517 904819 Jul 19, 2014
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84° - 23° 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

CircleMGraphic

Registered: Jun 29, 2008
Review Date: Aug 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,249.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IS, Focal length range, Sharpness, Color
Cons:
Pricey, but you get what you pay for

I thought my 50mm f/1.4 was sharp, I was wrong. This is my first L series lens, and I have now been spoiled. Took some portraits after bringing this puppy home. At 70mm wide open, this thing is TACK SHARP. Only con I've found of this lens is the price, but you get what you pay for.

Aug 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CircleMGraphic to your Buddy List
Cliffee

Registered: May 19, 2005
Review Date: Aug 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp and contrasty across its full range. IS is awesome. Uses standard 77mm filters like my other two L lenses. USM is fast, accurate and silent. Much lighter than my 24-70 f/2.8L. Ultimate walk around general usage lens for me.
Cons:
Not really a justified negative but if I had to complain f/2.8 would be the icing on the cake.Then I would complain about the weight.

I recently picked this lens up from a local Craigs List seller $700.00 w/B+W Polarizer "Pro"and I'm very happy with it. My longtime friend 24-70 f/2.8L will now either head to the safe and may even eventually get sold. The difference in weight is definitely worth the 1 stop loss for me and the IS works great. From f/4 and up it is very sharp. I could easily compare this to my 70-200 f2.8L any day!

Aug 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Cliffee to your Buddy List
el-richie

Registered: Apr 20, 2006
Review Date: Aug 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IS, Focal length, weight
Cons:
Bokeh

I bought this lens a year and a half ago to change my old EFS 17-85mm IS and all I can say is ooooh!! This is a really great (but easy to carry) lens. I like this lens very much in two different ways. First of all "ergonomics". It's quite light and small and, at the same time, it is very well built. Focus and zoom rings are perfect and give you a very precise control. IS works really well and AF too, though I usually shoot in quite well light conditions. On the other side, image quality is superb. Really good contrast, saturation and sharpness. Finally, the only thing that make this lens just excellent and not perfect (in my opinion) is the poor quality of bokeh in high contrast backgrounds such as light through leaves.

Aug 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add el-richie to your Buddy List
edwardzeltser

Registered: Jul 21, 2008
Review Date: Aug 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Focal Length, Color, Sharpness, IS
Cons:
F4, some vignetting at 24mm

Great lens for indoor and outdoor, flash photography or daylight. Sharp solid, light

To see some samples on 5D please go to: www.edzeltserphotro.com, Clients, Lenses, Canon 24-105mm

Aug 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add edwardzeltser to your Buddy List
EOS20

Registered: Mar 6, 2005
Review Date: Aug 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Good build quality, Good Image quality, And IS.
Cons:
None really, Other then some barrel distortion at the wide end.

I bought this lens to replace my old 28-105 f/3.5-5.6 USM which I have been using for a few years on my film cameras and I plan on using this lens when I go fullframe.
I like the build quality of this lens, Very similar to my 17-40. IS is very useful, And the colours and sharpness of this lens is really good too.
I chose this lens over the 24-70 because it's smaller and lighter, And I find IS to be more useful then having f/2.8 for the type of photography that I do.

The lens does have some barrel distortion at 24mm, But that is easily corrected in photoshop.

A good lens, And I can highly recommend it!

Aug 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add EOS20 to your Buddy List
smyles_eh

Registered: Jul 26, 2008
Review Date: Aug 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, weight, build quality, AF, IS, and of course, IQ.
Cons:
None, but F2.8 would be nice.

I bought my 24-104 in June 2006 to shoot a wedding (low paying gig, but a great excuse). I had a 28-135IS I was happy with, but thought I should have the "L" quality.

It stayed on my 10D, and now on my 40D about 95% of the time (I also have a Canon 100-400L and a 50 1.4, plus a 19-35 Tamron that I use on occasion). I can't say enough good things.

Build quality - About three weeks after purchase (early July 2006), the strap on my camera (10D, grip, 2 batteries, 24-105L, not exactly a light combination) worked loose, and BANG! 3 feet straight down, lens first onto the cement sidewalk. Aieee! Oh, the howah! The shock to my system was greater than the effect on the equipment. Only a few scratches on the hood and camera, no other damage at all to the lens or body. Talk about dodging a bullet. I am so glad I did not settle for the Rebel XT series camera, btw.

Image quality - The results speak volumes

These are small pics, but should be enough to give you an idea. You can contact me if you want to see larger.

On the 10D:

(Yes, those are real - check the refracted images inside the crystal balls)

(another hobby...)

(I have a 24x36 print of this on my wall)

On the 40D:

(Look at the dust on his glasses...)

If the links don't work, you can see them on my so-called website - www.fandyphotography.ca

So, I do most of my shooting with it, what more can I tell you than that?

If you ask me about buying a lens, I say, "Go to L".

Aug 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add smyles_eh to your Buddy List
JustForFun

Registered: Jul 23, 2008
Review Date: Jul 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good Focal Length, Ergonomics, IS, Fast AF and Build Quality
Cons:
A bit Flare prone.

This is my second EF24-105 f/4L IS USM. Sold the first one and almost regretted it straight away. So I bought a refurbished from Adorama.

Comments below are base on pairing with EOS 40D.

Focal Length is ideal for Portrait shots. Loose the wide angle but gain the telephoto. Very ideal pairing with a wide angle zoom like Canon's EF10-22 or Sigma's 10-20 allowing 16-168mm coverage on FF.

Overall, I am happy with the sharpness from f4-11 and it's colour and contrast is generally good too. Real annoyance is the flaring. Both my copies had it and problem compounded by an inadequte lens hood.

IS, in practice, does allows at least 3 stops difference and IS noise level is also barely audible unless you stick your ear next to it.

Construction is generally quite good and for me the ergonomics is excellent. When you wrap your hands around and, it just feels right and the zoom and AF rings are smooth and at your finger tips.

AF is fast and whisper quiet. Coming from mechanical link Nikkor AF lenses and early generation AF-S lenses like the 28-70, 300, 400, 500, 600....the BIG jump in speed and audio perception makes using Ring Type USM L lenses a pleasure..

Jul 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JustForFun to your Buddy List
Snead

Registered: Mar 17, 2002
Review Date: Jul 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $925.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: A very versatile and excellent performing lens.
Cons:
Quality varies from copy to copy

This was my second 24-105. The first one was a refurbished lens that must have had de-centered elements because the entire right side of the images were blurred and distorted. Some time later I found a brand new one cheaper than the refurbished so I decided to try the lens again and to my amazement it outperformed my most optimistic expectations and the excellent IS makes up for the f/4 maximum aperture.

Its performance on my 5D puts my previous favorite, the very good Tamron 28-75, to shame. Over my 58+ years in photography I have never been so surprised and impressed with a lens’s performance, even wide open.

Granted there are differences between copies of the same lens and this maybe the exception it never the less proves what the lens is capable producing.

Jul 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Snead to your Buddy List
Conrad Tan

Registered: Dec 8, 2007
Review Date: Jul 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp even wide open! IS works wonderfully!
Cons:
f4 is only good with good to moderate light. Once it get's dark I pull out my 16-35mm f2.8.

Get one! It'll be your favorite daytime walkaround lens!

Jul 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Conrad Tan to your Buddy List
e90im

Registered: May 23, 2008
Review Date: Jul 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great IQ, sharp center and corners wide open, build qualit is superb, looks cool.
Cons:
Canon QC, sharpness decrease >70mm wide open.

Got it on new e-bay. Lens was a part of 50D kit. First copy was SOFT!!! A lot worse than my 28-135. I did a comparo at major fl and all stops.

Seller was kind enough to replace it. Second copy is superb. At 24-70 range it's close to my 70-200L IS. At 70-105 range sharpness decreases slightly. IQ is excellent. It will be glued to my 40D.

Advice to future owners: Don't settle for "OK" sharpness. This lens is capable of much more. After all isn't this something we expect from an $1,000 L lens?

Jul 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add e90im to your Buddy List
JaySt

Registered: Jan 15, 2006
Review Date: Jul 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Question regarding this lens and a vendor
Cons:

I was looking at buying this lens and at the front page of the reviews on this Fred Miranda site, there are some banner ads with links to about 5 vendors. One is "One stop" which seems to sell for about $100. less than anyone else. ($979. for this lens) Has anyone dealt with them? I had not heard of them before.

Jul 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JaySt to your Buddy List
twaver

Registered: Jun 22, 2008
Review Date: Jun 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,029.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Range, Build Quality
Cons:
Price, but you get what you pay for

This is my first L zoom lens. I own several primes 24mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4 and 100 mm 2.8. All of which I excellent lenses in my opinion. Reading reviews on 24-105mm made me slightly concerned about sharpness and other issues of this lens. After agonizing for a couple of days I decided to go for 24-105mm. The day it arrived I went to test it against my primes. I used tripod and here what I found. At 24 mm 24-105 lens is sharper (even wide open) than 24mm prime and in my opinion has better color and contrast. My 50mm 1.4 is definitely softer at 1.4 which is to be expected. But at the same f-value zoom is identical in sharpness if not better. At 100mm 24-105 is very close in sharpness, contrast and color to 100mm2.8. 100mm2.8 is better in macro mode. It gives you better reach. CA is not an issue as far as I can tell, but I usually do not print wall size shots or zoom 600 percent to see color aberrations in the corners of my shots. So all and all as far as performance is concerned 24-105 is +/-5% of my primes. As far as comfort and versatility it is 300% above them. I am going to sell my 24mm prime, but I will keep 50mm for low light and 100mm for macros.
If you can afford it 24-105 is a very good lens.
Instead of agonizing over lenses go and shoot. Good lens will improve the quality of your shots some, but there is more to photography than gear.

Jun 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add twaver to your Buddy List
dan221081

Registered: Dec 6, 2005
Review Date: Jun 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazingly Sharp, Great Colour, Great Range on Cropped Frame and Full Frame Cameras alike.
Cons:

My first experience with L glass was with a 300 f4L and that is amazing but too long for everyday use. I knew that if I went for anything less than L glass for a walk around lens I would be disappointed so I saved a bit longer and got this one. Now I have the same amazing quality in a really great range. Using IS for when it gets darker yields great results as well.

If your considering this one or looking at the 24 - 70 F2.8L I would go for this one I never seen pictures this sharp before and so rich in colour. 10/10

Jun 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dan221081 to your Buddy List
rentedmule

Registered: Jun 13, 2008
Review Date: Jun 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, light, good zoom range.
Cons:
Daughter always wants to use it.

The perfect vacation lens. Stays on the camera 80% of the time. Light and quick. If you are going on a "pure" photography outing then its hard to beat the primes. If you are going out w/ the family and want memories then this one is hard to beat. I love my 70-200 f/2.8 IS but it is a little much to lug around. The 24-105 draws less attention than a truly big lens but still packs a big IQ punch. I am still amazed by the amount of keepers I get with then lens.

Jun 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rentedmule to your Buddy List
slapshot-66

Registered: Jun 29, 2004
Review Date: May 31, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Focal length, IS, image quality, sharpness, AF speed
Cons:
None to speak of...I mean I guess it could be an f2.8 and cost $299, but short of that, this is a killer lens!

Without a doubt, this is my new favorite zoom. While my 70-200L f2.8 is a FANTASTIC lens, the 24-105 is a great focal length, fairly light and compact and produces amazing images. When I first got this lens, I ran it through some quick test cases. Shooting wide open throughout the focal range, etc and this lens is as sharp at f4 @24mm as it is stopped down. The color and contrast are flat out amazing. Also the AF speed is very quick. I can see that this lens is going to spend a lot of time mounted on my camera. I would HIGHLY recommend this lens to anyone.

May 31, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add slapshot-66 to your Buddy List
David Murrell

Registered: Jan 26, 2007
Review Date: May 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Focal range; image stabilisation; sharpness; contrast; no obvious CA problems.
Cons:
For the price; focal range; build quality and IS, nothing. Well maybe just a tiny bit too much distortion at the wide end, and a bit of vignetting wide open on a full frame 5D but that is not disasterous.

A brilliant lens. Big enough; solid enough; sharp enough at either end (and the focal ranges in between).

Every now and then I wonder about the 24-70mm; but I know I'd miss that extra 35mm at the end more than I'd miss the extra stop.

Get in close for portraits and the bokeh is great at f4.

Yes, barrel distortion is high at the 24mm end but that can be taken into consideration when composing the photo. And it can be removed using software. Or you can use the 17-40mm lens; but to be honest I rarely use that lens now I have this one, and the 17-40mm (which I find softer, especially in the corners) is likely to be up for grabs on Ebay sometime soon.

Yes, there is vignetting wide open, but again this is not as big a problem to me as not having the right focal length on the camera.

I didn't think I'd really use IS, but it is useful. In fact I was surprised that I found it more useful than on my 300mm f4 IS lens which usually sits on a monopod and is mostly used for wildlife/action where IS is not useful.

My honest opinion is to get the 24-105 unless you shoot lots of photos with lots of action in the 24-70mm range. I prefer street/travel/potrait photography and I think this lens suits these needs better.

FYI, my gear contains:

50mm f1.4
100mm f2.8 macro
300mm f4 IS

May 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add David Murrell to your Buddy List

517 904819 Jul 19, 2014