520 906213 Sep 12, 2014
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84° - 23° 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

svx94

Registered: Mar 25, 2005
Review Date: Aug 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Light and good range; IS; L build quality; Color/contrast
Cons:
not much sharper than my 17-85, especially wide open; distortion

It was my first L lens, and frankly quite dissapointed. At F4, it is not sharp as my 50/1.4, and not much better than the 17-85, which is an under rated optically IMO.

I also wish the zoom ring and the M-F ring switch places. The zoom operation doesn't feel right to me because of that.

The good side: light and well suited for the 5D. Great color and contrast - better than the 50/1.4.

I think this lens is over priced and over rated.

Aug 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add svx94 to your Buddy List
navarrosan

Registered: Jul 16, 2003
Review Date: Aug 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast focus, build quality, IS, color and contrast and sharpeness at f/4

Aug 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add navarrosan to your Buddy List
Finn Magne

Registered: Mar 14, 2004
Review Date: Aug 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image Stabilisation (IS), build quality, very good sharpness and contrast.
Cons:
Barrell distorsion and vignetting on 24mm

Compared to my previous zoom, the EF 24-70/2,8L, the EF 24-105/4L IS has the same picture quality: very good sharpness and contrast. Both zooms have visible barrell distorsion and vignetting on 24mm. However: The 24-105L IS has better sharpness and contrast in the corners on 24mm than the 24-70L.

The distorsion and vignetting on 24mm are in real life no problem. I am using RAW format for important pictures and when stepping down to f8 the vignetting is no problem on 99% of the pictures. It is also easy to correct the barrell distorsion in Photoshop.

I prefer the 24-105L over the 24-70L because of these reasons:
1. I find the IS very useful
2. The lens is lighter and balances better on my EOS 5D camera.
3. Better sharpness and contrast in the corners on 24mm
4. Longer zoom range makes it a better lens also for portraits

Aug 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Finn Magne to your Buddy List
coolbobo

Registered: Mar 5, 2005
Review Date: Aug 9, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 4

Pros: Good Walk-around focal length, solid build, IS, reasonable weight, weather sealing
Cons:
Soft pictures wide open, improves at f/5.6, sharp at f/8, but so do less expensive lens.

This is an overpriced lens. The "L" rating is a bit of an overstatement. My previous EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS had similar sharpness at comparable focal lengths/aperatures. Currently my $300 Tamron AF 17-35mm f/2.8-4.0 SP Di LD ASL IF is sharper wide open than the Canon is at f/4.
You can get the 17-35 and the 28-75 f/2.8 Tamrons for about half the price of this lens.
This lens is downright disappointing for its price. If you are stuck on OEM then try Canon's other EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L which is undoutedly a better choice, albeit a bit heavy.

Aug 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add coolbobo to your Buddy List
dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Aug 2, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Build quality, zoom range
Cons:
Pretty much everything else, see below

The first copy had to be replaced by Canon as it has a large blob under the front element and wouldn't focus properly either. The second copy is barely tolerable for a lens of this enormous price (for an f4 zoom).

There is significant barrel distortion and vignetting at 24mm on full frame, it isn't anywhere NEAR as sharp and contrasty as my 24-70 2.8L.

I really wanted to like this lens and use it as a good general purpose tool, but for the vast price it just doesn't do it at all. Frankly my old 24-85 is almost as good, almost as fast (faster at the short end) and far lighter.

Don't waste your money.

Aug 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List
Dr Strangelove

Registered: Jul 6, 2006
Review Date: Jul 27, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,250.00

Pros:
Cons:

I perservered at the shop and tried two more copies on the brick wall; I found two that didn't vignette at 24. I went with the 24-105 that had a more gradual low end barrel distortion and brought it home yesterday after the 28-105 met with gravity plus carpal tunnel syndrome. So far I'm pleased with low light indoor shots with an ISO push. The colors are vivid. It's sharpness is between the 17-40 and the 70-200. The IS is great. For build I give it a 9.5. For images a 9.2.

Jul 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dr Strangelove to your Buddy List
Marcinek

Registered: Oct 28, 2005
Location: Poland
Review Date: Jul 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent resolution (MTF),fast AF,lightweight (only 670 g),built quality of this lens is exceptional,focus distance is only 0,45 m,silent work.IS !
Cons:
Little barrel distortion on 24mm ,in my EOS 5D (full frame),and little vignietting,CA only in f4 24mm .

Jul 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Marcinek to your Buddy List
pca7070

Registered: Sep 25, 2005
Review Date: Jul 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,270.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, image stabilization, sharpness, color, flare control, fast focusing, (relatively) light weight
Cons:
A little more barrel distortion at wide end

I bought this lens to replace my 24-70mm f/2.8L that I thought was too heavy as a standard zoom to carry around with me. I compared the two and to my surprise this lens is sharper than 24-70mm f/2.8L at most aperture/focal length combinations. Maybe it was a bad (or average) copy, but I've seen others to be of the same quality as mine, i.e. not so sharp especially at 24mm. I've sold the 24-70mm f/2.8L with no regret.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pca7070 to your Buddy List
straehle

Registered: Dec 28, 2004
Review Date: Jul 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp, good range for a walk-around lens, well built, fast focus
Cons:
24mm (on a 1.6 crop)

I bought this lens early in the Spring (2006) and it is the lens that is normally on my 20D. I had been using a Sigma 18-125 which I return to from time to time for the wide angle end, but absolutely love this lens for its sharp photos. I would have preferred to have f:/2.8, but really like the dependable constant aperature and the IS easily makes up the one stop difference for most subjects.
I would highly recommend this lens for a 20D or 30D.

Jul 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add straehle to your Buddy List
paknip

Registered: Dec 28, 2005
Review Date: Jul 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Built, IS, Sharp and great zoom range for carry around.
Cons:

Had this copy for almost 6 months and attached to my 20D at most of the time. Sharpness is great at almost all range. A perfect carry around lens with IS as a bonus.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add paknip to your Buddy List
calicokat

Registered: Oct 4, 2005
Review Date: Jul 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Versatilty
Cons:

If I had to pick one lens to travel with, this would be it. Very versatile for my needs. Very sharp. Love the IS, can take hand-held shots down to 1/8th with no problem. Highly recommended

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add calicokat to your Buddy List
violetblue

Registered: Jul 21, 2006
Review Date: Jul 21, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,249.00

Pros: Build , Very Sharp, Color contrast is fantastic, Fast AF and the IS
Cons:

This is the first time on the forum, so Hello to all,
I upgraded from the EF-S 17-85, a lens I enjoyed. But I find the 24-105 L an all around better performer. I used it on my around the world trip and took some of my first shots with it and went to a photo shop where I could print some of the photos to see how they came and without any adjustments I couldn’t believe the results. Colors were vivid and objects were very sharp, almost looked 3D. Even in low light the IS really helped out and I got some spectacular shots of floral arrangements in the hotels. Everyone is complementing me on the sharpness and color contrast of the photos. If you buy on I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add violetblue to your Buddy List
violetblue

Registered: Jul 21, 2006
Review Date: Jul 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Ultra sharp, Size and weight, IS and color/contrast saturation
Cons:

I upgraded from the EF-S 17-85, a lens I enjoyed. But I find the 24-105 L an all around better performer. I used it on my around the world trip and took some of my first shots with it and went to a photo shop where I could print some of the photos to see how they came and without any adjustments I couldn’t believe the results. Colors were vivid and objects were very sharp, almost looked 3D. Even in low light the IS really helped out and I got some spectacular shots of floral arrangements in the hotels. Everyone is complementing me on the sharpness and color contrast of the photos. If you buy one I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add violetblue to your Buddy List
cathpah

Registered: Jan 28, 2006
Review Date: Jul 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: great range as a walkaround lens. covers a lot of focal lengths on a crop camera and is a perfect walkaround on the 5d
Cons:
could be a bit faster but the IS does help. only thing negative about this lens aside from that is that there are some bad reviews out there that made me doubtful about the purchase...until i got my copy.

you will find reviewers who don't like this lens and maybe they got a bad copy or it just can't fit their needs, but for me this lens is great. covers a lot of focal length on a crop camera...all you really need is a good ultra-wide with you and you can do almost all of your walkaround stuff pretty easily. on a 5d it makes this the nicest point and shoot in the world. lol. it is just a perfect walkaround lens on a 5d. the IS is nice but don't expect it to work miracles. there are certainly instances where I need a faster lens (indoor sports, moving subject, etc) but that's why god made primes...cheaper, lighter, and brighter.

this makes just a great travel lens.

Jul 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cathpah to your Buddy List
Rusty1

Registered: Oct 5, 2004
Review Date: Jul 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid L quality build, very sharp, fast focus, wieght & size , standard 77mm filter size, recessed AF and IS butons, ideal zoom range on FF.
Cons:
Expensive and F4. But you know this up front. For me placement of focus and zoom rings should be swaped.

I'm using a 20D, but bought this with FF in mind for the near future.

Has the color/contrast you expect and get from L lens. Only F4 but its not 3lbs either. The IS is state of the art and for me camera shake is more often a problem than movement blur.

Shot from tripod using timed release the results surprised me. At 24mm F4 it was sharper than my 17-40L. At 50mm F4 it matched my 50mm F1.8 and was only very slighly softer at 100mm F4 than my 70-200F4.

Ideal for FF and works well for me when combined with the surprising 10-22.

Jul 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rusty1 to your Buddy List
paul.kzk

Registered: Jul 16, 2006
Review Date: Jul 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

Anyone thinks that canon will come out with some thing like 24-105/24-70 or whatever focal lenght like this in a f/2.8L with IS??

Jul 17, 2006