223 279621 Nov 30, 2013
5d_586x225_2_

The new Canon EOS 5D offers advanced photographers a lightweight, robust digital SLR that uses Canon's superlative EF lenses without a conversion factor. Its full-frame 12.8 Megapixel CMOS sensor combines with Canon's DIGIC II Image Processor, a high-precision 9-point AF system with 6 assist points, and "Picture Style" color control to deliver images of superior quality with enough resolution for any application. With its wide-angle capabilities, 2.5 inch LCD and magnesium-alloy body, the 5D is the perfect addition to the Digital EOS line.

World's smallest and lightest full-frame digital SLR* with a 12.8 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and superb image quality.
DIGIC II Image Processor for outstanding image quality and performance - 3.0 fps for up to 60 consecutive JPEG or 17 RAW frames in a burst.
New larger 2.5 inch LCD screen can be viewed even at extreme angles up to 170.
New "Picture Style" function for superior command of in-camera color, contrast and sharpness.
High-precision 9-point AF with 6 additional Supplemental points surrounding the center point for superior focus tracking.
Strong and light magnesium-alloy body with new shutter durability-tested to 100,000 exposures.
Compatible with over 50 Canon EF lenses and most EOS System accessories.

fozzybear69

Registered: Aug 21, 2008
Review Date: Nov 30, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: full frame, hefty metal body, great image quality, ISO 50 for silky smooth photos.
Cons:
Crappy LCD Screen compared to todays cameras, slow buffer, slow frames per second. Only 9 focus points. Slighty slower AF than todays cameras. Center focus point is the strongest thus outer focus points are weaker not making for sharpest subject.

I just love the images that come out of this camera. I got this used for $550 and I am glad I did. I finally can say I upgraded to full frame. The only Real complaint is the LCD screen and wish for more focus points. I always trust using the centre focus point anyways to ensure subject is in focus. I am not a sports photographer so I don't care about frames per second and the AF is fast enough for what I shoot. I like that I can use ISO 50 and rarely shoot in the dark so no need for the highest ISO. I mostly used flash and strobes.

Nov 30, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fozzybear69 to your Buddy List
scott_scheetz

Registered: Oct 31, 2012
Review Date: Sep 9, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great IQ, Low noise, sharp, great colors and detail
Cons:
Handling, Lack of weather-sealing, AF system

I love this camera. The files that this camera produces are amazing. Low noise at all ISO values, including 3200. I have under-exposed 1 stop at 3200, and boost to 6400 in post, and it still is usable.

The colors are amazing, and the level of detail is incredible. The files from this are way sharper than my 18mp Canon 60D. ISO 50 is a very nice as well. Silky smooth with no noise.

The dynamic range is wonderful, with great highlight recovery in raw files, as well as shadow detail. The shallower depth of field achieved from a full frame vs. a 1.6X crop is very nice as well.

Cons:
Not weather-sealed, but I have shot in light to moderate rain many, many times, and it doesn't seem to care. The AF system is a little weak, especially compared to a 1d series body, but the center point is always fast and accurate. It also has 6 assist points used during af servo mode which work quite well for sports. I have shot several sporting events with it and the 70-200L with out any issues.

Overall, this is an amazing camera, and in my opinion still holds its ground today, and beats any crop camera on the market.

Sep 9, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add scott_scheetz to your Buddy List
samwise

Registered: Aug 4, 2009
Review Date: Jun 2, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ!, Easy to use
Cons:
AF on outerpoints hit and miss, LCD won't be able to tell you if you've hit critical sharpness.

I used 3 of these bodies when I started shooting weddings. Last year I upgraded to the mark 2's and sold all my mark 1's. Well, I bought another mark 1 this year because I missed the image quality deeply. My mark 2's sit in the bag for the majority of the wedding day, and I am so happy to see those gorgeous files back on my monitor after a day of shooting. Shooting with this body and the 35L I don't think the IQ can be topped.

Jun 2, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add samwise to your Buddy List
Dpedraza

Registered: Jan 8, 2013
Review Date: Apr 29, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, build, ergonomics, full frame,
Cons:

This was my first Full frame camera that I bought. It took some adjusting to my wide angles, but it was def one of my top favorite cameras. Even at max Iso 3200 the iq isn't terrible at all. I loved this camera and for the price it's definitely still a good way into full frame and I would HIGHLY recommend the 5d

Apr 29, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dpedraza to your Buddy List
oldschoolshots

Registered: Oct 29, 2012
Review Date: Oct 29, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, easy-to-use straight forward, weight, battery
Cons:
dust

This was my 2nd love in the series of film and digital camera bodies. First one was the old Contax RTS I used for a complete decade. This piece has the potential for that as well.

I like the grip of this camera and I find every button and feature without looking at it in darkness as I did with my old RTS. I don't care of a heavy list of features. The camera usage concept is simple and I don't miss anything really.

The battery charge lasts for a very long time including viewing images. I took just one charged battery on holidays without the charger and made hundreds of pics close to 1k without any problem.

The images are very sharp. Noise isn't a problem even if shot at ISO 3200. AWB is ok for outdoor. For indoor one should cool down the colour temperature a lot.

The sound of the shutter is not very nice like that of the 1d series, but very realiable, if the battery state is o.k. If something is wrong, the battery always was the reason.

AF accuracy is quite o.k. It is fast and hits the subject, if it is located in the screens center.

The only issue is dust. I never had a camera that had a viewfinder looking so ugly with dust in it than this one. Useless to clean it which is a nightmare anyway. It will attracts the dust again within the next 20 shots. Sensor dust is not a big issue. It's o.k., when you clean it with a brush every 6 mounths and change lenses carefully in a dustfree environment.

Oct 29, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add oldschoolshots to your Buddy List
dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Jun 13, 2012 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Class-leading image quality even in 2012. Just great digital files (using RAW)
Cons:
Slow, clunky body, slow FPS, no sensor cleaning, no live view, no video, not 100% viewfinder, average focusing system (centre point only in reality), poor LCD, old-fashioned menus, no weathersealing.

An update to my first 5D review from 2005 (I think).

I've owned three of these over the years partly all at the same time, they are just fantastic digital cameras.

Don't expect to be spoiled though (which is a good thing) you actually have to set your own ISO (which is perfectly usable up to 1600 ISO with correct exposure and noise free at 800), you really have to use manual focusing or the centre AF point, I don't trust the others.

But it takes great pictures with a very convenient file size and no fuss. I've never had one fail.

It's a classic for a reason, it's supremely good at it's basic purpose, taking pictures. Use RAW and your brain and you won't be disappointed.

Jun 13, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List
aladyforty

Registered: Feb 3, 2006
Review Date: Apr 28, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Full frame, beautiful files
Cons:
clunky shutter, sensor gather dirt fast

I got the 5D "used" a couple of years ago and was amazed at the beautiful files, they have a creamy look about them and I prefer the look of them to my 5DII files. I only upgraded to the mark 2 for the bigger LCD and more mega-pixels. I have since sold the 5D but regret it. It is well built in my opinion. As a first time full frame I don't think you can go wrong. If you don't need video and just want to get into full frame cheaply, go for it

Apr 28, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aladyforty to your Buddy List
JesseShotland

Registered: Jun 17, 2011
Review Date: Jan 8, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Full Frame,
Cons:
Cheap feeling body, bad battery life, small/low res screen

The 5D is the worst feeling camera to hold. It feels like plastic, but it's heavy like metal. The screen is low res, small, and discolored. The menu system is horribly lacking.

The only reason I absolutely love this camera is because it's full frame. Full frame to me is worth more any bells and whistles.

Jan 8, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JesseShotland to your Buddy List
capitalK

Registered: Apr 25, 2005
Review Date: Apr 23, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Comfortable size, even without the grip. Nice files.
Cons:
Low flash sync speed - 1/160th with non-Canon strobes. No intermediate 1/3 stops between ISO 1600 and 3200. Sensor is a dust-magnet.

Took me a long time to buy this camera. Wish I had tried it sooner. Files are beautiful out of it. I love the size of the body, IMO it doesn't need the grip unless you're attaching a long heavy lens to it (to balance it out) and this is coming from someone who was accustomed to a 1D. I don't really care about video at this point in time so I don't miss it.

Against my better judgment I used this camera to shoot basketball and when set up properly and using only the center focus point it actually performed fairly well. Not in the 1D league by any means but its not supposed to. Had to anticipate peak action because I didn't have 8 fps to bail me out to pick the best out of a sequence.

I would have marked it a 9.5/10 but because that wasn't an option I rounded it up to 10/10. This camera is not perfect but for me it comes pretty close.

Apr 23, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add capitalK to your Buddy List
veroman

Registered: Aug 19, 2005
Review Date: Mar 17, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality Image quality Image quality
Cons:

Compared to the higher resolution, HD video and other bells and whistles of the latest cameras, the Canon 5D seems pretty basic if not bare-bones. It's LCD monitor pales by comparison to the newer ones, and auto-focus can sometimes be troublesome.

But if what you're looking for is a pretty simple high performance camera that does the job at any ISO up to 3200, that gives you a full frame image with all of the benefits of full frame, that has sufficient resolution for printing as large as 20" X 30", that's about as reliable a camera as you'll find anywhere the Canon 5D Classic is your best option.

I actually sold my original 5D in favor of the 5D II. A few weeks later I sold the 5D II and went back to the 5D Classic. To my eye, those larger photo sites in the original 5D make a difference that I always appreciate.

This is one great camera. That's why it's referred to as the 5D "Classic." At today's prices (March 2011), it's an incredible bargain.

Mar 17, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add veroman to your Buddy List
Joe Lang

Registered: Mar 24, 2003
Review Date: Feb 7, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros:
Cons:

Feb 7, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Joe Lang to your Buddy List
asamimasa

Registered: Jun 28, 2010
Review Date: Feb 6, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Cheapest option for full frame, controls noise very well (especially considering its age)
Cons:
No weather-sealing, not fitted with a great AF system, ISO button awkwardly placed, low FPS

If you're wanting to go full-frame but can't spend over a thousand, you're pretty much for sure gonna end up with a 5D. It's a great performer in terms of noise, especially considering its only got a DIGICII processor.
Unless you need atmospherically high ISO or 10FPS or weather-sealing, you shouldn't have too many complaints with this body.

Feb 6, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add asamimasa to your Buddy List
nycandre

Registered: Apr 23, 2009
Review Date: Jan 26, 2011 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Very high quality imaging sensor - Full frame - now (2011) at a bargain price too - about $1,000 used - lightweight
Cons:

Have upgraded since to a D700, but am keeping this little gem of a camera. Paired with lightweight lenses this is an unbeatable camera to have around all the time. Still one of the top cameras for low light conditions by a good margin

The Kiss - shot at ISO 1600 1/50 f/2.8 w/85mm F/1.8

Times Square at night ISO 1600 1/25 F/4 w/17-40L

At Colette's -from behind - ISO 1250 1/30 F/4 w/17-40L

Celtic Kung Fu master - ISO 1250 1/125 F/2.8 32mm w/ 24-70L

Jan 26, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nycandre to your Buddy List
psteidl

Registered: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Austria
Review Date: Dec 18, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp, lot of details, not too big files
Cons:
no dust reduce

for everyone who wants to update from an 40D or above its a very big increase of image quality. i also tested the 7D or the 1D, but fullframe is fullframe Smile

The autofocus is fast enough.
The display is smaller but better than the 40D's is.

This camera is still a a real keeper - if you do not need all the new "features" and just like to make pictures.

highly recomended

Dec 18, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add psteidl to your Buddy List
nycandre

Registered: Apr 23, 2009
Review Date: Jun 22, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Not expensive at all nowadays! Great image quality, full frame takes full advantage of all lenses. Great high ISO performance, still a notch above the rest. Well, at this price, can't complain really.
Cons:
High ISO performance lags * A LOT* behind the latest Nikon D700, never mind the D3s.. and the 5D Mark II, well not so far behind that I don't mind waiting for the next Canon real step improvement in high ISO perfomrance. Focusing is so so with few tracking spots - and sensor dust cleaning is a real pain to do.

There are many things I'd wish the 5D would do. But it was produced a few years ago, so have to accept its limitations.

Coupled with great lenses it produces superb images. Even its own jpeg processor is excellent.

Best camera at its price level, a classic certainly - about $1,100 used/ refurb nowadays.

Images .. well you be the judge:

Outdoor, shot straight into the sun. Minimal post processing, actually used the small JPG, excellent rendition, not much to add - shot at 2.8 70mm with the 24-70L

Nice bokeh, with indoor daylight, shot handheld @ ASA 800

Shot with the 100-400L - this is an enlargment, about 1/4 of the picture - the 5D resolves the 100-400 just rigth

Now for the pixel peekers .. shot with the 24-70 handheld, this shows how much it resolves.. the original is about 16 feet high

Jun 22, 2010
CBDigital

Registered: May 26, 2003
Review Date: Jun 10, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great color, particularly good skin tone. Good clean shots, file size is just about right.
Cons:
In many situations focus is limited to the center point. Lots of focus-recompose with this camera. But I am used to that now and it's not such a big deal.

I have been using the 5D since it came out. I have probably shot a half million shots with my various 5D bodies. It's a really great camera. I do mostly people photography and I prefer the skin tones that I get out of the 5D over the 5D MKII.

This camera is a classic. It may be outdated on the 'newest-bestest' scale but it will always take great pictures

Jun 10, 2010