Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM

112 252658 May 29, 2014
efs60_28macro_usm

A thoroughly modern design that's optimized for select Canon EOS digital SLRs. Its angle of view is equivalent to a 96mm lens on a 35mm camera, with a floating optical system that can focus down to full life-size (1:1) magnification. Inner focusing, driven by a silent and powerful ring-type USM, means the lens' overall length never changes during focus. This lens is a wonderful multi-purpose lens that's equally at home shooting macro shots, portraits or available-light photos. Like all Canon EF-S Lenses, its use is restricted to the EOS 20D, EOS Digital Rebel and EOS Digital Rebel XT cameras.

Diagonal Angle of View: 25

Focus Adjustment: Manual

Closest Focusing Distance:0.2m /0.65 ft.

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 2.9" x 2.8", 11.8 oz. / 73 x 69.8mm, 335g (lens only)

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7  next

hijkim

Registered: Oct 27, 2005
Review Date: Nov 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $390.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, fast when in good light and light weight.
Cons:
AF hunts in low light or when there is not enough contrast. EF-S.

This and EF-S 18-55mm was my first lenses for my 350D. I did not know how sharp this lense was until I got my self a Flash (Sigma EF 500 DG Super). After that I really started to use this lens and my sigma flash even on bright day light and the details on my macro shots were amazing. I did not know before how most of FMers were taking such a finely detailed macro shots. I thought my camera was bad.

Since then I got my self a 17-40L and the EF-S 60mm is still way more sharper and takes better over all quality photos then 17-40L but I shouldn't be comparing two totally different type of lenses.

Only thing is working distance is not enough for some macro shots and for that I think I'll look into Sigma 150mm Macro.

Nov 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hijkim to your Buddy List
abam

Registered: Apr 25, 2005
Review Date: Nov 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: extremely sharp as both a macro and a portrait lens. this is in line with the MTF charts found at canon's website, which show that the 60mm is right up there with the 135L in terms of resolution. build quality is nice (surprisingly heavy for as small as it is).
Cons:
because it's EF-S, it gets much less respect than it deserves. even though the lens is 400 dollars, it doesn't come with a lens hood (which is a necessary piece of kit). come on, canon; include hoods with all but your cheapo lenses. can hunt a bit in low light, but the use of a speedlight AF assist light (or st-e2 unit) takes care of that problem.

this lens is an extremely sharp piece of glass. my macro shots have such astonishing clarity and detail, and the portraits that this lens produces (when shot correctly) always have to be "photoshopped down," because the 60mm will resolve all of the blemishes in a person's skin. for a sharpness comparison, check out the MTF charts for the 60mm 2.8 macro and 135L at:

and

gear snobs seem to enjoy trashing the EF-S line of lenses - and among other things, claiming that EF-S is a bad investment (while in reality, unless your camera gear is bringing in revenue, NONE of it is an investment...rather just a hobby expense), or that EF-S is going to be phased out in the near future; the truth of the matter is that the vast majority of canon DSLR owners use 1.6 bodies, and will continue to do so until FF can compete pricewise with the 1.6 line. consider these coments in a recent online forum by canon guru bob atkins ( homepage: www.bobatkins.com):

"(1) It will be a long time - 3 years or more - before we see a full frame sensor camera selling for $2000

(2) Canon won't be phasing out the 1.6x sensor in their consumer (Rebel) line anytime in the forseeable future.

(3) There are (and will probably always be) more 1.6x bodies out there than anything else.

So there's absolutely no danger of EF-S lenses (or the demand for EF-S lenses) going away within the next, say, 10 years..."

(more interesting reading on the topic at: http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_questions_eos30d.html)

i opted for this lens over a 50mm 1.4, because it proved to be sharper than the 50, and i got macro as an added bonus. cheers!

Nov 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add abam to your Buddy List
Sox2

Registered: Sep 14, 2005
Review Date: Nov 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, a pleasure to use, good design
Cons:
AF very occasionally hunts, also a little slow.

Bought this lense as a comprimise between a macro and a potrait lense. It does both very well. This lense is one reason to forget about the full frame 5D and stay with your 20D/XT!

Highly recommended.

Nov 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sox2 to your Buddy List
badowski

Registered: Oct 31, 2005
Location: Poland
Review Date: Oct 31, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp and f2.8. Nothing else matters...
Cons:
EF-S only. Quite slow, despite USM.

I would never think that non-L lens may be that good! Its sharpness is amazing across whole frame. The picture quality is the same as of EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro but 3 times cheaper and lighter (f2.8).

There is nothig you can compare to that lens in this price range (Sigmas 50 and 100 macro are way more soft).

The AF is hunting sometimes and it takes over a second from end to end, but for good macro photo I switch to manual.

I love this lens!

Oct 31, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add badowski to your Buddy List
foolstop

Registered: Jan 10, 2005
Review Date: Oct 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: light, fast, sharp, sharp, sharp
Cons:
hood not included

Wonderful, it became my walk around lens.
Fast focusing, thanks to the ring USM and FTM. Focus swiftly from 20 cm (from CCD) to infinity. A great macro and portrait lens for 1.6x body. Forget to mention, it is F/2.8 and can shoot wide open though two stops down would be excellent.

What do you want :P

Oct 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add foolstop to your Buddy List
nighthawk

Registered: Dec 19, 2004
Review Date: Oct 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, Internal focusing and light weight
Cons:
Focus hunts on areas of poor contrast.

I bought this lens for 2 reasons really, I needed a macro lens and I wanted a lens to fit in the gap between my 17-40L f4 and the soon to be replaced 75-300.

I use it was even more of a good buy as it's the brightest lens I have now :-)

Focusing on solid colours or smooth surfaces give the AF a hard time as you'd expect from any lens really, but point it at any other object and the USM does it's stuff quicker than the 17-40 L.

It spends more time on my 20D now than the 17-40 does.

A little bit expensive too.....but it seems everything in the UK is expensive!!!!

Oct 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nighthawk to your Buddy List
2bruce

Registered: May 18, 2005
Review Date: Oct 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $409.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: light fast amd very shoes does amcro and portraits
Cons:
only for 1.6 cameras slow focus

Well there are many positive things to say but first I love the sharpness and its weight of this lens it's light for a 96 mm equivalent lens
but also well built, and the fact you get two lens for the price of one,as in a macro and a portrait lens.
I would of liked to get a lens hood and soft pouch for the money but no complaints really, sometimes sit can be slow to focus.if Iever get the Canon 5d Iwill miss it

Oct 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 2bruce to your Buddy List
donutley

Registered: Mar 28, 2005
Review Date: Sep 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $420.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, fast, sharp, solidly built, FUN.
Cons:

This is now my favorite lens. Of course it's sharp (as every review has stated), but it also works and feels like a superior lens is supposed to. It is simply a joy to use. A stunning lens.

Sep 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add donutley to your Buddy List
condrup.net

Registered: Sep 7, 2005
Review Date: Sep 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, great for portraits too, cheap since you actually get 2 for 1 (Macro and Portraits)
Cons:
No lens hood. Should imo have been the first EF-S L lens.

At the moment, im a 20D user, though soon switching to 1D MKII N. I had the 50mm f/1.4, which i liked alot, however i wanted to play around with som macro too and while i take alot of portraits, i saw this as a good opportunity to get 2 for 1.

This lens is awesome, very clear, crisp and razor sharp. So, if youre looking for a macro and take portraits too, you should get this one..

Regards

Sep 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add condrup.net to your Buddy List
jasonp1

Registered: Apr 13, 2005
Review Date: Sep 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP! very good USM focus for a macro, very compact, doesn't extend while focusing and did I say SHARP!
Cons:

The deciding factor when I bought this lens (between the 50mm and 60mm) was the fact that the 60mm would go to 1:1 w/out additional accessories. I've used the 100mm macro and as much as I like it, it more-often-than-not required the use of a tripod and/or manual focusing. Although some situations with the 60mm has required manual focusing, most times it has AF'ed just fine and "handholdability" is very good.
The sharpness of this lens as others have mentioned is as good as ANY lens you can buy. The length makes for a good portrait lens and can be used as an all-around lens as well. I just can't say enough good things about this lens. You won't be disappointed.
Jason

Sep 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jasonp1 to your Buddy List
Grayray

Registered: Jun 7, 2005
Review Date: Sep 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, usm is fast on the focus and fast is an under statement SHARP! SHARP!! SHARP!!!
Cons:
Nothing worth talking about here, but if you want to, read below

SHARP, SHARP, SHARP.

I dont think I will ever get over how sharp this lens actually is, after seeing portraits I had taken with the lens my friend put it best "that lens can make good skin look bad" that can be a bad thing if your getting right in someones face but if you have PS or a soft focus filter you will never need to worry about it.

only other thing is the manual focus on it can take sometime to get all the way around ie. going from macro to infinite, BUT it is USM with full time manual focus so just focus on the general area then fine tune it with the focusing ring (I have only had to do this once, it was in very low light)

and those are the only 2 things you could consider cons, I didnt put in more pros about it because everything good about it has already been said in the previous reviews.

Sep 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Grayray to your Buddy List
Canis

Registered: Apr 19, 2005
Review Date: Sep 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, fast AF and very sharp. Excellent for Macro work and a quality walk around lens.
Cons:
Bit pricey compared with its peers.

I bought this lens with only macro work in mind but it has stayed on camera a lot more than I might have expected. It is light and makes a good walk around lens. The macro capability is outstanding, it is slightly prone to hunting but that goes with the wafer thin DoF when shooting small insects using AF. On larger subjects the AF is fast an accurate. The quality it produces is outstanding, very sharp, bright, this is a lens that can be used effectively even when hand held, for very small subjects.

Sep 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Canis to your Buddy List
George Chew

Registered: Sep 2, 2005

Pros: Extremely sharp. Very managable for macro works due to its size.
Cons:
Too sharp for portraits, if I'll to cmplaint.

Just have a for a couple of weeks, didn't really do any serious macro works, but did took a few beautiful pictures of one of my regular models. This lens is extremely sharp. It shows everything and hiding nothing. So I've to shoot wide open to soften the subject. An incredible lens to have.

Sep 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add George Chew to your Buddy List
Vole

Registered: May 22, 2005
Review Date: Aug 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb. Don't tell Canon, but I would have paid double the price for this Lens. Wonderful for shooting anything and everything.
Cons:
My zoom Lenses suddenly became crap.

I used to think that soft images were just an inherit part of dSLR Cameras...WRONG! It was my zoom Lenses all along, and the EF-S 60mm Macro proves it.

This is my first Prime, and nothing prepared me for the sharpness and realism a Lens like this offers. it's sharper than my 70-200mm f/4L, and the image quality is so good that it has become my first choice 'walk around' Lens on my 20D (with 1:1 Macro as a major bonus!)

While the AF can be slow, I haven't witnessed any of the low light focus problems noted elsewhere. Build quality rivals 'L' glass.

Buy it. But be warned, it's SERIOUSLY addictive, and if you've only ever used zooms, even 'L' zooms, be prepared to dump them for a life of prime(s) It's true, it's THAT good!

Aug 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Vole to your Buddy List
someet

Registered: Mar 16, 2005
Review Date: Aug 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $420.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tiny size, light wait, great AF, quiet, shaaaarp!... I am sooo much in love with it.
Cons:
Obvious... working distance

Well... the more I use it the more I am awed by its performance and usability. In my view this is the easiest lens for handholding macro photography. Being so small and light, macro photog has never seened to convenient. There are times when I dont want to carry a heavy lens or when the main purpose of my trip is not macro. In that case, I can just easily slip this lens in a corner and carry it for those surprise moments when you just suddenly encounter a beautiful insect or flower. Shaaaarp... can not say enough. AF is beautiful... even at the 1:1, I have always used AF with this lens. Previously 100mm macro of canon seemed to be a great option... but now i feel for me it is a good idea to have 60 for those days when I am not really thinking of macro and a sigma 150 for days when I want dedicated serious macro photography and am carrying a tripod, flash etc.
Love it Love it Love it!

Aug 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add someet to your Buddy List
by32

Registered: Dec 6, 2004
Review Date: Aug 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, light, great optical performance
Cons:
Relatively more expensive than other options

This lens has replaced my trusty 50mm/f1.4 as my prime walk-around lens. It has amazing performance.

The lens is a little overpriced relative to its full-frame cousins, but if you can overlook the extra 100, i highly recommend this lens as a must-have for 20d/rebel owners.

Aug 5, 2005