515 895255 Mar 11, 2014
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84° - 23° 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

toma7

Registered: Jan 31, 2007
Location: Austria
Review Date: Feb 8, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: best walk around lens for the 5d, it really shines between 35 and 70mm, L colors & contrast, IS is a life saver
Cons:
some CA, waiting for a 24-70/2,8 IS with hopefully better sharpness & resolution

most of the shoots were taken with 1/20 until 1/40

www.pbase.com/toma7/gothic_i

Feb 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add toma7 to your Buddy List
Memphis

Registered: Mar 15, 2004
Review Date: Feb 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lighter then the 24-70L, Very Sharp even in the corners, IS works!, Great IQ, Build, Great colors and contrast.
Cons:
Slight flare when shooting at night but nothing to worry about.

It tried this lens when if first came out and hated it, the lens was unusable at night due to some heavy nasty flare. That was before the lens flare recall on the early models and since Canon fixed the problem and said they messed up I'll give this review on the copy I have now.

I own the 24-70L but in some low light shooting I really wish it had IS and since my wife and I are expecting our first child soon I thought I would give the 24-105L another go.

I tested the 24-105L side by side vs the 24-70L. I shot the focal lengths of 24, 28, 35, 50 and 70 and I used the f stops of 2.8 (on the 24-70L) f4, f5.6, f8, f11 and f16. The first thing I looked at was how the lenses fared wide open and I was shocked to see the the 24-105 won since it was sharp in the corners and the 24-70 fell off a touch, something I never noticed in the past. I then looked at the lenses at the same f stops and the 24-105 was sharper at each one until about f8 where the two lenses became equal.

Next was flare, I went out and did a little night shooting and both the 24-70 and 24-105 gave me about the same amount but it was nothing that I couldn't work around...

I'm now wondering if something has went wrong with my 24-70L so I'm sending it back to Canon for a re-cal and I will retest them when I get it back.

Over all I think this lens is a winner

Sorry if there are any typos with this review, my silly yellow lab has been trying to get on my lap.

My test were done on a 5D

Feb 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Memphis to your Buddy List
barryhalifax

Registered: Mar 8, 2006
Review Date: Jan 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, fast & accurate focus, reasonably compact, good performer with 5D and 20D
Cons:

I was a bit hesitant about getting this lens for my 5D rather than the 24-70L having seen one or two rather negative reviews here. In the end I got a good deal on the lens from Jessops and have not been disappointed. I can't understand folks who buy a 24-105 then say they wish it was 150! You bought it knowing what it was so it's your fault, not the lens's.

Overall I was delighted with the performance of the lens.
Sharpness wide open at 24mm not quite up to my 70-200L f4 but, hey, you expect that for a wide optic zoom and it was still acceptably sharp & retained it's contrast at f4.
At 70mm and 100mm you can't tell the difference between the 2 lenses at any aperture, even on A3 prints. IS means more keepers, though, and I regularly shoot 1/25th or thereabouts at 105mm (which I couldn't do with the 70-200L where I'd be looking at at least 1/100th. or faster)

As a very subjective test I shot a scene at 50mm, f5.6 and ISO 100, and the same scene with Contax 35mm (Zeiss Planar 50mm 1.8) on ISO 100 film, again at f5.6. I had the film professionally scanned at high resolution (no, by a pro lab - not by a one-hour high street photo outlet!) and printed both at A4 (Epson R800 and Qimage) - absolutely no difference in sharpness, detail, contrast or smoothness of image that I (or any of my friends) could see. Some preferred the Zeiss/film colours, others the digital but I could have made them identical in DPP, DxO or PS had it been important. The bokeh was better with the Zeiss but I'm splitting hairs.

I have since revisited locations I shot in B&W with a Rollei 6004 (80mm Planar) and tried to replicate with 5D and 24-105 at 80mm.
It's pretty darn close but there's a subjective "niceness" about the Rollei images that are nothing to do with sharpness or detail.

I'm very happy with the lens but might get a 50mm 1.4 for carry-around.

Jan 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add barryhalifax to your Buddy List
Etienne Otero

Registered: Jan 10, 2008
Review Date: Jan 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $960.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: every one of its characteristics
Cons:

Most previous reviews prety much say it all. I'm givin this lens a 10 as it is perfect for my needs. Combined with a 5D, a 14mm and a 100-400mm, I feel I don't need any of my primes (50mm, 100mm). The macro is esquisite and very sharp, just what I would expect. I guess I got a good copy. This lens is hooked to my camera 95% of the time now, unless condotions require the large zoom or are really, really, really dark where my primes shine.

Jan 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Etienne Otero to your Buddy List
David Collomb

Registered: Nov 23, 2007
Review Date: Jan 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Wide zoom range, colours, IS, quick AF, built quality, sharpness.
Cons:
A bit unbalanced on a 400d but that's the camera's fault not the lens'

I am new to photography as I bought my first SLR (a 400d) 10 months ago. I knew nothing about depth-of-field, aperture, composition, etc…

With the 18-55 of the pack I discovered all the basis of how to use the camera (background blur, composition rules, exposition, bracketing, etc…) .

I photograph landscapes, animals by the Thames (birds), family meetings, but my main subject is my very young daughter. That’s why I was feeling the need of a longer focal length (~85mm) for portraits.

What was the rationale for choosing the lens?
A prime lens was first considered for portrait but I realised that one lens to cover the majority of my shots was the goal.
I considered sigma 17-70 and canon 17-85 IS, the fact that they are specific to crop sensors was a hurdle for the future.

I looked back at the hundreds of pictures I took during the 5 first months and very few were shot with a focal length below 24mm. It was surprise to realise that.

So I looked at 24-** lens and finally I was left with the classical choice between 24-70 and 24-105. Note that the sigma 24-70 was a good option but as I was still making my mind, my budget was growing so I looked directly at L lenses.

The classical 24-70 and 24-105 choice?
What made the difference for me was the additional 35mm, for my portraits and the wild-(but used to be fed with bread)-life purpose. F/2.8 from 24-70 was important because quite a lot of pictures were taken indoor and because a baby is rarely steady. On the other hand IS allows you more creativity. So the 24-105 won.

What do I do with the 24-105 L IS now?
My needs for portraits are fulfilled; I can take pictures from further and less disturb my subject.
Close up are nice too, not exactly macro but still useful.
Landscape, the loss of wide angle has never bothered me so far but the colours depiction has always pleased me.
Sharpness and contrast are amazing; I have shot some swans and sea gulls and it is indeed nice to appreciate the detail of their plumages, the results again are very rewarding.
IS is really effective and allows more creativity.

So I hope my review will answer some of your questions. If your profile is similar to mine, you can’t be disappointed by this lens.

Jan 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add David Collomb to your Buddy List
tmhuertas

Registered: Jan 21, 2008
Review Date: Jan 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros:
Cons:

Hi
I bought my first canon camera, it was the canon 5D with the 24-105L
I've been reading about the performance of the lense.
I've tried it for a bit only and it looks pretty cool to me, but looks like it distorts a bit when zooming especially when shooting people at close range.
my question is.

Is this lens good enough for weddings? or is there a better one for the same price range that I could go for?

I appreciate your advice in advance.

Jan 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tmhuertas to your Buddy List
tomoshi

Registered: Jul 9, 2006
Review Date: Jan 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, good range, fast focus
Cons:
f/4

I got this lens with my 5D, and since 5D was my first canon dlsr, this lens was also the first canon lens i ever owned. I did try the 24-70 f/2.8 a couple of times, but I prefer the wider range of focal lenghts. The IS works very well on the lens and the build quality is pretty good too.

Jan 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tomoshi to your Buddy List
three60

Registered: Jan 5, 2008
Review Date: Jan 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Exceptionally flexible, good size/balance, IS works well, good image quality
Cons:
A bit pricey, f/4 a bit slow at times, distortion at 24mm

I purchased this lens with the 5D about 6 months ago. Like many other people, it was a toss up between the 24-105 f/4L and 24-70 f.2.8L. A number of years ago, I used to shoot a fair amount of sports and back then, f/2.8 was absolutely critical. Nowadays, I shoot more travel, portraits, candids and landscapes and stopping action is a bit less critical. I also wanted something a bit smaller and lighter for travel.

I decided to give the 24-105 a shot knowing the IS would give me a 2-3 extra stops to compensate for the lack of f/2.8. It's also a bit more compact than the 2.8. I have to say, it's the most versatile lens I've ever used. On its first outing, I took it to shoot a naval shipyard, using a variety of focal lengths, lighting conditions inside and out, white balance, you name it. I was quite impressed with the quality of images I got, from ISO 100-3200.

From a sharpness perspective, it's up there. I'd say a hair below the best of Canon's primes, but for a zoom it's good. The zooming action is smooth and it focuses very quickly and quietly under most conditions.

At 24mm, there is noticeable distortion and a bit of vignetting. That is to be expected and I don't necessarily blame the lens. Zooms have some trade-offs and these are two I'm willing to live with for the flexibility. They are also both easily correctable in post-processing.

If I were shooting sports or weddings, I would probably opt for the 24-70, but the 24-105 complements my style of shooting very well. Two thumbs up.

Jan 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add three60 to your Buddy List
Daniel Gushue

Registered: Jan 3, 2008
Review Date: Jan 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $979.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Very useful zoom range on a full frame camera, IS works great, weather sealing, useful lens hood, great lens for the price
Cons:
A little heavy, mine has serious vignette at wide angles

I originally purchased this lens for use on a 1.6 crop sensor Canon Digital Rebel XT. The lens was a great performer in every way – sharp wide open at 24mm, fast focusing, good zoom range, and spectacular image stabilization. Now that I own a Canon 5D, I have noticed the lens has very significant vignette, which is especially apparent at wide angles. I haven’t noticed many other comments about vignette with this lens, so I wonder if I have a bad copy.

The build quality otherwise is great, as all Canon L lenses seem to be. Good weather sealing, fast focusing, excellent IS system, and a convenient 77mm filter size are all important features to me. The lens hood is a good design and works well.

Aside from the vignette issue, I would strongly recommend this lens. On a full frame camera this lens has a very usable zoom range, but on a crop camera the vignette is not an issue. Trade offs?

Jan 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Daniel Gushue to your Buddy List
peterchan

Registered: Jan 2, 2008
Review Date: Jan 3, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,196.00

Pros: Sharp, light weight, and sturdy build quality, nice lens hood.
Cons:
Price, zoom range is a little bit short. They should make this zoom range up to 24-150mm.

Excellent lens to have. Don't have to switch lens and have tons of dusts in your camera. Image stabilizer worked up to 1/15th, I tried with 2 copies and that is as far as they go. Don't believe people telling you, it can go up to 1 second. It is impossible to achieved.

Jan 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add peterchan to your Buddy List
peterchan

Registered: Jan 2, 2008
Review Date: Jan 2, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Lighter weight than 24-70. Very sharp way shaper than 24-70 that I own. Can hand held up to 1/15th with stabilizer. I like the flower shape hood, very nice looking compared to 24-70. Good contrast and color, and very good iQ. It is black and not white in color. It has the red seals, very pro like.
Cons:
People say you can use image stabilizer up to 1/3", I tested out two exact same lens, and maximum it can go is 1/15th. 24-105 is a little bit short of a range, I preferred it to be a bit longer like the 28-135mm. Image stabilizer is noisy.

This lens is superb in term of sharpness, color and contrast. It is a bit short for a zoom lens. I preferred to have a little longer reach. Not very cheap lens when it first comes out, now this lens has come down in price. The build quality is really good, it comes with a nice hood. This truly is a general walk around lens, with a little bit short of reach or else it would be perfect. I hate switching lens around because of the dusts and I always misses shots. This lens hadn't disappointed me so far.

Jan 2, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add peterchan to your Buddy List
John Mangan

Registered: Aug 21, 2007
Review Date: Jan 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,024.00 | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

That big decision: The 24-70 ("The Brick") or the newer 24-105 IS. I have researched for months and purchased both. The 24-105 is equal or better in everyway except moving objects in low light. The 10oz savings alone won me over. Purchase the 24-105 and then RENT the 24-70. You then will confirm you made the right choice. "........ optical quality of the Canon L-Series Lenses and a widely used range of focal lengths, the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens is one of the best and most popular Canon general purpose lenses made. The Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens quickly became one of my favorites. If I had only one lens, this would be the one." The-Digital-Picture-Review.com

Jan 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add John Mangan to your Buddy List
adamo99

Registered: Apr 21, 2006
Review Date: Jan 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: good range, good AF performance in ample light outdoors, IS a bonus at long end.
Cons:
build quality not up to par (compared to 24-70L and 70-200 2.8L), horrid(!) AF performance in low light

I brought this lens along on a recent trip instead of my 24-70L (mounted on a 1DmkII), as I didn't want to bring an entire bag full of lenses. While the lighter weight is nice, the build quality feels almost flimsy in comparison to the 24-70.

Outdoors in daylight, the lens is great! The range is fantastic, and the image quality is excellent. When the sun goes down, and you have to shoot in lighting conditions that are less than ideal, this lens really disappoints. It hunted constantly for focus, even during a stage show lit up by more than a dozen stage lights.

I far prefer the build quality, and low-light AF performance of the 24-70L.

Jan 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add adamo99 to your Buddy List
albertino

Registered: Dec 22, 2007
Review Date: Dec 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $110,000.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: dotato di ampia escursione focale e stabilizzazione. In termini di nitidezza non lo classifico eccellente
Cons:
Soffre di vignettatura e distorsione non indifferente a 24mm -affetto da aberrazione cromatica-

Non merita la classificazione di un obiettivo L
decisamente inferiore al 24-70 2,8 -ha il vantaggio della stabilizzazione e maggiore escursione focale ma la nitidezza non la puoi nè inventare nè elaborare

Dec 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add albertino to your Buddy List
Ludwigia

Registered: Jun 22, 2004
Review Date: Dec 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $920.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Reasonable weight, sharp, IS work well
Cons:

I am very happy with this lens. I find a great walk around lens and the IS is a real benefit. I have quite a few lenses and this is the one I reach for most often.

Dec 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ludwigia to your Buddy List
Povilas

Registered: Aug 23, 2007
Location: Lithuania
Review Date: Nov 28, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Zoom range! Small, light, IS
Cons:
A pain in the neck to focus in low light! CA visible in particular situations, a bit soft at f4

I have rented this lens to photograph my cousins wedding. It is perfect on a sunny day. However...

When it became darker the lens started to refuse to focus. Under the clouds the CA was visible. Actually, the bride's white wedding dress even looked a little bit blueish. I have switched to Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II for couple of shots and it did not show any blueish whatever... F4 was a usual condition and the pictures are not very sharp. At least when compared to me 50mm.

The focus problem might be related to my entry-level D350. However, the color distortion was a bit strange.

My verdict: choose the right product for the occasion. If you want a good walkaround lens for your vacation - this one should be one of your best choices.
For indoor shooting and important events like wedding - choose something faster (f2.8 at least) and with better optical quality.

Nov 28, 2007