517 902693 Jul 19, 2014
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84° - 23° 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

Andy123456

Registered: Nov 6, 2011
Review Date: Nov 8, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 1. Good for tight spaces and decent zoom range. A good walk around lens. 2. Weather sealed 3. Nice hood lens 4. Sharpness is decent 5. IS works really well 6. Auto focus is fast
Cons:
1. Price is high 2. Heavy 3. F4

This is a really good general all purpose lens. I bought this lens in 2008, so far it has been my favorite lens. I don't have to change lens too frequent as this can introduce dust to the camera. The image stablization system worked really well. The manual focus ring is really smooth. The auto focus is really quick and accurate. The sharpness is not as sharp as prime 85 1.2 LII, but the sharpness is decent. The weight of this lens is still quit heavy for an F4. I really enjoy using this lens because of its wide range and decent zoom. I highly recommend this lens over other lens.

Nov 8, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Andy123456 to your Buddy List
evannuil

Registered: Sep 15, 2011
Review Date: Sep 15, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great IQ, very robust, weather sealing, great range
Cons:
Heavy, no f/2.8

The IQ is very great, I really like this lens. This is a great walk around lens which I have on my camera most of the time.

Here are some sample shots I took:

I only wished it was f/2.8 but then it would be much heavier.

Sep 15, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add evannuil to your Buddy List
Paolo76

Registered: Aug 23, 2011
Review Date: Aug 23, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, solid, focal range, IS
Cons:
Max apertute

Got it with the 5D MkII kit and absolutely love it.
This lens is very solid and fits perfectly on the 5D. It is very sharp and, on full frame, is an excellent walkaround lens.

Coming from the 17-55 (with 40D) I miss the 2.8 (but high-ISO performances of the 5D compensate quite a bit). My alternative was the 24-70 but preferred to invest on the longer range and IS and I am absolutely happy with it. I also decided to pair it with a 50 1.4 that I use in low light situations.

I just got back from a trip and I am really happy with this lens. If you want to check some examples, give a look to this set (http://www.flickr.com/photos/paolofontana/sets/72157627367235529/)

Aug 23, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Paolo76 to your Buddy List
sbay

Registered: Aug 10, 2003
Review Date: Aug 20, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, IS, very useful focal length range
Cons:
vignetting, distortion, size

This is by far my most used lens and I have taken thousands (probably tens of thousands) of pictures with it. I will probably hang on to this lens forever -- it is that good.

The lens has some negatives like the f/4 max aperture, vignetting and distortion. However these are not necessarily big drawbacks for the type of photography I do (travel). I'm often stopping down anyway for DOF, and vignetting/distortion can easily be corrected in post processing.

Although I often stop down, the lens is still quite good wide open. Go to http://bayimages.net/blog/reviews/canon-24-105mm-f4-l-lens-review/ for 100% crops taken from the lens.

My only other comment is that the lens seems quite big especially with the hood on.

Aug 20, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sbay to your Buddy List
bj.fm

Registered: Aug 10, 2011
Review Date: Aug 10, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp.
Cons:

So, what's up with the ratings for this lens? Cons include: Only f4; No IS; only 17-40mm. Did no one read the box before you bought this lens? I want a review of the quality of this lens ... not a dream list of your perfect lens (mine would be a 20-100mm f2.8 IS III (with no distortion and exquisite image quality that could also make lime cocktails and french toast). This site is particularly bad for this type of ``wish list'' reviews. Why not comment on the quality of the lens and leave the `great lens ... but it doesn't mow my grass or shovel my snow' comments for your own blogs! I am pretty well giving up on FM reviews ... sorry!

Aug 10, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bj.fm to your Buddy List
JackyFong

Registered: Apr 27, 2006
Review Date: Jun 26, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: The range it covers, built like a tank, good weight to balance between camer and lens, color it produces and cool optics.
Cons:
Hunts a bit in low light, a bit soft on wide end and IS needs to be switch off when used on a tripod.

I begin to realise I can no longer bring 2 DSLRs for event coverage like neighbourhood activities and weddings. My usual work cameras are 1Dmk2 with an EF 20mm f2.8, EF 50mm f1.8 and 7D plus EF 70-200mm f2.8 L. Since I am no longer young, I decided to go for a walkaround lens for these activities.

This EF 24-105mm L IS USM is what I need. Eventually I found a guy selling off this copy of mine still very much in mint conditions and flawless lens optics, just a bit of fading in the rubber. I solved the fading rubber by applying a few coat of black markers and immediately it looks new. Some more, the guy who sold me includes a B+W haze filter for me! I got a gem lens.

The second day bought in along to a beach for some quick test, on my 1Dmk2 with is 1.3x, it is not too wide unlike my 20mm and the longer focal length is acceptable in most conditions. Just like any Canon's wide angle, this one suffers a bit of clarity issues when using at f4 but a little unsharp mask will do the job.

On the 7D body, it fits well too. Onlt that I took sometime to adjust the AF adjustment; I had to test and set the AF to -7 before everything is working fine.

Image quality is superb then the normal lens I used. Comparable to my 70-200mm L.

Overall, it is a fine walkabout lens.

Jun 26, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JackyFong to your Buddy List
R10

Registered: Jan 4, 2008
Review Date: May 10, 2011 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: focal range, AF speed, IS, overal performance and versatility
Cons:
rather low contrast; short end at f4 on FF with severe vignetting & corners could be better for an L-lens; sample variation!

Meanwhile I need to update my review about this lens.

So far, I used two samples of this lens on a 5D MkII. While I rated the first one an 8 (see my last review why), the 2nd one is considerably better concerning corner performance (better than the 1st one; full aperture corner performance on FF is still unworthy of Canon’s L league, but maybe I'm too much used to Leica standards).

So, the 24-105 can be better than that of my 1st review, but this is an embarrassing fact for Canon at the same time, ie for Canon’s quality control. Such sample variation is just an unreasonable demand, especially with lenses with such a price tag.

Still, as mentioned before, the 24-105 is a very useful and a good all-around lens. I still like the AF and IS performance very much.

I'd rate it now a 9 (can't edit the rating with this 2nd review!?)

May 10, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add R10 to your Buddy List
R10

Registered: Jan 4, 2008
Review Date: Mar 9, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: focal range, AF speed, IS
Cons:
low contrast, on FF (esp short end & f/4) blurry corners and severe vignetting

I used this lens on a 5D MkII for about one year.

This is a very useful and good all-around lens! I liked the AF and IS performance very much!
I found it not that sharp though (less than the 24-70L which I had before and which I had to buy 3(!) samples of before I had a centered one) but I liked very much using it as a travel lens.

It is a pretty ‘weak L lens’ at full aperture (corners are totally useless, esp at the short end). It is pretty good at f/8 but I expected more from an L lens and I have no understanding for expensive zooms that are not able to produce at least ‘somehow useful’ corner sharpness at full aperture, even not on monitors or small prints (‘full-aperture-crisp-corner-zooms’ do exist, they feature no red ring and no L but a red dot and a name that starts with L...). This makes this lens rather useless for images with shallow DOF where the focused subject is outside the center area.

To prevent misunderstandings, I liked using this lens. It’s optical performance, focal range, rapid AF and good IS altogether make it a very versatile companion.

Finally, however, I sold it in favor of a Zeiss Contax-N Vario Sonnar 24-85 (Conurus converted to EOS) which, optically (color, contrast, tones, 3D, Bokeh), outperforms both the 24-70L and 24-105L with ease (with f/3.5-4.5, no IS, and a bit slower AF though).

Mar 9, 2011
agnesleung

Registered: Dec 12, 2010
Review Date: Mar 8, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: range, size and weight, IS, built, color.
Cons:
aperture

The range of this lens is perfect on my full frame camera Canon 5D mark II, it serves really well as a walk around lens, for it's nice range, weight & size, especially for landscapes and snaps.

The color of this lens is really good, bokeh is nice when taking close up on the tele range. The sharpness of this lens is pretty good, too. The built is solid, AF is fast...on par with my Canon 17-40mm f4L zoom lens. The build-in IS comes in handy in some low-light situation, such as shooting stills in the museum where no flash is allowed.

I brought it as the kit lens with 5D2, so the price is comparably more reasonable.

This lens is overall a VERY GOOD performer in many aspects, it can take EXCELLENT landscapes, too. However, this lens does not shine in low light situations, and the picture quality (e.g. bokeh, DOF) is no way comparable to those canon L primes with larger aperture, such as my Canon 35L and 200 2.8L.

I use this lens mostly for outdoor video taking, thanks for it's great range! I highly recommend this lens for video taking.

You can see some samples I took with this lens:

Mar 8, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add agnesleung to your Buddy List
tororo

Registered: May 26, 2010
Review Date: Feb 19, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: IS, focal range, build quality, image quality, light weight
Cons:
AF inaccuracy in low light

Great walk-around lens for landscape photography. This is the lens that I use on 5D II for traveling/backpacking when it's not possible to take a tripod.
IS works so well that you can even capture the flow of waterfalls to some extent by hand-held. In lush dense low-light forests, AF hunts or misses sometimes.

A couple of examples taken with this lens:

Feb 19, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tororo to your Buddy List
edatc

Registered: Jul 17, 2009
Review Date: Feb 19, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Range, built quality, IS
Cons:

This lens has a phenomenal focal range... I have used it to shoot weddings, and events in tight quarters. The only lens I take to a museum! Dropped the lens from about 2 and a half feet onto the concrete on airport parking lot. It bounced a little and the hood is now scratched up. I worried about it but it still took the shots I needed. So far I haven't seen any problem in the way it works. I'd say I was lucky on that one.

Feb 19, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add edatc to your Buddy List
edelsolar

Registered: Aug 16, 2005
Review Date: Jan 2, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Focal range, build, IS
Cons:
Some CA, distortion at wide, flat colors

I bought this lens to replace my Tamron 24-135mm, not a bad lens. It has nice build, fast AF, good focal range on a 5DII. While it shows CA and distortion at the wide angle side these are correctable inside LR. The image quality is not bad, and this lens is a good compromise for what it has to offer. Colors were a bit flat in RAW but this is all fixable inside software by boosting saturation and contrast

Based on my negative experience with QC of the 17-40mm zoom, I tested two lenses, both were good performers to my surprise. Below are some images taken with this lens:

Jan 2, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add edelsolar to your Buddy List

Review Date: Dec 27, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,200.00

Pros:
Cons:

The 24-105 is highly usable in low light. The photo below was shot with the exposure of 1/6 s, something I wouldn´t normally try but I got away with it. http://www.flickr.com/photos/bopperkat/5294331063/sizes/l/in/photostream/ (I practically never use a tripod). So the IS helps, also the IQ is excellent wide open, with the exception of borders in the 70 to 105 range. You can see this in the first cat shot below (@73 mm @f4.0)

I mentioned below that the AF is superior to that of the 135 f2L. That is true for moving objects in the AI Servo mode, and I don´t think it is a result of the different camera (500d for 135L, 550d for 24-105L). I guess it´s possible, but it did not even occur to me initially.

I now have five lenses and I need a sixth, but the 24-105 is indispensable for me. For this range I definitely need a zoom, otherwise I prefer primes.

Dec 27, 2010

Review Date: Dec 24, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: IS,AF, range
Cons:
Dec 24, 2010

Registered: Dec 10, 2010
Review Date: Dec 10, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: AF, IS, wide range
Cons:
only F4

This is a very good all-around lens. Perhaps I would not include it in my shopping-list if I had to start all over again and plan a whole new sortiment of lenses, but this item has really no cons except the relative slowness, which can be a factor in sports photography. You can always rely on the autofocus, it is fast and accurate, clearly superior to the EF 135mm f/2 L USM. And I really find the image stabilizer useful in this range.

Dec 10, 2010
dnauer

Registered: Oct 22, 2009
Review Date: Oct 23, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Range, IS, Build, IQ
Cons:
A little heavy, f4

Wanted to replace my 17-85 kit lens on my 40D. Reviewed my past history and found I rarely shot below 24mm for my outdoor shooting, but wanted something sharper and longer. After some research decided to go with this lens and have been very happy with the IQ, Colors, Contrast, quick focus, and the IS is very good. If you have a crop camera you may want to also be sure you won't miss that range below 24mm or have alternative lenses. I still have the 17-85 in case I need that 17-24 range, but over the months I've had this lens I've used the 17-85 only one time. This is becoming a favorite lense for me.

Oct 23, 2010