520 910849 Sep 12, 2014
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84 - 23 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

gilp_mail

Registered: Dec 20, 2004
Review Date: Mar 4, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very sharp, even at 4.0, good colors, good range
Cons:
IQ with 40d was not so great

This lens was bittersweet to my wife and I. She is a portrait photographer and I mostly landscape. We shared this lens for some time, mostly her using it. What we found was that on the 40d there was inconsistent results. Sometime the focus was off, sometime the colors were not great, other times it was awesome. I'd say the bokeh at 4.0 was just ok, not like the 70 - 200 2.8 at 4.0 which has bokeh to die for. Our 50 1.4 at 4.0 kills this lens, not even comparable.

Then I had the chance to try this out on a 5d..BIG DIFFERENCE. Consistently better shots all the way around. Even the bokeh was better at 4.0.

After going through many many lenses on the 40d, the 30d the rebel and trying things out on the 5d, I've just come to the conclusion that not every lens that canon makes, even L's, is good on ever camera they make. The 17 - 40 was the same way, good but not great. Fantastic on the 5d and actually fantastic on the Rebel.

Buyers should take note of this when researching lenses.

Mar 4, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gilp_mail to your Buddy List
EdwinCanon

Registered: Mar 3, 2010
Review Date: Mar 3, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Great Image Quality, weather proof, very versatile, IS, USM.
Cons:
on crop sensor 24mm isn't really wide.

I traded in my EF-S 17-55mm for th EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM because I wanted more zoom than the 55mm. Also I wanted an L lens because of the weather and dust sealing and together with my EOS 7D I now don't have to worry so much about rain and dust.

Th IQ is very great, I really like this lens. Here are some sample shots I took in the past weeks:

The only thing I miss is the wide aperture of 2.8, but when inside I now use the 50mm 1.4.

Mar 3, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EdwinCanon to your Buddy List
sigbusyff

Registered: Oct 21, 2005
Review Date: Feb 18, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, great AF, very versatile.
Cons:
Zoom range cramped at the long end.

Many reviews of this lens seem lukewarm and make criticisms you'd see from the test charts: plenty of distortion on the wide end, not sharp corner-to-corner wide open, etc. Thus I was prepared to be unimpressed when trying this out with my new 5D.

However, peeking at test charts fails to convey what an incredible bit of kit this is in the field. On full frame, the flexibility is awesome - all the way up to perfect portrait length, and out plenty wide enough. Frankly, you don't spot those test chart weaknesses in the field; stopped down to f/8, it's impressively sharp at all focal lengths.

For the price, you're getting awesome optical quality, a 4x zoom range from a wide starting point, rock-solid build quality, and a couple of other things people sometimes forget to mention: very precise AF and a good image stabiliser. On full-frame I can always get sharp shots at 105mm and 1/15th, and usually at 1/8th, which is 2.5-3.5 stops improvement, as advertised.

The only niggle is the zoom ring. It's pretty obvious from using this thing that you're moving around a lot of glass. 24 and 35 are almost right next to each other on the zoom ring, so zooming needs a light touch on the long end.

All in all, my expectations were not that high for this lens, but it's blown me away thus far.

Feb 18, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sigbusyff to your Buddy List
fusionphoto

Registered: Apr 16, 2005
Review Date: Feb 10, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Light and well built
Cons:
None yet

I have had this lens only a few weeks after having a rather major accident with my 28-70 f2.8 which was terminal (for the lens, bo hoo, but up to now I have not been dissapointed with this purchase. It sharp and usable even at f4 and the IS is good in low light situation without moving subject. Have not give it a full run down yet but will write a further review when I have had the opportunity to scrag it...

Feb 10, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fusionphoto to your Buddy List
Venus

Registered: Aug 15, 2005
Review Date: Jan 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Good built quality - no arguments about that. Image stabiliser is really handy at the times when you need it. Not too heavy and balances nicely on 5D2 and other crop D series DSLRs. Convenient focal length range.
Cons:
Not really sharp wide open.

I had this lens for a while now but haven't used it much until recently when I did some freelance events photography work - sort of out of retirement thingy. I had forgotten how much I paid for it but it definitely cost a bit more than my 17-40.

This is a "jack-of-all trades" lens that is particularly useful for the photojournalist or 'one lens traveller'. For best results, stop down at least one or two stops. At F8, it produces good results. That's not to say you can't take pictures at F4. Like those once in a lifetime news moment when you have to use at F4 ... you know what I mean.

Imagine what you have - 24, 35, 50, 85 and 105 all in one! Of course you can't except each focal length to have the IQ of the primes I mentioned!

If I am hard pressed to carry only one lens, I would take this and use it effectively.

Jan 28, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Venus to your Buddy List
Jesper

Registered: Sep 9, 2003
Review Date: Jan 19, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Very good build quality, weather sealed, good zoom range, very sharp (even at f/4), good contrast
Cons:
Vignetting on the wide end, even when stopped down

I'm using this lens on a full-frame camera (the 5D). I mainly do travel photography, where I usually don't have a lot of time to carefully set up a shot: I often need to capture moments quickly.

The zoom range of this lens is nice; I like the fact that it goes up to 105mm, and I would feel restricted by for example a 24-70. The build quality of this lens is very good, it feels very solid and the weather sealing is very useful to keep out dust and moisture.

It's an L lens, which means that I expect the lens to have great image quality across the whole zoom range and aperture range. With regard to sharpness and contrast it meets my expectations - even wide open the sharpness is very good, and colors are vivid and have good contrast.

However, this lens is not perfect. One major flaw is that it vignettes quite a lot on the wide end, between 24mm and approximately 30mm. Even when stopped down to for example f/8 the vignetting is very apparent at 24mm. I find this disappointing for an L lens. You probably won't notice the vignetting at all when using this lens on a camera with a crop factor.

Jan 19, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jesper to your Buddy List
skippie101

Registered: Sep 29, 2009
Review Date: Oct 29, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, beautifull colours, versatile, IS, weight
Cons:
barrel distortion at 24-30mm, zoom-end spontaneously extends while you carry it.

If you have doubts between this lens and the 24-70L; here's my end of the story.
I think if the 24-105L wouldn't have been sold as a "kit" lens, a lot of people would consider this lens more often. I tried 4 copies of the 24-70L. Why? Cause everyone I spoke to told me that this was the professional lens. The 24-105L would be more suitable for upgraded amateurs (which I consider myself amongst). But having tried 3 (!) copies and none of them produced satisfying IQ, I decided to try the 24-105L. So glad I did.
Besides the absolute satisfying quality it produces on my 5D, it's also versatile to me, I have no need for any other lenses, except the 50mm f/1.4 for extreme low-light situations.

Would recommend this any day to anyone.

Oct 29, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add skippie101 to your Buddy List
buddyRoland

Registered: Oct 30, 2008
Review Date: Sep 25, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,219.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Clear, crisp photos. Decent performance in areas with little light. IS enhances the f4.0 medium aperture.
Cons:
None really.

I had this lens on back order through the military / post exchange (PX, I am retired Army). After waiting over 3 weeks I started changing my mind after reading about the superior performance of the 24-70 2.8. I sent an email to cancel this lens and ordered my 24-70 from another vendor. The 24-70 arrived and was above and beyond what I expected. The 24-70 gave me excellent photos. I called about my 24-105 and asked about the cancellation but they said it had been sent anyway. After waiting another week to receive it, it arrived via USPS.

Let me say I considered refusing the lens and letting it go back but now, after trying it out, it's staying. This lens produce some stunning photos. It's also lighter than the 24-70. With the versatility, I will keep both. This will be my walk around lens, rotating with my 17-40, but occupying the main spot. I am glad I have it. Now if I could just get the 70-200 2.8. My experience with this lens shows me you can't believe everything you read.

Sep 25, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add buddyRoland to your Buddy List
nickjohnson

Registered: Sep 15, 2009
Review Date: Sep 19, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: good walk around / single lens solution, fine build, good IQ for range. IS is a real benefit.
Cons:
bit heavy with front heavy balance, complex distortion at some FL's, some IQ inconsistency

Common to all reports

This is my attempt to give something back to the forum members who have provided this wonderful resource. I found much here that helped with my lens selection. So over the last 1 to 2 years here is what I used all on a pair of 5D bodies. (My comments will be subjective and personal. I will try to avoid saying anything that cannot be read in the spec sheets).

17-40 L
24-105 L IS
70-200 f4 L IS
180 L Macro
400 f5.6 L
50 f1.8 mkII
Sigma 50 f2.8 Macro EX

24-105 L IS
Overall a very well judged set of compromises. The IS is a real aid to getting sharp pictures. For some this may be all the lens they will ever need. Over half my keepers are taken with this lens.

Used hand held for walk around, gardens, and most everything really Typically used at f8 to f16.

IQ is good overall and about all one can reasonably expect. A3 prints no problem A2 with a little extra pp work. Some CA - ease to correct. Occasional purple fringe has to be painted out !

Sep 19, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nickjohnson to your Buddy List
jankson

Registered: Sep 4, 2009
Review Date: Sep 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: 24-90 is it very good on my 5DMKII
Cons:
Only f4.0 and not so sharp at 95-105

I get my with the camera in a kit,and i love it.
It become less than half price on it than(In Sweden okt 2009 (1700$) Kit 5DMKII + EF24-105 in okt 2008 (4485$) and okt 2009 (5197$)

Sep 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jankson to your Buddy List
Haring

Registered: Sep 11, 2009
Review Date: Sep 11, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: slow
Cons:
good range

The 24-105 I mostly used it for wedding photography on a 5D. Then I decide to sell because the f/4 is slow. I bought a 24 70mm L instead. If you want to see samples: www.haringphotography.com Look for the interior pictures.

Sep 11, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Haring to your Buddy List
ashley

Registered: Feb 14, 2003
Review Date: Sep 6, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, image stabilisation, focal range, fast precise focus, superb quality between 35-85mm at all apertures. Incredible anti flare capabilities.
Cons:
Slight distortion at 24mm and not at its sharpest there either. 105mm not brilliant until stopped down a bit. A tendency towards chromatic aberration that is not seen in my prime lenses, but easy enough to fix during processing. Although it's a great lens, it's still rather expensive.

I purchased this lens a few months back as a replacement for my Tamron 28-75mm and I have been extremely happy. I have posted a full review on my blog at:

Sep 6, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ashley to your Buddy List
terrett101

Registered: May 18, 2008
Review Date: Aug 12, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $910.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great build quality, very sharp, nice if not outstanding bokah at f4.0. Really good focal length range, this is the lens I keep on the camera body most of the time. I previously had a Tamron consumer lens with a long focal range 28-300. That could produce some really nice shots, but you had to carefully watch the f stop, as it was capable of disappointing softness fully open. The Canon lens is everything I was looking for, and never mind the narrower focal range - these are the focal lengths you will want to use most. And the final bonus - I bought it on eBay, just a year old in absolutely perfect condition.
Cons:
It's a bit heavy, and on a Rebel body the camera is front loaded, but this is not a big deal.

Aug 12, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add terrett101 to your Buddy List
JRKO

Registered: Jan 12, 2009
Review Date: Aug 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Standard zoom that sets the standard!
Cons:
people complaining about what it can't do......

24-105 on a full frame camera with IS and a constant F4

Who cares if it has some distortion or is not an f2.8 - once you know how to get the best out of it you don't care.

My first L lens and still the one I leave on my camera when packing it away - ready for the next time

Here are a couple of shots:

St Paul's at 1/13th, F4, ISO 1250 at 58mm hand held on a 5D at 02:49am!!

Pole Pole stage on the last night of the Ghent Jazz Festival at 1/13th, F8, ISO 1250 at 24mm taken hand held on a 5D

Aug 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JRKO to your Buddy List
bradc

Registered: Aug 10, 2009

Pros: Build quality, sharpness, lightweight (for L lens), close focus capability
Cons:
Purple fringing

This is a lens I went back and forth on for a long time. I have the 17-55 EF-S lens, and a 70-200mm f/4 that I use on a crop body. I love the 17-55, but wanted something tougher for travel and more telephoto. I've seen mixed reviews both really positive and not. When these started getting sold separately from the new 5D at a price discount I decided it was time to go for it. It has turned out to match my needs perfectly. While the 17-55 is excellent AND faster, it isn't as tough and is a little short for my purposes (portraits/family). When indoors I tend to make use of flash or switch to a prime so the f/4 tradeoff was worth it (versus say the 24-70 f/2.8).

I like the quality, the weight is just right, and the lens delivers in sharpness. My only complaint would be some fringing when wide open with high contrast areas. Pretty common in lenses at the wide end, but I'd hoped the f/4 max aperture would do better. In practice it doesn't come up much, as I tend avoid washed out skies anyways, but it can be dealt with in post processing if needed. Some say this focal length range isn't good on a crop body, but it suits me fine. It spends so much time on the camera I hardly need another lens.

Aug 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bradc to your Buddy List
Canon ball

Registered: Jan 19, 2008
Review Date: Jul 28, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Focal range, F4, build quality, versatility, image quality
Cons:
F4!

This lens is a top quality 'does it all' lens. I shoot people (family), landscape and occasionally sport, and have got great results with this lens with all three. The pictures are rich and contrasty with satisfactory bokeh.

It is more than acceptably sharp for it's uses.

F4 being constant is great, but it is a rather slow lens indoors, when high ISO is going to negate that great image quality. With good indoor lighting or bounce flash, it performs well.

Build quality is superb, it feels very solid and balances the camera very well.

A superb general purpose zoom.

Jul 28, 2009