517 902601 Jul 19, 2014
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84° - 23° 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

nl_age100

Registered: Dec 22, 2012
Review Date: Dec 22, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: - Good build quality; - Great colours; - f4.0 over the complete zoom range; - Good IS;
Cons:
- None;

I first owned the 17-85mm, but after 4 years of medium intensive it broke down.

Really like this versatile `walk around` zoom lens, for a few month now.

You can view the images i took with it here:

So you can judge for youself Smile.

Dec 22, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nl_age100 to your Buddy List
seetyoong

Registered: Sep 15, 2012
Review Date: Sep 15, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Well built. Consistent performance across all focal lengths. Fast and silent auto-focus.
Cons:
Large barrel distortion at 24mm.

Got this lens about 4 years ago. First used it on a 450d. Initial impressions was that this lens had very nice and accurate color rendition, especially on standard mode on the 450d. A problem which occurred was that every picture taken at f8-f11 was blurry and out of focus. Sent for calibration.

It came back from calibration as another lens! Fast and silent auto focus, mostly accurate. I used it for the bulk of my shooting on the 450d and it matches up very well with the EF-S 10-22mm lens as a 2 lens travel kit. Pictures are nice and reasonably sharp (takes mild sharpening in post). Very nice colors. Good contrast. Bokeh acceptable, especially if taking the fact that this is a f4 lens and a very wide range zoom. IS helps for lowish light. I have used it for documenting company events with an external flash and results are generally acceptable for what it does. The only bad point is barrel distortion which thankfully is easily correctable in post-processing with the provided canon software.

Am using it now on a 5d2. Finding absolutely no reason that I would ever need to get rid of it. A basic, does a lot, does it well (without ever being spectacular) lens.

Sep 15, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add seetyoong to your Buddy List
vsg28

Registered: May 7, 2012
Review Date: Jul 10, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Weight, build, cost, IS
Cons:

I bought this just about 2 months ago from a person selling it as part of a 5D III kit. It was brand new and I got it for $800 which in itself earned a price rating of 9 from me.

This is my first L-lens and I could clearly see the difference between this and my 60D kit 18-135mm lens. Fantastic build quality and, being on a crop sensor, exhibited no vignetting or barrel distortion. It also balances nicely with my gripped body.

Jul 10, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vsg28 to your Buddy List
nelvayut

Registered: Apr 26, 2010
Review Date: Jul 6, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp lens, lighter than 24-70, IS, great walk around lens esp on FF,
Cons:
Not wide enough for crop body, Vignette 24 - 28mm

I have this lens since 2008 and I love it. I use this all the time especially if I go on vacation/hiking.

Jul 6, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nelvayut to your Buddy List
MashuriBC

Registered: Sep 15, 2005
Review Date: Jul 2, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Usable zoom range, very sharp wide open, fast & quiet AF, 3-4 stop IS, great contrast and color
Cons:
Distortion and vignetting wide open (especially on full frame), a little soft at 105mm, can develop zoom creep but that is fixable

The old phrase, "Get the shot," applies perfectly to this lens. Canon's 24-105/L served as my primary walk-around lens for years on my 1D MkII and continues to do so on my 5D MkIII. It's reasonable weight, excellent IQ, practical zoom range, fast focus and stable IS have enabled me to quickly capture great images on the go. The lens' range is most usable on full frame but I rarely found myself unable to shoot what I needed on my 1D's 1.25x crop. I believe, however, that a 1.6x camera would really need something wider. The vignetting and barrel distortion on the wide end can easily be corrected in post but, unfortunately, the minor softness on the long end cannot. All zooms have their compromises but, overall, the 24-105 excels.

Jul 2, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MashuriBC to your Buddy List
Ulan

Registered: May 14, 2008
Review Date: Jun 29, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very convenient focal range. Good IS. Sharp enough even at f/4 especially in the centre. Satisfying contact and colors. Fast AF. Well built.
Cons:
Vignetting at f/4 (24 mm).

Very pleased with this zoom.

Jun 29, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ulan to your Buddy List
hokiejimbo

Registered: Aug 24, 2008
Review Date: May 22, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: AF Speed, Build Quality, Excellent sharpness, Wide enough for full-frame all-day use
Cons:
Not wide enough for 100% usage on a 1.6 crop, slight lens creep if held upside down

The quality of this lens is the best all-around that I've used. Sharpness is near-prime, AF speed is best-of-breed, weatherproofing is fantastic and the zoom range is phenomenal. What more can you want?

May 22, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hokiejimbo to your Buddy List
AshleyJones

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Review Date: May 16, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great for video; nice FL range; IS; Lightweight
Cons:
F/4; Not über-sharp; wished minimum focus distance was a bit shorter

It's funny. I never really considered this lens. I have lots of L glass and didn't think F/4 would ever be of interest to me.

But I got this as a kit lens with the 5D Mark III (bit of a long story) and I think it's a smashing "walking around" lens. I also think it is dynamite as a video lens.

I have the 24-70 F/2.8 and I can't imagine I will really ever use it much again (this has really surprised me). While it may have the edge over the 24-105 optically, it's not as good as my primes. The 24-105 offers a lot in convenience, the IS is great for video and it's a lot lighter and cheaper.

I feel a bit silly coming to the party so late, because it really is a great lens that will take some beating as a travel/everyday lens.

That notwithstanding, it is a zoom and nowhere near as optically strong as the primes we all know and love.

May 16, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AshleyJones to your Buddy List
aestiva

Registered: Feb 17, 2009
Review Date: May 15, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Nice range, good quality, fast AF
Cons:
Big dissortion wide open and less contrast wide open, price

Nice lens, great colors, but big dissortion wide open. Especially on full frame camera's.
Some of the pictures on my site are made with this lens
www.totaalfotografie.nl

May 15, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aestiva to your Buddy List
nswelton

Registered: Jan 16, 2006
Review Date: Apr 11, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: fast focuser, sharp, great colors, good build quality, inexpensive, not too bad a vignette
Cons:
i wish it went to 120 like the nikon variant

i really like this lens. when i first got it in the kit with the 5d2 i was a bit of a 2.8 snob, but the more i used this walk around lens the more i liked it. it's fast to focus and very very accurate. the colors are bright and punchy and the contrast adds a lot of vibrance to the lens. it's resistant to flare, and tack sharp wide open. having switched to nikon recently, i miss this lens a lot. nikon's version has the advantage of being a little longer on the long end, but it's glacially slow to focus and it vignettes BAD. this lens is a great all purposes addition to a canon shooter's lineup. highly recommended.

Apr 11, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nswelton to your Buddy List
Mike Mahoney

Registered: Mar 8, 2004
Review Date: Mar 7, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Zoom range, good build quality , lightweight, image stabilization, sharp wide open, great image quality, short minimum focus.
Cons:
None really

I bought this shortly after I sold my 24-70 2.8 as I needed that focal range for a few jobs .. so without really doing a lot of research on the lens I bought it, and it's become one of the nicer lenses in my bag.

I mostly shoot with very much wider aperture lenses and own the big three fast ones .. 35, 85, and 135. So this is the slowest lens in my bag by far but is still a pleasure to use.

It's seen a lot of use as my studio lens where I usually shoot at F8 and has replaced my 24-70 2.8 for that work.

Anyone looking for a excellent general purpose wide range zoom should consider the 24-105 F4.0

Mar 7, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mike Mahoney to your Buddy List
annoh

Registered: Feb 15, 2012
Review Date: Feb 17, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Low vignetting Fast AF Handy zoom range· Seal against dust and water
Cons:
Strong distortion at 24 mm A bit too high chromatic aberration at 24 mm Not a very nice bokeh Hefty purchase price in relation to moderate resolution in the corners at 24 and 105 mm

The combo Canon 5D MK2 and Canon 24-105 mm I use a lot.
But, it must be said, files made with a Canon 70-200 2.8 II look crispier. Futhermore, bokeh of the 24-105 is pretty bad. Here my complete story: www.camerastuffreview.com/en/component/content/article/57-test-canon-24-105-is

Feb 17, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add annoh to your Buddy List
Kevin Sherman

Registered: Nov 11, 2006
Review Date: Jan 19, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Excellent range, excellent value when bought with a camera body, sharp, Image Stabilization.
Cons:
f4

Great value if you are able to buy it with a body (I got mine with a 5D back in the day). A very nice range, you can do a lot with just this lens.

f4 is too slow for me now, Image Stabilization helps and is a nice feature. Pretty sharp, but nothing remarkable. Would be a well rounded lens for video.

Jan 19, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kevin Sherman to your Buddy List
L.J.G.

Registered: May 12, 2011
Review Date: Jan 10, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,077.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great as a walkaround on a full frame, sharp, good build quality, fast focus
Cons:
trombone zoom, I prefer zoom within the lens

I needed a general purpose walkaround on my 5DII that filled the gap my 15-85 did on my 50D and this one fits the bill nicely. It is a terrific general purpose lens on my 5DII. A far better walkaround on the 5D than my 15-85 ever was on my 50D. It is sharp, has a good build and focusses very quickly and accurately. I have to be very careful applying sharpening in post processing as images are already quite sharp straight out of the camera. Images taken with it look great in print. My only critisism is the trombone zoom, my 17-40 and 70-200 both zoom in lens and I do prefer this method. I would recommend this lens to anybody who was satisfied with an aperture of f4 and did not really need the extra of f2.8.

Jan 10, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add L.J.G. to your Buddy List
G.G.M

Registered: Dec 25, 2009
Review Date: Dec 7, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great walk around lens.
Cons:

Had this lens, used it a lot, sold it when I bought the 24-70 2.8, used that half a year, after that I wished I still had my 24-105, so I sold the 24-70 and bought me a new 24-105, it's the one I'm always using, it's the one I really love, it's just the perfect lens for me, will never sell it again.

Dec 7, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add G.G.M to your Buddy List
taemo

Registered: May 22, 2006
Review Date: Nov 14, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS, versatile focal length on a FF camera, can be used as cheap macro with extension tube, great results even at widest aperture
Cons:
price, build quality? (from what I've read/heard online)

love this lens on my 5D, when travelling/hiking it's on my 5D 90% of the time.
being weather proof I can bring it out on any conditions without fears of damaging it.
great focal length from wide to med-tele, IS handy and f4 is sharp

Nov 14, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add taemo to your Buddy List

517 902601 Jul 19, 2014