524 918037 Jan 21, 2015
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84° - 23° 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

Page:  30 · 31 · 32 · 33  next

dnenciu

Registered: Jul 25, 2005
Review Date: Dec 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp even at f4, great contrast, great build, IS
Cons:
nothing major

Not much to say that was not already said I use it on a 1d2 and on the 1.3x crop is a great walk around range. The image quality is very good and the lens is sharp even at f4. The build is great and the IS is amazing. I had the chance to play with a 24-70L but the weight, the shorter range and no IS made me chose this one.

Overall I really like it.

Dec 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dnenciu to your Buddy List
Scubashootah

Registered: Mar 18, 2005
Review Date: Dec 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Focal length range. Sharpness, contrast and saturation is comparable to the 24-70L. 3rd gen IS is excellent. Lightweight and weathersealing.
Cons:
Distortion, esp from 24-35. Vignetting (light fallout) in the corners on a 5D (which I returned).

It's a pity Canon doesn't upgrade all new lenses with the new 3rd Gen IS. It is a marvel.
I have the 24-70L which I'll keep but will be used perhaps 80% less now as this lens has replaced it on 1.25 crop 1D2 for non vignetting all purpose walkaround lens. You cannot downplay 280g less weight on a long trek, while it's wrapped round your neck or shoulders.
Testimony to the DWR sealing. I was caught in a thunderstorm while trekking, the rain so heavy visibility was down to maybe 15m at one point. My buddies with Tamron and Sigma had malfunctioning lenses due to leaks, while mine worked flawlessly in adverse weather conditions. That alone is worth $700.
AF speed is as fast as the 24-70L and the pictures are very comparable except for the distortion from 24-50. It's slight and acceptable but still is an annoyance. I think people shooting architecture may object to it but landscape and general photography wouldn't object to it as much.
Mine was under recall so I had Canon calibrate the repaired to my 1D2. It didn't affect the lens at all since it was a swap except for the mount. It's not a perfect lens but excellent build and good images offset the slight distortion that is prevalent in the wider lengths. It also vignettes pretty badly on a 5D, but I returned the camera and kept the lens. It is the best outdoor zoom lens available for my 1D2, for my needs.

Dec 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Scubashootah to your Buddy List
davetea

Registered: Dec 7, 2004
Review Date: Dec 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Weight, IS and range.
Cons:
Cost, f4, distortion.

Distortion is unacceptable at this price point and in an 'L' lens, as is the softness at 105. The Canon recall shows me that Canon have still not got their QC on the ball and also that I've used 3 of these lenses now and each one had a different feel on the zoom ring. 24>70 much better without doubt in most situations. This lens is probably best on a 20D and not a FF body, or maybe the best compromise would be the 1D with a 1.3x sensor. If you're using FF, try before you buy.

Dec 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add davetea to your Buddy List
vario

Registered: Sep 6, 2005
Review Date: Dec 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,130.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Nice range, sharp (even wide open), great build
Cons:
Expensive!!

A good walkaround lens, even for the 350D. My copy is pretty sharp even at f/4 and quite contrasty so I don't have much complaint regarding the pictures it produces. However the steep price made me hesitate to give it a higher rating...

Dec 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vario to your Buddy List
evangellydonut

Registered: Dec 2, 2005
Review Date: Dec 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: quieter, faster AF than 17-85 it replaced, excellent build quality
Cons:
slight corner softness at wide-open even on APS-C sensor

For those complaining about price, considering IS lens generally cost $500 more than none-IS version, the price is not THAT bad.

As for the lens extension, hey, it's still shorter than 24-70 at 24mm, and lighter too.

However, even on APS-C senor at 24mm (x1.6) and F4.0, I notice some corner softness, which makes me think that it's not going to be pretty on a FF... maybe 1.3 crop would be best.

I'm glad to have upgraded from 17-85, and if I really need the F2.8, there's always the option of going through multiple copies of the Tameron 28-75 F2.8 for ~$400 until I find a good copy :-)

Dec 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add evangellydonut to your Buddy List
temalibero

Registered: Sep 18, 2005
Review Date: Dec 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Colore, risoluzione e contrasto incredibili! Lunghezza focale perfetta per 20D (IMHO)
Cons:
Costo (ma compri quello che paghi)

Questo zoom rende immagini eccezionali anche nelle situazioni più sfavorevoli. La qualità della luce che trasporta rende ai soggetti un volume ''3D'' pari obiettivi principali di elevata qualità. Il colore ed il contrasto sono quasi eccessivi. La risoluzione è ai massimi livelli, ora il limite sono gli 8,2 milioni di pixel della mia 20D. IS perfetta.
Ho riscontrato poco CA, anche nei test più estremi. Forse la mia copia di questo zoom e particolarmente fortunata o forse Canon nella seconda release di questo obiettivo, ha sistemato qualcosa di più che i problemi di flare?

Altamente suggerito anche agli amanti delle obiettivi principali.

PS con la 20D suggerisco l'uso del paraluce (lens hood) del 24L f1.4 se lo possedete.

Dec 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add temalibero to your Buddy List
craigster

Registered: Nov 19, 2005
Review Date: Dec 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,187.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Crisp pictures, IS a big plus, love the 24-105 range. This has become my walk-around lens.
Cons:
A bit heavy; don't like the significant extension in lens length for longer zoom.

I think Canon has a hit with this L quality lens. While I use it on my digital Rebel so the range is longer than marked, I find it to cover the vast majority of shooting situations I am normally in. Good bokeh as well. Over-all I find that the qulity of pictures is similar to my 70-200mm L lens - all of which adds up to a lot of lens for a lot of money...but worth it.

Dec 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add craigster to your Buddy List
donutley

Registered: Mar 28, 2005
Review Date: Nov 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very well made, substantial but light compared to 24-70L. Sharp, good contrast. The IS works just as advertised--maybe better; it is very quiet and just seems to work invisibly. The focus is particularly fast and silent.
Cons:
Early price seems a bit high.

I am using this lens as my all-in-one travel lens with a 20D. I have previously owned copies of Canon mid-range zoom Ls (28-80L, 24-70L) and suspected that the 24-105L would be a bit of a step backward (given the f/4 limitation) in image quality sacrificed in the name of IS and a wider, useful range. But I have been very happy with the image quality. That L "wow factor" is very much a part of the joy of this lens. It has quickly become my workhorse. I love it.

Nov 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add donutley to your Buddy List
jhsymington

Registered: Oct 17, 2005
Review Date: Nov 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Very useful zoom range, lightweight, IS invaluable occasionally, well built.
Cons:
Not as sharp as I could have hoped for - even stopped down.

I sold my 24-70m f2.8 L to buy this as the zoom range is much more useful to me and the weight and bulk of the f2.8 L was unacceptable for my purposes (hiking + landscape photography).

From an image quality perspective my view is that you do pay a price with this new lens versus the 24-70mm. I don't think it is quite as sharp (marginal), it vignettes more (indisputable) and produces a more distorted image (also indisputable).

As most of my photography is produced at f8 at the very widest the vignetting issue is irrelevant to me. By f8 it is minimal and at f22, where 80% of my shots are taken, it is gone. The wide end distortion is fairly pronounced and care must be exercised in how far off horizontal you use this lens for the sake of straight horizons. Correctable in PS of course but I'd rather not have to.

On balance I am pleased with this lens but it is not by any means an overwhelming improvement on the 24-70mm. I will keep it and continue to use it simply because of its longer zoom range and lighter weight. It is simply a jack-of-all-trades. If pure image quality is your overriding consideration then the 24-70mm may still be the way to go.

Nov 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jhsymington to your Buddy List
Sheila

Registered: Apr 28, 2002
Review Date: Nov 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Nice range, fairly contrasty and sharp.
Cons:
Real issues with CA

I really want to like this lens! The focal length is just what I was looking for (having sold my 70-200 f/4L) and the IS was the main attraction. I have no problems with flare and have tested this lens many times shooting into the sun but to date no flare is present. But my main concern is the CA (chromatic aberration). It is inconsistent and just when I feel I should send this back to Canon, the next load of images contain no CA. I know this can be fixed in PS but for a lens of this price, I don't think I should have to do this. I have not come across CA in my 17-40 in any image that I am aware of. I do occasionly get a tad with my 135 f/2 but not noticeably so.
Sheila

Nov 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Sheila to your Buddy List
Sumosan

Registered: Sep 25, 2005
Review Date: Nov 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, IS, sharpness, results
Cons:
Not cheap

Compliments the 5D perfectly - the combination has excellent balance and covers a really useful range of focal lengths. Build quality is very good and results are excellent - sharp, good contrast, nicely saturated colours. Focus is quick and accurate, IS works a treat, easily gives the published plus 3 stops and often more. Overall, a pleasure to use and throughly recommended, providing you have an understanding bank manager!

Nov 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Sumosan to your Buddy List
Greg Dillard

Registered: Jan 9, 2002
Review Date: Nov 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,249.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: focal length range, IS, build, very quiet USM
Cons:
distortion at 24mm, too soft above 70mm.

I sold my Canon 24-70 2.8L before getting this lens. What a mistake! The 24-70L beats the 24-105L hands down. The distortion at 24mm is unacceptable for a 24mm focal length.
The softness I am seeing at 105mm is due to front focusing. At the price paid and the slow F4 aperture this is inexcusable from Canon. This lens is being used on a 1DMKII CPS calibrated body. I will definitely have this lens calibrated.
I like the zoom range, the Canon color quality and build. The focus doesn't hunt. I must express overall disappointment with this lens at the price paid.

Nov 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Greg Dillard to your Buddy List
thenomad

Registered: Nov 24, 2005
Review Date: Nov 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: solid, range, set F-stop from 24mm to 105mm, image stabilizer, nice feel
Cons:
not noticeably sharper than the 17-85mm at half the price, not consistent in focus, not sharp at F4.0, price considering quality of lens.

I received this lens yesterday after a 50 day back order wait.
My hope was that it would be as sharp as my Canon 50m 1.4 at the same 50mm setting and same F-stop. (It’s not prime lens, but it is supposed to be an L lens.) It’s not very sharp full open (but then neither is the 50mm below F2.8). I took a series of pictures during a light cloudy day at 400 ASA with my D20 without a tripod comparing the Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 17-85mm and this lens. (I chose to shoot without a tripod because most of my work is without a tripod.) I photographed text and flowers all at the 50mm range from full open to F 8.0. I viewed each image side by side with the same F-stop at full resolution with a high quality computer monitor. While non of the lenses was completely consistent in its ability to focus on each flower I found that the 50mm lens performed the best and that the 17-85mm actually focused a bit better than the 24-105. The sharpness of both lenses was about the same.

Note that I didn’t not compare color or contrast in these tests, simply sharpness. In conclusion, I need to do some more tests (low light, moving objects, etc…), but so far I’m not that impressed with this lens. It feels a lot more solid than the 17 to 85mm and I appreciate the consistent 4.0 F-stop, but unless it grows on me (or I upgrade to the Canon D5), I’ll probably return it soon.

Nov 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add thenomad to your Buddy List
Gil H

Registered: Feb 13, 2005
Review Date: Nov 20, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,250.00

Pros: The Best all around Canon Lens specifications, Great Image stabilizer, L lens, great range 24-104, weighs a lot less and shorter than the bulky 24-70.
Cons:
Even though I have a post recall copy (past UT1000 as stated by Canon recall) I get significantly more flaring than my 24-70, disapointing pictures.

After spending the whole day shooting with this lens and comparing the results with my 24-70 Canon lens I can say the following.
1) It is a lot lighter than the 24-70, but still very heavy.
2) The added range is very welcome, but if it had a wider than 24 angle it would be great on the 20D, since the 1.6 factor makes it a 38.4 equivalent which is barely wide angle.
3) it focuses very fast and quietly
4) very strong solid construction
5) not fast as the 24-70 for indoor photography without use of a flash
6)out of the 300 pictures I took a very high % of them was slightly out of focus, I updated the camera firmware to 2.03, reset all the camera settings to factory default and still many pictures were not knife sharp, tried using f8 and higher to get a greater depth of field and still regular portraits were not sharp as I expected them to be when using my 24-70
7) Pictures came unusually grainy even though I usually used ISO 100, when I used a flash I used mostly my 580 Canon flash with fresh batteries
8) contrast on the pictures was unusually high

needless to say I am very disappointed, and if I could rerate this article I would give it a 7

I want to make one thing clear, the results were not terrible, but were unacceptable for an L lens that cost $1250

I want to love this lens, I fell in love withe the specifications, but I did not see the results. and my lens is a post recall lens
with control number higher than UT1000.

check

I will call Canon and ask for possible explanation.

Perhaps someone here has a good explanation? am I doing something wrong?

Nov 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gil H to your Buddy List
Gil H

Registered: Feb 13, 2005
Review Date: Nov 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great Image Stabilizer, great range 24-105, much lighter and smaller than my bulky 24-70. this IS the all around lens we have all been waiting for
Cons:
F4, for the price tag they could have made it an f2.8 and replace the 24-70, or at the very least I wish it had 17-105 to

I ordered this lens about 2 weeks ago and I was told that it is recalled

I was shocked to see the FedEx guy deliver it 2 days ago, so I imediately checked my control number that it was less than UT1000. I had UT1004.....
I also called Canon and they told me that U stands for the plant name, T stands for 2005, 10 means October, and 04 means something Canon will not tell me.

So far I shot about 100 pictures and the image stabilizer allowed me to have perfect still images at 1/8 which is amazing (at 105 focal length)
I have a 20D camera and I usually get amazing pictures withit, however I was very disappointed with the picture quality,especially with my 70-200 f4 lens, the pictures I took with the 24-105 seem very grainy at ISO 100 and with my other lenses I never had this problem, I will take some more pictures today and I will have a better test, most of the shots I took were indoor with a 580 flash.
I did test my copy for the advertised flare problem and did not see any flare, so I know that I have a good copy.
I hope that Canon did not put a different glass to fix the problem, and degrade the lens to a non L lens.
I am giving Canon the benefit of the doubt and I hope that when I take more outdoor pictures I will change my mind, on paper this is the perfect lens

Nov 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gil H to your Buddy List
musicjohn

Registered: Sep 14, 2005
Review Date: Nov 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great lens. Very sharp, even at f/4
Cons:

I've owned this lens now for a month, and I have never seen such sharp pictures come rolling out of my memorycards.

The Image Stabiliser is a great feature when lighting conditions are far from optimal.

The lens isn't cheap, but definately worth every penny. Works very well on my EOS 350D

For sample pictures you can look at my homepage:

www.johnenarie.com

and click on the button "Foto's" or Fotoshows" on the left hand side menu.

I could definately recommend this lens to anyone who seeks a great, sharp, contrasty and true-color lens.

Nov 16, 2005