528 944450 Aug 31, 2016
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84° - 23° 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

Ulan

Registered: May 14, 2008
Review Date: Jun 29, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very convenient focal range. Good IS. Sharp enough even at f/4 especially in the centre. Satisfying contact and colors. Fast AF. Well built.
Cons:
Vignetting at f/4 (24 mm).

Very pleased with this zoom.

Jun 29, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ulan to your Buddy List
hokiejimbo

Registered: Aug 24, 2008
Review Date: May 22, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: AF Speed, Build Quality, Excellent sharpness, Wide enough for full-frame all-day use
Cons:
Not wide enough for 100% usage on a 1.6 crop, slight lens creep if held upside down

The quality of this lens is the best all-around that I've used. Sharpness is near-prime, AF speed is best-of-breed, weatherproofing is fantastic and the zoom range is phenomenal. What more can you want?

May 22, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hokiejimbo to your Buddy List
AshleyJones

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Review Date: May 16, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great for video; nice FL range; IS; Lightweight
Cons:
F/4; Not über-sharp; wished minimum focus distance was a bit shorter

It's funny. I never really considered this lens. I have lots of L glass and didn't think F/4 would ever be of interest to me.

But I got this as a kit lens with the 5D Mark III (bit of a long story) and I think it's a smashing "walking around" lens. I also think it is dynamite as a video lens.

I have the 24-70 F/2.8 and I can't imagine I will really ever use it much again (this has really surprised me). While it may have the edge over the 24-105 optically, it's not as good as my primes. The 24-105 offers a lot in convenience, the IS is great for video and it's a lot lighter and cheaper.

I feel a bit silly coming to the party so late, because it really is a great lens that will take some beating as a travel/everyday lens.

That notwithstanding, it is a zoom and nowhere near as optically strong as the primes we all know and love.

May 16, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AshleyJones to your Buddy List
aestiva

Registered: Feb 17, 2009
Review Date: May 15, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Nice range, good quality, fast AF
Cons:
Big dissortion wide open and less contrast wide open, price

Nice lens, great colors, but big dissortion wide open. Especially on full frame camera's.
Some of the pictures on my site are made with this lens
www.totaalfotografie.nl

May 15, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aestiva to your Buddy List
nswelton

Registered: Jan 16, 2006
Review Date: Apr 11, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: fast focuser, sharp, great colors, good build quality, inexpensive, not too bad a vignette
Cons:
i wish it went to 120 like the nikon variant

i really like this lens. when i first got it in the kit with the 5d2 i was a bit of a 2.8 snob, but the more i used this walk around lens the more i liked it. it's fast to focus and very very accurate. the colors are bright and punchy and the contrast adds a lot of vibrance to the lens. it's resistant to flare, and tack sharp wide open. having switched to nikon recently, i miss this lens a lot. nikon's version has the advantage of being a little longer on the long end, but it's glacially slow to focus and it vignettes BAD. this lens is a great all purposes addition to a canon shooter's lineup. highly recommended.

Apr 11, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nswelton to your Buddy List
Mike Mahoney

Registered: Mar 8, 2004
Review Date: Mar 7, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Zoom range, good build quality , lightweight, image stabilization, sharp wide open, great image quality, short minimum focus.
Cons:
None really

I bought this shortly after I sold my 24-70 2.8 as I needed that focal range for a few jobs .. so without really doing a lot of research on the lens I bought it, and it's become one of the nicer lenses in my bag.

I mostly shoot with very much wider aperture lenses and own the big three fast ones .. 35, 85, and 135. So this is the slowest lens in my bag by far but is still a pleasure to use.

It's seen a lot of use as my studio lens where I usually shoot at F8 and has replaced my 24-70 2.8 for that work.

Anyone looking for a excellent general purpose wide range zoom should consider the 24-105 F4.0

Mar 7, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mike Mahoney to your Buddy List
annoh

Registered: Feb 15, 2012
Review Date: Feb 17, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Low vignetting Fast AF Handy zoom range· Seal against dust and water
Cons:
Strong distortion at 24 mm A bit too high chromatic aberration at 24 mm Not a very nice bokeh Hefty purchase price in relation to moderate resolution in the corners at 24 and 105 mm

The combo Canon 5D MK2 and Canon 24-105 mm I use a lot.
But, it must be said, files made with a Canon 70-200 2.8 II look crispier. Futhermore, bokeh of the 24-105 is pretty bad. Here my complete story: www.camerastuffreview.com/en/component/content/article/57-test-canon-24-105-is

Feb 17, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add annoh to your Buddy List
Kevin Sherman

Registered: Nov 11, 2006
Review Date: Jan 19, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Excellent range, excellent value when bought with a camera body, sharp, Image Stabilization.
Cons:
f4

Great value if you are able to buy it with a body (I got mine with a 5D back in the day). A very nice range, you can do a lot with just this lens.

f4 is too slow for me now, Image Stabilization helps and is a nice feature. Pretty sharp, but nothing remarkable. Would be a well rounded lens for video.

Jan 19, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kevin Sherman to your Buddy List
L.J.G.

Registered: May 12, 2011
Review Date: Jan 10, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,077.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great as a walkaround on a full frame, sharp, good build quality, fast focus
Cons:
trombone zoom, I prefer zoom within the lens

I needed a general purpose walkaround on my 5DII that filled the gap my 15-85 did on my 50D and this one fits the bill nicely. It is a terrific general purpose lens on my 5DII. A far better walkaround on the 5D than my 15-85 ever was on my 50D. It is sharp, has a good build and focusses very quickly and accurately. I have to be very careful applying sharpening in post processing as images are already quite sharp straight out of the camera. Images taken with it look great in print. My only critisism is the trombone zoom, my 17-40 and 70-200 both zoom in lens and I do prefer this method. I would recommend this lens to anybody who was satisfied with an aperture of f4 and did not really need the extra of f2.8.

Jan 10, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add L.J.G. to your Buddy List
G.G.M

Registered: Dec 25, 2009
Review Date: Dec 7, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great walk around lens.
Cons:

Had this lens, used it a lot, sold it when I bought the 24-70 2.8, used that half a year, after that I wished I still had my 24-105, so I sold the 24-70 and bought me a new 24-105, it's the one I'm always using, it's the one I really love, it's just the perfect lens for me, will never sell it again.

Dec 7, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add G.G.M to your Buddy List
taemo

Registered: May 22, 2006
Review Date: Nov 14, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS, versatile focal length on a FF camera, can be used as cheap macro with extension tube, great results even at widest aperture
Cons:
price, build quality? (from what I've read/heard online)

love this lens on my 5D, when travelling/hiking it's on my 5D 90% of the time.
being weather proof I can bring it out on any conditions without fears of damaging it.
great focal length from wide to med-tele, IS handy and f4 is sharp

Nov 14, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add taemo to your Buddy List
Andy123456

Registered: Nov 6, 2011
Review Date: Nov 8, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 1. Good for tight spaces and decent zoom range. A good walk around lens. 2. Weather sealed 3. Nice hood lens 4. Sharpness is decent 5. IS works really well 6. Auto focus is fast
Cons:
1. Price is high 2. Heavy 3. F4

This is a really good general all purpose lens. I bought this lens in 2008, so far it has been my favorite lens. I don't have to change lens too frequent as this can introduce dust to the camera. The image stablization system worked really well. The manual focus ring is really smooth. The auto focus is really quick and accurate. The sharpness is not as sharp as prime 85 1.2 LII, but the sharpness is decent. The weight of this lens is still quit heavy for an F4. I really enjoy using this lens because of its wide range and decent zoom. I highly recommend this lens over other lens.

Nov 8, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Andy123456 to your Buddy List
evannuil

Registered: Sep 15, 2011
Review Date: Sep 15, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great IQ, very robust, weather sealing, great range
Cons:
Heavy, no f/2.8

The IQ is very great, I really like this lens. This is a great walk around lens which I have on my camera most of the time.

Here are some sample shots I took:

I only wished it was f/2.8 but then it would be much heavier.

Sep 15, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add evannuil to your Buddy List
Paolo76

Registered: Aug 23, 2011
Review Date: Aug 23, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, solid, focal range, IS
Cons:
Max apertute

Got it with the 5D MkII kit and absolutely love it.
This lens is very solid and fits perfectly on the 5D. It is very sharp and, on full frame, is an excellent walkaround lens.

Coming from the 17-55 (with 40D) I miss the 2.8 (but high-ISO performances of the 5D compensate quite a bit). My alternative was the 24-70 but preferred to invest on the longer range and IS and I am absolutely happy with it. I also decided to pair it with a 50 1.4 that I use in low light situations.

I just got back from a trip and I am really happy with this lens. If you want to check some examples, give a look to this set (http://www.flickr.com/photos/paolofontana/sets/72157627367235529/)

Aug 23, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Paolo76 to your Buddy List
sbay

Registered: Aug 10, 2003
Review Date: Aug 20, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, IS, very useful focal length range
Cons:
vignetting, distortion, size

This is by far my most used lens and I have taken thousands (probably tens of thousands) of pictures with it. I will probably hang on to this lens forever -- it is that good.

The lens has some negatives like the f/4 max aperture, vignetting and distortion. However these are not necessarily big drawbacks for the type of photography I do (travel). I'm often stopping down anyway for DOF, and vignetting/distortion can easily be corrected in post processing.

Although I often stop down, the lens is still quite good wide open. Go to http://bayimages.net/blog/reviews/canon-24-105mm-f4-l-lens-review/ for 100% crops taken from the lens.

My only other comment is that the lens seems quite big especially with the hood on.

Aug 20, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sbay to your Buddy List
bj.fm

Registered: Aug 10, 2011
Review Date: Aug 10, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp.
Cons:

So, what's up with the ratings for this lens? Cons include: Only f4; No IS; only 17-40mm. Did no one read the box before you bought this lens? I want a review of the quality of this lens ... not a dream list of your perfect lens (mine would be a 20-100mm f2.8 IS III (with no distortion and exquisite image quality that could also make lime cocktails and french toast). This site is particularly bad for this type of ``wish list'' reviews. Why not comment on the quality of the lens and leave the `great lens ... but it doesn't mow my grass or shovel my snow' comments for your own blogs! I am pretty well giving up on FM reviews ... sorry!

Aug 10, 2011