524 920996 Jan 21, 2015
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84° - 23° 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

cubis

Registered: May 4, 2005
Review Date: Oct 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,119.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS, beautiful stunning contrast, L build and quality feel, superb balance and rightness of feel on a 5D body
Cons:
I suppose the minor vignetting at 24mm, clears up at35mm, Perhaps a little strong in the price department.

This is my first review and I apologize in advance as it is only my first evening with the lens, but I am just so darn excited!Perhaps some other short coming might arise after using it a while but maybe not. I just felt compelled to post a quick review as I find that sometimes first impressions are somewhat telling. I have to say that I was blown away by this lens. Shocking would be a better description. After reading some of the posts on this site of horror stories of soft copies, clunking IS, dust sucking and vignetting, I was somewhat braced for a bumpy ride, to include, pixel peeping, focus charts and wrangling with sales people to achieve satisfaction. These activities will be unnecessary. This thing is amazing and is a perfect complement to the 5D. Up until a week ago I was shooting a 20D with the 17-85 IS. I know that that lens has more than it's share of detractors, but I must say that mine was a sharp copy and I had many a fantastic shots that that lens was responsible for, so much so that I was concerned that I would be able to replicate the results that I got with that lens. I appears that my fears were unfounded. Also I do have some other decent points of comparison in my lens arsenal, such as the wonderful 70-200 2.8 IS. If you are shooting a 5D, I would say that this thing is a no brainier. DO IT. You will not regret it! It appears to be an ideal walk around lens for the 5D.

Oct 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cubis to your Buddy List
Joe Roback

Registered: Oct 16, 2006
Review Date: Oct 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,129.99 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp, "L" quality build, IS
Cons:
lens extends really far @ 105mm

First L lens. Now, I will never buy anything less then L quality. 3x more expensive, but you can see why from the moment you take it out of the box to the moment you are getting sharp terrific pictures.

Purchased it as an all-around--walk-about lens. Very pleased. Smile

Comes with hood and soft case. Purchased canon UV-1 filter and circular polarizer filter to go with lens.

Oct 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Joe Roback to your Buddy List
Theophile

Registered: Apr 10, 2006
Review Date: Oct 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Wonderful Walk Around mid-WA to mid-Telephoto Range on 30D-Excellent Color-Sharp Contrast-Great IS-Solid Feel of construction (Yes, it's an "L")!
Cons:

Sold the 100mm f2.8 macro and 70-200mm f4.0 to make this purchase, have no regrets!! This stays on my 30D 95% of the time for normal shooting, it is very sharp and has a pleasing Bokeh! Have 17-40L for WA and 100-400L for super zoom...so far, well pleased with these 3-lens compliments!!

Oct 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Theophile to your Buddy List
chuchutrain

Registered: Sep 6, 2005
Review Date: Oct 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, Image quality, Image Stabilizer, Zoom range.
Cons:
F4 (but you get what you pay for)

Oct 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add chuchutrain to your Buddy List
jgonzo

Registered: Dec 17, 2005
Review Date: Oct 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, great range, fast, IS, acceptable weight, build quality, ...
Cons:
none so far

I use it on my 350D.
Mounted on this camera it,s sharp, has a great range, it's fast, has IS, has an acceptable weight, perfect colours and has a great build quality.

Oct 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jgonzo to your Buddy List
Nick De Marco

Registered: Jun 13, 2006
Review Date: Oct 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great range, pretty sharp, good build quality, not too heavy, reasonable price
Cons:
Slight distortion at 24mm

I purchased this lens in August 2006 as a 'kit' lens with my new 5D.

I had wanted this lens anyway as it has a great range for an L lens and is not too expensive. For full frame it is an excellant walkabout lens. Although I found I often wanted to go a bit more wide and this lens can have some distortion at 24mm (so I bought the 17-35mm f2.8 L second hand), I particularly like the fact this lens goes to 105mm unlike some of the competitor L lenses. It means that for 'walkabout' you do not have to change your lenses quite as often as you otherwsie might. I am satisfied with this lens and would highly recommend anyone buying the 5D to get one as a kit lens as it is then very good value indeed.

To see a gallery of photos I have taken with this lens on my 5D, go to http://www.pbase.com/nickdemarco/canon_24105mm_f4_l_lens

Oct 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Nick De Marco to your Buddy List
FatBoyAl

Registered: Sep 4, 2005
Review Date: Oct 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,173.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Lightweight, great build quality, terrific IQ!
Cons:
Perhaps cost

My first L lens. I had the hardest time deciding between this and the 24-70/2.8 primarily due to the 2.8. Since I actually sat down and analyzed what I shoot, however, I decided the IS would take care of the extra stop. Plus, I really wanted the extra reach of the 105.
This replaces my 28-105/3.5 and that wasn't a bad lens at all. I appreciate the build and image quality of this lens and I think it's just the first L I buy.
So far, IQ has been just fantastic. Great colors and contrast. And the option of handholding down to 1/15sec is simply amazing! Sure, the 2.8 could have let me go to 1/30, but that wasn't going to be clear, not without IS! I'm totally impressed.
To boot, it's light and incredibly well made. Really, aside from a bit of a price break, what more could you ask for?

Oct 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FatBoyAl to your Buddy List
William Austin

Registered: Sep 30, 2006
Review Date: Sep 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Easy to handle, Sharpness you would expect from an L class Lens, Good range, IS
Cons:
Lens extends when zooming

I got this lens as part of a bundle with the Canon 5D, I've been very pleased with the results I get from this lens, I would say that in equals that of the 17-40 F4L in the sharpness area but the 24-105 produces better contrast and colours.

Sep 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add William Austin to your Buddy List
Montrealer

Registered: Jul 16, 2006
Review Date: Sep 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp. Excellent contrast and colour rendition. Good range for everyday and walkaround lens.
Cons:
Position of the zoom ring. Not as sharp at f4. Heavy.

It is a bit expensive, and interestingly enough like a few others I had to get to know this lens before appreciating it. I've had the lens for a month now and a few hundred shots into it, while post-processing some older shots taken with my previous lenses, the differences really became apparent, and I really came to appreciate the true quality of this lens. The IS is new for me, and I'm becoming a big fan.
My first L lens, bought only a month before this one was the 70-200 f4, which puts the bar pretty high... this one is very close behind.

Sep 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Montrealer to your Buddy List
achromatic

Registered: Sep 15, 2006
Review Date: Sep 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,494.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Lovely sharpness. Good range. Nice build quality. Sturdy.
Cons:
Is it greedy to wish it went down to 17mm?

I love this lens. It's my primary tool. A good range, and nice and solid. Big and solid, without being overly weighty and annoying when around the neck.

Sep 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add achromatic to your Buddy List
slobomitic

Registered: Sep 19, 2005
Review Date: Sep 28, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,150.00

Pros: IS
Cons:
not sharp, heavy, big

My first L lens and quite a disappointment. Aside from being surprised with the size and weight of f4 lens, my biggest disappointment was lack of sharpness. I read some people go through several copies to find a keeper, but this is pro lens (L) and it should never be an issue. Canon’s QC is pathetic and it’s bad business since I would discourage anyone to buy this lens (and Canon in general). You may get the good one or you may not. I didn’t.

Just to make sure it’s not me, I compared images made with this lens and with Tamron 28-300 ($350 and half the weight) on 5D. See it for yourself here:

Sep 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add slobomitic to your Buddy List
cdryall

Registered: Mar 19, 2005
Review Date: Sep 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, IS
Cons:

First L lens - initially not that impressed but over time have realised both the contrast, image sharpness and the accuracy, speed and consistency of the autofocus with 30D are a level up on my other lenses. Most used lens I have today. Best feature for me though is the IS which has been a revelation.

Sep 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cdryall to your Buddy List
joebox

Registered: Jun 5, 2006
Location: Czech Republic
Review Date: Sep 23, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Solid construction, professional look, zoom range
Cons:
Sharpness, weight

I could not find any difference in sharpness when compared with pictures taken by eg. Canon ef 100-300. (camera Canon D30)
Yes, the picture is sharper compared to the kit lens, but the difference is not dramatic and does not justify the price. I expected definitely different performance from an L lense. Moreover the lens is quite heavy.

I was dissapointed and returned the lens.

After this experience I decided to try Sigma or Tamron, because I think I must get the same quality pictures for significantly less money. I'll be thankful for any suggestions.

Sep 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add joebox to your Buddy List
Joel Nini

Registered: Sep 22, 2006
Location: Portugal
Review Date: Sep 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Colors, contrast, IS, range
Cons:

I was one of the first to buy these lense. More than a year of use I can say that, nowadays, 95% of my shots are done with it.
In fact, I already sold some of my gear due to not using it much.
Perfect range, the colors are just great, and the L contrast is incredible.

I consider it the perfect walkaround lense.

Sep 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Joel Nini to your Buddy List
routerguy666

Registered: Aug 16, 2006
Review Date: Sep 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,149.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Colors, contrast, IS.
Cons:
Extending front.

I'm actually a big fan of prime lenses, though oddly enough this is my second L lense and is a zoom like the other I own. I bought this lense to fill the gap between my 10-22 and my 50mm and went with a zoom rather than the 35mm prime simply to add a nice walkaround lense to my bag. Till now, I've pretty much swapped the 50mm and 85mm to cover most everything I shoot.

Tried this side by side with the 24-70 F2.8. Much lighter, the IS is a nice feature, image quality is the same. If you want a portrait lense, you can supplement the 24-105 with a 50mm and 85mm prime (on a crop) and you are all set and will have the nice, creamy looking bokeh you are after.

No complaints at all about the lense. It is expensive but you get what you pay for.

Sep 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add routerguy666 to your Buddy List
Panthera

Registered: Feb 20, 2005
Review Date: Sep 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Ultrasharp, acceptable weight for long walks, very nice color, IS
Cons:

I used the 28-135 IS USM for a long time, wanting a better lens but the 24-70 L f2.8 was to heavy to carry around so not an option if you walk 20 kilometers with the camera around your neck. When Canon released this lens I couldn't weight to have one and well it was even sharper then I had thought it would be (all the way from 24 to 105). I was in love with this lens from the first day on.
The lens is also very quick in autofocus, IS is very quiet, so is AF. Colors are very saturated in comparison with the 28-135. The lens balances very well with the 20D, making a perfect pair.
One little minus: the hood comes off a little too easy, is often turned around when I take the camera out of my bag.
I would not want any other allrounder than this one.

Sep 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Panthera to your Buddy List

524 920996 Jan 21, 2015