516 895505 Apr 18, 2014
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84 - 23 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

stringbean11

Registered: Nov 26, 2005
Review Date: Dec 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,048.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Wow. Finally bought my first "L" glass and all I can say is "WOW". Didn't know what I was missing until this lense. Just bought yesterday with x-mas bonus and Couldn't be happier. Was torn between the 24-105 and the new 70-200 F4/ IS, but will wait on the F/4 until I can afford a 70-200 F/2.8. Highly recommend this lense as excellent walking around Lense.
Cons:
None......

"L" all the way....

Dec 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add stringbean11 to your Buddy List
ryan aguas

Registered: Dec 7, 2006
Review Date: Dec 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: very sharp starting at f4, excellent colors and contrast, good focal length range, bokeh is very pleasing, light yet well built, image stabilizer, quick AF
Cons:
prone to flare - creates unusual light halos, hood is not very effective extending front barrel with plastic material, severe barrel distortion, light fall-off on edges w FF camera

I find this lens very useful, specially for weddings and social events coverage because of the focal length range and IS capability.

Although many consider this as a GP standard lens, I think it is not suited for any other purposes other than weddings and social events for the following reasons:
1. severe barrel distortion and light fall-off makes it unsuitable for landscape and travel photography
2. unusual halos and light spots appear when used for night photography or when taking pictures with bright light sources in the frame such as sunsets and streetlamps(I'm using it with a 5D)
3. using the IS on while on tripod causes image blur ( i think the tripod-sensing IS thing isn't working)
4. weather sealing is dubious since the front element extends during zooming (i don't want to risk it)
5. quite softish at 105 (but still ok)
6. F/4 is not enough for action-stopping indoor shots, although IS is useful, subject motion blur is a problem

Having said the above reasons, I conclude that this lens is more of a specialist zoom lens designed for the purposes of shooting handheld photos of events. If you are doing social photography as a business or a photojournalist, this lens is a must-have. Otherwise you might be disappointed when used for other purposes. Results are good, sharp, and tacky --typical of L series lenses but then, Canon's attempt to make the package light and affordable has caused some major drawbacks in its performance. I'm waiting for an improved version of this lens. A wide angle L-series f/2.8 zoom with IS would be a nice replacement, for a start...

Dec 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ryan aguas to your Buddy List
Hans im Glueck

Registered: Dec 6, 2006
Review Date: Dec 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Impressing quality fore a zoom lens. perfect walkaround lens on a 5D. IS very usefull in low light.
Cons:

This is my most used lense while travelling. Its sharp, versatile and solid built. With the zoomrange 24-105 it covers most of my needs while travelling. Especially with the 5D it is a perfect tool.

Dec 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hans im Glueck to your Buddy List
Rudy Kouw

Registered: Oct 3, 2006
Review Date: Dec 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness up to 70 mm, fast focus, low weight.
Cons:
Soft borders from 70 mm and longer, no panning with active image stabilisation.

I choose this lens, as a companion of the Tokina 12-24 mm F/4, for the combination of good optical performence, at least on a APS-C size sensor, and relatively low weight. The image stabilisation comes as a partial compensation - moving subjects don't care about IS - in low-light photography.

This is a versatile lens, offering, up to 70 mm, very sharp images at full aperture, also at the borders. At 100 mm, which I use frequently for portraits, the performence is also very good, although for sharp borders one needs to stop down to F/8 or even F/11. The weight is favourable compared to any fast lens, say F/2,8, in the same focal range and compensates for the low-mass 350D. Using the 350D, the AF is very fast, also in low-light conditions. On a 30D body the AF appears to be even faster. The image stabilisation works very well, giving the opportunity to take low-light pictures or shooting with small apertures at 100 ISO to gain depth of field.

The only draw backs are the need to change lenses for wide-angle photography, at the risk of polluting the sensor. Further, one has to take care of an extra knob (for turning IS on or off). As only full IS mode is offered, panning is not possible.

Having this lens for more than four months, I was never tempted to use the kit lens.

Dec 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rudy Kouw to your Buddy List
mikesutherland

Registered: May 25, 2005
Review Date: Dec 3, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Well built
Cons:
Poor sharpness at 24-35mm

I was disappointed with this lense. I use it with both a 5D and 20D and it is very soft at 24-35mm (it is essential for me to be able to use this range). I also have a 24-70 L and it is far superior, I had been hoping that the 24-105 would be a good, compact travel lense but it is too soft. I have had my bodies calibrated by canon.

Dec 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mikesutherland to your Buddy List
dsundberg

Registered: Aug 12, 2002
Review Date: Dec 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,075.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: A well built lens with excellent IS and fast focus even in low light.
Cons:
Sharpness from 24mm to 35mm is poor to marginal, but comparable to my 17-40L in the same range. Canon really needs to work on short focal length zoom lens sharpness!

After much reading of others' evaluations here and published test reports, I finally decided to buy the lens hoping I would get a really sharp copy. Well I didn't get a copy that was sharp at short focal lengths. From 24 to 35mm, it is marginal at best. I tested it extensively on newsprint and found that until I got to f8, it was quite soft with my 20D. It is comparable to my 17-40L in the same focal range with the 17-40 being a little better at 35mm at f5.6. From 50mm to 105mm, it performed well in the sharpness testing. For scenics and landscape work using short focal lengeths, I will have to shoot at f8 to f11 when planning to make enlargements over 8 by 10".

In everyday shooting, the lens focusses fast and the IS is better than my older IS lenses. It appears to be well built and, hopefully, it will last a long time as my 'workhorse' lens. I hope when I buy a full frame body, I will still be happy with it.

Dec 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dsundberg to your Buddy List
evisione

Registered: Dec 25, 2005
Review Date: Dec 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, color, IS
Cons:
weight, price

My second favorite lens. Always dependable - w/ sharp colorful photos.

Dec 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add evisione to your Buddy List
Nimnar

Registered: Nov 5, 2005
Review Date: Dec 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: build quality, fast auto-focus, great range
Cons:
image quality is not consistent

I bought this lens to use on my XT and I'm finding that the autofocus with XT combination is not perfect. Sometimes I am getting slightly soft photos at f/4, sometimes sharp! By f/5.6 the lens is sharp through and through.

Overall, I like the lens and I think that when I match it with a full-frame upgrade results might improve. The image-stabilizer works well and I like it.

I recommend this lens.

Dec 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nimnar to your Buddy List
Jose Carrelas

Registered: Oct 10, 2006
Review Date: Nov 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Super Sharp, fast focus, colour/contrast, great build.
Cons:
a bit heavy

The only reason anyone could give this lens lower then an 8 rating is because they were unfortunate to get a bad copy, or they dont even have the lens and are canon bashers.

Just bought the lens and took about a hundred test shots and boy is this lens great. I had a 28-135 IS before which I enjoyed but now with this lens I see a world fof difference.(sharpness, colour, contrast, etc..)

So for anyone thinking of buying one , if this is in your money range and you want a great walkaround/leave on lens then the 24-105 f/4 L IS USM.

Oh plus I just bought the rebel xti(had the 300d before) and boy for a consumer body its great for my needs also.

Nov 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jose Carrelas to your Buddy List
Rajan Parrikar

Registered: Sep 9, 2006
Review Date: Nov 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Optical performance (colour, contrast, sharpness), build quality, versatility.
Cons:
Some barrel distortion at 24mm.

The 24-105mm f/4 L IS lens paired with my Canon EOS 5D body forms a versatile walkaround combination. I have used it effectively for landscapes, street shots, architecture and even portraits. This lens and the renowned 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS ought to be part of any serious photographer's armoury.

Nov 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rajan Parrikar to your Buddy List
Ed Cucci

Registered: Nov 18, 2006
Review Date: Nov 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,199.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great IQ, usefullness, build quality
Cons:
Bit heavy, mild ca, wish it was a 2.8

I got this lens as a "stay on the camera most of the time do it all kind of lens" and its been great. Some argue its not sharp, but mine is fine. I made some comparisons with my 35 f1.4 L and my 135 f2.0 L and I must tell you it's hard to see a difference. There is some mild ca in harsh transitions - but its easy to avoid. I wish it was a 2.8. I'd sell my other lenses - not! I love my primes, but zooms have come a long, long way.

Try it, you'll like it!

Nov 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ed Cucci to your Buddy List
rendrat

Registered: Oct 14, 2005
Review Date: Nov 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality (Sharpness, contrast, and color), Focal Length, and IS
Cons:
within the specifications : None

My shooting style is mostly general photography, and mostly just taking pictures of family and friend. This lens is perfect for that purpose.

I found since I purchased this lens, I seldom used the 50/1.8 and 85/1.8. I print mostly 4R (4x6 inch) and also sometime A4 (8x10 inch). I could not differentiate the image quality from this lens at that print size compared to the pictures taken from 24-105/4L IS. It shows that the cheap prime lens is very good, and also shows that the 24-105/4L IScan be as sharp as the primes. Some of my sharpest photos were taken with this lens.

When I am not sure which lens to bring, I just pick this lens. It will most likely fullfil my need.

Nov 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rendrat to your Buddy List
Syed Hafiz

Registered: Nov 14, 2006
Review Date: Nov 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: nice build, IS, Sharp
Cons:
not f2.8, expensive

Nov 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Syed Hafiz to your Buddy List
mohamed alfari

Registered: Sep 5, 2006
Location: United Arab Emirates
Review Date: Nov 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, IS is so amazing at low light, light, black and look good on 30D
Cons:
sometimes soft at 24mm

here are some samples just recently taken with both 30D and 24-105 which i just recived, my first photos with both.

here is on at 24mm

this lens can take realy nice macro shots, i listed one in the samples. as i said before 24 sometimes soft but maybe its not the lens its me, i am still a begginer.
i highly recommend it

Nov 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mohamed alfari to your Buddy List
Mr Grim

Registered: May 19, 2006
Review Date: Nov 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS is terrific, IQ from this lens is expanding my expectations of what is possible! Great walk around lens
Cons:

Got this baby for my new 5D - what a combo! I didn't need the 24-70's 2.8 f/ratio, especially with the 5D's great low light performance. I use this lens for a lot of shots of science experiments and projects at school (documenting student work) and for general purpose family and walk about. Unless I specifically need wider, or longer, it stays on the 5D 24/7/365. Highly recommended, worth the money if you have to get the money shot.

Nov 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mr Grim to your Buddy List
Mitch Fry

Registered: Nov 2, 2006
Review Date: Nov 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp Image, Great Contrast, Fast Focus and great IS for shooting sports.
Cons:
Could be lighter but that is the price you pay for quality construction. Certainly not a plastic light weight mediocre lens like the kit ones on rebel and 20D.

Great for shooting kids football game (5 FPS). Amazed at difference in image quality on the 20D over Sigma (17-35) and Tamron (28-300) zooms, though they are not bad lenses, just not nearly as sharp as this one. I liken it to the difference between HD TV and Standard TV, you don't know what you are missing until you pay to see the difference.

I know some have had focus problems but I can see individual hairs on the kids head that the 20D focused and captured at a full run (flag football game), in sports mode at 5 FPS. Also rarely did the camera have a problem focusing fast enough or even recognizing the correct subject in the frame when mulitple kids were in the shot. I have had a lot of focus hunting on my Tamron zoom so night and day with this lens.

I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Nov 2, 2006