517 903080 Jul 19, 2014
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84° - 23° 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

coolbobo

Registered: Mar 5, 2005
Review Date: Aug 9, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 4

Pros: Good Walk-around focal length, solid build, IS, reasonable weight, weather sealing
Cons:
Soft pictures wide open, improves at f/5.6, sharp at f/8, but so do less expensive lens.

This is an overpriced lens. The "L" rating is a bit of an overstatement. My previous EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS had similar sharpness at comparable focal lengths/aperatures. Currently my $300 Tamron AF 17-35mm f/2.8-4.0 SP Di LD ASL IF is sharper wide open than the Canon is at f/4.
You can get the 17-35 and the 28-75 f/2.8 Tamrons for about half the price of this lens.
This lens is downright disappointing for its price. If you are stuck on OEM then try Canon's other EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L which is undoutedly a better choice, albeit a bit heavy.

Aug 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add coolbobo to your Buddy List
dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Aug 2, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Build quality, zoom range
Cons:
Pretty much everything else, see below

The first copy had to be replaced by Canon as it has a large blob under the front element and wouldn't focus properly either. The second copy is barely tolerable for a lens of this enormous price (for an f4 zoom).

There is significant barrel distortion and vignetting at 24mm on full frame, it isn't anywhere NEAR as sharp and contrasty as my 24-70 2.8L.

I really wanted to like this lens and use it as a good general purpose tool, but for the vast price it just doesn't do it at all. Frankly my old 24-85 is almost as good, almost as fast (faster at the short end) and far lighter.

Don't waste your money.

Aug 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List
Dr Strangelove

Registered: Jul 6, 2006
Review Date: Jul 27, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,250.00

Pros:
Cons:

I perservered at the shop and tried two more copies on the brick wall; I found two that didn't vignette at 24. I went with the 24-105 that had a more gradual low end barrel distortion and brought it home yesterday after the 28-105 met with gravity plus carpal tunnel syndrome. So far I'm pleased with low light indoor shots with an ISO push. The colors are vivid. It's sharpness is between the 17-40 and the 70-200. The IS is great. For build I give it a 9.5. For images a 9.2.

Jul 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dr Strangelove to your Buddy List
Marcinek

Registered: Oct 28, 2005
Location: Poland
Review Date: Jul 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent resolution (MTF),fast AF,lightweight (only 670 g),built quality of this lens is exceptional,focus distance is only 0,45 m,silent work.IS !
Cons:
Little barrel distortion on 24mm ,in my EOS 5D (full frame),and little vignietting,CA only in f4 24mm .

Jul 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Marcinek to your Buddy List
pca7070

Registered: Sep 25, 2005
Review Date: Jul 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,270.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, image stabilization, sharpness, color, flare control, fast focusing, (relatively) light weight
Cons:
A little more barrel distortion at wide end

I bought this lens to replace my 24-70mm f/2.8L that I thought was too heavy as a standard zoom to carry around with me. I compared the two and to my surprise this lens is sharper than 24-70mm f/2.8L at most aperture/focal length combinations. Maybe it was a bad (or average) copy, but I've seen others to be of the same quality as mine, i.e. not so sharp especially at 24mm. I've sold the 24-70mm f/2.8L with no regret.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pca7070 to your Buddy List
straehle

Registered: Dec 28, 2004
Review Date: Jul 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp, good range for a walk-around lens, well built, fast focus
Cons:
24mm (on a 1.6 crop)

I bought this lens early in the Spring (2006) and it is the lens that is normally on my 20D. I had been using a Sigma 18-125 which I return to from time to time for the wide angle end, but absolutely love this lens for its sharp photos. I would have preferred to have f:/2.8, but really like the dependable constant aperature and the IS easily makes up the one stop difference for most subjects.
I would highly recommend this lens for a 20D or 30D.

Jul 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add straehle to your Buddy List
paknip

Registered: Dec 28, 2005
Review Date: Jul 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Built, IS, Sharp and great zoom range for carry around.
Cons:

Had this copy for almost 6 months and attached to my 20D at most of the time. Sharpness is great at almost all range. A perfect carry around lens with IS as a bonus.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add paknip to your Buddy List
calicokat

Registered: Oct 4, 2005
Review Date: Jul 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Versatilty
Cons:

If I had to pick one lens to travel with, this would be it. Very versatile for my needs. Very sharp. Love the IS, can take hand-held shots down to 1/8th with no problem. Highly recommended

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add calicokat to your Buddy List
violetblue

Registered: Jul 21, 2006
Review Date: Jul 21, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,249.00

Pros: Build , Very Sharp, Color contrast is fantastic, Fast AF and the IS
Cons:

This is the first time on the forum, so Hello to all,
I upgraded from the EF-S 17-85, a lens I enjoyed. But I find the 24-105 L an all around better performer. I used it on my around the world trip and took some of my first shots with it and went to a photo shop where I could print some of the photos to see how they came and without any adjustments I couldn’t believe the results. Colors were vivid and objects were very sharp, almost looked 3D. Even in low light the IS really helped out and I got some spectacular shots of floral arrangements in the hotels. Everyone is complementing me on the sharpness and color contrast of the photos. If you buy on I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add violetblue to your Buddy List
violetblue

Registered: Jul 21, 2006
Review Date: Jul 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Ultra sharp, Size and weight, IS and color/contrast saturation
Cons:

I upgraded from the EF-S 17-85, a lens I enjoyed. But I find the 24-105 L an all around better performer. I used it on my around the world trip and took some of my first shots with it and went to a photo shop where I could print some of the photos to see how they came and without any adjustments I couldn’t believe the results. Colors were vivid and objects were very sharp, almost looked 3D. Even in low light the IS really helped out and I got some spectacular shots of floral arrangements in the hotels. Everyone is complementing me on the sharpness and color contrast of the photos. If you buy one I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add violetblue to your Buddy List
cathpah

Registered: Jan 28, 2006
Review Date: Jul 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: great range as a walkaround lens. covers a lot of focal lengths on a crop camera and is a perfect walkaround on the 5d
Cons:
could be a bit faster but the IS does help. only thing negative about this lens aside from that is that there are some bad reviews out there that made me doubtful about the purchase...until i got my copy.

you will find reviewers who don't like this lens and maybe they got a bad copy or it just can't fit their needs, but for me this lens is great. covers a lot of focal length on a crop camera...all you really need is a good ultra-wide with you and you can do almost all of your walkaround stuff pretty easily. on a 5d it makes this the nicest point and shoot in the world. lol. it is just a perfect walkaround lens on a 5d. the IS is nice but don't expect it to work miracles. there are certainly instances where I need a faster lens (indoor sports, moving subject, etc) but that's why god made primes...cheaper, lighter, and brighter.

this makes just a great travel lens.

Jul 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cathpah to your Buddy List
Rusty1

Registered: Oct 5, 2004
Review Date: Jul 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid L quality build, very sharp, fast focus, wieght & size , standard 77mm filter size, recessed AF and IS butons, ideal zoom range on FF.
Cons:
Expensive and F4. But you know this up front. For me placement of focus and zoom rings should be swaped.

I'm using a 20D, but bought this with FF in mind for the near future.

Has the color/contrast you expect and get from L lens. Only F4 but its not 3lbs either. The IS is state of the art and for me camera shake is more often a problem than movement blur.

Shot from tripod using timed release the results surprised me. At 24mm F4 it was sharper than my 17-40L. At 50mm F4 it matched my 50mm F1.8 and was only very slighly softer at 100mm F4 than my 70-200F4.

Ideal for FF and works well for me when combined with the surprising 10-22.

Jul 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rusty1 to your Buddy List
paul.kzk

Registered: Jul 16, 2006
Review Date: Jul 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

Anyone thinks that canon will come out with some thing like 24-105/24-70 or whatever focal lenght like this in a f/2.8L with IS??

Jul 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add paul.kzk to your Buddy List
jamach

Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Review Date: Jul 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: easy to work with
Cons:

Stunning sharpness, quick focus, 3 stop stabilizer, neutral color, and now I have many more keepers to process after every outing with this lens. Simply outstanding performance that will take your breath away, even for a zoom. It does people portraits, general photography, and flower shots with equal aplomb. The bokeh can be increased to butter smoothness with addition of the Canon 12mm extension tube. The minimum focusing distance of 1.5 feet is great, and the 500D is a nice addition for super closeups. The performance begins at F4. With 105mm available, sporting events such as rodeos, indoor, and close magnification are all possible with stabilization! The 24mm is not a limiter for me since I do not do ultra wide angle pictures, but does provide a nice perspective that is wide with less distortion. Get this lens because it does most jobs superbly with image stabilization and L quality.

Jul 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jamach to your Buddy List
Dr Strangelove

Registered: Jul 6, 2006
Review Date: Jul 15, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: In concept the 24-105 should be the best regular use lens around, but I feel that this lens was more designed for crpped cameras like the 20D rather than FF cameras. The size and weight were great. The IS is super. The AF is fast.
Cons:
I went into the shop today with a budget for two L lenses and a 28-105 f3.5-4.5 and the 100mm macro at home. I shot the 70-200 f2.8 IS, the 24-105 f4 IS, and the 17-40 f4 with full intent on going home with the 70-200 and 24-105. I went outside with each lens and snapped the brick wall at wide open and f16 at top and bottom zoom ranges; 4 shots per lens. I downloaded onto the 30" screen with PS2 and was shocked at the level of spherical/barrel distortion at 24 on the 24-105. It totally skewed the groutlines on the wall in a ring pattern fully within the field. The vignetting was as bad or worse as my 28-105. For my 5D, I want the best. The 24-105 was also lacking sharpness compared to the 70-200 even at f16. I found 70% lesser distortion with minimal vignetting on the 24-70 wide open , and no problems on the 17-40. The 24-70 is too big for walkaround, so I decided to keep my 28-105 non L until something better comes along. I may have a hard look at Sigma's offerings for mid ranges. I went home with the 70-200 f2.8 IS and the 17-40 F4. My final thought is an agreement with prior opinions that in concept, the 24-105 should be the best walkaround lens around, but I feel that this lens was more designed for crpped cameras like the 20D rather than FF cameras due to the unacceptable distortion and vignetting at open aperatures.

This is my first post here and I'm sorry it has to be a pan.

I went into the shop today with a budget for two L lenses for my 5D. I have 28-105 f3.5-4.5 and the 100mm macro at home.

I looked at the 70-200L f2.8 IS, 24-105L f4 IS, 24-70L f2.8, and the 17-40L f4 with full intent on going home with the 70-200L and 24-105L. The size and weight of the 24-105L is great. The IS is quiet. The AF is fast. I went outside with each lens and snapped the brick wall wide open and at f16 at top and bottom zoom ranges; 4 shots per lens. I downloaded onto a 30" screen with PS2

I was shocked at the level of spherical/barrel distortion at 24mm on the 24-105L. It totally skewed the groutlines on the wall in a ring pattern fully within the field. The vignetting was as bad or worse without a UV filter as my 28-105 is with one. The 24-105L was lacking sharpness compared to the 70-200L even at f16, and about even with the 24-70. I found 70% lesser barrel distortion with minimal vignetting on the 24-70L wide open, and no problems on the 17-40L. The 24-70L is too big and heavy for walkaround, so I decided to keep my 28-105L non L until something better and portable comes along. I may have a hard look at Sigma's offerings for mid ranges.

I went home with the 70-200L f2.8 IS and the 17-40L F4.

My final thought is an agreement with prior opinions that in concept, the 24-105L should be the best walkaround lens around, but I feel that this lens was more designed for cropped cameras like the 20D rather than FF cameras due to the unacceptable distortion and vignetting at open aperatures.

Jul 15, 2006
HairsOnMyChest

Registered: Feb 1, 2006
Review Date: Jul 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: color, sharpness, weight, just about everything
Cons:
not a darn thing (would be amazing if it was f2.8)

i have a sharp copy and it is amazing. people complain about it being expensive and a tad slow (f/4) but those specs are right on the box when you buy it, so it is not a huge surprize.
i have both the 24-70L and this lens, and i have to tell you guys that my 24-70L doesn't get used very much now.

Jul 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add HairsOnMyChest to your Buddy List

517 903080 Jul 19, 2014