520 910603 Sep 12, 2014
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84° - 23° 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

Page:  20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27 · 28 · 29 · 30>  next

TechnoPhil

Registered: Jan 3, 2006
Location: San Marino
Review Date: Apr 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: leggera, robusta, ottima resa!
Cons:

Davvero un'ottima lente!!secondo me la migliore lente standard!!

si riesce a fare davvero tutto!

ottima risoluzione e wide degno della serie L!

Apr 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add TechnoPhil to your Buddy List
Achechino

Registered: Feb 1, 2006
Review Date: Mar 31, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, IS, ultra-fast focusing, build quality....
Cons:
Some geometrical distortions at ends (none significant if you're not an architectural shooter)

Bought a (good, I think) copy of this last january, and my photos are a step forward since then.
Quality is really high, focusing is ultra fast and images looks sharp, a lot.
The only negative aspect is the distortion (is there all the range) if you shoot architectural, because is extrange mix between barrel and pincushion, hard to fix. But not noticeable if used far from geometrical compositions.

Great lens.

Mar 31, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Achechino to your Buddy List
G Lund

Registered: Dec 9, 2005
Review Date: Mar 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast AF, not heavy, the IS, great color and saturation, very useful even at f/4, near 100% keeper rate.
Cons:
None yet

I have only had it about a month but, it has been on the 5D most of that time. This is a lens to have. If you are looking for a good all around L lens to be your first one, this will hook you on L glass.

Mar 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add G Lund to your Buddy List
lamancha

Registered: Mar 23, 2006
Review Date: Mar 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,175.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Weight, Image-Stabilization, focal range
Cons:

Just purchased this lens. I was torn as to whether I should trade in my 24-70 2.8 (which I loved) for this . While I loved the 24-70 I wanted more reach and more versatility on my 5D (I also have a 20D). I wanted a "killer" walk-around lens if at all possible so I took the the chance and took the plunge. I had read the many mixed reviews (involving earlier initial copies of this lens) and was somewhat concerned as to whether it was worth the money or the aggravation of possibly getting a "bad" copy. I bought it based on the fact that Canon appears to have responded to initial bad press/reviews about this lens and reworked it in later batches that it produced.

I must say that I am absolutely pleased with this lens (at least the copy that I got from later batch). It is tack sharp throughout the entire range, the IS works terrifically and the color is amazing. I thought I would never part with my 24-70 because it was so good, but I must say that I am more than glad that I did trade it in for this lens. Part of my decision had to do with whether I wanted to give up my 2.8 "fast lens" for an f4. When all was said and done it really depends on how you're going to use the lens. Since I'm not a working professional (I just love the art of photography) I came to the conclusion that, for me, working with an f4 lens was more than doable because of the added Image Stabilization on the 24-105 f4 and the fact that 90% of my indoor shooting is done with a 580EX flash. This is an absolutely great "walk-around" lens. This is the lens that you "must" take on trips for candid fast shooting and over-all sharp beautiful pictures.

Let me say again, this is a "terrific" lens. You won't be dissapointed if you decide to take the plunge. Just make sure you test it out when buying to make sure your copy is all that it should and can be. At least you now know that there are some terrific copies of this lens. So, buy it and enjoy yourself!

Mar 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lamancha to your Buddy List
muevelonyc

Registered: Nov 18, 2005
Review Date: Mar 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,037.92 | Rating: 9

Pros: Extreme versatility (wide focal range + IS), Sharpness, build quality, contrast, Fast AF, f4 through the entire focal range
Cons:
Price (but totally worth it!), weight (testament of build quality: Solid), very slight distotions at the very ends of the focal range, but any zoom is prone to that, but on this lens is extremely barely noticable

I was shooting at the Nationals comptetition of Westminster Kennel Club where I saw 99% of the staff and professional magazine photographers using this lens. I already was researching the lens, and chatted with a few of them why they chose this particular lens over the fast 2.8L offerings. All replied exactly with the same answer. Pure versatility. While I was there swapping lenses between shots missing a few good opportunities, they were popping away. With such a wide range of focal lengths that extends into the short range telephoto you don't need to swap lenses. I was sold, and finally bought it for myself as an early birthday present. With L grade glass, you get the sharpness that almost approaches the quality of primes (not quite as sharp as primes, but is quite close). See my benchmark on that topic here where I bench it against my EF 50mm f/1.4 @ 50mm f/4 & f/8:

With IS you get stability in low light conditions (although not fast enough for action shots in low light), so you won't necessarily need a tripod/monopod in some situations. If you have a steady hand, you can still get good pictures at 1/15th.

The lens is heavy and large, but for what it's worth, it's expected and warranted for its versatility and it's sturdy (metal) construction. Some argue that it's pricy, but you get what you paid for.

What could I reallly ask for? Well if it was f/2.8 it'd probably be the ideal walk around lens as with that speed, it'd be better suited for low light. However, as it's stands it's the near perfect walk-around lens. It will be the only lens I take with me to my honeymoon in Hawaii so I can travel light. Smile

Highly recommended. You simply cannot go wrong.

Mar 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add muevelonyc to your Buddy List
rwelliott

Registered: Jun 12, 2005
Review Date: Mar 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,245.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Just got the 24-105. Sharp as a tack at 4.0 24-30mm. No noticable flare. At 105mm lost some sharpness and saturation at 4PM on the beach during overcase conditions. IS is excellent. A great walk-around lens.
Cons:
Pricey

I plan to use this lens this week during an AVP (Volleyball) shoot. We will see. Still may need a 2.8 for blur.

Mar 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rwelliott to your Buddy List
hijkim

Registered: Oct 27, 2005
Review Date: Mar 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS, Sharp, Fast AF and Range. Good bulld quality.
Cons:
F/4, but for L lens with IS at this price, I can't complaint.

I now have two Canon L lenses this and 17-40 and they both are supurb lenses. I got this lens as a christmas gift and I opened it before the christmas and took it out and started to test out the lens. The IS is just amazing, I was kind of dizzy at first, my hands were shaking but the view finder was showing something different and I could not get use to it at first. The 99% of the pictures were all sharp which I could not say with 17-40L and colors were about the same as 17-40L. I don't know if it is just me but both of my L lenses have little warm tone to it especially when taking photos of people the skin tone comes out softer and warmer than my other lenses, but then it could be just my computer monitor settings.

This lens is on my camera 90% of the time. For me it is a normal to telephoto lens on my 350D. I could not say it is a wide lens on 1.6 crop. It is perfect for portraits, I would not use it for taking wide angle photos unless it is on a 5D or 1D. I'm saving up for 5D at the moment so that I don't have to buy the digital only 10-?mm lenses but this summer I might have to get 10-20 unless I get a bonus from work.

Anyway, I'm really happy that I have 24-105L and if you can afford it I can recommnad this lens. Even though it was a gift, basically it was out of my pocket. I need permissions form 'the other one' to buy anything.

Mar 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hijkim to your Buddy List
dimisp

Registered: Sep 1, 2005
Location: Greece
Review Date: Mar 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sturdy yet light enough, very sharp, extemely fast focusing, IS.
Cons:
A bit pricey.

This is an extremely well made lens. I was also considering the 24-70/2.8 but after testing both lenses for an hour or so, it seemed that for my needs, this was the better suited lens.

All in all:
Built quality is excellent (as expected from all "L" series lens and actual price)
Focusing speed is ultra fast and USM seems a lot more quiet than my 85/1.8. I can hardly hear it.
IS delivers as promised: 2-3 stops depending on circumstances and individual ability to remain still. Actually makes a difference in several situations where I would normally need to pump up the iso. This is my first IS lens so I cannot compare to earlier versions, however the noise it makes is very low, barely noticeable clicks.
CA is very well handled, something that the aforementioned 85/1.8 fails to do.
I got one of the newer copies so I cannot commend on the flare issue of earlier copies.

Canon certainly did well on this one. Highly recommended.

Mar 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dimisp to your Buddy List
dlm32067

Registered: Mar 17, 2005
Review Date: Mar 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,149.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Nice focal range. L Color saturation and contrast. Sharp!
Cons:
Exposure?

I just received my copy and so far, I'm very pleased. After reading some of the reviews here of this lens, I decided to do some testing. I compared this lens with three other lenses; the EF 70-200 f/4L, the EF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5, and the EF 50 f/1.8. I compared this lens to each of the above lenses at the same focal length.

The results;
At 28, 35, & 50 the 24-105 killed the 28-105.
At 50 the 50 f/1.8 surpased the 24-105 f/4L (no real surprise).
At 70 & 105 the 24 -105 and the 28 - 105 were dead even!
At 70 & 105 the 70 - 200 was only marginally sharper.

The above test was made using the same subject at the same distance on a tripod. Resolution was determined by the nik Sharpener pro "Real Resolution" Test.

With that out of the way, I'd have to day the lens is excellent, although, not knock your socks off. The Color and Contrast are what I've come to expect from L glass.

My only concern is with exposure. I'm not quite sure how it does it, but when I shoot raw and expose for the highlights, I have to add +1 EV (I usually only requre +1/3 EV). This I don't understand, but I accept for great Images.

Mar 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dlm32067 to your Buddy List
Lawless

Registered: Apr 8, 2005
Review Date: Mar 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, colour saturation, excellent range and the IS works great.
Cons:

I guess I got lucky because I have what seems to be, an extremely sharp copy of this lens on my first try. I tested it against my 17-40 f4 and my 70-200 f4 and it is on the same level as these very sharp lenses. It actually surpasses the 17-40 @ f4 slightly. The color saturation is excellent, and the IS lives up to the hype. Perfect compliment to my lens line up.
The 24mm end isn't that wide on my 20D, but a lot of my photos are taken at this length, so it works out nicely.
Get a sharp one, and you won’t be disappointed.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Lawless to your Buddy List
JohnJ80

Registered: May 11, 2005
Review Date: Mar 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,095.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Nice portable size, 24 is 'somewhat' wide on a 1.6X crop camera, very sharp, great contrast
Cons:

I have none of the flare issues that have been reported on early models. My copy is very sharp, has that great L color and saturation.

I like its size, relatively compact for its range.

J.

Mar 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JohnJ80 to your Buddy List
carstenw

Registered: Dec 25, 2005
Review Date: Mar 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, fast AF, good balance with 5D, awesome IS.
Cons:
no reasonable complaints.

i bought this lens in a kit with a 5D, so the price is an estimate.

i love this lens! i have taken so many shots with this and the 5D which i could not have gotten with another lens like the 24-70 (i don't do sports) or a 1Ds, with its less good high ISO. in a dark museum, i have taken sharp pictures at speeds as low as 1 second, by leaning on things, holding my breath and relying on the IS.

it is sharp (within reason), has great balance and a solid feel, and everything about it works well. my one less positive experience was focusing trouble in a dark zoo with a polarizer on, but these are pretty tough conditions, and i got the pictures anyway, so i didn't deduct any points for that.

this lens is the perfect walk-about lens for the 5D. the only reason i didn't want to give it 10s is that somewhere out there is a better Leica lens... then again, that leica lens will cost triple, won't have IS, and will be 35-70, so this lens deserves the 10 overall. for what it is, i don't think it could be significantly better. just make sure you got a sharp copy. test test test, tripod, MLU, high shutter speeds, until you know it is sharp. then enjoy.

Mar 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add carstenw to your Buddy List
Tario

Registered: Mar 23, 2005
Review Date: Mar 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,035.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, light weight, good contrast, teh range is superb and comes to make this lens very versatile.
Cons:
f/4 a fast lens in this range would be optimal-or even f/3.5.

A very versatile lens, ccan be a carry on lens. It's weight and size is very friendly. I am happy with it's performance. I can't get into a detailed explanation on actual scientific fundamentals on this lens but I can say coming from a Canon 17-85 EF-S..the 24-105L is a great plus.

Mar 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tario to your Buddy List
pprht

Registered: Mar 11, 2006
Review Date: Mar 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Zoom range, IS, versality
Cons:
Some soft copy's, some with lens flares and such. Someone shuld seriously tell canon they need to test these better

I only have 2 lenses currently, and using them both on my EOS 20d, though im buying a EOS 1d whenever I see a cheap one.

With 2 cams, the EOS 1d and EOS 20d I will have everything from 20-168mm covered with my two lenses, this and the EF 16-35 f2.8L.. For my use thats just incredibly convinient.

Mar 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pprht to your Buddy List
parsons

Registered: Mar 29, 2004
Review Date: Mar 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $699.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, light, good colour response.
Cons:
possibly little pricey, very small amount of CA, but only at extreme dark/light areas. but generally none.

bought at park cameras. tried three copies to see any differnces. all looked exacly the same on my friends laptop.
had for a week, taken loads of shots. very impressed with sharpness & clour. well worth the money.
superb all through the range. sharp @ both ends.
ive got 1dmk2 and obviously not sotfening or vingetting at the edges.

try before you buy:-)

ive got a gooden

Mar 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add parsons to your Buddy List
clocksley

Registered: Mar 7, 2006
Review Date: Mar 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IS - best yet. Weight and size - balance is perfect. Image quality razor sharp.
Cons:
Bit pricey - but I even forgot that when I was using it, worth paying for this quality!

Wow - a word I used 10 times in the first minute of using this lens.

To put it into perspective - I have a 24-70 f/2.8 which is razor sharp and being f/2.8 it was the best I was going to get in low light, correct? WRONG! The IS on this 24-105 is amazing, and not just compensates for f/4 instead of f/2.8 but I can take better, sharper and stable images at 1/20th at f/4 than any speed the f/2.8 could be cut down to.
The colours seem more vivid on my 20D than before, and it has inspired me to use the camera more than I did before as it is such a pleasure to use.

I get this overwhelming sense that I am cheating by using it!

If you are in any doubt about which lens to get to cover this range then don't be! Save up, sell the wife, re-mortgage, whatever you need to do - provided you get a sharp copy (and you should always do that whichever lens you buy!) you will have no regrets at all.

Mar 9, 2006