517 905034 Jul 19, 2014
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84 - 23 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

Page:  20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27 · 28 · 29 · 30>  next

Psilonaught

Registered: Jan 3, 2006
Review Date: Apr 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Clarify, Sharpness and good zoom range (especially on 1.6 DSRL). Almost the perfect walk-around lens
Cons:
Weight. Serious landscapers not using a FF dSLR will require a wider lens in the kit bag to compensate for the 24mm low end

Having used a 17-85mm IS USM for 6 months I was starting to wonder if I would ever see sharp images on my 350D

Having spend an eternity deciding what to replace it with I finally decided to cough up the $$$ and buy the 24-105. It also has IS which was something I wasn't prepared to lose, and works exceptionally well

For me the longer bottom end compared to the 17-85 is more than compensated by the sharp, sharp and detailed images. The long end is quite decent too.

Add a decent ultra wide angle and you have a very very good walk-around kit bag with only 2 lenses.

Apr 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Psilonaught to your Buddy List
henris

Registered: Jun 19, 2005
Review Date: Apr 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent range, IS is great, solid build, nice colors and contrast
Cons:
cost

Excellent lens! Replaced my kit lens when I purchased an XT and sold my 300D Kit. Love it!

Apr 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add henris to your Buddy List
allanyue

Registered: Jan 29, 2006
Review Date: Apr 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: L-Series quality, very sharp pics at all focal lengths, weight, great walk around lens.
Cons:
A little soft at F4 but thats being very picky, its F4 but thats what i paid for.

I had the 28-135 IS for many years and retired it for this new L series lens. I've been doing alot of work with this lens for the past few months and i must say that this lens is one hell of a performer. Super sharp pics on my 1dsmk2n and my 20D. Weight is a blessing and IS is helpful during low light work.

A very versitile lens, highly recommended.

Cheers Smile

Apr 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add allanyue to your Buddy List
fluxomatic

Registered: Apr 21, 2006
Review Date: Apr 21, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Build, IS
Cons:
CA, i stopped testing further after seeing it..

I thought a long time what would be my first L. Looking trough my shorts of the last years I decided on the 24-105 to fit best for my purposes.

After reading the occasional bad reviews in aspect of CA, this was the first thing I tried to test. My experience is shurely not high, but I know how to cause CA to show and it showed. I compared what I shot directly with my Sigma 18-200 with equivalent exposure settings and must say that the Sigma compared better in regard of CA. This was when both where "wide" open in the tele-range.

I dont know If I did anything wrong or can't expect everything from an L lens, but I stopped testing and will return this lense intermediatly since there wasn't any other optical "wow", too. For me, it is simply to much money for what I got and I hope this was only a bad copy. I'm still amazed what my crappy 50 1:1.8 does optically in comparision to my Sigma, but this one didn't surprise me other than the excellent Build and the IS.

Apr 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fluxomatic to your Buddy List
msavin

Registered: Dec 3, 2003
Review Date: Apr 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,249.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: just an outstanding lens. overall better opticaly than the 24-70 f2.8 excellent build quality.
Cons:
slightly more distortion at both extreme focal lenghts compared to the 24-70.

works perfectly on my 1dsmk11 which says a lot about its optical quality.

Apr 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add msavin to your Buddy List
njw1224

Registered: Aug 10, 2005
Review Date: Apr 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Build quality. Comes with hood.
Cons:
Low contrast, soft edges, chromatic aberration, sharpness not up to L standards.

I was very disappointed with this lens. When I first tested it I thought the images were somewhat soft (tested on a 30D). So I did some comparisons with my 17-85 Canon non-L lens at 24, 60, and 85mm. I also tested the tele end of the lens against my Canon 70-200 L-IS at 70 and 105mm. All tests were done on a tripod at f8. The 17-85 and 70-200 both blew away this lens in terms of overall sharpness, contrast, edge detail & vignetting, and CA. I know some of you will say that the 17-85 isn't a good comparison because it's specifically made for the APS sensor size, but L-series optics should still match or exceed it for the price you pay. Plus, with full-frame lenses like the 24-105, I'm only using the center of the lens image, so I should be getting the best the lens can offer. I sent the lens back for an exchange. I'm hoping I just got a bad copy. I have other L lenses, so I know what to expect from them - and this lens didn't deliver.

Apr 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add njw1224 to your Buddy List
yanka

Registered: Dec 17, 2005
Location: Latvia
Review Date: Apr 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: 24-105, sharp, IS,
Cons:
Weight small (disbalance Canon 5D), F4, Soft in 105mm, price

I would recommend this lens as the KIT with 5D, in this case the price is good, otherwise I chose 24-70 F2.8L -is better quality.

Apr 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add yanka to your Buddy List
streetshooter

Registered: Oct 17, 2005
Review Date: Apr 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,079.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: This lens focuses very fast and accurate even in low light. I have not noticed any CA that wasn't anticipated. The lens is very sharp and stopped down to 8 or 11 it's as good as it gets. The color transmits very natural and the contrast is excellent. It's light and relatively small considering the focal lengths it covers. I have been using L series lens including the 35 and 24 on the streets. Now, with this lens, I have more freedom with my chosen perspective.
Cons:
The lens hood fits good but can turn and fall off easily. I lost it last weekend on a shoot in Atlantic City. I ordered a new one from Amazon for $60.00 and it arrived yesterday...it too fits good but turns easy....otherwise, no complaints....don

Great all around carry lens. Covers the range and does the job it cracks up to do. It's a real winner....you can't go wrong for the money...don

Apr 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add streetshooter to your Buddy List
ktomkins

Registered: Feb 28, 2006
Review Date: Apr 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: nice zoom range
Cons:
Severe distortion, vignetting, and Chromatic aberration

I was really disappointed with this lens. It was quite sharp throughout the range, but there was also a lot of barrel distortion and CA throughout the entire range. The CA was no better than the $400 28-300 Tamron that I also have. It also had a lot of vignetting at 24mm. I ended up sending it back.

Apr 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ktomkins to your Buddy List
KeithA

Registered: Oct 11, 2004
Review Date: Apr 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Color,Contrast, IS & SHARPNESS!
Cons:

I was having a hard time deciding to buy this lens. It seems people who are unhappy with it are much more likely to submit a review (at least on other sites). I have been very happy with this lens on my 20D. I was torn between this lens and the 24-70l. I was able to borrow a friends "good" copy of the 24-70L and found it quite nice but was looking for the extra range. I then tried out the 24-105L, I found it just as sharp while shooting various subjects. I didnt notice any of the problems others have had but didnt try that hard to find them. If you are thinking of buying your first "L" lens you cant go wrong with this one. It quality over the lower end len's will be easy to see.

Apr 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add KeithA to your Buddy List
julianpan

Registered: Feb 21, 2006
Review Date: Apr 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, stunning IS, solid build, nice color/contract. Did I mention sharp?
Cons:
It's a gift. So price is not an issue for me. The zoom is a little bit too tight.

I just got 24-105L as a gift from my brother. It's just amazing! It's about as sharp as my 50mm f/1.4. The color is nice and rich. Bokeh looks smooth, not like some pics I saw on pbase. I used to own a 28-135 IS. The IS on 24-105 is much better than the one on 28-135. I just took a picture for my girlfriend. Indoor, f/4, iso 100, with build-in flash. I got amazing sharp images with shutter speed at "1 second"!!!

100% crop no post process sample

Apr 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add julianpan to your Buddy List
TimesUP

Registered: Feb 6, 2006
Review Date: Apr 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,125.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It's "L" glass, what more needs to be said? Sharp, Crisp, and did I mention its "L" glass? Super quiet! Great match to my 5D
Cons:
Price is a tad high but it's "L" glass....

Well, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a pro and this is my first "L" purchase but I must say I'm impressed. Just picked it up this week and cannot put the camera down.

I tried to take the "poor pros" route of purchasing the fast Sigma twins....the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 70-200 f/2.8 and while both of them cost the same as the 24-105 there is no comparison. The IS totaly lives up to the claimed 3 stop difference. The lens is dead quiet, excellent in the few low-light situations I've been in and there is NO comparison in sharpness. the Sigma could not even compare to my 17-85 IS lens that I had on the 20D. Yes, I did purchase the Sigma's on ebay so that could have been part of the problem but I did learn my lession.

Once you go "L" to cannot go back!

Apr 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TimesUP to your Buddy List
TONYWORKSHOP

Registered: Mar 31, 2006
Review Date: Apr 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: IS, ultra-fast focusing, build quality, good color, focal range
Cons:
Price, not a right lens for Canon 20D

I am disappointed on the perfomance of this lens on a my 20D. but it is still a good lens and it works perfect on a 5D body.

I have some portrait pictures taken by my 20D with this lens:

Apr 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add TONYWORKSHOP to your Buddy List
TechnoPhil

Registered: Jan 3, 2006
Location: San Marino
Review Date: Apr 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: leggera, robusta, ottima resa!
Cons:

Davvero un'ottima lente!!secondo me la migliore lente standard!!

si riesce a fare davvero tutto!

ottima risoluzione e wide degno della serie L!

Apr 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add TechnoPhil to your Buddy List
Achechino

Registered: Feb 1, 2006
Review Date: Mar 31, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, IS, ultra-fast focusing, build quality....
Cons:
Some geometrical distortions at ends (none significant if you're not an architectural shooter)

Bought a (good, I think) copy of this last january, and my photos are a step forward since then.
Quality is really high, focusing is ultra fast and images looks sharp, a lot.
The only negative aspect is the distortion (is there all the range) if you shoot architectural, because is extrange mix between barrel and pincushion, hard to fix. But not noticeable if used far from geometrical compositions.

Great lens.

Mar 31, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Achechino to your Buddy List
G Lund

Registered: Dec 9, 2005
Review Date: Mar 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast AF, not heavy, the IS, great color and saturation, very useful even at f/4, near 100% keeper rate.
Cons:
None yet

I have only had it about a month but, it has been on the 5D most of that time. This is a lens to have. If you are looking for a good all around L lens to be your first one, this will hook you on L glass.

Mar 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add G Lund to your Buddy List

517 905034 Jul 19, 2014