520 910520 Sep 12, 2014
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84° - 23° 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

Page:  20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27 · 28 · 29 · 30>  next

jamach

Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Review Date: Jul 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: easy to work with
Cons:

Stunning sharpness, quick focus, 3 stop stabilizer, neutral color, and now I have many more keepers to process after every outing with this lens. Simply outstanding performance that will take your breath away, even for a zoom. It does people portraits, general photography, and flower shots with equal aplomb. The bokeh can be increased to butter smoothness with addition of the Canon 12mm extension tube. The minimum focusing distance of 1.5 feet is great, and the 500D is a nice addition for super closeups. The performance begins at F4. With 105mm available, sporting events such as rodeos, indoor, and close magnification are all possible with stabilization! The 24mm is not a limiter for me since I do not do ultra wide angle pictures, but does provide a nice perspective that is wide with less distortion. Get this lens because it does most jobs superbly with image stabilization and L quality.

Jul 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jamach to your Buddy List
Dr Strangelove

Registered: Jul 6, 2006
Review Date: Jul 15, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: In concept the 24-105 should be the best regular use lens around, but I feel that this lens was more designed for crpped cameras like the 20D rather than FF cameras. The size and weight were great. The IS is super. The AF is fast.
Cons:
I went into the shop today with a budget for two L lenses and a 28-105 f3.5-4.5 and the 100mm macro at home. I shot the 70-200 f2.8 IS, the 24-105 f4 IS, and the 17-40 f4 with full intent on going home with the 70-200 and 24-105. I went outside with each lens and snapped the brick wall at wide open and f16 at top and bottom zoom ranges; 4 shots per lens. I downloaded onto the 30" screen with PS2 and was shocked at the level of spherical/barrel distortion at 24 on the 24-105. It totally skewed the groutlines on the wall in a ring pattern fully within the field. The vignetting was as bad or worse as my 28-105. For my 5D, I want the best. The 24-105 was also lacking sharpness compared to the 70-200 even at f16. I found 70% lesser distortion with minimal vignetting on the 24-70 wide open , and no problems on the 17-40. The 24-70 is too big for walkaround, so I decided to keep my 28-105 non L until something better comes along. I may have a hard look at Sigma's offerings for mid ranges. I went home with the 70-200 f2.8 IS and the 17-40 F4. My final thought is an agreement with prior opinions that in concept, the 24-105 should be the best walkaround lens around, but I feel that this lens was more designed for crpped cameras like the 20D rather than FF cameras due to the unacceptable distortion and vignetting at open aperatures.

This is my first post here and I'm sorry it has to be a pan.

I went into the shop today with a budget for two L lenses for my 5D. I have 28-105 f3.5-4.5 and the 100mm macro at home.

I looked at the 70-200L f2.8 IS, 24-105L f4 IS, 24-70L f2.8, and the 17-40L f4 with full intent on going home with the 70-200L and 24-105L. The size and weight of the 24-105L is great. The IS is quiet. The AF is fast. I went outside with each lens and snapped the brick wall wide open and at f16 at top and bottom zoom ranges; 4 shots per lens. I downloaded onto a 30" screen with PS2

I was shocked at the level of spherical/barrel distortion at 24mm on the 24-105L. It totally skewed the groutlines on the wall in a ring pattern fully within the field. The vignetting was as bad or worse without a UV filter as my 28-105 is with one. The 24-105L was lacking sharpness compared to the 70-200L even at f16, and about even with the 24-70. I found 70% lesser barrel distortion with minimal vignetting on the 24-70L wide open, and no problems on the 17-40L. The 24-70L is too big and heavy for walkaround, so I decided to keep my 28-105L non L until something better and portable comes along. I may have a hard look at Sigma's offerings for mid ranges.

I went home with the 70-200L f2.8 IS and the 17-40L F4.

My final thought is an agreement with prior opinions that in concept, the 24-105L should be the best walkaround lens around, but I feel that this lens was more designed for cropped cameras like the 20D rather than FF cameras due to the unacceptable distortion and vignetting at open aperatures.

Jul 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dr Strangelove to your Buddy List
HairsOnMyChest

Registered: Feb 1, 2006
Review Date: Jul 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: color, sharpness, weight, just about everything
Cons:
not a darn thing (would be amazing if it was f2.8)

i have a sharp copy and it is amazing. people complain about it being expensive and a tad slow (f/4) but those specs are right on the box when you buy it, so it is not a huge surprize.
i have both the 24-70L and this lens, and i have to tell you guys that my 24-70L doesn't get used very much now.

Jul 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add HairsOnMyChest to your Buddy List
Lani Kai

Registered: Oct 3, 2005
Review Date: Jul 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS, range, build, image quality... Pretty much everything
Cons:
A tad pricey

Some say 24mm is not wide enough on a 1.6x, but considering many point-and-shoot cameras have a 35mm equivalent focal length of 38mm at the wide end, I didn't find this to be too much of a problem. In fact it complements my 10-22 very well; a reason why I chose the 24-105mm f/4L IS over the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. And it comes with a hood and case.
The IS mechanism is impressive and much has been improved over previous IS lenses. I get plenty of usable shots with 1-second exposures at 24mm (38.4mm equiv)

Jul 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lani Kai to your Buddy List
AT30D

Registered: Jul 13, 2006
Review Date: Jul 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,195.95 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, excellent images, build quality, IS, great all around zoom.
Cons:
F/4.0, slight edge distortion at 24mm (perhaps typical for any wide angle lens)

This is a great all around lens. I purchased this lens along with a Canon EOS 30D. I am very happy with the combination, and so far this is the only lens always on my camera. It would have been nicer if the lens was f/2.8. Those who are new to D-SLR photography may need some practice to get the indoor lighting right in the Creative Zone Modes of the camera.

The slight edge distortion at 24mm is perhaps typical for a zoom lens.

Although I learned the following painstakingly, I hope it might help some of the readers. A few nights ago, I was taking pictures of the full moon. Each picture I took (with the moon in a different location in the viewfinder) had one small dark greenish tone circle at some varying distance away from the moon. I knew it was not a dust spot. Plus, the spot would not go away at different f-stop setting.

I was very frustrated and disappointed with the lens after paying such a high price. I took the lens to the local Canon Service Center and was told that the spot was generated by lens flare. There was nothing they could do about it. My lens was also not one of the early batch lenses with flare problem. The next night, I researched on the internet and learned that some pro photographers -- at times -- don't like to use lens filters. I was using a UV filter on my lens. I took the lens filter out and took more pictures of the moon. Bingo! The spot was not there. It was the filter causing the flare issue.

As part of lessons learned, those who have had flare issues taking nighttime photos (with a protective UV filter on the lens) may be able to eliminate the flare by removing the lens filter.

Overall, this is a great lens and I highly recommend it. No flare issues with this lens.

Jul 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AT30D to your Buddy List
Cedric_g

Registered: Jan 13, 2004
Review Date: Jul 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness, AF, built quality, IS, range
Cons:
vignetting and distorsion at 24mm

Bought this lens for "all usages". I hesitated a long time with 24-70/2.8 L USM but the range and the optical stabilization convinced me Wink

The sharpness is awesome (on EOS 5D), AF speed and precision are fabulous, IS is magic (I took sharp photos at 1/8s !!!), construction is "L"ike a rock !

On the other hand, vignetting at full aperture (especially at 24mm) is "kolossal" but can be corrected in the most part on computer... Distorsion at 24mm is also a little problem, but I think that this lense isn't really the best solution for architecture photos :D

In reportage it is fabulous !

Jul 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Cedric_g to your Buddy List
Mark Schapper

Registered: Sep 14, 2003
Review Date: Jul 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: IS, zoom range on FF, great travel lens
Cons:
distortion, CA - both readily correctable with DxO raw conversion

I bought this as the only lens I would take on a trip to UK - for the 1DsII. It performed extremely well, and I have some images shot at 1/5 sec at 24mm, and 1/20 sec at 105mm which stand scrutiny as Super A3+ prints. Definitely a 'must-have' travel lens for FF.

Jul 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mark Schapper to your Buddy List
vin14

Registered: Jun 28, 2006
Review Date: Jul 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, Focal length range on FF, IS, Weight, Build, Price
Cons:
Distortion at 24mm

I bought the 24-105L as a general purpose lens. The image qualty is excellent. The zoom range is excellent for events, as is the IS. It more than makes up for it being an f4 lens. I also tried the 24-70L, but it's 500 euro more expensive in Ireland and I find 70mm a little short for shooting events. I also prefer the lighter weight and smaller hood of the 24-105. The only negetive I have with this lens is the distortion at 24mm.

Jul 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add vin14 to your Buddy List
Steiner88

Registered: Mar 28, 2006
Location: Indonesia
Review Date: Jul 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,120.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very nice range for 30D (normal to zoom), compact, IS
Cons:
None so far...

I got this lens to complement my EF-S 10-22mm and the zoom range is all you need for just about anything except sports. It's a little long sometimes in tight spaces, but that's what the 10-22 is for. I imagine that it is perfect for a FF camera.

I have been thinking for a week to either pick this one or the 24-70mm. I made my decision based on the IS and the longer range. The one full stop of the 24-70 sure is nice, but 30D has a very nice ISO setting that can balance it a little bit. I rarely do low light shooting scenes and the 580EX will take care of everything else.

No complain about this lens at all, you got what you pay for

Jul 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Steiner88 to your Buddy List
Fighter

Registered: Sep 30, 2005
Review Date: Jul 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Weight, IS, quality, sharp
Cons:
price

Very light weight, flawless IS, great images, no need for photoshop.

Jul 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fighter to your Buddy List
AHAB

Registered: Jun 30, 2003
Review Date: Jul 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp images right out of the camera. Excellent on 5D and Mark 2DS.
Cons:
not f2.8

If your images are not sharp, do not blame the lens!
Excellent walking around lens.
Light weight.
Blows away the 28-135 IS.

Hopefully Canon will produce a f2.8 IS L in this general MM range for low light wedding photographers. I know the price and weight will be higher, but that is part and parcel for excellent quality and I would be more than willing to pay for it.

Does work well in many wedding situations.
AHAB

Jul 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AHAB to your Buddy List
razer

Registered: Feb 3, 2006
Review Date: Jul 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: This is my first IS lens and it just works, period!
Cons:
Price.

This is the first L series lens i have purchased. I decided that the kit lens didnt give me enough reach and that the 24-105 fitted the focal length i needed. I was right.

After using it over the weekend and getting ISO100 shots at f8 and 1/8 sec handheld it makes me wonder how i did without IS.

I re-created some shot is did with the kit lens and the 24-105 just blows it away, the difference in colour and sharpness is very noticeable (as you would hope!) As for the bokeh its absolutely stunning.

Sample photo here;

The only downside of this lens is the high price, if it was around £50 to £75 cheaper then i would give it a 9.5.

Would i buy this lens again? without doubt.

As for my other lenses, i will certainly be looking at IS alternatives in the future.

Jul 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add razer to your Buddy List
aero145

Registered: Jul 1, 2006
Review Date: Jul 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: L glass - light
Cons:

When I tried this lens, I thought I was trying a marvelous piece of glass.

When I looked at the pictures after I had photographed, the photos were very good. But when I looked at the photos on computer screens, the quality was bad! Soft focus, and blurry.

The IS works, but not well.

Don't go for this lens, go for the uncle: 24-70mm f/2.8L USM!

Jul 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add aero145 to your Buddy List
DaveFouchey

Registered: Jun 25, 2006
Review Date: Jun 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight for the focal range, IS and L quality glass
Cons:
none at all

Second L lens I have purchased for use on the 5D the other being the 24-70 f2.8 L. These two compliment each other nicely. I find the IS to be a great help in out door shots, the color and sharpness are amazing. It is my #1 walkabout lens. Light enough to carry all day, good range and even at f4 works well in moderate light for me. It makes an ideal companion to the full fram 5D.

Jun 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DaveFouchey to your Buddy List
jitters

Registered: May 17, 2006
Review Date: Jun 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,199.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great travel lens to be with, sharp pictures
Cons:
none so far

I returned a 24-70 F2.8 L to get this lens. I do not see any flare issues and the pictures are sharper than the 24-70 F2.8L. Highly recommended

Jun 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jitters to your Buddy List
ctantra

Registered: Jun 21, 2006
Location: Indonesia
Review Date: Jun 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,165.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness and contrast across their aperture and focal length ranges, (even at wide open f/4), Image Stabilization, superb L quality built, relatively light and compact.
Cons:
Hardly noticeable.

I return the EF 24-70mm f/2.8 for this one. As for indoor shooting, I have EF 50mm f/1.4. I think EF 24-105mm f/4 IS is one of best general purpose lens Canon ever made. My copy (2006 production) doesn't have flare issue and works perfectly. Buy it, you'll never regret it.

Jun 22, 2006