528 942460 Aug 31, 2016
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84 - 23 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

Page:  30 · 31 · 32 · 33  next

thenomad

Registered: Nov 24, 2005
Review Date: Nov 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: solid, range, set F-stop from 24mm to 105mm, image stabilizer, nice feel
Cons:
not noticeably sharper than the 17-85mm at half the price, not consistent in focus, not sharp at F4.0, price considering quality of lens.

I received this lens yesterday after a 50 day back order wait.
My hope was that it would be as sharp as my Canon 50m 1.4 at the same 50mm setting and same F-stop. (Its not prime lens, but it is supposed to be an L lens.) Its not very sharp full open (but then neither is the 50mm below F2.8). I took a series of pictures during a light cloudy day at 400 ASA with my D20 without a tripod comparing the Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 17-85mm and this lens. (I chose to shoot without a tripod because most of my work is without a tripod.) I photographed text and flowers all at the 50mm range from full open to F 8.0. I viewed each image side by side with the same F-stop at full resolution with a high quality computer monitor. While non of the lenses was completely consistent in its ability to focus on each flower I found that the 50mm lens performed the best and that the 17-85mm actually focused a bit better than the 24-105. The sharpness of both lenses was about the same.

Note that I didnt not compare color or contrast in these tests, simply sharpness. In conclusion, I need to do some more tests (low light, moving objects, etc), but so far Im not that impressed with this lens. It feels a lot more solid than the 17 to 85mm and I appreciate the consistent 4.0 F-stop, but unless it grows on me (or I upgrade to the Canon D5), Ill probably return it soon.

Nov 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add thenomad to your Buddy List
Gil H

Registered: Feb 13, 2005
Review Date: Nov 20, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,250.00

Pros: The Best all around Canon Lens specifications, Great Image stabilizer, L lens, great range 24-104, weighs a lot less and shorter than the bulky 24-70.
Cons:
Even though I have a post recall copy (past UT1000 as stated by Canon recall) I get significantly more flaring than my 24-70, disapointing pictures.

After spending the whole day shooting with this lens and comparing the results with my 24-70 Canon lens I can say the following.
1) It is a lot lighter than the 24-70, but still very heavy.
2) The added range is very welcome, but if it had a wider than 24 angle it would be great on the 20D, since the 1.6 factor makes it a 38.4 equivalent which is barely wide angle.
3) it focuses very fast and quietly
4) very strong solid construction
5) not fast as the 24-70 for indoor photography without use of a flash
6)out of the 300 pictures I took a very high % of them was slightly out of focus, I updated the camera firmware to 2.03, reset all the camera settings to factory default and still many pictures were not knife sharp, tried using f8 and higher to get a greater depth of field and still regular portraits were not sharp as I expected them to be when using my 24-70
7) Pictures came unusually grainy even though I usually used ISO 100, when I used a flash I used mostly my 580 Canon flash with fresh batteries
8) contrast on the pictures was unusually high

needless to say I am very disappointed, and if I could rerate this article I would give it a 7

I want to make one thing clear, the results were not terrible, but were unacceptable for an L lens that cost $1250

I want to love this lens, I fell in love withe the specifications, but I did not see the results. and my lens is a post recall lens
with control number higher than UT1000.

check

I will call Canon and ask for possible explanation.

Perhaps someone here has a good explanation? am I doing something wrong?

Nov 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gil H to your Buddy List
Gil H

Registered: Feb 13, 2005
Review Date: Nov 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great Image Stabilizer, great range 24-105, much lighter and smaller than my bulky 24-70. this IS the all around lens we have all been waiting for
Cons:
F4, for the price tag they could have made it an f2.8 and replace the 24-70, or at the very least I wish it had 17-105 to

I ordered this lens about 2 weeks ago and I was told that it is recalled

I was shocked to see the FedEx guy deliver it 2 days ago, so I imediately checked my control number that it was less than UT1000. I had UT1004.....
I also called Canon and they told me that U stands for the plant name, T stands for 2005, 10 means October, and 04 means something Canon will not tell me.

So far I shot about 100 pictures and the image stabilizer allowed me to have perfect still images at 1/8 which is amazing (at 105 focal length)
I have a 20D camera and I usually get amazing pictures withit, however I was very disappointed with the picture quality,especially with my 70-200 f4 lens, the pictures I took with the 24-105 seem very grainy at ISO 100 and with my other lenses I never had this problem, I will take some more pictures today and I will have a better test, most of the shots I took were indoor with a 580 flash.
I did test my copy for the advertised flare problem and did not see any flare, so I know that I have a good copy.
I hope that Canon did not put a different glass to fix the problem, and degrade the lens to a non L lens.
I am giving Canon the benefit of the doubt and I hope that when I take more outdoor pictures I will change my mind, on paper this is the perfect lens

Nov 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gil H to your Buddy List
musicjohn

Registered: Sep 14, 2005
Review Date: Nov 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great lens. Very sharp, even at f/4
Cons:

I've owned this lens now for a month, and I have never seen such sharp pictures come rolling out of my memorycards.

The Image Stabiliser is a great feature when lighting conditions are far from optimal.

The lens isn't cheap, but definately worth every penny. Works very well on my EOS 350D

For sample pictures you can look at my homepage:

www.johnenarie.com

and click on the button "Foto's" or Fotoshows" on the left hand side menu.

I could definately recommend this lens to anyone who seeks a great, sharp, contrasty and true-color lens.

Nov 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add musicjohn to your Buddy List
fotografz

Registered: Mar 11, 2003
Review Date: Oct 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $985.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: The one to have if you're only having one. Smaller size is worth the penalty of f/4, but IS helps make up for even that. Close focusing ability.
Cons:
Distortion, but I've come to expect that from any Canon wide. A bit dimmer viewfinder due to f/4 max aperture. Still don't like the lens extending out of it's main body as you zoom.

I got this lens primarily for general wedding photography. Combined with the 5D, it cuts down on the weight I have to carry for 7 to 10 hours at a crack. The zoom range is almost perfect, with a longer focal length the only supplemental lens needed ( or faster aperture lenses for shallower DOF ). However, I've been mildly impressed with the DOF of this lens at 105 because you can get in pretty tight on the subject.

I'm not a fan of zooms in general, but I am of this one for the practical applications listed above.

Oct 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fotografz to your Buddy List
paymenow

Registered: Oct 29, 2005
Review Date: Oct 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: great lens that handles well, it's sharp, and has true image color.
Cons:
none yet

people say, you get what you pay for..... and this is no exception. Yes, I paid a lot for this lens, but it is worth every cent. I have read many articles stating how this lens preforms in certain test(good and bad), but the bottom line......canon made a dam good lens.

If you are thinking about buying this len, go for it..... or buy a cheaper lens and correct the image in photoshop.

Oct 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add paymenow to your Buddy List
jan zlin

Registered: Oct 23, 2005
Review Date: Oct 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Professional lens for all-around use in many situations. I LOVE the sharpens and color rendition on my images produced by this lens. Very pleased to have it on my new 5D body all the time.
Cons:
Any.

Oct 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jan zlin to your Buddy List
frenchy2

Registered: Oct 21, 2005
Review Date: Oct 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,220.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Exceptionally sharp, very good IS, nice color.
Cons:
Price, f/4, little soft at 105mm, did i mention price ?

Great for the 1.6x sensor. My new walkaround lens !

Oct 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add frenchy2 to your Buddy List
Zagisis

Registered: Mar 29, 2005
Review Date: Oct 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Smaller, lightweight, quiet focus.
Cons:
Cost, Needs light

After much hoopla, the Canon EF lens, 24-105mm F4L USM is available. The supplies are limited, some stores are back ordered until late November 2005.

Which much anticipation I waited to receive and try out this "walk around" lens. The features like Image Stabilizer is suppose to give the equivalent effect of a shutter three stops faster. The USM for fast, quiet focusing which it does. Manual focusing is available in autofocusing mode. Tight seals to ensure dust proof, moisture protection. All of this is already available on other Canon L lens.

This lens has been on my Canon 1D MK II for 8 days now. I like the lens, more for its size than its ability to provide sharp quality images. So far I kind would have liked this lens to have an constant aperture of 2.8. It does not do well in cloudy or darkly light subjects. The constant 4.0 opening tends to produce softer photos. The middle ranges are probably where I see better results. I write all of this with some hesitation. I am hoping with some real outdoors shooting that I will be a big fan of this lens. The quiet focusing is almost too fast. It makes it feel like the camera or lens has not reacted to the subject. Something that I have to get used to.

Having already owning the Canon 70-200mm 2.8L lens, I have to make some comparisons. Although this larger and heavier lens is more expensive, its does produce some quality photos. Being fair to the new 24-105 lens, I must give it some more time to win my confidence. As of this point I pray that my investment will pay off.

Oct 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Zagisis to your Buddy List
thompsonkirk

Registered: Feb 20, 2004
Review Date: Oct 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Portable, compared to 24-70L
Cons:
Substantial barrel & pincussion distortion; soft corners at 24-28mm. Full-frame sensor really taxes the lenses! Makes me think 1.3 sensor, not FF, is ideal.

I was pleased with resolution & contrast, but barrel distortion at WA & pincushion above 50mm are pretty serious. I tried PSCS Lens Correction & Panotools LensFix - more control & better results with the latter. The problem is that lens correction tools & WA corner softness interact - lens correction tools can create a further 'smearing' of already-soft corners. PhotoKit Capture Sharpener can help considerably with this.

IMO the real advantge of this lens is its compactness & weight. 24-70 yields better corner sharpness & less distortion.

Oct 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add thompsonkirk to your Buddy List
dennyg

Registered: Apr 19, 2005
Review Date: Oct 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid, positive operation. Excellent IS (best I've used in the Canon IS line). Sharp. Fast AF.
Cons:
Outside of price, none come to mind.

Although I've only had the opportunity to use it with my 20D, I'm very impressed with the lens. Light, compact, sharp and I especially like the new IS, it is faster locking and more effective than my older IS lenses. For me, it makes a great package with the 20D.

I hope to get a chance to give it a good workout this week with my 1DsMK2 and see if it functions as well there. But I'm certain it will.

Oct 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dennyg to your Buddy List
sprocket01

Registered: Jul 19, 2005
Review Date: Oct 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great IS, a good range, fairly lightweight, very sharp, good contrast,perfect walk around lens.
Cons:
the price. But hey, you gotta pay up to get first in line for this great lens

I have only had the lens for about a week, and so far I'm more then happy. To be honest I'm ecstatic about image quality the lens makes. I haven't been able to test it thoroughly yet, but what I have seen so far makes it a sure winner in my eyes. even considering the hefty pricetag. And I have not noticed any softness at any focallength og apertures, not even at 105mm f/4. Perhaps I just got lucky and got perfect copy of this lens. But a lot of other peoply seams to be happy about this lens too. And IS works like a charm as well. So if you got the money to spend, I can highly recommend this lens any day of the week.

Oct 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sprocket01 to your Buddy List
Fred Bopp

Registered: Jan 2, 2002
Review Date: Oct 15, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,200.00

Pros: Size, build & color. IS works well
Cons:
Overpriced @ $1200 should be about $900USD Lens is too slow @ f4.0

Recommended for casual walkabout use where there is good light. The lens is sharp and has good contrast. Works well on all my Canon EOS DSLR's. On 5D with FF it does have some easy to correct vignetting.
I use my 24-70 for event work as it is a faster lens and this makes a difference in my type of work.
If I had to choose between the 24-105 and the 24-70 I would take the 24-70 hands down. It is just a far better lens and worth it's cost. The 24-105, IMHO, is not worth the price to me.

Oct 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fred Bopp to your Buddy List
Fred Bopp

Registered: Jan 2, 2002
Review Date: Oct 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Size and build. Sharp. Black color
Cons:
Overpriced. Should be about $900USD Too slow @ f4.0

I recommend this lens with reservations:
Good for shooting in daylight for panoramas and as a walkabout lens when traveling.

Not good for any low light shooting like indoor events where flash is prohibited. It is just not fast enough.

Tried it on my 1D Mk2 and 5D with good results within the ability of the lens. If you are going to use it for general shooting with good light you will get very good results. If I had to choose between my 24-70 2.8 and the 24-105 4.0 I would take the 24-70 hands down.

Oct 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fred Bopp to your Buddy List
akivisuals

Registered: Nov 11, 2003
Review Date: Oct 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight, range, sharpness, contrast, color, IS!
Cons:
Price, f4

After buying two 24-70L's and one 28-70L I finally tried this new 24-105L IS to try to supplant my trusty Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di. I think I've finally found a lens that can do that. My little Tammy was sharper than all 3 of my Canon L zooms but after doing a quick little comparison with the new 24-105L I've found a new winner! I'm REALLY excited because I really wanted a lens that has IS, quick Canon USM focusing and L-quality glass to replace the Tamron. Don't get me wrong, the Tamron is a great little lens and extremely sharp, but I really wanted IS and better focus speed. The range is also much more versatile and the lens is much lighter than the 24-70L which I traded away to get this lens. I'll miss the extra stop but the 3 extra stops of handholdability are well worth it IMHO.

What I noticed in my comparison is that the Tamron almost always exposes at 1/3rd stop faster than the Canon choices. I don't know why that is, but it just does. Also, the Tamron has a slightly warmer color balance. The contrast of the Canon is better and the color is also much better straight out of the camera IMHO. I'm incredibly happy that I found this lens! It's going to be on my walkabout camera 90% of the time as my Tamron was, but will get more use with the IS and added range. Now the gap between my 10-22 and 24-105 is a meager 2mm vs 4mm. And the overlap for long lenses is 35mm instead of 5mm.

In my 3 years on this board I've never posted a review here before, but I was so pleased by this Canon offering that I felt it to be my obligation to post these thoughts here! Get one.

Oct 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add akivisuals to your Buddy List
tanglefoot47

Registered: Oct 12, 2004
Review Date: Oct 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,099.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight, IS, great color and contrast, well built. This lens will become my favorite walk around lens. I sold my 24-70 2.8 with great regret but after using it I am very happy.
Cons:
COST

Oct 12, 2005