520 906114 Sep 12, 2014
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84° - 23° 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

stargazer78

Registered: Jan 18, 2009
Review Date: Feb 19, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Versatile zoom range; Excellent build quality; Very good sharpness;
Cons:
Barrel distortion and vignetting is higher than normal;

[ Reviewed on a EOS 5D Mark II ]

I must've read every single review of the 24-105L review I could find on the Internet, including the 400+ user reviews here at FM. Quite a few people were saying that the lens becomes soft at the long end of the zoom (70mm to 105mm). And that the lens has questionable sharpness in the corners on full frame. Reviews at slrgear and photozone seemed to confirm these complaints. However, there were also plenty of people who swore that the 24-105L is edge-to-edge sharp at all focal lengths.

Needless to say, I was conflicted about buying a 24-105L. Too many conflicting opinions from too many people. After 2 years, I finally caved in and bought one for myself. And I must say I'm pleasantly surprised with the lens. It has definitely exceeded the expectations I had formed from reading so many reviews.

My thoughts? The 24-105L is one strange beast. Center sharpness does not change at all, regardless of focal length or aperture. It's amazingly consistent. Whether at 105mm @ f4.0, or 70mm @ f8.0, or 24mm @ f4.0... they all look the same when pixel peeping with a 5DII. Sharpness at the edges does improve when stopping down from f4.0, but it quickly peaks at f5.6. Overall, sharpness is remarkably consistent across all focal lengths and all apertures. It is extremely sharp in the center, and acceptably sharp along the corners. This is true pretty much for the entire zoom range. I am very, very pleased with the results.

Build quality is superb. It handles well with my 5DII, but feels oversized when mounted on my Rebel. Image stabilization works very well. Color rendition is beautiful, and contrast is just about perfect. Zoom ring is nice and stiff, and the barrel has no play or wobble.

My complaints about the lens? Barrel distortion is quite pronounced at the wide end (24mm). The distortion is easily fixed when processing RAW in DPP, but the "repaired" image will end up looking more like 26mm than 24mm. Vignetting is also disappointingly high for an f4.0 lens. I also wish the lens has a zoom lock mechanism. There's no zoom creep on the lens (yet), but I can imagine that problem developing a few years down the road. It would've been nice to have a zoom lock mechanism --- just in case.

Optical distortions are inevitable for a lens that boasts a 4.4x zoom factor. These are compromises in an ambitious lens design, so I won't hold it against Canon. Bottom line is that the 24-105L is the PERFECT zoom lens for full frame. Excellent zoom range, wide field of view, image stabilization, and sharp all the way through. What's not to like?

Feb 19, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add stargazer78 to your Buddy List
Fernando Salas

Registered: Mar 31, 2007
Location: Mexico
Review Date: Feb 15, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,059.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Excelentes imagenes, claras, colores brillantes.
Cons:
por su precio me gustaria que su construccion fuera mas robusta

Compre este lente hace 1 año 6 meses y lo he usado en diferentes situaciones, landscape, portrait en mi 5D y me ha parecido muy bueno. Imagenes claras, colores brillantes. solo me parece que por su precio canon debio de haber puesto un poco mas de empeño en su construccion, cuando usas tele la parte que sale del lente no esta completamente bien ajustada, se siente un poco suelta y eso no es muy agradable para un lente de la serie "L". Tengo el 70-200 4.0 L y nada que ver en comparacion a su construccion y no es mucha la diferencia en precio (aunque el rango es muy diferente). Pero en general es un lente muy versatil para aquel aficionado que le gusta tener un buen rango en zoom y con una calidad fotografica muy buena.

Feb 15, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fernando Salas to your Buddy List
franzoi

Registered: Aug 30, 2008
Review Date: Feb 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Lente molto versatile, stabilizzatore a 3 stop ottimo, molto leggera, qualità fantastica
Cons:
Sarebbe fantastica a f/2,8 fisso con stabilizzatore 4 stop

La lente che monto per il 90%.
Per le fotografie di viaggio è la fine del mondo.

Per chi vuol vedere qualche fotografia da mio sito

www.franzoi.eu

quasi tutte sono state fatte con questa magnificenza.

Feb 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add franzoi to your Buddy List
Claria

Registered: Jan 17, 2005
Review Date: Jan 28, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Comming from the EF 28-105mm f:3,5-4,5 mark I as my standard lens to this here is "not" to bad.... :-)) Gives me a different color tone on both my analog and digital slr. This lens is my new love. :-)
Cons:
Non

Jan 28, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Claria to your Buddy List
bklyn_g

Registered: Oct 8, 2008
Review Date: Jan 24, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Glass, IS, color, range, f4 at 105mm, very smooth action, weather sealing, durability, weight, filter size.
Cons:
f4 at the wide end, zoom creep, fairly big with hood on, but worth the penalty.

After owning the Canon 24-105 f4L IS lens for a few months I can safely say its the best lens I've ever had. It combines the usefulness of a zoom with the color and sharpness of Canon prime lenses...and it has IS, which makes the vast majority of shots keepers.

I pair it to my 50D, and was a bit concerned that I'd suffer with a not-so-wide 24mm (X1.6). At times, I do wish I had more wide end, but for the general lens tasks I use it for the focal range is adequate. It would surely be a great lens on a full frame format SLR, but I might miss the long end on the crop sensor.

The build quality is outstanding with a polished look and feel and very smooth zoom and focus ring action. The lens barrel has a nice dampened feel. Some have complained of overly stiff zoom rings. I seem to be having the opposite problem with a very loose ring and excessive zoom creep. I'll be sending it in this week for service, and Im sure it'll come back tight. The lens is also black, which is much more anonymous than a white L lens. Still, the lens looks very pro, especially with the hood, and does attract attention in what I feel is a worrysome way, particularly in urban environments. In the company of your shooting buddies, it is sufficiently swanky. For nature its amazing.

What matters most is the image, and this lens does not disappoint. The quality is simply superb, with amazing sharpness and rich subtle colors as only Canon can provide. The glass is clearly a step above the consumer grade canon lenses. In fact, I have become a prime-obsessed person, and can compare the 50mm f1.4, stopped down to f8 to this lens and the results are almost indistinguishable in terms of sharpness and color. Thing is, with this lens you can zoom, and it has IS. Of course you don't get 1.4, or even 2.8, which is clearly the weak point of this lens. But, in terms of keeper rate, I've never had so many. IS is an amazing feature that really affects results. Im officially a convert.

The down side, of course, is the aperture at the wide end. Don't plan on doing available light work indoors. People just move too much to capture a proper shot. Of course, thanks to IS, the background will be sharp! So, you can shoot static objects well, but not action of any kind. Still, having f4 at the long end is great in general photography and makes the zoom even more useful.

My cousin owns the 24-70 f2.8, which always gets compared to this lens. Its definitely bigger, heavier and has a much bigger hood. Quality is amazing, in both build and image characteristics, but I would rather have the IS than 2.8. Ill use my Sigma 30mm f1.4 or Canon 50mm f1.4 instead for low light...without IS.

In conclusion, I believe this lens is outstanding. I recommend it very highly. It, and the 50D, have provided the step I needed to take my photography to the next level. The zoom creep is annoying, but I'm guessing that a trip to Canon will solve the problem.

Here are some sample images taken recently in Argentina:

Suerte!

Jan 24, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bklyn_g to your Buddy List
ToreU58

Registered: Jan 5, 2009
Review Date: Jan 7, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,225.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Zoom range, Color, IS, Build, Price.
Cons:
IQ, Distortion, Vignetting and corner sharpness,

In general I don't like zooms down to their general ability to produce poor image quality. This on suffer from the same, however, it does somewhat better than most. For travel photography it's an ideal partner if you need to travel light. F4.0 generally does the work for you with the good high iso performance on the modern cameras. But compared to almost any fixed focal, the IQ it produces is mediocre.

I do use it from time to time for shear convenience but what generally sits on my camera are fast primes, 35, 50 and 135.

Jan 7, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ToreU58 to your Buddy List
disegno-s

Registered: Jun 15, 2008
Review Date: Jan 6, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $774.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Colors and sharpness are great !
Cons:
Would be nice to have IS mode 2 for close up panning.

I have bought this lens to fill a gap between my EF-S17-55 f/2.8 IS USM and the EF70-200 f/2.8 IS USM lens, also because it has such a nice range.

I mainly shoot cars, so the 24mm isn't too useful on a 40D during a meeting, but on a private shoot you have more space and the 24-105 is my weapon of choice (next to the 70-200).

Went for the 24-105 instead of the 24-70 because of the IS and longer range, the aperture of 'only' f/4 didn't really bother me as a mainly shoot at f/5.8 to f/8.0 anyway to get the entire car sharp on the shot.

Did a wedding for a friend with the 24-105/70-200 combo with two 40D's and the shots turned out magnificent, this lens is a keeper in my book.

Johan
www.CarPhotoTutorials.com
Automotive photography made easy

Jan 6, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add disegno-s to your Buddy List
Ozimax

Registered: Nov 2, 2003
Review Date: Dec 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Built to L standard throughout. Sharp at all FL. Best all round lens ever made. Focal length covers just about everything I need
Cons:
Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

I purchased this lens brand new in early December. I sold my 50mm F1.4 prime, which in itself was a wonderful lens, but the solitary focal length was hampering my particular style) of photography. (Build quality and AF speed left a little to be desired too. If I could have afforded it, I would have kept both, but as a frequent world traveller, I needed just one lens. I sold my 70-200 F2.8 and 50mm F1.4, and this lens is it.

It is sharp, colourful and, well, the ultimate all rounder. Buy it with confidence.

Dec 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ozimax to your Buddy List
EyeBrock

Registered: Dec 3, 2005
Review Date: Dec 18, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Light, sharp, useful IS. Excellent build quality. Great on the 5D2. Feels great on this size body.
Cons:
Not great on my 20D.

Ok, this lens is way better on my 5D2 (despite some other adverse comments). I gave it a go with misgivings, at my 9 year old son's Christmas Carol affair. I decided to crank up the ISO instead of using a flash. I'm very impressed, I got hand held images (even after a 'red bull') at a 40th, at 105 mm with 2500 ISO which were sharp and way better than my 20D at 400 and with flash.
I am now starting to really appreciate this lens. It still a 10.

Dec 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EyeBrock to your Buddy List
ComairCRJ700

Registered: Mar 14, 2008
Review Date: Dec 18, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Build Quality, Range
Cons:
Image Quality, Distortion, Corner Sharpness, Abyssmal on 5D Mark II

Absolutely abyssmal on the new 5D Mark II. Image quality comparable to the plastic kits lens that come with the older toy rebels and it is not suitable for large, professional applications. High-end equipment deserves top-notch glass and this is not it. Corner sharpness is non-existent and the distortion on the lower end destroys those focal ranges for usefulness. Even the toyish EF-S 17-55 IS tops this lens for quality. Anybody who claims this lens to be sharp either has a better copy or has not seen sharp, quality glass.

Dec 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ComairCRJ700 to your Buddy List
Mertz

Registered: Jan 11, 2005
Review Date: Nov 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image Quality, Range, IS
Cons:
Distortion at 24mm

Overall, I really have been blown away by this lens.
While not entirely flawless, it is certainly one of the best general purpose lenses I have ever owned or used. The only faults I can sight are the fact that there is some "moustache" distortion at 24mm and that the IS takes a second or so to function effectively. Other than that, the lens is gold.
The sharpness wide open blew me away from day-one. My first test shots of some pepsi cans wide open at various FLs actually produced moire on the fine print of the can. When observing portraits wide open at 100%, the amount of detail rendered in the focal plane is simply stunning. AND, the bokeh is pretty good. Maybe not 135mm f/2 good, but still very nice.
The colour and contrast are exceptional, the focal range is ideal (for me), the focus is fast and reliable, the lens is sealed and very well built. What more can I say? Excellent, excellent lens.

Nov 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mertz to your Buddy List
analycer

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Review Date: Nov 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: • Range • Sharp • No zoom creep • IS works • Price (cheaper than 24-70 F/2.8L that is)
Cons:
• Looks (compared to 24-70 F/2.8L) • Darker Viewfinder (because of F/4)

Attached to my 350D and always stays there.

Have to be picky when buying this one. The first one I tried out (code UW) was soft even at center (F/4) and has high CA on extreme edges.

I'm not sure about fullframe, but this lens gives decent range, which is more preferable over speed to me. Shoot some sports and portrait. It works really great outdoor, but not so good in low light.

Right now I don't need 70-200 F/4 IS I planned to get any more.

Nov 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add analycer to your Buddy List
avuroski

Registered: Nov 3, 2005
Review Date: Nov 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: great range, color, sharpness
Cons:
speed

Loved this lens, especially on a 40D, believe it or not. Very useful, workable combination. You lose the wide, but you still have basically a 35mm and go all the way past the 135mm portrait. So that was great. I owned the 17-55 2.8 IS first, and sold it to get this. Just liked the color and the range better. That and the IS on a lens this short is a little gimmicky - sure, it's good, but it's not really that important. Nothing like how important it is on the 70-200, for instance.

But when I got the 5D, I no longer liked the lens. It was no longer that long, but the speed was bugging me. People say this is so light, but honestly, I don't feel a big difference between this and the 24-70 I replaced it with. The 24-70, on the other hand, is my god lens. I wish I had just started there instead of going through every other lens canon makes in this range. Even sharper than the 24-105 and the 2.8 does three big things: 1) brightens your viewfinder, 2) makes focusing faster (and focusing in low light possible), and 3) makes shooting indoors at iso 1600 and 3200 a breeze. Indoors at 3200 with the 24-105 was hit or miss. It's possible, but I just didn't like it well enough to stay. The 24-70 is the real deal. It's worth the extra money.

Nov 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add avuroski to your Buddy List
hoghunter

Registered: Jul 9, 2004
Review Date: Oct 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Awesome iQ, very quiet and fast. The IS makes it like a f2.8.
Cons:

I bought this lens after purchasing ,ore than ten other lenses. I have covered the full gamut of price and quality. I only wish I had started here because I would have saved a lot of time and money. I like this lens better than my 24-70 F2.8 or my 70-200 F2.8. A friend had told me how much he liked his and I could believe it was that big a deal. This lens actually makes me a better photographer. On our recent vacation to San Francisco, I was able to get some photos that I am proud of. I know this is not uncommon for most people, but not me. I love photography, I have to to spend so much an suck so bad, but this lens is right in my sweet spot. The IS compensates for my hand shake that I didn't realize was there. The clarity of the glass like most L lenses produces tack sharp images.

I think all serious photographers should make this a number one priority for their lens choices. It covers a large range very well. I will admit, I don't do a lot of long range zoom work and if I did, I would prefer a 100-400 or at least a 70-200. But for a good walk around lens, this can't be beat.

Oct 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hoghunter to your Buddy List
overpar56

Registered: Jun 15, 2008
Review Date: Oct 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: I had mine for 2 years. Great focal length on a full frame. It is pretty much my go-to lens on my 5D. IS works great. It's not as heavy as the 24-70 2.8 so it doesn't feel that heavy. Does a nice job with portraits.
Cons:
I've had mine recalibrated for some focus issues twice. The second time at Canon CPS did the trick and it's really sharp and tracks focus well now.

Oct 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add overpar56 to your Buddy List
Rotheus Latham

Registered: Apr 24, 2007
Review Date: Sep 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, build, IS very helpful.
Cons:
None so far.

Bought this lens to replace my 28-105 II after the front element met up with a misplaced fingernail file. I'm very happy with this lens. Zoom is very smooth, focus is fast. The build quality is superb. The lens is very sharp. It is on my 20D 90% of the time.

Sep 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rotheus Latham to your Buddy List

520 906114 Sep 12, 2014