517 904392 Jul 19, 2014
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84į - 23į 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

Mitch Fry

Registered: Nov 2, 2006
Review Date: Nov 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp Image, Great Contrast, Fast Focus and great IS for shooting sports.
Cons:
Could be lighter but that is the price you pay for quality construction. Certainly not a plastic light weight mediocre lens like the kit ones on rebel and 20D.

Great for shooting kids football game (5 FPS). Amazed at difference in image quality on the 20D over Sigma (17-35) and Tamron (28-300) zooms, though they are not bad lenses, just not nearly as sharp as this one. I liken it to the difference between HD TV and Standard TV, you don't know what you are missing until you pay to see the difference.

I know some have had focus problems but I can see individual hairs on the kids head that the 20D focused and captured at a full run (flag football game), in sports mode at 5 FPS. Also rarely did the camera have a problem focusing fast enough or even recognizing the correct subject in the frame when mulitple kids were in the shot. I have had a lot of focus hunting on my Tamron zoom so night and day with this lens.

I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Nov 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mitch Fry to your Buddy List
Ian Rooker

Registered: Nov 2, 2006
Review Date: Nov 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: fantastic all round lens. Quite fast for F4. Good focal range.
Cons:

This has got to be my all time favorite lens as its on my camera nearly all the time time as it covers most of the generall photography i do. From group shots to single portraits.
I find this especially usefull for weddings.
Its fairly snappy to focus and produses razor sharp results and back ground out of focus is great.

Nov 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ian Rooker to your Buddy List
asparkes

Registered: May 21, 2006
Posts: 1943
Review Date: Oct 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, silent focusing. IS. Build. Sharp and contrasty
Cons:
I wish that it was at f/2.8, but then again aren't we all still waiting for that 3D?

I have had this lens for about three days now. Let me say that I went through mental battle - like many others - comparing this lens and the 24-70 f/2.8 ... I really don't think there is a right or wrong decisions there. I think the dozens of FM threads on the topic will back me up. This lens is very sharp and very quick. So far as I can tell, it is one of the most useful focal ranges made with this type of quality build and IS. I was planning on keeping this in conjunction with my Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, but might end up selling the Sigy. I was playing around with the L, and today was able to get acceptable images with sub-10th shutter speeds. by 1/20, you can get a razor sharp image, so long as your subject is relatively still and you have a good technique. 30-60 range .... forget it! You're talking WOW. Love it so far, sure it is not as sharp as my 70-200, but I didn't think it would be. Oh, and any ninny who rated this lens a 3 or a 4 must be on PCP, I could see a 6 or 7 rating for those who either really really need that extra stop, or got an usharp copy, but anything less then a 5 is obviously induced by crack. I rated it a 10, just balance out the nimrods who put 3. I would more realistically call it a 9.

Oct 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add asparkes to your Buddy List
Bluedog

Registered: May 4, 2005
Review Date: Oct 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,129.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp f/4 throughout zoom range. Third generation IS with top notch build quality.
Cons:
None I've encounteterd

Oct 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Bluedog to your Buddy List
EyeBrock

Registered: Dec 3, 2005
Review Date: Oct 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, weight, AF speed, AF coverage on a 20D, great focal range, even on a 20D, sharp and the IS delivers beyond expectations.
Cons:
Price, but you do get what you pay for, a bloody good lens.

Iím not sure if Frankdatank went to the same waterfall as me (Waterdown, On) but I heartily agree with him.
I popped down way too close to dusk and got some great hand held shots at 1/6-1/8th.
I actually did stand in the river with my tripod in the summer but it was a tad too chilly the other night. The IS just amazes me and it really is a quantum leap from my old Tamron 24-135, now destined to remain on the shelf.
Iíve been really impressed with is the much more positive AF response. I was used to one or two red boxes in my viewfinder (except with my 70-200 F4L), now I get six or so and really sharp piccies.
I toyed with a 24-70 2.8L, which really is a great lens, but for what I do (landscapes and family stuff) the 24-105 is just the best all around fit.
Some of the negative opinions either have crap copies or their particular style of shooting requires a different lens.
This photo stuff is personal yíknow, donít just take a review as gospel, look at your own shooting style and buy a lens accordingly.

This is a truly great lens and is perfect for me.
The 24-70 2.8L is another truly great lens but I donít shoot sports and Iím not a press photographer et al, so itís weight and focal range mean I didnít keep it and it went back to Henryís.
The 24-105 does the job for me! Itís a keeperÖ..

Oct 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EyeBrock to your Buddy List
frankdatank

Registered: Jun 1, 2004
Review Date: Oct 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, nice colour, small size, incredible IS, perfect for 1.3 or full frame bodies
Cons:
Price, not wide enough on 1.6 crop body

A very sharp, contrasty lens. The 3-stop IS is excellent. I shot a waterfall at 1/6 handheld, image came out crisp and on par with tripod shots, except I can't mount the tripod in the middle of the stream. My copy is sharper than my 24-70/2.8 L.

Perfect walk around lens. 24mm is not quite wide enough ever since I sold my 1DMk2.

Oct 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add frankdatank to your Buddy List
J Li

Registered: Sep 4, 2006
Review Date: Oct 25, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,100.00

Pros: Solid build. Looks great.
Cons:
Soft images. Not much different from my 17-85mm IS. Overpriced for a f4.

I ordered the 24-105L with the intention to replace my 17-85 IS. I was very excited when the new lens arrived but after shooting with the lens both indoors and outdoors I was very disappointed with the IQ. I could not tell much difference between this one and the 17-85. The resolution, colors and contrast are very similiar.
It seems to be either a hit or miss with this lens, and with the high price tag that's just plain wrong! I thought of exchanging it with a new one, but trying to fish for a "good copy" is just too much hassle so I sent it back. Happy to save my money!

Oct 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add J Li to your Buddy List
Eyal Friedman

Registered: Sep 23, 2006
Location: Israel
Review Date: Oct 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp at all apture, perfect focal length for me, L build, fast and balanced on my 30D
Cons:
F4, I had front focuse which fixed by short calibration.

Lovely lens, no complains excapt the front focuse which alredy fixed.
Great all around lens.

Oct 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Eyal Friedman to your Buddy List
SilkyStrings

Registered: Aug 1, 2006
Review Date: Oct 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp. Great colour, good range. IS is well worth having. Lighter than my 24-70. Works well on my 20d and 400d bodies. I can do a wedding with this on one body and my 17-40 on the other.
Cons:
None, it's a great lens.

A sharp, contrasty lens that delivers the goods. The IS is a valuable asset. I shot a wedding for a friend a few years back and by word of mouth seem to do 4 or 5 now through the summer months. There is one shot at weddings, the signing of the register where I normally leave the tripod and hand hold. It's nice to know that when shooting at lower speeds I will not suffer camera shake. No excuses at a wedding, you simply HAVE to get all the shots required. IS is a welcome insurance. I know a lot of people see the 24-105 and the 24-70 as an either/or situation. For me the 24-105 doesn't replace my 24-70 but rather compliments it. I can certainly see the 24-105 becoming my 'holiday lens'. The only thing that would really rock the boat is if Canon ever produced a 17-105 f2.8 L IS. Then we'd all potentially be making those guys at Ebay EVEN richer!

Oct 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add SilkyStrings to your Buddy List
cubis

Registered: May 4, 2005
Review Date: Oct 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,119.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS, beautiful stunning contrast, L build and quality feel, superb balance and rightness of feel on a 5D body
Cons:
I suppose the minor vignetting at 24mm, clears up at35mm, Perhaps a little strong in the price department.

This is my first review and I apologize in advance as it is only my first evening with the lens, but I am just so darn excited!Perhaps some other short coming might arise after using it a while but maybe not. I just felt compelled to post a quick review as I find that sometimes first impressions are somewhat telling. I have to say that I was blown away by this lens. Shocking would be a better description. After reading some of the posts on this site of horror stories of soft copies, clunking IS, dust sucking and vignetting, I was somewhat braced for a bumpy ride, to include, pixel peeping, focus charts and wrangling with sales people to achieve satisfaction. These activities will be unnecessary. This thing is amazing and is a perfect complement to the 5D. Up until a week ago I was shooting a 20D with the 17-85 IS. I know that that lens has more than it's share of detractors, but I must say that mine was a sharp copy and I had many a fantastic shots that that lens was responsible for, so much so that I was concerned that I would be able to replicate the results that I got with that lens. I appears that my fears were unfounded. Also I do have some other decent points of comparison in my lens arsenal, such as the wonderful 70-200 2.8 IS. If you are shooting a 5D, I would say that this thing is a no brainier. DO IT. You will not regret it! It appears to be an ideal walk around lens for the 5D.

Oct 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cubis to your Buddy List
Joe Roback

Registered: Oct 16, 2006
Review Date: Oct 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,129.99 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp, "L" quality build, IS
Cons:
lens extends really far @ 105mm

First L lens. Now, I will never buy anything less then L quality. 3x more expensive, but you can see why from the moment you take it out of the box to the moment you are getting sharp terrific pictures.

Purchased it as an all-around--walk-about lens. Very pleased. Smile

Comes with hood and soft case. Purchased canon UV-1 filter and circular polarizer filter to go with lens.

Oct 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Joe Roback to your Buddy List
Theophile

Registered: Apr 10, 2006
Review Date: Oct 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Wonderful Walk Around mid-WA to mid-Telephoto Range on 30D-Excellent Color-Sharp Contrast-Great IS-Solid Feel of construction (Yes, it's an "L")!
Cons:

Sold the 100mm f2.8 macro and 70-200mm f4.0 to make this purchase, have no regrets!! This stays on my 30D 95% of the time for normal shooting, it is very sharp and has a pleasing Bokeh! Have 17-40L for WA and 100-400L for super zoom...so far, well pleased with these 3-lens compliments!!

Oct 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Theophile to your Buddy List
chuchutrain

Registered: Sep 6, 2005
Review Date: Oct 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, Image quality, Image Stabilizer, Zoom range.
Cons:
F4 (but you get what you pay for)

Oct 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add chuchutrain to your Buddy List
jgonzo

Registered: Dec 17, 2005
Review Date: Oct 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, great range, fast, IS, acceptable weight, build quality, ...
Cons:
none so far

I use it on my 350D.
Mounted on this camera it,s sharp, has a great range, it's fast, has IS, has an acceptable weight, perfect colours and has a great build quality.

Oct 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jgonzo to your Buddy List
Nick De Marco

Registered: Jun 13, 2006
Review Date: Oct 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great range, pretty sharp, good build quality, not too heavy, reasonable price
Cons:
Slight distortion at 24mm

I purchased this lens in August 2006 as a 'kit' lens with my new 5D.

I had wanted this lens anyway as it has a great range for an L lens and is not too expensive. For full frame it is an excellant walkabout lens. Although I found I often wanted to go a bit more wide and this lens can have some distortion at 24mm (so I bought the 17-35mm f2.8 L second hand), I particularly like the fact this lens goes to 105mm unlike some of the competitor L lenses. It means that for 'walkabout' you do not have to change your lenses quite as often as you otherwsie might. I am satisfied with this lens and would highly recommend anyone buying the 5D to get one as a kit lens as it is then very good value indeed.

To see a gallery of photos I have taken with this lens on my 5D, go to http://www.pbase.com/nickdemarco/canon_24105mm_f4_l_lens

Oct 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Nick De Marco to your Buddy List
FatBoyAl

Registered: Sep 4, 2005
Review Date: Oct 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,173.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Lightweight, great build quality, terrific IQ!
Cons:
Perhaps cost

My first L lens. I had the hardest time deciding between this and the 24-70/2.8 primarily due to the 2.8. Since I actually sat down and analyzed what I shoot, however, I decided the IS would take care of the extra stop. Plus, I really wanted the extra reach of the 105.
This replaces my 28-105/3.5 and that wasn't a bad lens at all. I appreciate the build and image quality of this lens and I think it's just the first L I buy.
So far, IQ has been just fantastic. Great colors and contrast. And the option of handholding down to 1/15sec is simply amazing! Sure, the 2.8 could have let me go to 1/30, but that wasn't going to be clear, not without IS! I'm totally impressed.
To boot, it's light and incredibly well made. Really, aside from a bit of a price break, what more could you ask for?

Oct 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FatBoyAl to your Buddy List

517 904392 Jul 19, 2014