526 927950 May 20, 2015
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84° - 23° 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

dkyeah

Registered: Dec 10, 2013
Review Date: Dec 10, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: IS - Focal range - Decent built quality - Decent IQ - Affordable
Cons:
Not stellar IQ - Not razor sharp - Not f/2.8

I started out with this lens on my 7D and kept it for a while when I bought my 5DIII. While on a APS-C camera it isn't wide enough to be a real walk-around lens, on a full frame camera it's quite good. The focal range is great.

The image quality is decent. It's not as sharp as the 24-70 2.8 II especially wide open. Though when stopped down it gets better.

The IS comes in handy in low light as the lens isn't f/2.8. It also might help those that shoot video.

If you shoot primarily in studio, travel, winter sports (outside) or video this will be an awesome lens. Especially if you start out and don't have the money for the 24-70 2.8 II + 70-200 2.8 IS II.

Though if you shoot weddings, concerts or natural light portraits, it will shows it flaws (f/4.0 not fast enough, not very sharp wide open, not so shallow depth of field,...).

You can find a few pictures I took with the 24-105 a few years ago on my website: http://quentindecaillet.com/blog/376-grimpe-avec-yann-decaillet.html

Dec 10, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dkyeah to your Buddy List
Medic8ed

Registered: Oct 9, 2013
Location: Seychelles
Review Date: Nov 2, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great image quality, Light weight, Image stabilizing
Cons:
Not against the lens but the photographer.

I have a small ad business.
I love this lens and it's match on the 6D. The colors from the two give a more realistic picture than from my 7D.

I must carry my camera differently than most of the other users. I don't get lens creep. I do know I have the camera and lens pointed forward when walking. I do 4-5 hikes each week with my sons dog. I always have a camera with me.

I love the IS with this lens. It sure helps my shaky hands that I have compared to my wife's.
Focusing is fast and accurate.

I like full lens hoods vs the petal style that comes with this lens. The 24-70 F2.8 has a full lens hood.

Equ. 7D 6D sigma 10-20mm sigma 150f2.8mm macro Canon 24-70f2.8 24-105f4 IS 70-200mm2.8 mk1 300mm F4 400mm F5.6

Nov 2, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Medic8ed to your Buddy List
sgraafmans

Registered: Feb 5, 2006
Review Date: May 10, 2013 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,200.00

Pros: Image quality
Cons:
Build very poor, twice this lense has failed a auto focus diaphram.

I've had this lense nearly 2 years now, its done very minimal light work.
Without notice it started giving lense error on both nmy 7D & 5D bodies.
I sent it to Canon Australia where they diagnosed & told me of the focus diaphram needing replacement. I was shocked at such an expensive lense needing such repairs given the short time I owned it and minimal work it had done. After getting over the shock of it all I decided to pay the repair cost of $530. Within a few weeks afterwards they sent me a repair survey asking my opinion on Canons service, I was still so discussed that such an expensive lense had failed in the first place, and the cost of repair, that I refused to even answer there request. It has now been 6 months after the repair, I have used the lense twice since and it now has the same problem again.

May 10, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sgraafmans to your Buddy List
arovane

Registered: May 20, 2008
Review Date: May 7, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice Colors, good IQ and the IS works well. Itīs a good walkaround Lens. The Build Quality is good as well
Cons:
The IS makes a lot of noise, wenn you are try to shoot a Film in quite Situations.

May 7, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add arovane to your Buddy List
rbussmann

Registered: Apr 11, 2013
Review Date: Apr 14, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice zoom range, weight
Cons:
Image quality could be better, lens creep, color rendition not optimal

Great value lens, and good as walk around. Color rendition could be better. Image quality is good, but a bit soft at the long end (at least in my copy). Zoom creep is an issue after a while.

Apr 14, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rbussmann to your Buddy List
LeoJan

Registered: May 26, 2006
Review Date: Mar 29, 2013 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: For me the most use zoom, relative small, very very nice IS, good IQ. If you chose an all-round zoom take this one
Cons:
Creep, after two years. For an all-round zoom bad. A construction failure.

I bought this zoom when it came out. Sold my 24-70 F2.8 and still I found the 24-105L the better zoom for my needs. For more I use a prime. Ideal for trips, with a small zoom with an ideal range. IQ is good.

I hate the creep, this spoils a lot. Especially for a walk around zoom, I think Canon made a mistake. No rocket science to make a lock button is it? Now I use the zoom with a strong elastic around the zoom-ring.

Normally you would say, oke this zoom sucks. But still I love it. If you have to chose one lens and not chose an a nice 50 mm I always take this one with me.

Mar 29, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add LeoJan to your Buddy List
DLP

Registered: Apr 17, 2007
Review Date: Mar 26, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent range, IS, BQ
Cons:

I purchased this as a kit lens with the 5D3. I had every intention of selling this lens and buying the 24-70MKII. However after testing this lens I can't imagine parting with it. The FL combined with IS makes this a nice walk around lens. The ISO on the 5D3 is so good that combined with the IS on this lens it even functions VERY well even in a museum with out flash. There is some distortion @24mm but it cleans up quite well with a click of the Mouse in LR. If you buy a kit intending to sell this lens be sure to try it out first!

Mar 26, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DLP to your Buddy List
acsf

Registered: Feb 10, 2009
Review Date: Jan 8, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: image quality, price, size and weight
Cons:
lens creep, not the ultimate image quality

Overall this is a great lens and if you only have one, this is highly worthy of consideration. Also if you travel and want to pack light you can get by with this single lens.

The beauty of this lens is it works great on rebels (I used it on a couple rebel bodies) all the way up to a nice full frame (use it on a 5D III now). It is amazing how good the rebels can be with quality glass.

I haven't used a ton of lenses but the image quality is not as good as a 70-200 f/2.8, for example, but it is still quite good.

One annoying thing is the lens creep. No matter how much I tighten the collar screws, when I walk around the lens always slides to maximum extension.

Overall I will keep this lens but am inclined to try the holy grail of primes.

Here are some photos:

Jan 8, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add acsf to your Buddy List
Doug Vann

Registered: Dec 18, 2004
Review Date: Dec 23, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, well built, good feel on 5DII, great walkaround lens, great value for the cost.
Cons:

I have given this lens a LOT of use over the past 3 years with my 5DII. I just finished having a poster size print done from this camera/lens combination and the sharpness was amazing. It really surprised me that it was that good. I also have the Canon 70-200f2.8ISII lens as well. Have also had the Canon 100mmf2.8L macro, Canon 135mmf2, Canon 17-40f4, Canon 16-35f2.8II, Sigma 50f1.4 and a few others so I am able to compare to a big variety of lenses. I don't know if I have an exceptional copy or not however I would highly recommend this lens to anyone that wants a great quality lens giving outstanding results.

Dec 23, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Doug Vann to your Buddy List
nl_age100

Registered: Dec 22, 2012
Review Date: Dec 22, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: - Good build quality; - Great colours; - f4.0 over the complete zoom range; - Good IS;
Cons:
- None;

I first owned the 17-85mm, but after 4 years of medium intensive it broke down.

Really like this versatile `walk around` zoom lens, for a few month now.

You can view the images i took with it here:

So you can judge for youself Smile.

Dec 22, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nl_age100 to your Buddy List
seetyoong

Registered: Sep 15, 2012
Review Date: Sep 15, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Well built. Consistent performance across all focal lengths. Fast and silent auto-focus.
Cons:
Large barrel distortion at 24mm.

Got this lens about 4 years ago. First used it on a 450d. Initial impressions was that this lens had very nice and accurate color rendition, especially on standard mode on the 450d. A problem which occurred was that every picture taken at f8-f11 was blurry and out of focus. Sent for calibration.

It came back from calibration as another lens! Fast and silent auto focus, mostly accurate. I used it for the bulk of my shooting on the 450d and it matches up very well with the EF-S 10-22mm lens as a 2 lens travel kit. Pictures are nice and reasonably sharp (takes mild sharpening in post). Very nice colors. Good contrast. Bokeh acceptable, especially if taking the fact that this is a f4 lens and a very wide range zoom. IS helps for lowish light. I have used it for documenting company events with an external flash and results are generally acceptable for what it does. The only bad point is barrel distortion which thankfully is easily correctable in post-processing with the provided canon software.

Am using it now on a 5d2. Finding absolutely no reason that I would ever need to get rid of it. A basic, does a lot, does it well (without ever being spectacular) lens.

Sep 15, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add seetyoong to your Buddy List
vsg28

Registered: May 7, 2012
Review Date: Jul 10, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Weight, build, cost, IS
Cons:

I bought this just about 2 months ago from a person selling it as part of a 5D III kit. It was brand new and I got it for $800 which in itself earned a price rating of 9 from me.

This is my first L-lens and I could clearly see the difference between this and my 60D kit 18-135mm lens. Fantastic build quality and, being on a crop sensor, exhibited no vignetting or barrel distortion. It also balances nicely with my gripped body.

Jul 10, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vsg28 to your Buddy List
nelvayut

Registered: Apr 26, 2010
Review Date: Jul 6, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp lens, lighter than 24-70, IS, great walk around lens esp on FF,
Cons:
Not wide enough for crop body, Vignette 24 - 28mm

I have this lens since 2008 and I love it. I use this all the time especially if I go on vacation/hiking.

Jul 6, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nelvayut to your Buddy List
MashuriBC

Registered: Sep 15, 2005
Review Date: Jul 2, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Usable zoom range, very sharp wide open, fast & quiet AF, 3-4 stop IS, great contrast and color
Cons:
Distortion and vignetting wide open (especially on full frame), a little soft at 105mm, can develop zoom creep but that is fixable

The old phrase, "Get the shot," applies perfectly to this lens. Canon's 24-105/L served as my primary walk-around lens for years on my 1D MkII and continues to do so on my 5D MkIII. It's reasonable weight, excellent IQ, practical zoom range, fast focus and stable IS have enabled me to quickly capture great images on the go. The lens' range is most usable on full frame but I rarely found myself unable to shoot what I needed on my 1D's 1.25x crop. I believe, however, that a 1.6x camera would really need something wider. The vignetting and barrel distortion on the wide end can easily be corrected in post but, unfortunately, the minor softness on the long end cannot. All zooms have their compromises but, overall, the 24-105 excels.

Jul 2, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MashuriBC to your Buddy List
Ulan

Registered: May 14, 2008
Review Date: Jun 29, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very convenient focal range. Good IS. Sharp enough even at f/4 especially in the centre. Satisfying contact and colors. Fast AF. Well built.
Cons:
Vignetting at f/4 (24 mm).

Very pleased with this zoom.

Jun 29, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ulan to your Buddy List
hokiejimbo

Registered: Aug 24, 2008
Review Date: May 22, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: AF Speed, Build Quality, Excellent sharpness, Wide enough for full-frame all-day use
Cons:
Not wide enough for 100% usage on a 1.6 crop, slight lens creep if held upside down

The quality of this lens is the best all-around that I've used. Sharpness is near-prime, AF speed is best-of-breed, weatherproofing is fantastic and the zoom range is phenomenal. What more can you want?

May 22, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hokiejimbo to your Buddy List

526 927950 May 20, 2015