lenses is tops to (I just bought my 9th lens-7 L's).

I am hoping to protect my investment in so many Nikkors with
the D200 when it comes available but I am suspicious of a
Nikon chip that has smaller pixels and no FF. Would be interested in comments ref D200 vs 5D.

Jan 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SoundHound to your Buddy List
Liquidpics

Registered: Jun 14, 2005
Review Date: Jan 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,999.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: A nice LARGE viewfinder- Full frame- Wonderfully responsive AF- Images that really POP- LCD is like looking through the window to your garden
Cons:
Wish it was built like the 1D series bodies- it would be perfect if it was.

Just a few observations-
It has much better AF in regards to accuracy and speed compared to the 20D. It is on par with the 1D series. It feels sturdier/more rigid then the 10D/20D's bodies but unfortunately still covered in plastic. The only benefit I could see in this construction is it's lighter then the 1D bodies. A relief for wedding photog's. Lastly, I love the soft touch shutter release! Love it! My favorite out of all the cameras Canon has out. Highly recommend this baby!

Jan 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Liquidpics to your Buddy List
dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Jan 6, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Full frame, big viewfinder, superb image quality (with good lenses), smallish, lightish, well made, fast in use, good ergonomics, big LCD
Cons:
Sill mirror lock up procedure, odd C mode issues, awkward fiddly socket covers

This is my second review of the 5D after a few months of intense professional use. I spend so much of my time espousing the merits of this camera in the forums I thought I might as well just do it here.

This is a REALLY fine digital camera, when used carefully and exposed correctly the images are easily the equal of medium format and virtually up to the standards of the 1DsII. The 'banding' some describe is usually due to poor exposure and expecting miracles from 3200 ISO. Image quality is what the 5D is all about and it delivers. Focusing is fast and accurate and the big viewfinder makes manual focus easy when needed.

I have now sold my beloved 1-Series as this is much more my sort of camera. I can use it with one hand at the top of a ladder, I can see the menu because of the lovely big lcd, the images appear instantly - it makes my 20D look slow! I have never inadvertently changed a setting and the two-stage on/off switch is a sensible way of preventing this.

The quality of the images is, in my opinion distinctly superior to that of my 1DII, that is the sharpness and dynamic range are more or less the same but the 5D's image is much. much bigger. This equates to less noise, bigger enlargements and good scope for cropping. I am now able to leave my converted RAW files with no further processing needed. I am now able to use up to 400 ISO as if it were 100 without fear of noise.

Build quality is on a par with Canon's original professional manual focus FD 1 series (F1N etc) and perfectly good. This is a professional standard workhorse and exactly the camera Canon needed to show their huge superiority in this marketplace, it is not a consumer point-and-shoot and should not be described as such. It doesn't need nor should it have a pop-up flash!

In summary, this is a very nearly perfect camera. It is the first digital camera I have owned that I know I will keep, there is nothing much I would need that this can't do, up till now the market was evolving, now it is maturing. Canon has (sensibly) decided that full-frame matters, Nikon has other ideas, I believe Canon is right. They have a serious winner on their hands with the 5D.

Jan 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List

223 281862 Nov 30, 2013