516 895834 Apr 18, 2014
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84° - 23° 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

Page:  20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27 · 28 · 29 · 30>  next

IraGraham

Registered: Oct 30, 2004
Review Date: Feb 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Noticeably Sharper then the 17-40 4.0L. And the 17-40 is a great lens. The autofocus is the fastest and most accurate of all of my "L" series lenses. Build quality is excellent. It has no zoom creep. This lens is even better then I had anticipated. It is truly a must have lens. It should be everyones first "L" series lens.
Cons:
The cost is a little high. But now days with everyone thinking they are a photographer, I would almost prefer for it to be high so I don't have to worry about a wedding guest pulling it out. It does have a little light fall off at 4.0 and 24mm. It clears up by 5.6 however. In general it is not a big deal. It is easily fixed in CS2.

This is trulely a great lens. If you have to have one lens, this is it. You can build from here. If you buy this lens and the 70-200 2.8 L IS you will be set for 90% of your needs. Make sure you buy one that it is one that is one made after they corrected the flair problem. This is the perfect lens to have on your camera most of the time. It delivers very sharp images of the highest quality. Buy this lens today, you will not regret it.

Feb 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add IraGraham to your Buddy List
coppertop

Registered: Jan 21, 2006
Review Date: Feb 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: This is a nice lens. Very sharp, fast focusing, well built. Image quality is typical "L" lens quality.
Cons:
The price.

At $1250 this is way too pricey for what your getting. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good lens but not worth $1250.

This may be comparing apples to oranges but I have a Canon 70-200 f4L in my bag with a Canon EF 1.4x TC. This lens and TC produce just as good image as the 24-105. My lens and TC combo costs $400 less than the 24-105. I shoot with a 10D. I could have replaced the 10D with a 20D for the cost of this lens, sold the 10D and bought a 17-85mm IS and have money left over.

Sure... there are just as pricey lenses out there but I could see paying $1200 for a 100-400 IS or a 300 f4 IS.

I would price this lens at around $800-900 in value and for the cost, I would expect a 17-105, 17-135 or if the zoom was internal without changing the overall size of the lens.

I recommend this lens only if $1250 is a drop in the bucket for you OR if your collecting "L" lenses and this is the only one left.

Alternatives: Canon's 28-135mm IS or even the 24-85mm USM. If you can handle EF-S mounts, the 17-85mm IS.

Feb 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add coppertop to your Buddy List
rslee

Registered: Dec 19, 2005
Review Date: Feb 10, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Much better after an adjustment from Canon USA
Cons:
Fact that I had to had it serviced

This is my second review. As much as I was satisfied with the lens initially. there were some things not quiet right about this lens when compare to my other L lenses mainly the issues discussed in the reviews below though not as drastic as some have described.

I was taking in my 50mm f/1.4 to Canon USA for CA issue two weeks ago (I live 20min away from Canon USA), and decided to bring my 24-105 anyways. They were very nice and professional. They said they would check everything out just to make sure.

Last week (7 days after) I got both lenses back and I am very pleased. The Service Details says "Adjusted Best Focus Point, Cleaned Elements, Projection Test, CK/ADJ/LUB/ All Functions to Factory Specs."

Now, I have a hard time choosing between this and my 24-70L on many situations. Picture quality is almost identical to my 24-70L even at f/4 in all focal length (24-70mm). Added bonus IS, extra 35mm reach, and light weight certainly helps.

This lens stays in my travel bag and 24-70L stays in my full gear bag.

My suggestions to those who have the same feeling as I did is to send it to Canon for a check up. My experience with Canon USA has been very pleasant & satisfying and I will continue to remain a devoted Canon customer for a long time.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rslee to your Buddy List
davidmorgans

Registered: Feb 10, 2006
Review Date: Feb 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, Image Stabilization, Focal range, Sharpness
Cons:

I have a 20D and have (obviously) not noticed the vignetting problems others have observed. Agreed its not at its sharpest at 105mm - but that's surely to be expected when you've got that range of focal lenths. Below this its really sharp, BUT the best part of this lens is the IS. This feature means I've been able to capture shots hand-held that would not have been possible without a tripod - and when you are walking around a tripod is a bit of a pain.
The focal length is not ideal for the 20D crop factor but supplemented by the 17-40L its really is worth while having.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add davidmorgans to your Buddy List
frasergjb

Registered: Oct 12, 2005
Review Date: Feb 10, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Well built, quick focussing, very useful zoom range, good close focus, E-TTL II compatible.
Cons:
Optical performance (in my early example)

Bought this with the Canon 5D after switching from a Contax SLR system. Also got the 50mm f1.8 lens and 85mm 1.8 so I am comparing performance with these primes. My 24-105 was an early model, subject to recall in the US (but not in the UK where mine was bought). I was expecting more of this lens which showed the flare problem of early versions of this lens, but more seriously also had problems resolving detail. I hope this was just a bad example and that later copies have improved. For the moment I've mounted my Contax Zeiss 35-70 via an adapter and this is a whole lot better optically, but far less convenient.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add frasergjb to your Buddy List
stewarda

Registered: Dec 19, 2003
Review Date: Feb 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent focal length. Much lighter and more managable than my 24-70 L. If you get a good one, it is a great lens.
Cons:
Apparent QC issues with this lens--ie. vignetting and softeness, so take care in purchasing.

I know that QC has left something to be desired for this lense, apparently; however, that being said, I have purchased what appears to be a superior copy of this lens. No vignetting problem, no softness problem. I have been shooting on it for a month now, and it has been spectacular. My recommendation is to test this lens in the store so that you can acquire a good one. I have had nothing but good experiences with this lens shooting in a variety of conditions, from the volcanoes of hawaii from both the ground and helicopter to the kids birthday party I did last week.

Feb 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add stewarda to your Buddy List
doudou

Registered: Oct 8, 2005
Review Date: Feb 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,256.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, quick focus, useful IS, good range for 1.3x camera
Cons:
a bit expensive for f4

I have tried this one on 350D as well as 1D MK II. For 350D, the range is a bit long compared to my 17-85 IS. but the image is just "L", very sharp.
The range is very useful now when I upgraded to 1D MK II.

I am pretty sure that this lens will be on my camera over 80% of time as normal walk around lens even at extreme weather.

Feb 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add doudou to your Buddy List
badplumbing

Registered: Feb 7, 2006
Location: Poland
Review Date: Feb 7, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Very useful focal length range on a full frame body, light and user friendly
Cons:
Vignetting up to about 35mm is pretty horrible. Not as sharp as other 'L' lenses.

Dear potential victims, heed my prophecy of doom ...

For I too have become a statistic. I was seduced by the photographer's Eden apple - the fixed aperture mid-range zoom for all seasons - and blindly parted with 1000 or so hard earned denarii only to fall into the eternal pit were there is vignetting, and gnashing of teeth

After an embarrassing accident on far away foreign shores which resulted in a deceased lens, I bought an 'emergency' Sigma EX DG f2.8 24-70mm. The Sigma is far better than my Canon 24 - 105L. It's much sharper and doesn't have the horrible vignetting problems displyed by 'that' L lens. This make me and my bank manager really sad.

And yes I know I can correct it in Photoshop - but that's like saying telling a man whose just had his leg amputated that 'they' can do wonders with prosthetic limbs these days.

Feb 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add badplumbing to your Buddy List
kandoro

Registered: Oct 22, 2004
Review Date: Feb 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,095.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, weight, focal length, IS and constant aperture...Superior sharpness at all apertures and focal lengths...Perfect lens for everyday use on a full frame camera...
Cons:
Some vignetting at 24-28mm up to f/6 and the need to explore multiple copies to get a stellar one...

I must start by saying my first copy was a total dud but I will not downgrade because of this aberation...The 24-105 is a stellar lens which is sharp at all focal lengths and apertures...I do not find any softening at 70-105mm as some have reported...

I do feel it's best used with a full frame camera to take full advantage of it's focal length and superior resolving power...When used with both my 5D and the 20D I can clearly see the detailed resolution difference in favor of the 5D/24-105...It also clearly outresolves the 20D/17-85 IS combo...I do not own a 24/28-70 to compare...

I feel that Canon does have some QA/QC issues with this lens above the flare issue which was fixed...I will not downgrade the lens on this because a stellar copy shows no serious faults...Others feel differently as evidenced by their evaluations...

I would not hesitate to recommend this lens to anyone using a 5D or 1ds...While very useable on 1.6x camera I feel other options may be more appropriate if one needs the wide end more...If not the 24-105 will out resolve any other non "L" zoom option out there in this range and aperture...

It remains on my 5D at least 95% of the time...

Feb 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kandoro to your Buddy List
boBQuincy

Registered: Feb 6, 2006
Review Date: Feb 6, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: IS works very well. Color saturation is very good. Sharpness seems good (2nd time)
Cons:
Expensive. Large and heavy. Very poor quality control.

My first 24-105 was delivered the evening before I was going on a trip. I usually test things before taking them away but it is an "L" series and I expected it to be just great (like my 70-200 f4 L is).

The photos seemed ok but when I got home from my trip I looked at the images closely and they appeared just a bit soft. Testing confirmed the 24-105 was not as sharp as my 24-85. I even had a photo of the same subject from a previous trip that I had now from the 24-105 and it confirmed the results.

I sent the lens back and ordered another. The 2nd one is much sharper. Judging from the number of not so good lenses (and even discounting the standard forum rate of 50% user error) Wink it appears Canon does not have a handle on their quality control.

I wrote Canon about the first lens and their reply was if the lens continues to exhibit this problem that I should send it back. If it continues...!? Does it become broken in and get better? Not. I wrote Canon to say this looked like a form answer and this level of customer service was unacceptable for a problem with a new $1200 lens.

My recommendation: if you get a good one, they are good! The question is how many do you have to go through and what kind of support will you get from Canon?
Until Canon show consistent quality with this lens I would not recommend buying one unless you have a lot of patience and can return the not so good ones.

boB

Feb 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add boBQuincy to your Buddy List
DUTCH van ATL

Registered: Mar 8, 2004
Review Date: Feb 4, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,250.00

Pros: Sadly, I haven't found anything yet.
Cons:
Bad chromatic aberration, not at all sharp.

I purchased this lens along with the EF 70-200 F/2.8 L IS USM and a 1.4x II Extender for use on a 20D; and this lens has the misfortune of being compared side by side to the 70-200 with the 1.4x extender attached. There quite simply is no comparison.

The long lens with the extender is tack sharp and has no chromatic aberration that I can find. The 24-105 has horrible chromatic aberration and is not at all sharp - especially in comparison to the other.

These two lenses are my first foray into the Canon "L" lenses. I can see the added value in the 70-200. Obviously not in this one.

Granted, I probably (hopefully) have a bad one; but it is newer than the published cutoff number for the bad production lot. I've contacted Canon to see what can be done. Hopefully, this can be ameliorated.

Feb 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DUTCH van ATL to your Buddy List
gwhitegeog

Registered: Jun 16, 2005
Review Date: Feb 4, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

Overall, I think the conclusion is that Canon have a real problem with this lens. Possibly, it's an original design flaw compounded by poor quality control. Designing lenses is an expensive process so I am not sure what happened to the 'recalled models'. It's difficult to believe that a single problem (e.g. poor manufacturing on one element) could lead to all the problems reported. Now they are possibly clutching at straws. Certainly, a 24-105 lens is a challenge to make (which is why there are so few designs around) but it should be better than this. I think things have been made worse by most new buyers using it on a FF camera.

Expect a quick 'mark 2' version from Canon at the end of 2006, though they may not tell us or market it as such.

I don’t think you can predict how the lenses will perform irrespctive of the UT number, if you buy one. It seems to be hit and miss, which is outrageous.

Feb 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gwhitegeog to your Buddy List
jmogl

Registered: Jul 14, 2005
Review Date: Feb 3, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: IS, Range, sharp from 24-50, very good build quality
Cons:
Sharpness drops off after 50mm. Softer then 24-70 2.8L at same focal length, Price.

I have a 20D and wanted to replace my Sigma 24-70 2.8 with something better. I thought that the 24-105 with IS would fit the bill. The first 24-150 was very soft at 70mm and above, which was noticable without zooming in using photoshop.

I returned the lens and got a second copy. It was better at all focal lengths, but the performance still dropped off above 50 mm. I rented a 24-70 2.8L, and it beat the 24-105 at all focal lengths except 24mm which was about the same. At f4, the 24-70 clearly won which was surprising based on a review at Luminous Landscapes.

I returned the second copy and now I have a 24-70 2.8L on order. Hopefully it will be as good as the copy I rented....

If you decide that this lens may work for you, make sure you test it across all focal lengths. I may have just received two bad copies.

Optical quality is more important to me then IS.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jmogl to your Buddy List
xmattkx

Registered: Jul 4, 2005
Review Date: Feb 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, build quality, images are spectacularly sharp and contrast. USM is fast and silent and this new generation IS is invaluable!
Cons:
None- price maybe, but you get what you pay for and I thought this was worth it!

Picked this up at a great price, and just love it! Paired with a 10-22 on a 20D, you have a perfect lightweight walkaround setup. Really a spectacular lens!

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add xmattkx to your Buddy List
dmanthree

Registered: Feb 10, 2005
Review Date: Feb 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Range, build qualty, optical quality, handling.
Cons:
Size and weight, price, vignetting at certain combinations of focal length and aperture.

Previous posters have mentioned that this lens vignettes when used on a 5D, and they are correct--when used at wide angles and large apertures, it can get bad. However, even under the worst cases, it is easily fixable in PS with about 30 seconds of work. Also, it disappears pretty quickly when stopped down or zoomed out. For me this drawback is easily outweighed by the optical performance at other focal lengths and apertures; this is a very nice lens with a great range. After a few hundred shots, the vignetting actually got visible in one shot. So in real life, it's not a problem (for me). While optical quality and build quality are simply wonderful, size and weight and price aren't. This is a big lens, and pretty heavy, too. The supplied hood isn't much good, either. Designed to prevent cutoff at 24mm, it doesn't offer much shading at other focal lengths, so I usually leave it at home. On a 5D, the lens balances very nicely, the zoom ring is in the right spot, and it makes a real nice package. And then there's the price; I'd rate it higher if it cost a little less.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dmanthree to your Buddy List
steelflowers

Registered: Dec 15, 2004
Review Date: Feb 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,190.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Great IS, sharp, color & contrast first rate, excellent control of chromatic abrasion (better than the 24-70), nice focal range.
Cons:
Distortion, and flare issues.

I was very excited about this lens as the ultimate travel walk about lens for my 1DmkII. I waited for the reworked lenses to fix the flare issue. Purchased from B&H last week a batch #UT1004. For me it turns out the joy went to frustation quickly. The lens distorts heavily on the wide end. PS2 can fix it easily, but its an extra step for every shot I want to work with. But the real deal breaker for me is the flare issues with this glass. Living on the coast, and when I travel, I like to involve sunsets and sunrises in many of my photos (its the souce of natural lights beauty, right). At 24mm Flares like CRAZY! even stopped down to f/16 on overcast days. So, I sent in the lens to Canon complete with a printed sample picture of this vile flare. They were very professional and simply stated it was with in the lens specs. I now have a RMA to send it back to B&H. Perhaps we are all expecting to much from this lens, then again at $1200.00 perhaps not. I just think for now I will stick with lenses that make me happy. Damn, I really wanted to like this glass more than I do. But, if you dont mind a little extra PS2 distortion work, and not shooting into the sun... then truly by all means this lens is really hard to beat.

Feb 2, 2006