517 902709 Jul 19, 2014
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84° - 23° 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

Page:  30 · 31 · 32 · 33  next

sprocket01

Registered: Jul 19, 2005
Review Date: Oct 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great IS, a good range, fairly lightweight, very sharp, good contrast,perfect walk around lens.
Cons:
the price. But hey, you gotta pay up to get first in line for this great lens

I have only had the lens for about a week, and so far I'm more then happy. To be honest I'm ecstatic about image quality the lens makes. I haven't been able to test it thoroughly yet, but what I have seen so far makes it a sure winner in my eyes. even considering the hefty pricetag. And I have not noticed any softness at any focallength og apertures, not even at 105mm f/4. Perhaps I just got lucky and got perfect copy of this lens. But a lot of other peoply seams to be happy about this lens too. And IS works like a charm as well. So if you got the money to spend, I can highly recommend this lens any day of the week.

Oct 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sprocket01 to your Buddy List
Fred Bopp

Registered: Jan 2, 2002
Review Date: Oct 15, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,200.00

Pros: Size, build & color. IS works well
Cons:
Overpriced @ $1200 should be about $900USD Lens is too slow @ f4.0

Recommended for casual walkabout use where there is good light. The lens is sharp and has good contrast. Works well on all my Canon EOS DSLR's. On 5D with FF it does have some easy to correct vignetting.
I use my 24-70 for event work as it is a faster lens and this makes a difference in my type of work.
If I had to choose between the 24-105 and the 24-70 I would take the 24-70 hands down. It is just a far better lens and worth it's cost. The 24-105, IMHO, is not worth the price to me.

Oct 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fred Bopp to your Buddy List
Fred Bopp

Registered: Jan 2, 2002
Review Date: Oct 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Size and build. Sharp. Black color
Cons:
Overpriced. Should be about $900USD Too slow @ f4.0

I recommend this lens with reservations:
Good for shooting in daylight for panoramas and as a walkabout lens when traveling.

Not good for any low light shooting like indoor events where flash is prohibited. It is just not fast enough.

Tried it on my 1D Mk2 and 5D with good results within the ability of the lens. If you are going to use it for general shooting with good light you will get very good results. If I had to choose between my 24-70 2.8 and the 24-105 4.0 I would take the 24-70 hands down.

Oct 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fred Bopp to your Buddy List
akivisuals

Registered: Nov 11, 2003
Review Date: Oct 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight, range, sharpness, contrast, color, IS!
Cons:
Price, f4

After buying two 24-70L's and one 28-70L I finally tried this new 24-105L IS to try to supplant my trusty Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di. I think I've finally found a lens that can do that. My little Tammy was sharper than all 3 of my Canon L zooms but after doing a quick little comparison with the new 24-105L I've found a new winner! I'm REALLY excited because I really wanted a lens that has IS, quick Canon USM focusing and L-quality glass to replace the Tamron. Don't get me wrong, the Tamron is a great little lens and extremely sharp, but I really wanted IS and better focus speed. The range is also much more versatile and the lens is much lighter than the 24-70L which I traded away to get this lens. I'll miss the extra stop but the 3 extra stops of handholdability are well worth it IMHO.

What I noticed in my comparison is that the Tamron almost always exposes at 1/3rd stop faster than the Canon choices. I don't know why that is, but it just does. Also, the Tamron has a slightly warmer color balance. The contrast of the Canon is better and the color is also much better straight out of the camera IMHO. I'm incredibly happy that I found this lens! It's going to be on my walkabout camera 90% of the time as my Tamron was, but will get more use with the IS and added range. Now the gap between my 10-22 and 24-105 is a meager 2mm vs 4mm. And the overlap for long lenses is 35mm instead of 5mm.

In my 3 years on this board I've never posted a review here before, but I was so pleased by this Canon offering that I felt it to be my obligation to post these thoughts here! Get one.

Oct 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add akivisuals to your Buddy List
tanglefoot47

Registered: Oct 12, 2004
Review Date: Oct 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,099.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight, IS, great color and contrast, well built. This lens will become my favorite walk around lens. I sold my 24-70 2.8 with great regret but after using it I am very happy.
Cons:
COST

Oct 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tanglefoot47 to your Buddy List
Jiggytrav

Registered: Sep 1, 2004
Review Date: Oct 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp from 24-70mm wide open Image Stabilization works as advertised (up to 3 stops) Great range on FF, decent range on 1.6x crop Excellent build quality, as expected from an "L" It's a great "walk-around" lens
Cons:
Slightly soft from 80-105mm wide open, better stopped down a bit Expensive Some barrel distortion/pincushion

While I could easily sugarcoat my review and say this lens is the greatest thing since sliced bread, it wouldn't be fair to those seeking an honest evaluation. Instead, I'd like to point out its strengths and weaknesses based on usage with the Canon 20D:

THE GOOD:

1) WIDE OPEN (24-70mm). Wide open (F4) performance is great at 24-70mm. At this range, the lens really excels in sharpness and detail. I would be so bold as to say the sharpness of the 24-105 wide open at F4 rivals my 35 F1.4L stopped down to F4 - it's that good. The sweet spot seems to be between 35-55mm (perhaps with sharpness peaking at 50mm). Also, corner sharpness on the 20D (as expected) is very good.

2) RANGE and IMAGE STABILIZATION. On a FF camera, the range would be perfect, though it's still very useful on a 20D if you have a wider lens to supplement it. I have the Tokina 12-24 F4 to go along with this, and I think they will be a great combination. That said, the range at 1.6x will be sufficient for 90% of the shots I take. The IS is no surprise really, it works as advertised and will come in handy quite often.... though not for shots of my kids! ;-)

3) CA/PF. Surprisingly, CA/PF seems to be VERY rare - and I have looked for it in all of my shots. You won't see any of that nasty stuff you see on some lenses with wider apertures (my 35L has some heavy CA at F1.4-2 for example). I would not be afraid of using this lens wide open at any time because of concern for CA.

4) BUILD QUALITY. Build quality is excellent, as you would expect from an "L" at this price point. The zoom is just right - not too stiff (it was a little stiff at first), not too loose to cause zoom creep. The lens is hefty, but not too heavy for a "walkaround" lens. I'm hoping to use this lens for years to come, and there is no indication that it won't last for years. The lens comes with a hood and pouch. I'm also using a multicoated UV filter for protection.

5) COLOR/CONTRAST. Obviously this is something that is subjective and can always be corrected in post-processing, but this lens gives some very good results straight out of the camera. Though I don't always agree that the difference is major, I have to admit that the "L" lenses do have an edge here.

THE BAD:

1) WIDE OPEN (80-105mm). I have noticed some softeness with this lens wide open at longer focal lengths (105mm in particular). It's not unusable by any means, but definitely not as sharp as the shorter range. Stopping down the lens improves the sharpenss a great deal, however.

2) DISTORTION. As many other reviews have noted, there is some barrel and pincushion distortion. This may be a concern for those who shoot architecture or subjects with important lines, but it will not be a concern for most shots. I have not done any tests to measure the distortion, but I thought I'd mention it because it seems to be a bit more than the 24-70 F2.8.

3) PRICE. $1100-1250 is a lot of money for a lens, and I would hope the price comes down a bit after us "early-adopters" snatch up the early shipments. However, with a contrant F4, a decent zoom range, IS, and L quality, its worth seems to be significant.

OVERALL: With a great range, excellent build, useful IS, and exceptional optics (especially in the 24-70 range), this lens is a real winner. It will certainly be used on my 20D more often than not.

Oct 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jiggytrav to your Buddy List
james lander

Registered: Aug 26, 2003
Review Date: Oct 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good size and weight. Resolution as good wide open as stopped down to F8. Ideal partner for IDS Mk ii.
Cons:
CA at 24mm at extreme edge with a full frame camera, not improved by stopping down.

A bargain when compared to the 24-70. A plaeasure to use.

Oct 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add james lander to your Buddy List
jonbrach

Registered: Dec 22, 2004
Review Date: Oct 7, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,249.00

Pros: sharpness,reach,build quality,IS
Cons:
none so far

im impressed...the lens is as sharp as my good copy of the 24-70 2.8 with additional reach and an incredibly effective IS...in fact,the IS works so well that it will be difficult for me to shoot with my other non-IS L len's.i see this lens spending alot of time on my 20d

Oct 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jonbrach to your Buddy List
jonbrach

Registered: Dec 22, 2004
Review Date: Oct 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,249.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lens build,sharpness,IS
Cons:
none as of yet

Perhaps I have gotten a superb copy of this lens but i must rave about it anyway.I currently own the 135 2.0,the 200 2.8,the 35 1.4,the 70-200 4.0 and i used to own the 70-200 2.8 IS and the 24-70 2.8 so i am no stranger to L len's.I have only owned this lens for a short time but so far I am thrilled.I find the sharpness on par with the 24-70,the build quality is typical L and the IS is truly exceptional.I was able to shoot pictures of very detailed objects at 1/10 second and get wonderfully sharp images.In fact,the IS works so well and is such a positive factor that i now find it difficult to use a non IS lens.This lens adds length to the 24-70,keeps the sharpness and adds invaluable IS which to me clinches the deal.Perhaps over time i will uncover problems but as of now Im a big fan.Yes,it is expensive but if you are serious about your photography it is worth it....a winner.

Oct 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jonbrach to your Buddy List
sjms

Registered: Mar 20, 2003
Review Date: Oct 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: lighter, smaller, and and excellent range. then they throw in the IS. well someone was thinking at canon
Cons:
just the obvious one. you know the slightly large empty space where once cold hard cash occupied.

what can i say. my new standard lens

Oct 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sjms to your Buddy List
Jamse

Registered: Aug 4, 2005
Review Date: Oct 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great range. Sharp wide open. Stellar image quality with very good contrast. Fast focus and excellent IS. Very good build quality.
Cons:
Perhaps the zoom is a little "tight" right out of the box but that changed over a few days.

Very nice lense. It isn't exactly lightweight, but not heavy either. It is easy to carry around on my 300D and i repeatedly smile when looking at my images. Only other L-lens i own is the 70-200 f:4. The 24-105 is every bit as good.

Oct 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jamse to your Buddy List
francishmt

Registered: Feb 3, 2005
Posts: 1922
Review Date: Sep 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything.
Cons:
Nothing.

Love it! Perfect lens!

Sep 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add francishmt to your Buddy List
Zeder

Registered: Aug 22, 2005
Review Date: Sep 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: VERY VERY sharp! Supurb color/contrast, fast/silent AF, and the IS is leaps and bounds better that the 28-135 IS I had! An absolute joy to use!
Cons:
$$$

Hello,
Well I got a call from my local dealer yesterday, my 24-105L IS was waiting for me! I jumped in my car to go take a look. I told myself on the drive down, I would look/test then MAYBE... buy. I have been agonising over this lens and the 24-70L 2.8. Which I demo'd for all of last week. I tested 24-105L store lens, which was about 2 hours old, while the salesman went to get mine from the back, all I can say is WOW! I happened to have my 20D with me, bonus, when he returned he had brought a big box of them. They where still on the shipping dock in receiving. He kindly let me try 4 brand new lenses and let me use the store computer to do some pix peeping, it appears Canon has got their act together with the QC on this lens. All 5 lenses were the same! I mean we really could not find any difference between them. We tried all different apertures, f4-f22 @ 24mm, 50mm 105mm with my camera on a tripod. I used my remote with the mirror lockup function ON. No mirror slap, and no hand movement, the IS OFF. The results from this lens have blown me away. I wanted to test it against the store 24-70L but after close to 2 hours of swapping lenses and uploading to the store computer I though I wouldn't push my luck with this guy. So I bought it! The store has a 15 day no questions asked return policy. This lens has completed, well for now, my setup. I have the 10-22mm EFS, now this 24-105L, and a 75-300 IS. I had a 17-40L also an f4, 2 weeks ago, another great lens, but it didn't have enough reach for me. Very sharp lens, but IMO this one beats it hands down, and the IS is a big bonus for me! I took some quick shots of a new Porches in a near by parking stall with the IS on, hand held, started @ f4 and stopped it down to f22 with individual shots. Looking at the pictures on my computer, I am VERY VERY satisfied. I really suggest you try this lens if you are thinking about getting the 24-70L 2.8, while it is a different creature, for me, the 24-105L is the way to go. It balances great on my 20D, the 70mm just a little too much for me. Build quality is excellent for both, I mean they are L’s. It’s pricy but I am one happy camper! I will follow up in a few days of real world shooting. TRY IT! YOU'LL LIKE IT!

Sep 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Zeder to your Buddy List
albertomonte

Registered: Sep 19, 2005
Review Date: Sep 28, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: colori plastici e pastello-contrasto quanto basta- uno sfocato esemplare riprendi il cielo e vedrai venor fuori una pennellata limpida - satura e luminosa. Velocissimo nella messa a fuoco. Il suo impianto di stabilizzazione d'avanguardia ti offre sicurezza e ti consente riprese nitidissime anche con tempi di otturazione molto bassi. Non eccessivamente pesante come il 24-70 2,8, a 24mm non mostra alcun flare in controluce nè luci parassite la sua lunga escursione ti risparmia la conduzione di diversi obiettivi e, comunque con un 17-40 il 24-105 e un 70-200 i giochi sono fatti.
Cons:
Anche se correggibile, presenta una fastidiosa distorsione a botte di circa il 2% alla focale 24mm nonchè una certa vignettatura anch'essa eliminabile con photoshop

ampiamente soddisfatto

Sep 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add albertomonte to your Buddy List
Martin L

Registered: Sep 22, 2005
Review Date: Sep 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Covers the range I most of the time using. L-lens really stunning. Weight just about right for me taking very stabilized shots. Great quality photos way far better than my kit lens.
Cons:
Price on high side. F/4 only (don't mind having heavier and larger lens if F-number smaller)

Have been using kit-lens of 350D for months, and the plastic 50mm f/1.8 II and Tamron 28-200mm. Feels like having shots not as stunning as I'd expect from a DSLR....looks like nearly the same as my digital IXUS...

Thought it may be related to my rough skills needing refinement, until I get this 24-105 L f/4 lens....Photos are getting much richer and I get amazed at what my DSLR (and probably my skills :-) ) can do for me!

Have taken whole lots of landscape photos and the results are just different. Richer, deeper, and more stunning. I am sure I won't have my photographic skills improving drastically within one day so the big differences in image quality before and after getting this lens should have a significant part played by the lens.

Concerning IS feature... I am sure a lot of people find it useful and it definitely has its use (and 'selling point' in terms of marketing by Canon)....To me, on the contrary, I don't have as much 'addiction' to it. I consider myself a rather 'stable hand' photographer and IS have not been giving significant impact on my day-in day-out photography. I will see in coming months and may change my mind.

L-lens disease/syndrome...have been hearing this for some time, and I deliberately pay a lot more to taste this... no regrets, and if Canon has made L lens in that 10-22mm range I will definitely go for that without delay. I'm still pretty reluctant to get that EF-S 10-22 which may not last and which only works for a few bodies, and i expect myself getting 5D or 1D series in coming year or so... don't want' to waste the lens indeed.

BTW I am not a professional photographer earning a living with photos; just a person taking lots of landscapes and plants pictures...L lenses results will definitely satisfy your need if you belong to my same category :-) Forget about the pricy thing and go for it!

Sep 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Martin L to your Buddy List
dphototeam

Registered: May 19, 2005

Pros: Sharp, great range, IS is WONDERFULL
Cons:
Expensive..

With 17-40mm and 100-400mm, now i'm very well covered from 17-400mm.. The IS is a BIG plus in this lens. Wish it was faster, but then I guess it would be way more expensive... Sad

bottom line: I'M HAPPY !

Posted up some samples with 350D and 20D here: http://www.dphotojournal.com/canon-ef-24-105mm-f4l-is-usm/

Sep 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dphototeam to your Buddy List

517 902709 Jul 19, 2014