524 919697 Jan 21, 2015
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84 - 23 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

Page:  20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27 · 28 · 29 · 30>  next

aero145

Registered: Jul 1, 2006
Review Date: Jul 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: L glass - light
Cons:

When I tried this lens, I thought I was trying a marvelous piece of glass.

When I looked at the pictures after I had photographed, the photos were very good. But when I looked at the photos on computer screens, the quality was bad! Soft focus, and blurry.

The IS works, but not well.

Don't go for this lens, go for the uncle: 24-70mm f/2.8L USM!

Jul 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add aero145 to your Buddy List
DaveFouchey

Registered: Jun 25, 2006
Review Date: Jun 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight for the focal range, IS and L quality glass
Cons:
none at all

Second L lens I have purchased for use on the 5D the other being the 24-70 f2.8 L. These two compliment each other nicely. I find the IS to be a great help in out door shots, the color and sharpness are amazing. It is my #1 walkabout lens. Light enough to carry all day, good range and even at f4 works well in moderate light for me. It makes an ideal companion to the full fram 5D.

Jun 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DaveFouchey to your Buddy List
jitters

Registered: May 17, 2006
Review Date: Jun 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,199.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great travel lens to be with, sharp pictures
Cons:
none so far

I returned a 24-70 F2.8 L to get this lens. I do not see any flare issues and the pictures are sharper than the 24-70 F2.8L. Highly recommended

Jun 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jitters to your Buddy List
ctantra

Registered: Jun 21, 2006
Location: Indonesia
Review Date: Jun 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,165.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness and contrast across their aperture and focal length ranges, (even at wide open f/4), Image Stabilization, superb L quality built, relatively light and compact.
Cons:
Hardly noticeable.

I return the EF 24-70mm f/2.8 for this one. As for indoor shooting, I have EF 50mm f/1.4. I think EF 24-105mm f/4 IS is one of best general purpose lens Canon ever made. My copy (2006 production) doesn't have flare issue and works perfectly. Buy it, you'll never regret it.

Jun 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ctantra to your Buddy List
perpera

Registered: Mar 11, 2005
Review Date: Jun 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very good range. Sharp at all apertures. Contrasty with good neutral colours. Nice Bokeh.
Cons:

Very good allround on 1DM2.

Jun 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add perpera to your Buddy List
jjarecki

Registered: Nov 22, 2005
Review Date: Jun 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: I have just acquired this lens and have taken the first test shots with my old (beloved) D60. Will test it on the 5D shortly. Let me say I was not a fan of the Canon IS lens line...in the beginning. I tested a telephoto (believe it was a 200 or 300 mm lens) with the IS system when they first came out, and I was underwhelmed. Never bothered to buy one till the 24-105 came along, and it wasn't the clencher in closing the deal for me. After the initial tests, in low light hand held, there is a marked improvment in my images. I have tested myself and I can usually get a sharp image wide open at 1/10 of a second (its true). The IS system really works...and I will be seeing what my new shake free limits are shortly. So two thumbs up on the IS system in the lens. As far as sharpness, color and contrast go...the lens is beautiful. Can't talk about vignetting or distortion as yet, but so far on the D60 things are looking real good. As of now 2 thumbs way up for the lens!
Cons:
It is a pricey lens...no doubt about it. I got a good deal so the bite wasn't painful.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jjarecki to your Buddy List
Julius

Registered: Jan 26, 2002
Review Date: Jun 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,249.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent built quality like all Canon L lenses, contrasty and sharp at all focal lengths on the full size sensor camera.
Cons:
None found so far.

This is a dream lens on a full field camera, the zoom range is perfect for an all around lens. I found it to be very sharp and contrasty at all focal lengths at f/8-f/16. It has more than average vignetting which is still visible at f/11 but this can be easily corrected in Photoshop. This lens stays on my 5D 90% of the time.
All in all I am very pleased with the performance of this lens.

Jun 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Julius to your Buddy List
Scho

Registered: Jan 29, 2002
Review Date: Jun 16, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,099.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Good construction.
Cons:
Not sharp

I bought this lens to use for general walk around shooting. I have not been pleased at all with image quality. Mediocre sharpness, barrel and pincushion distortion, and terrible bokeh. This one is going back and I'll stick with my primes (20mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 135mm f2/L).

Jun 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Scho to your Buddy List
photo1a

Registered: Feb 4, 2006
Review Date: Jun 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good build quality.
Cons:
Not as sharp focusing as I expected it to be.

Update 1-16-2014: I sent the lens for cleaning and recalibration several month ago, and am very pleased with the lens. It is tack sharp and needs little sharpening in post processing. I am using the lens with a Canon 5DIII.

I got his for a general purpose lens. As an L lens,I expected it to be very sharp. However, it is nowhere as sharp as my 70-300 or 70-200 on the long end, and o better than my 17-85 on the short end. I sent it to the factory for calibration twice, but it still disappoints me. It focuses about like my 28-135.

Jun 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add photo1a to your Buddy List
neilcuk05

Registered: May 14, 2006
Review Date: Jun 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great build quality, not too heavy, fast and silent USM, sharp (enough) wide open, and sharp (enough) from 70-105, an ideal walkaround with a 10-xx on a 1.6x camera
Cons:
Bit pricey, but it's the only option in its range

I love this lens... the USM is great, and i'm particularly impressed with the accuracy of the focus at wide angle. For example, with a lot of lenses i've used in the past, taking advantage of the parfocal nature of the lens to zoom in, focus, then zoom out again often gets better results

However with the 24-105, focusing @ 24mm then zooming in to 105mm and re-focusing more often than not results in NO adjustment to the focus. I guess it's small things like that that make a lens an 'L'

The zoom ring is a bit stiff but that'll loosen up over time. Rather stiff than loose !

The lens is simply a joy to use.

Some may argue F/4 isn't fast enough - but there is no faster alternative with the range, which suggests to me that, given the weight of Canon's 24-70 F/2.8, a 24-105 F/2.8 would be impractical to use as a walkaround lens

It's an ideal compliment to my Sigma 10-20, which covers the wide angle nicely. 24mm on a crop camera is wide enough of my usage, and I don't find myself wanting to swap lenses every five minutes. Also, i found that 18/17mm isn't wide enough for me in many situations - so having an extra lens to cover the ultra wide was ideal

Highly recommended - you get what you pay for, the only lens in its range, and some serious quality for it too

Jun 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add neilcuk05 to your Buddy List
YYClickit

Registered: Jun 13, 2006
Review Date: Jun 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP, IS, build quality is excellent.
Cons:
Could be wider on a 1.6x crop, but I knew this before buying.

This is a fantastic lens. From what I can tell, the resolution exceeds that of my 8.0MP XT sensor. No noticable sharpness drop at f/4, either.

The IS is a great bonus and lets me take a lot of pictures that otherwise would not be possible without a tripod.

Highly recommended - I certainly didn't want to fork out the cash for this lens, but in this case, you get what you pay for!

Jun 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add YYClickit to your Buddy List
JanPhoto

Registered: Feb 27, 2006
Review Date: Jun 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: I am pretty demanding customer and in my book this lens for my line of Canon digital SLR's is a "swiss knife" tool. Sharp, excellent color reproduction, fast focus, silent, relatively small .....
Cons:
... do not recall any at this moment ...

I am using this lens as on "all time" on camera "glass" for it's connivance ... in some instances even in studio for still-life shooting since quality of focusing and it's sharpens in my opinion is so good. Recently I have purchased 30D and found that on this body this lens is superior too. Well I can sing on and on about this lens how ever for those of you thinking to purchase this glass well do not wait any longer, for this one money are well spend ....

Jun 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JanPhoto to your Buddy List
python2000

Registered: Nov 11, 2005
Review Date: Jun 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,219.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Awesome!!! Great IQ, build quality, range. Everything I was hoping for and more.
Cons:
That I didn't get it earlier.

I'm an avid amateur who uses an XT. I shoot mostly for family members and myself. This lens is near perfect for what it does. You knew it was 24 to 105, you knew it was f/4, and you knew it was $1200 all before you bought it. But what you may not know is how nice the pictures are, how quickly the lens focuses, how it feels on your camera, and how nice a big range is on one lens.

I used to have the 17-85 and really loved having 17mm, but was willing to give it up. I contemplated getting the 17-55 but wasn't sure I would appreciate a shorter range. I don't like changing lenses and I really like the ability to get the normal to zoom. (I also have the 10-22 so am not worried about losing the wide end.)

I have no regrets about buying this lens. As much as I love my 70-200 f/4 I hope that Canon comes out with a 100-300 f/4 IS that is smaller and better IQ than the 100-400.

Jun 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add python2000 to your Buddy List
silmaril

Registered: May 5, 2006
Review Date: Jun 7, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Brilliantly sharp with great colour rendition
Cons:
Vignetting and very small CA.

This is my second review after using this lens more extensively.

This is a significant improvement to the EF-S 17-85MM. Incredibly sharp with great colours. The only thing I am not happy about is vignetting which is evident even after stopping down. This isn't a major issue as it can be fixed in CS but annoying all the same as it is a L lense and issues like this should be non-existent.

Ideally if it is f2.8, it would be the ultimate walkaround lens with a FF camera/ I won't deduct any points as I know that it was an f4 when buying it since it was advertised as f4!!

I am not sure if it is my imagination, but some of my pictures feel very 2D. Maybe it is "too sharp"??? Seems a little weird.

Jun 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add silmaril to your Buddy List
jimdavies

Registered: Apr 5, 2005
Review Date: Jun 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, IS, Weight, Build Quality, Range
Cons:

Much of my review is said below. The lens is sharp (even wide open) and has a very useful range (even on a 20D).

The IS really is superb opening up some very creative opportunities.

It's the standard lens on my 20D and only the 70-200 f2.8L IS can prize it off for any legth of time.

I love it :-)

Jun 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jimdavies to your Buddy List

Review Date: Jun 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent built quality, sharp, IS, size
Cons:

I love this lens. Its on my camera most of the time. Excellent walk around. I cannot think of any other lens to have all the time.

Jun 4, 2006