526 927769 May 20, 2015
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84į - 23į 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

evisione

Registered: Dec 25, 2005
Review Date: Dec 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, color, IS
Cons:
weight, price

My second favorite lens. Always dependable - w/ sharp colorful photos.

Dec 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add evisione to your Buddy List
Nimnar

Registered: Nov 5, 2005
Review Date: Dec 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: build quality, fast auto-focus, great range
Cons:
image quality is not consistent

I bought this lens to use on my XT and I'm finding that the autofocus with XT combination is not perfect. Sometimes I am getting slightly soft photos at f/4, sometimes sharp! By f/5.6 the lens is sharp through and through.

Overall, I like the lens and I think that when I match it with a full-frame upgrade results might improve. The image-stabilizer works well and I like it.

I recommend this lens.

Dec 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nimnar to your Buddy List
Jose Carrelas

Registered: Oct 10, 2006
Review Date: Nov 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Super Sharp, fast focus, colour/contrast, great build.
Cons:
a bit heavy

The only reason anyone could give this lens lower then an 8 rating is because they were unfortunate to get a bad copy, or they dont even have the lens and are canon bashers.

Just bought the lens and took about a hundred test shots and boy is this lens great. I had a 28-135 IS before which I enjoyed but now with this lens I see a world fof difference.(sharpness, colour, contrast, etc..)

So for anyone thinking of buying one , if this is in your money range and you want a great walkaround/leave on lens then the 24-105 f/4 L IS USM.

Oh plus I just bought the rebel xti(had the 300d before) and boy for a consumer body its great for my needs also.

Nov 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jose Carrelas to your Buddy List
Rajan Parrikar

Registered: Sep 9, 2006
Review Date: Nov 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Optical performance (colour, contrast, sharpness), build quality, versatility.
Cons:
Some barrel distortion at 24mm.

The 24-105mm f/4 L IS lens paired with my Canon EOS 5D body forms a versatile walkaround combination. I have used it effectively for landscapes, street shots, architecture and even portraits. This lens and the renowned 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS ought to be part of any serious photographer's armoury.

Nov 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rajan Parrikar to your Buddy List
Ed Cucci

Registered: Nov 18, 2006
Review Date: Nov 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,199.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great IQ, usefullness, build quality
Cons:
Bit heavy, mild ca, wish it was a 2.8

I got this lens as a "stay on the camera most of the time do it all kind of lens" and its been great. Some argue its not sharp, but mine is fine. I made some comparisons with my 35 f1.4 L and my 135 f2.0 L and I must tell you it's hard to see a difference. There is some mild ca in harsh transitions - but its easy to avoid. I wish it was a 2.8. I'd sell my other lenses - not! I love my primes, but zooms have come a long, long way.

Try it, you'll like it!

Nov 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ed Cucci to your Buddy List
rendrat

Registered: Oct 14, 2005
Review Date: Nov 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality (Sharpness, contrast, and color), Focal Length, and IS
Cons:
within the specifications : None

My shooting style is mostly general photography, and mostly just taking pictures of family and friend. This lens is perfect for that purpose.

I found since I purchased this lens, I seldom used the 50/1.8 and 85/1.8. I print mostly 4R (4x6 inch) and also sometime A4 (8x10 inch). I could not differentiate the image quality from this lens at that print size compared to the pictures taken from 24-105/4L IS. It shows that the cheap prime lens is very good, and also shows that the 24-105/4L IScan be as sharp as the primes. Some of my sharpest photos were taken with this lens.

When I am not sure which lens to bring, I just pick this lens. It will most likely fullfil my need.

Nov 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rendrat to your Buddy List
Syed Hafiz

Registered: Nov 14, 2006
Review Date: Nov 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: nice build, IS, Sharp
Cons:
not f2.8, expensive

Nov 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Syed Hafiz to your Buddy List
mohamed alfari

Registered: Sep 5, 2006
Location: United Arab Emirates
Review Date: Nov 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, IS is so amazing at low light, light, black and look good on 30D
Cons:
sometimes soft at 24mm

here are some samples just recently taken with both 30D and 24-105 which i just recived, my first photos with both.

here is on at 24mm

this lens can take realy nice macro shots, i listed one in the samples. as i said before 24 sometimes soft but maybe its not the lens its me, i am still a begginer.
i highly recommend it

Nov 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mohamed alfari to your Buddy List
Mr Grim

Registered: May 19, 2006
Review Date: Nov 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS is terrific, IQ from this lens is expanding my expectations of what is possible! Great walk around lens
Cons:

Got this baby for my new 5D - what a combo! I didn't need the 24-70's 2.8 f/ratio, especially with the 5D's great low light performance. I use this lens for a lot of shots of science experiments and projects at school (documenting student work) and for general purpose family and walk about. Unless I specifically need wider, or longer, it stays on the 5D 24/7/365. Highly recommended, worth the money if you have to get the money shot.

Nov 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mr Grim to your Buddy List
Mitch Fry

Registered: Nov 2, 2006
Review Date: Nov 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp Image, Great Contrast, Fast Focus and great IS for shooting sports.
Cons:
Could be lighter but that is the price you pay for quality construction. Certainly not a plastic light weight mediocre lens like the kit ones on rebel and 20D.

Great for shooting kids football game (5 FPS). Amazed at difference in image quality on the 20D over Sigma (17-35) and Tamron (28-300) zooms, though they are not bad lenses, just not nearly as sharp as this one. I liken it to the difference between HD TV and Standard TV, you don't know what you are missing until you pay to see the difference.

I know some have had focus problems but I can see individual hairs on the kids head that the 20D focused and captured at a full run (flag football game), in sports mode at 5 FPS. Also rarely did the camera have a problem focusing fast enough or even recognizing the correct subject in the frame when mulitple kids were in the shot. I have had a lot of focus hunting on my Tamron zoom so night and day with this lens.

I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Nov 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mitch Fry to your Buddy List
Ian Rooker

Registered: Nov 2, 2006
Review Date: Nov 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: fantastic all round lens. Quite fast for F4. Good focal range.
Cons:

This has got to be my all time favorite lens as its on my camera nearly all the time time as it covers most of the generall photography i do. From group shots to single portraits.
I find this especially usefull for weddings.
Its fairly snappy to focus and produses razor sharp results and back ground out of focus is great.

Nov 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ian Rooker to your Buddy List
asparkes

Registered: May 21, 2006
Posts: 1968
Review Date: Oct 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, silent focusing. IS. Build. Sharp and contrasty
Cons:
I wish that it was at f/2.8, but then again aren't we all still waiting for that 3D?

I have had this lens for about three days now. Let me say that I went through mental battle - like many others - comparing this lens and the 24-70 f/2.8 ... I really don't think there is a right or wrong decisions there. I think the dozens of FM threads on the topic will back me up. This lens is very sharp and very quick. So far as I can tell, it is one of the most useful focal ranges made with this type of quality build and IS. I was planning on keeping this in conjunction with my Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, but might end up selling the Sigy. I was playing around with the L, and today was able to get acceptable images with sub-10th shutter speeds. by 1/20, you can get a razor sharp image, so long as your subject is relatively still and you have a good technique. 30-60 range .... forget it! You're talking WOW. Love it so far, sure it is not as sharp as my 70-200, but I didn't think it would be. Oh, and any ninny who rated this lens a 3 or a 4 must be on PCP, I could see a 6 or 7 rating for those who either really really need that extra stop, or got an usharp copy, but anything less then a 5 is obviously induced by crack. I rated it a 10, just balance out the nimrods who put 3. I would more realistically call it a 9.

Oct 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add asparkes to your Buddy List
Bluedog

Registered: May 4, 2005
Review Date: Oct 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,129.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp f/4 throughout zoom range. Third generation IS with top notch build quality.
Cons:
None I've encounteterd

Oct 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Bluedog to your Buddy List
EyeBrock

Registered: Dec 3, 2005
Review Date: Oct 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, weight, AF speed, AF coverage on a 20D, great focal range, even on a 20D, sharp and the IS delivers beyond expectations.
Cons:
Price, but you do get what you pay for, a bloody good lens.

Iím not sure if Frankdatank went to the same waterfall as me (Waterdown, On) but I heartily agree with him.
I popped down way too close to dusk and got some great hand held shots at 1/6-1/8th.
I actually did stand in the river with my tripod in the summer but it was a tad too chilly the other night. The IS just amazes me and it really is a quantum leap from my old Tamron 24-135, now destined to remain on the shelf.
Iíve been really impressed with is the much more positive AF response. I was used to one or two red boxes in my viewfinder (except with my 70-200 F4L), now I get six or so and really sharp piccies.
I toyed with a 24-70 2.8L, which really is a great lens, but for what I do (landscapes and family stuff) the 24-105 is just the best all around fit.
Some of the negative opinions either have crap copies or their particular style of shooting requires a different lens.
This photo stuff is personal yíknow, donít just take a review as gospel, look at your own shooting style and buy a lens accordingly.

This is a truly great lens and is perfect for me.
The 24-70 2.8L is another truly great lens but I donít shoot sports and Iím not a press photographer et al, so itís weight and focal range mean I didnít keep it and it went back to Henryís.
The 24-105 does the job for me! Itís a keeperÖ..

Oct 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EyeBrock to your Buddy List
frankdatank

Registered: Jun 1, 2004
Review Date: Oct 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, nice colour, small size, incredible IS, perfect for 1.3 or full frame bodies
Cons:
Price, not wide enough on 1.6 crop body

A very sharp, contrasty lens. The 3-stop IS is excellent. I shot a waterfall at 1/6 handheld, image came out crisp and on par with tripod shots, except I can't mount the tripod in the middle of the stream. My copy is sharper than my 24-70/2.8 L.

Perfect walk around lens. 24mm is not quite wide enough ever since I sold my 1DMk2.

Oct 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add frankdatank to your Buddy List
J Li

Registered: Sep 4, 2006
Review Date: Oct 25, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,100.00

Pros: Solid build. Looks great.
Cons:
Soft images. Not much different from my 17-85mm IS. Overpriced for a f4.

I ordered the 24-105L with the intention to replace my 17-85 IS. I was very excited when the new lens arrived but after shooting with the lens both indoors and outdoors I was very disappointed with the IQ. I could not tell much difference between this one and the 17-85. The resolution, colors and contrast are very similiar.
It seems to be either a hit or miss with this lens, and with the high price tag that's just plain wrong! I thought of exchanging it with a new one, but trying to fish for a "good copy" is just too much hassle so I sent it back. Happy to save my money!

Oct 25, 2006