223 280135 Nov 30, 2013
5d_586x225_2_

The new Canon EOS 5D offers advanced photographers a lightweight, robust digital SLR that uses Canon's superlative EF lenses without a conversion factor. Its full-frame 12.8 Megapixel CMOS sensor combines with Canon's DIGIC II Image Processor, a high-precision 9-point AF system with 6 assist points, and "Picture Style" color control to deliver images of superior quality with enough resolution for any application. With its wide-angle capabilities, 2.5 inch LCD and magnesium-alloy body, the 5D is the perfect addition to the Digital EOS line.

World's smallest and lightest full-frame digital SLR* with a 12.8 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and superb image quality.
DIGIC II Image Processor for outstanding image quality and performance - 3.0 fps for up to 60 consecutive JPEG or 17 RAW frames in a burst.
New larger 2.5 inch LCD screen can be viewed even at extreme angles up to 170.
New "Picture Style" function for superior command of in-camera color, contrast and sharpness.
High-precision 9-point AF with 6 additional Supplemental points surrounding the center point for superior focus tracking.
Strong and light magnesium-alloy body with new shutter durability-tested to 100,000 exposures.
Compatible with over 50 Canon EF lenses and most EOS System accessories.

rolfy

Registered: Jul 10, 2005
Location: Portugal
Review Date: Apr 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, high ISO performance, build quality
Cons:
No automatic cleaning of sensor

I have it for one month now. I love this camera - pictures are so natural as in old times! Try it!

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rolfy to your Buddy List
danb708

Registered: Nov 26, 2005
Review Date: Apr 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, Build, Performance at 3200
Cons:

I know its all been said but Wow! The image quality is superb, The iso performance is out of this world. Now I know why all the wedding photographers use this camera. Combined with fast glass say 1.8 or faster and youve got the perfect low light camera. Sure youre gonna have some noise at iso 3200 but noise ninja should take care of this. You can take this camera anywhere and expect fantastic results. If canon ever combines this sort of high iso performance in a 1 series body im definately buying. Do yourself a favor and pick one of these up and youll never regret it.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add danb708 to your Buddy List
massi1978

Registered: Jan 7, 2006
Review Date: Apr 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: stupenda! qualita dell' immagine impessionante anche a valori iso elevati!
Cons:
costo.....

Semplicemente superlativa......

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add massi1978 to your Buddy List
Simms65

Registered: Jan 9, 2005
Review Date: Apr 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,896.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, Build quality, Af performance, High ISO performance, Image quality, Viewfinder, Quiet mirror slap
Cons:

I moved up to a 5D from a 10D, and I have to say that this is an amazing piece of equipment. I expected an excellent camera, but everything about the 5D just screams smooth quality. The night that I got the camera I was out at midnight shooting at 1600, and when I edited the images I was amazed at how smooth and noise free they are. As far as the 'lack' of weather sealing, this camera has the same type of labyrinth seals that previous cameras such as the 10 and 20D have had. I have shot in the rain with my 10D. I will have no problem doing so with the 5D now. I just would not recommend dunking it in water.
I just cannot find anything bad to say about the camera. I have not noticed the squeaky CF door, dust problems, or any other problems since I got it.
I highly recommend anyone with Canon gear check this camera out.

Apr 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Simms65 to your Buddy List
calicokat

Registered: Oct 4, 2005
Review Date: Apr 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Full Frame, Price, Weight, High Quality Of Pics At High ISO (1600-3200)
Cons:

I have had the 5D with grip for four months now. It is an awesome camera. I use it for weddings and pretty much everything else. I love the full frame and high ISO quality. If you have any doubt's about this camera, remove them. Its not a 1 series, its not weather sealed and built like a tank. If you desire those features, it will cost you an extra $4,000.00 to get the 1DSMII. With Canon's $300.00 rebate in effect and the price of the 5D dropping, you can have one for $2,600.00 now. I might buy another.

Apr 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add calicokat to your Buddy List
G Lund

Registered: Dec 9, 2005
Review Date: Apr 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: FF, Fast AF, LCD Size, Parameter settings, High ISO Quality, Build
Cons:
Mirror Lock Up should be easier.

I bought in early Dec and have not looked back. I have enjoyed the camera alot. If you are even considering this camera, two thumbs up from me!!

Apr 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add G Lund to your Buddy List
carstenw

Registered: Dec 25, 2005
Review Date: Mar 31, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: high ISO, size, image quality, build quality, handling, no crop factor
Cons:
cf card door, no weather seals, nose smears screen, on/off button location, manual focus not easy with screen

i absolutely love this camera. i think since i got it i have left it at home maybe 1 or 2 days. great size, great handling, but the real reason i bought this over the D200 is the amazing image quality, even at high ISO. i have pictures taken at ISO 1600 which look like they were taken at ISO 200 (others show some noise; it is clearly dependent on something).

the 5D balances really well with the lenses i have (17-40L, 24-105L, 70-300DO, 100 macro), is relatively quiet for an SLR, easy to operate, and on and on. i have hardly anything negative to say about this camera. the minor points above are really nitpicking.

if you don't expect (or even want) 1-series build quality and weather sealing (and weight), this is the best SLR in the world. worth every euro and more.

Mar 31, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add carstenw to your Buddy List
lord_malone

Registered: Oct 9, 2005
Review Date: Mar 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: FF, size, feel, ergonomics, ISO in viewfinder, ISO in 1/3 increments, resolution, picture styles, increased buffer, bright viewfinder, interchangleble focus screens, nice battery grip, large LCD, control layout similar to 20D/30D, reduced shutter noise, improved AF,
Cons:
3 fps, useless direct print button (should've been mirror lock-up button), no easy access to mirror lock-up

I took me a couple days to really warm up to the 5D. I had mastered my 20D and felt quite comfortable with it. I also got spoiled by the 1.6x crop. After I spent a day shooting with the camera, I can honestly say that I made the right choice in acquiring the 5D. I appreciate the way my lenses are performing the way they were meant to, and I especially enjoy the FF perspective. The viewfinder is bright and eye pleasing and I like being able to adjust the ISO w/o removing my eye from the viewfinder. Although these features were implemented in the 30D it's nice to have spot metering, 1/3 ISO increments, RGB histogram, picture styles and of course the higher resolution. The larger LCD is nice, but I honestly could've done without it. I didn't mind the tiny viewing screen on my 20D at all. I prefer the slight increase in heft of the camera. It feels more like a pro camera in my relatively large hands. Can't complain about the battery grip. I can't imagine shooting without one now. It took a few days for the dust in the viewfinder to show up, but when it did it didn't bother me as bad as I thought. I also miss the 5 fps burst of the 20D. Man, does the 5D feel slow in comparison. But I won't be using the 5D for action anyway. I plan to also purchase a 1d mkIIn primarily for that purpose. Migrating from the 20D to the 5D proved easy enough since the control layout is the same. I immediately accessed the menu and proceeded to customize my settings and custom functions. I was pleased to see additional cfn settings available to me as well. Most people complain about the lack of an on-board flash. I prefer not to use a flash since all my lenses are fast (2.8 and higher), so the no fill flash doesn't bother me. Overall, I'm satisfied with my purchase and would recommend the 5D to anyone.

Mar 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lord_malone to your Buddy List
pprht

Registered: Mar 11, 2006
Review Date: Mar 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

This aint an actual review. And for that I am sorry, but I am in need of some assistance weather I shuld get a used EOS 1Ds or the EOS 5D, and as I have hear rumors about EOS 2D coming this fall. Should I just wait? Currently using a EOS 20D. Wich is better, 5D or 1Ds?

Mar 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pprht to your Buddy List
joe mama

Registered: Oct 3, 2003
Review Date: Mar 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything. Seriously.
Cons:
Viewfinder dust -- it bugs.

First, let me say that this camera is 10/10. No joke. Thinking about it? Just get it. Now I'll tell you why I got it.

I'm a shallow DOF shooter, and the only way to get a more shallow DOF than what I was getting with the 20D and all my fast primes was to get a larger sensor camera. The DOF of FF is 1 1/3 stops more shallow for the same FOV and aperture. Cool.

I'm also a high ISO shooter. There is a difference and it is noticable.

The camera is basically identical in function to a 20D, and I *loved* the ergonomics and layout of the 20D, and the 5D is the same. Bigger LCD, though, which is way cool (the 30D will have the same size LCD, though).

Now to the bad. There is sensor dust, but no worse than the 20D, I think. I shoot wide open all the time, so I rarely notice it, but when I do shoot shallow, I don't see more dust than I did with the 20D. I don't think, anyway.

But the viewfinder dust. F--k! I can't stand it! I want to send it in to clean it, but I use my camera everyday and you know it's gonna be a month before the fix it. I happened to be in the area and dropped by Canon Irvine to fix this, but they said I'd have to leave it for a few days. Aaaargh! They cleaned my sensor, though. That was nice.

Oh yeah -- my left most AF point light went out recently. That bugs. I need that fixed, too. The AF point works, the light just doesn't come on. On one of my 20Ds, that same AF point stopped working all together, so I sold it (and yes, I said why I was selling it) and bought another. I may do the same with my 5D. So, if you're reading this review, and want a deal on a 5D, email me. There's a catch, though: I use it everyday, so, you have to send me the money, I buy a new one, when the new one arrives, I'll send mine out. Should be a week delay or so. But I'll give you a good deal. If mine breaks or something else stupid happens in the week, I'll refund the money (of course!).

Anyway, back to the camera. It's everything I want in a DSLR. Except for a few things. One, I want more cross-type AF sensors, at least on all the horizontal AF points, and I want AF points closer to the edges, especially on the thirds. Why are all the AF points clustered in the center? Anyway, I don't care if they add more, or spread the ones they got out, but do something!

Then I want that inane Direct Print button to be changed to a Custom Button. In fact, I'd like to see three custom buttons, but *at the very minimum* change that useless Direct Print Button to a custom button. And I want to be able to program it for One Button Set WB. Here's how it would work: put your gray card, expodisk, paper towel, or whatever, in front of the lens and press the button. The camera will use AWB (no matter what WB you're using), will *not* AF, take the pic, set the WB, and put the camera into Custom WB. Simple. Why has this not been done yet? Also, to make it work, since your left hand will be holding the WB stuff, this custom button needs to be on the right side of the camera.

Next, I want Auto ISO. That is, I set my aperture and *minimum* shutter speed, and the camera sets the lowest ISO possible to get the shot. How hard is that? Why has that not been done? Bueller? Bueller?

And, yeah, fix that friggin' dusty viewfinder problem. ASAP. It's pissing me off. I mean, in all honestly, I rarely notice it. It's just knowing it's there that bugs me. Like a few dust specks in a lens. Even though it doesn't affect anything, it just bugs. Like when your wife won't let you go out with other chicks. I mean, it's a fact of life, but it bugs you after a while.

That's about it. Just so you know, I gave the build quality a "10" even though there's the viewfinder dust issue. But the camera feels great. I don't think it should be included in Build Quality. There should be a different category, like "Things that annoy you besides your wife" or something like that.

And the cost. I gave it a "10" for price, because, well, c'mon, FF for less than half the cost of the next cheapest FF camera? That *was* a breakthrough. But, of course, $3000 is nothing to sneeze at, unless, of course, you still got a bad coke habit, in which case you have other worries.

Bottom line: far and above the best camera I've ever used, do not regret upgrading from the 20D in the least (and I loved the 20D!). Just get it.

Mar 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add joe mama to your Buddy List
evolutio

Registered: Feb 7, 2006
Review Date: Mar 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,970.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Metering, color rendition, file options, file size; most of all FULL FRAME. Shooting at ISO 50 reminds me of shooting Kodachrome 64 with an F3HP. It isn't Kodachrome, but it's within sight.
Cons:
LCD is difficult to view in bright daylight. Hoodman covers are awkward.

I shot Nikon for 20 years until I purchased the Canon 5D. I can say without hesitation I will never go back. The learning curve was mild as a Nikon user. I recommend this camera for any pro. I added the vertical grip for the extra shutter button and "meater" feel.
For nearly 13MB, the price is a remarkable bargain.

Mar 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add evolutio to your Buddy List
vinhtc001

Registered: Jun 24, 2005
Review Date: Mar 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: FF, better AF, better ISO, Bigger LCD.
Cons:
Flimsy CF door. Shorter battery life.

A tad pricey when I first got it but now I love this camera and would gladly pay for it again. Low light shooting is great. I can shoot in nearly dark conditions without any problems. Finally the AF is right on. I always thought the AF on the 20D was slightly off. I love the shallow DOF and how bright the view finder looks. The larger LCD is also a plus. 3 fps is a bit slow but you get use to it and adjust your timing. I'm still able to get the shot and the deep buffer is a big help. My 50 mm looks wide again and I may get a 135mm to get back to that 20D look.

I'm very impressed with this camera and will keep it forever more. Now to get some jobs to pay for this thing. =)

Mar 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vinhtc001 to your Buddy List
dna86

Registered: Apr 12, 2005
Review Date: Mar 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: full frame, larger LCD screen, excellent picture quality
Cons:

I purchased this 5D as a second body to my 20D. After two weeks of shooting with it, I find it hard to use the 20D now. I am amazed at how small the display and viewfinder appear now on the 20D. The 5D is a joy to use. I also like that my 17-40 is REALLY wide now and I do not have to purchase a 10-22 lens.

Mar 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dna86 to your Buddy List
clocksley

Registered: Mar 7, 2006
Review Date: Mar 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: FF, Viewfinder brightness and clarity, HUGE LCD screen (like looking at your photos on the TV!), shutter action, basically EVERYTHING!
Cons:
Price (but you get what you pay for), No flash (although for a 1500 camera, spending 165 on a 430EX is well worth it.

What can I say? I nearly fainted when I looked through the viewfinder. The difference between the 5D and the 20D is just incredible. The fact that on a FF my 24-105mm is now an amazing wide angle lens (I would have needed a 15mm on the 20D to get the same view) is just the tip of the iceberg. The image is like someone turned the lights on! Focusing is almost like just using your own eyes - like there is no camera at all! The 20D now looks quite poor (although at the time I was impressed with that!) and you feel like you are part of the capture process, rather than just pointing a camera at something.
When you take a photo the first thing to hit you is the shutter sound, or lack of it. There is a gentle squeeze of the button, followed by a more gentle clunk, unlike the 20D "slam".
Once the photo has been taken, the image fills the enormous rear LCD, which is like the difference between looking at a 14" TV and then a 32" Widescreen. Very often in low light I would think an image looked ok on the 20D only to find out on a PC later that is wasn't as sharp as I thought. Well there's no hiding on the 5D - clear bright detail, and large enough to see too.
Using a "walkaround" lens and framing your pictures properly shows off the extra pixel resolution in stark reality. The detail this camera captures in nothing short of stunning. I could go on forever about the picture quality, but just look on the internet for examples - there are thousands.

I can't recommend this camera enough - I was in doubt whether to upgrade from my 20D but I'm glad I did. It makes photography more real, the action of taking the photos more pleasurable, and has given me new confidence and a desire to take more pictures than I did before. 10/10 !!!

Mar 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add clocksley to your Buddy List
arjini

Registered: May 12, 2005
Review Date: Mar 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Full frame! DOF is back! 12MP, build quality, big LCD, full size view finder.
Cons:
Pricey!

I'm upgrading from a 20d, and shoot landscapes, or static things most of the time. I shot with some nikon bodies when I was a kid and just used whatever my parents or uncle handed me, and then got back into photography when the 10d came out. Something always felt lacking in the overall feel of the 10d and the 20d, and I'm postive that it's the lack of the full frame.

The first big surprise was how much better the image quality was. I just took a picture of a friend's cat, and some of the hairs were literally one pixel wide zoomed in at 100%. That's sharp! The big surprise for me (and I'm sure this is obvious to the pros), was how much depth of field you lose on a cropped camera. Maybe it's not "lost", but it really does work differently on a cropped camera, I'm sure somebody knows the technical reason, but anyway, after using my lenses on a full frame body, I know that I'll never want to shoot with another 1.6 cropped body again, just for the DOF difference alone. Ah yes, and the viewfinder. It's back! You don't have to squint anymore. It doesn't quite have the magic that some old film body viewfinders do, but it's a HUGE step up from the 20d in my opinion.

Only downside is the price. $2500 seems more like what it should cost in my head. Not quite sure why. But despite that, between the easier composition, better DOF, faster more accurate auto focus, higher resolution, bigger LCD and better per pixel image quality, it's an absolutely spectacular camera.

Mar 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add arjini to your Buddy List
Aberdeen Photo

Registered: Mar 9, 2006
Review Date: Mar 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tremendous image quality, especially in RAW, full frame sensor, low noise at high ISOs
Cons:
How bout a little build quality for 3K+

Great little camera and why this Nikon guy of more than a decade of collecting lenses and bodies switched to Canon. Love the low noise at high ISO, spot on color and full frame sensor. Would love to see better build quality for money and more than 3 fps, but you cannot have it all even at this price point. Superior, film like DOF with sensor make this a no-brainer for anyone serious about selling images. I know when I go to an event that I will come back with quality images, even without looking at the 2.5" LCD. A truly grat performer and solid value.

Mar 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Aberdeen Photo to your Buddy List

223 280135 Nov 30, 2013