520 906152 Sep 12, 2014
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84° - 23° 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

RexGig0

Registered: Jul 12, 2014
Review Date: Sep 12, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Accurate, fast AF, with a very useful range of focal lengths for my needs, including a very useful short MFD, and weather-sealing. A very good value pre-owned, in early September 2014, with a successor rumored to be announced soon.
Cons:
Distortion at the 24mm end, but I knew that before buying, as indicated below, so not a con for me.

I needed a high-quality, weather-sealed zoom primarily for the 28-80mm range, for crime scene/evidentiary/forensic shooting, using my 1D Mark II N and 7D cameras. I learned my Crime Scene Unit colleagues had recently been issued this lens, to use on their 7D and 50D cameras. Working patrol, if I want a DSLR, I have to provide my own, and it seemed reasonable* to use a lens equal to those used by the Crime Scene folks. A beautiful pre-owned specimen of this lens fortuitously appeared at a local camera store, with a low $775 US asking price, and after a short test session, it came home with me.

A test shoot at home, indoors and outdoors, as the sun went down, confirmed I made a good choice. AF is quite fast and accurate, at least on a 1D II N body. The quite short minimum focusing distance will be very useful. This lens plays well with a 600EX-RT Speedlite, in E-TTL, with the expected -1 Flash Exposure Compensation being needed at close range.

This lens had never been on my wish list, but I had not known, until shortly before the purchase, that it was weather-sealed and had such a short minimum focusing distance. I had previously noticed that plenty of professionals and serious outdoors enthusiasts used it, in spite of the pixel-peepers not necessarily being happy with this lens. (I am not bashing pixel-peepers; some of them are friends of mine!)

This lens will join my 100mm and 60mm macro lenses as daily (nightly) working companions. It may not have f/2.8, and may have some crazy, complex barrel distortion at the wide end, but it has what I need, and will also be a good choice for some of my personal shooting, especially travel and walking-about.

I intended this review to be practical, not technical.

*When selecting an item of police equipment, credibility in the courtroom can be an issue, especially when being cross-examined by the opposing attorney. A lens selected by a large agency for digital image evidence at homicide scenes is a good choice for a patrol officer working for the same agency, who will be testifying in the same courts.

Sep 12, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RexGig0 to your Buddy List
pifatore

Registered: Jul 13, 2008
Review Date: Sep 10, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 4

Pros: good colors and contrast, fast af, good focal range
Cons:
Bad corners, quality control flaws, noisy IS

It could be a good walk around lens, if you can get a good copy.
Me, I tried 2 copies with the same decentering problem. 20-25% of the frame showing very visible lower resolution than the rest, at different focals each.
Seems like this is a very common feature of the canon lenses, too bad.

Sep 10, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pifatore to your Buddy List
Soulphoto2014

Registered: Sep 3, 2014
Review Date: Sep 3, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Zoomrange, cheap, good flat studiolens at higher apertures (so you don't buy it for the bokeh).
Cons:
IQ : heavy vignetting on FF, not so sharp, no f2.8, not ideal for portraits

I know older photographers that use it in studio at higher apertures thanks to the nice zoomrange, but Sigma meanwhile made the newer better 24-105 f4 Art (check Tony Northrups video on youtube, the Sigma is way sharper!)

So I don't recommend this lens, it's outdated and given almost free in kits, you can consider it as a kitlens which will be sold in future if you get to know better optics.

Go for the Sigma Art if you really enjoy the 24-105 zoomrange.
I wish I could also enjoy it, but i'm too picky, I choose fast lenses for the bokeh and sharpness. Even the 24-70's f2.8 are too slow for me Smile

Sep 3, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Soulphoto2014 to your Buddy List
Peter Kotsa

Registered: Nov 1, 2007
Review Date: Jul 19, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Good range, Image stabiliser
Cons:
none so far

A grey walk around lens at a very decent price. IS comes in very handy and the image quality is well above average at all focal lengths. Had the 24-70 2.8L (v1) and was happy, however too heavy. Well pleased for the change to this lens.

Jul 19, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter Kotsa to your Buddy List
Clumseyfingers

Registered: Apr 18, 2014
Review Date: Apr 18, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

I'm new here so I'm not sure I'm in the right place.

I'm not professional, but a camera of some kind is with me most of the time, often in dusty, rough-and-tumble environments.

I currently only have the kit 18-55 that came with my Rebel T1i.

I want a replacement walkaround lens with more zoom, don't do much wide angle, but quite a bit of close-up. I don't want to be changing lenses alot.

I seem to get mixed messages about this lens for cropped cameras. I know this lens might be overkill for a Rebel, but I like my camera and this lens has the zoom range (38-168mm) I'd like.

Any advice?

Thank you!

Apr 18, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Clumseyfingers to your Buddy List
Zorrophoto88

Registered: Jan 9, 2014
Review Date: Mar 11, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Affordable, good kit lens, nice range in the overall zoom, IS is solid, sharp image quality over the range
Cons:
not f/2.8, wide open slightly off

Very good (not great) affordable L series lens...really an entry level 'L' kit lens. I think Canon knew the marketing link to the 5DM3 had to have a reasonable quality red-stripped lens. Overall, I am very satisfied, great walk around, solid weight and feel, good IS. Not sharp on the wide end, but really close. I must have a good copy, as it is clean over most of the range, just tweak back a little bit at each end. I think this is great lens for a non full frame such as a 7D. Paid $700 separately for my 5DM3, lots of these lenses on the resell/ebid market place. Tormented on the decision 24-70 or 24-105....the f/2.8 vs f/4.0 and $$$ at issue. Better if it was f/2.8, but I guess it would erode the model position of 24-70L f/2.8 both G1 and G2. I will pick up the 24-70 at some point...as they say "why not".

Mar 11, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Zorrophoto88 to your Buddy List
hans.dampf

Registered: Feb 12, 2014
Review Date: Feb 12, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Weight Versatility Sharpness
Cons:
Only f/4 Distortion Quality of bokeh

Photographing with an objective of the "L" series from Canon, is really a luxury and comfort that can not be topped. It is sure that the Canon Marketing does their job well, and the Canon EF 24-105 zoom is quite expensive, but it is really a very good product. Only the good primes that are at this level of quality. This is the main difference to other brands, that are sometimes 4-5 times cheaper like Tamron & Co. Quality has its price.

Noise: Just like the zoom Canon EF 100-400 Series "L", I hear nothing, no noise at all, not even from the IS. It's kind of the selling point of the USM "engines". In everyday shooting, it does not give you a big difference, unless you are a nature photographer photographing animals and you do not want to attract any attention.

Technically spoken, the zoom Canon EF 24 -105mm is super sharp and has a very effective image stabilization. Remember that shooting below f/4 is not always an option as you need enough depth of field, so the f/4 is not necessarily a limiting factor in all types of using this lens. On the everyday tasks, you'll forget that this lens is even on your camera, and that is what makes a good objective for me: An objective that does the job so well that you completely forget about it. This allows you to focus on something else, more important things like the composition.

As zoom lenses can rarely do everything perfectly, the Achilles heel of the Canon EF 24 -105mm is its distortion and bokeh. Apart from high quality portraits and precise and geometrically perfect architecture photography, the lens will be a faithful companion. And if you acquire this objective in a bundle, probably a Canon 5D Mark II or III, what more do you need?

For more details, please have a look at my page here: Photographe en Suisse romande. On the page, the picuture of the couple with the mountain range is taken with the 24-105mm, at f/4 to separate the couple from the background.

Feb 12, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hans.dampf to your Buddy List
lunacat

Registered: Jan 13, 2014
Review Date: Jan 13, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

A great lens if you need a good focal range without having lots of lenses in your bag. This would be to me a great travel lens for anything. You're able to get great landscapes with quite a wide angle on a full frame with still the ability to get interesting portraits at a longer focal.

The only problem could be because of the f/4 that may be not so interesting in low light situations.

An example of using this lens on travel without standing out so much of the crowd: http://www.lunacatstudio.fr/photographe-gruyeres-suisse-photographie-voyage/

Jan 13, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lunacat to your Buddy List
caMARYnon

Registered: Jan 29, 2013
Location: Romania
Review Date: Jan 1, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ, colours, IS, AF, very sharp in center of image
Cons:
zoom creep, huge 24mm distortion, soft corners for today's standards

My copy is very sharp from 24 to 105, with a maximum at 35mm and a minimum at 85-105mm. IS and AF are excellent. This lens is perfect for travel and family shots in good light.

Jan 1, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add caMARYnon to your Buddy List
slee915

Registered: Jan 4, 2006
Review Date: Jan 1, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: IS, range, build
Cons:
everything else

If someone want 1 lens on a full-frame camera, this lens is most often the answer at FM. However, I couldn't give this recommendation.

At 24mm, there is too much distortion, and it appears to be not as "wide" as 24-70f/2.8.

It is also very soft after 70mm. Sharpness is not that great at the rest of the zoom range also.

If someone wants to buy a FF and put a slow f/4 on it; I'd recommend buying a crop camera and get a few fast primes or 17-55 f/2.8 or 15-85

Jan 1, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add slee915 to your Buddy List
dkyeah

Registered: Dec 10, 2013
Review Date: Dec 10, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: IS - Focal range - Decent built quality - Decent IQ - Affordable
Cons:
Not stellar IQ - Not razor sharp - Not f/2.8

I started out with this lens on my 7D and kept it for a while when I bought my 5DIII. While on a APS-C camera it isn't wide enough to be a real walk-around lens, on a full frame camera it's quite good. The focal range is great.

The image quality is decent. It's not as sharp as the 24-70 2.8 II especially wide open. Though when stopped down it gets better.

The IS comes in handy in low light as the lens isn't f/2.8. It also might help those that shoot video.

If you shoot primarily in studio, travel, winter sports (outside) or video this will be an awesome lens. Especially if you start out and don't have the money for the 24-70 2.8 II + 70-200 2.8 IS II.

Though if you shoot weddings, concerts or natural light portraits, it will shows it flaws (f/4.0 not fast enough, not very sharp wide open, not so shallow depth of field,...).

You can find a few pictures I took with the 24-105 a few years ago on my website: http://quentindecaillet.com/blog/376-grimpe-avec-yann-decaillet.html

Dec 10, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dkyeah to your Buddy List
Medic8ed

Registered: Oct 9, 2013
Location: Seychelles
Review Date: Nov 2, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great image quality, Light weight, Image stabilizing
Cons:
Not against the lens but the photographer.

I have a small ad business.
I love this lens and it's match on the 6D. The colors from the two give a more realistic picture than from my 7D.

I must carry my camera differently than most of the other users. I don't get lens creep. I do know I have the camera and lens pointed forward when walking. I do 4-5 hikes each week with my sons dog. I always have a camera with me.

I love the IS with this lens. It sure helps my shaky hands that I have compared to my wife's.
Focusing is fast and accurate.

I like full lens hoods vs the petal style that comes with this lens. The 24-70 F2.8 has a full lens hood.

Equ. 7D 6D sigma 10-20mm sigma 150f2.8mm macro Canon 24-70f2.8 24-105f4 IS 70-200mm2.8 mk1 300mm F4 400mm F5.6

Nov 2, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Medic8ed to your Buddy List
sgraafmans

Registered: Feb 5, 2006
Review Date: May 10, 2013 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,200.00

Pros: Image quality
Cons:
Build very poor, twice this lense has failed a auto focus diaphram.

I've had this lense nearly 2 years now, its done very minimal light work.
Without notice it started giving lense error on both nmy 7D & 5D bodies.
I sent it to Canon Australia where they diagnosed & told me of the focus diaphram needing replacement. I was shocked at such an expensive lense needing such repairs given the short time I owned it and minimal work it had done. After getting over the shock of it all I decided to pay the repair cost of $530. Within a few weeks afterwards they sent me a repair survey asking my opinion on Canons service, I was still so discussed that such an expensive lense had failed in the first place, and the cost of repair, that I refused to even answer there request. It has now been 6 months after the repair, I have used the lense twice since and it now has the same problem again.

May 10, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sgraafmans to your Buddy List
arovane

Registered: May 20, 2008
Review Date: May 7, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice Colors, good IQ and the IS works well. Itīs a good walkaround Lens. The Build Quality is good as well
Cons:
The IS makes a lot of noise, wenn you are try to shoot a Film in quite Situations.

May 7, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add arovane to your Buddy List
rbussmann

Registered: Apr 11, 2013
Review Date: Apr 14, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice zoom range, weight
Cons:
Image quality could be better, lens creep, color rendition not optimal

Great value lens, and good as walk around. Color rendition could be better. Image quality is good, but a bit soft at the long end (at least in my copy). Zoom creep is an issue after a while.

Apr 14, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rbussmann to your Buddy List
LeoJan

Registered: May 26, 2006
Review Date: Mar 29, 2013 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: For me the most use zoom, relative small, very very nice IS, good IQ. If you chose an all-round zoom take this one
Cons:
Creep, after two years. For an all-round zoom bad. A construction failure.

I bought this zoom when it came out. Sold my 24-70 F2.8 and still I found the 24-105L the better zoom for my needs. For more I use a prime. Ideal for trips, with a small zoom with an ideal range. IQ is good.

I hate the creep, this spoils a lot. Especially for a walk around zoom, I think Canon made a mistake. No rocket science to make a lock button is it? Now I use the zoom with a strong elastic around the zoom-ring.

Normally you would say, oke this zoom sucks. But still I love it. If you have to chose one lens and not chose an a nice 50 mm I always take this one with me.

Mar 29, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add LeoJan to your Buddy List

520 906152 Sep 12, 2014