520 906675 Sep 12, 2014
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84 - 23 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

darktiger

Registered: Jun 28, 2005
Review Date: Mar 24, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IS, Perfect range for me on a 30D, Sharp with good color and contrast
Cons:
Not a 2.8

I love this lens. After having trouble selecting between the 24-70 or the 24-105, I chose the 24-105 just for the IS. Suits my type of shooting. Places like museums, churches that do not allow flash IS is perfect. Not even a 2.8 is fast enough for some of these lighting situations. Plus this lens is light, so traveling with it is great. This with the 10-22 is a perfect combo for me...

Mar 24, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add darktiger to your Buddy List
dsterrito

Registered: Feb 20, 2002
Review Date: Mar 24, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,029.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS, Contrast, Sharpness, Fast focus, Build Quality, Lightweight
Cons:
Nothing that bothers me

I got rid of a 28-70L and a 24-70L because of the weight of these lenses. The 24-105 IS is the one I have been looking for. It is fast enough for pretty much all my shoots. The contrast and colors are everything that I could hope for.
Unless I am shooting action, this is THE lens on my camera all the tiime.

Mar 24, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dsterrito to your Buddy List
Seth Tower

Registered: Oct 9, 2006
Review Date: Mar 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding sharpness. Built like a tank. The magic of IS.
Cons:
Expensive for an f/4

This lens rocks! I upgraded from my beloved 28-135 IS and I couldn't be happier. This lens is a leap above the 28-135 in every aspect. For the 30D, there is no better walkaround zoom lens.

I really wish that Canon would make a much larger hood for use on an APC camera; the little hood doesn't do much to block stray light, though does a fine job of protecting the glass.

Mar 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Seth Tower to your Buddy List
pc168

Registered: Mar 9, 2007
Review Date: Mar 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very good sharpness even wide open. Very high build quality. The highest grade of walk-around EF lens in the market so far.
Cons:
Negligible

Bought this lens in Apr 06 and it has been over 90% of the time attached to my 350D. Excellent walk-around lens. Very effective IS. Very good sharpness across the whole zoom range even wide open. Color is great. For instance, its 24mm is comparable to 24mm prime.

At 105mm, the resolution drops a bit (still good) when wide open but improves a lot when stop down to f5.6. Totally not an issue.

I would expect to keep it for years.

Mar 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pc168 to your Buddy List
temalibero

Registered: Sep 18, 2005
Review Date: Mar 18, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Sharp, excellent quality, very fast USM, IS.
Cons:

Excellent general purpose zoom for 20D.

Mar 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add temalibero to your Buddy List
radiodenver

Registered: Apr 4, 2006
Review Date: Mar 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good general purpose lens, not too heavy, IS works great, sharp
Cons:

I purchased this lens as a general lens for my 5D. When you look at the available lenses in this focal range, this lens sits at the top of the hill. The wide zoom range makes it a great walk around/general use lens. The IS works very well for hand held shots and the L quality build makes it rugged. It isn't the perfect lens though. It does show a little vignetting on the full frame up to about f5 below 50mm. One could also wish for a little more arperture, but I really can't complain too much...I didn't buy it as a portrait lens. On the 30D, it is simply outstanding in every regard.

Mar 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add radiodenver to your Buddy List
Matt Graves

Registered: Jan 13, 2006
Review Date: Mar 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp images straight out of the camera. Great focal length on a 30D.
Cons:
It is f4, but I knew that when I purchased it so I cannot really discount the lens for that.

I have had the lens now for about a month and have taken roughly 2000 shots with it. I have found that my style of shooting has changed somewhat beecause I am getting a higher keeper rate. Part of that is that I was always testing the limits of light with my 70-200f4L and 17-40f4L lenses. The IS has really allowed me to start taking more ambient lit photo's. It is a great lens for using at parties, where you might want to get a good shot of someone without being in their face (17-40) or being in the other room (70-200).

I tossed around getting this lens or the 24-70 f2.8 USM. The extra 35mm at the long end was what made the decision easier for me, as I felt I wanted it. I might try the 24-70 sometime, but for now this lens is awesome.

I would recommend it to anyone as their first "nice" L lens.

Mar 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Matt Graves to your Buddy List
Bruce Sawle

Registered: Sep 26, 2006
Review Date: Mar 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, weight,and Contrast
Cons:

I love this lens it is the perfect walkaround lens it combines a smaller size than the 24-70L with equal sharpness.

Mar 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Bruce Sawle to your Buddy List
asabet

Registered: Sep 13, 2004
Review Date: Feb 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Focal length range, sharpness, color, contrast, build quality, image stabilization, size, weight.
Cons:
Barrel distortion, speed (compared with 24-70L). Bokeh is good but not great.

I got this lens used at a great price (2 months old and pristine). It is my most used lens on the 5D for all the reasons I listed above. It is sharp wide open throughout the focal length range and is unmatched for versatility. Highly recommended!

Feb 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add asabet to your Buddy List
ReneMurea

Registered: Aug 23, 2004
Review Date: Feb 18, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $890.00

Pros: Sharpness, color, build quality. I love almost everything about this lens
Cons:
No f/1.2. :) Doesn't go below 10mm and above 500. It is not pink. Ops, I already knew all this when I bought the lens so no surprise here.

nt

Feb 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ReneMurea to your Buddy List
Justin D

Registered: Sep 8, 2006
Review Date: Feb 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IS, Perfect range for me on a 30D, Sharp with good colour and contrast
Cons:
Bad bokeh

This lens is a solid all purpose lens. Under the right conditions, it takes awesome shots, though it doesn't do as well as some of my other lenses in less than ideal conditions. There are times when it blows me away and times when I'm a little disappointed that it's not doing all the work for me.
The bokeh is pretty bad - it looks a little like motion blur (even at 1/1000s), which to me makes some of my pictures look like they are taken at slow shutter speeds rather than having out of focus subjects. If you can get a bit of distance between your focal plane and the OOF areas, it isn't so noticeable - it's only when something is not right OOF (though that's always the case to some extent).
The range was perfect for a travel lens for me on a 1.6x camera. I had a 10-22 and 70-200 f4 IS with me for 3 months and I would certainly not hesitate to leave them at home next time.
It stands up well in terms of build quality.

Feb 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Justin D to your Buddy List
peanuthead

Registered: Jul 12, 2006
Review Date: Feb 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $980.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp wide open, good build, handling, compact
Cons:
distortion at wide angle

Great all-purpose lens. Sharp wide open at all focal lengths. Fast and accurate focusing. Great color and contrast. Good build and handling. Good size and weight. My only complaint was distortion at the wide end - I realized I was subconsciously avoiding the wide end, effectively making this lens 30-105mm for me. Ended up trading this lens in for 24-105mm. I do miss 70-105mm and IS now though.

Feb 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add peanuthead to your Buddy List
David H Aaron

Registered: Sep 21, 2006
Review Date: Feb 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, build quality...all that is typical of L lenses
Cons:

I'm a long time prime advocate but took the plunge and bought this lens. I basically justified it by thinking, Iwould keep it only if it compared favorably to my 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8.

I shot about 60 different shots at different apertures from a tripod (obviously, turning the IS off on the 24-105) at 50mm and 85mm, as well as at both ends. At 50mm and 85mm this lens proved as sharp as both primes at f/4 and even sharper at 5.6-11. I was amazed. There were very slight differences in color saturation when I printed the images, but I had to work very, very hard to see them. When I did a blind test, I was completely unable to distinguish which prints came from the primes and which came from the zoom except in those instances where the zoom proved a bit sharper at the center of the image.

I've since shot about 300 photos, including my son's basketball game in adverse light conditions. The IS worked extremely well. The renderings are very pleasing. No disappointments. So for those who are like I was, a doubter when it comes to using other than prime lenses, I must admit this proved to be a very pleasant surprise and learning experience.

Of course, it's not cheap, but I ended up trading in three prime lenses to offset some of the expenditure.

Feb 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add David H Aaron to your Buddy List
genefixer

Registered: Jan 22, 2007
Review Date: Feb 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp pictures, IS feature works wonderfully. Feels robust and sturdy.
Cons:
nothing significant

I recently upgraded to a DSLR (Canon 30D) and have begun "collecting" lens. The 24-135 makes for a perfect walk around most of the time lens. Can bring subjects closer, especially with the 1.4X II Canon extender and does remarkably good macro shots. With this lens a longer reach lens such as a 400mm or 300mm IS (still deciding) and a EF-S 10-22mm I think I am all set for the near future.

for just a couple examples see a couple shots from a beginner at:

Feb 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add genefixer to your Buddy List
ReneMurea

Registered: Aug 23, 2004
Review Date: Feb 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

This is the lens that I use the most. The perfect walkaround lens.

Feb 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ReneMurea to your Buddy List
downeyimages

Registered: Sep 30, 2005
Review Date: Jan 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $988.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: compact, light, solid built, smooth/fast focus
Cons:
None, unless the lens is being used for some other application that it wasn't designed for.

I have had this lens since Christmas and wanted to wait a bit before I posted an update. Since there were lots of remarks about this lens not being sharp at 105/f4, did cause some concerns.

I had already looked at the MTF charts provided by PhotoZone (http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html), so I knew that at 105 it was not at it's sharpest, however according to the charts even at 104/f4 it is still very good from center to border.

Now that I have had the lens for a while I am *very* happy with it. Without any technical test, just looking at images at 100% I find the images to be very sharp, with good detail. I have no regrets in this purchase, and it satisfies my photographic needs.

Here is one sample taken at 105/f4 hand held, with IS turned on; 1/200; iso 100; canon 20d

The rest of the album (Old Town) was also taken with the 204-105/f4 L

Robert

Jan 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add downeyimages to your Buddy List

520 906675 Sep 12, 2014