Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM

115 257359 Jul 27, 2015
efs60_28macro_usm

A thoroughly modern design that's optimized for select Canon EOS digital SLRs. Its angle of view is equivalent to a 96mm lens on a 35mm camera, with a floating optical system that can focus down to full life-size (1:1) magnification. Inner focusing, driven by a silent and powerful ring-type USM, means the lens' overall length never changes during focus. This lens is a wonderful multi-purpose lens that's equally at home shooting macro shots, portraits or available-light photos. Like all Canon EF-S Lenses, its use is restricted to the EOS 20D, EOS Digital Rebel and EOS Digital Rebel XT cameras.

Diagonal Angle of View: 25

Focus Adjustment: Manual

Closest Focusing Distance:0.2m /0.65 ft.

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 2.9" x 2.8", 11.8 oz. / 73 x 69.8mm, 335g (lens only)

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8  next

slyb

Registered: Mar 20, 2008
Location: Taiwan
Review Date: Mar 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $383.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, perfect bokeh, solid built, weight, size, FTMF (USM) Do NOT extend when focusing
Cons:
Serious problems focusing in 'low' light. Might be a bit overprices for an EF-S prime (can't use on FF)

Real 1:1 macro at 2.8. The lens does NOT extend/rotate while focusing. This is critical since you'll have to work pretty close to th esubject with this lens.

In general, good image quality and very fast focus for a macro lens that will fit for portraiture as well.

Only 1 really bad point: it's very hard to focus if the scene is not bright enough. This is a serious problem that made me miss many shots.
The USM ring will allow you to take control over the focus if it hunts too much but you then must turn from AF to MF mode in order to shot...not cool at all as it often hunts.

Mar 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add slyb to your Buddy List
Arnaud Lottin

Registered: Nov 27, 2007
Review Date: Feb 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp, good built, fast (F 2.8), cheap compared to L-glass.
Cons:
AF hunts in low light, otherwise in good light very accurate.

I must say that it's the sharpest lens I have (Canon 70-200 F2.8, Canon 300mm F4, canon 85mm F1.8, and some other zoomstuff that isn't worth mentioning)

Colours, contrast and background blurr are great and up with L-Glass. I love my 85mm, but this is my new toy and I love it!!!

I love it for portraiture, as it is a nice head-shoulders portret lens on my 40D. I'm new to macro, but the initial results I have are great.

The only drawback is the hunting in low light like many reviewers here are mentioning. Focus manual in low light is the key.

This lens is a real bargain!!!

Arnaud

Feb 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Arnaud Lottin to your Buddy List
samdiesel

Registered: Nov 23, 2005
Review Date: Oct 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $385.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor Sharp, Versatile, Great Value.
Cons:
AF hunts in low light.

Using this on a Rebel XT, this lens is amazing. As a macro lens, I use manual focus anyway, so AF hunting isn't an issue for me. This lens produces very sharp images with a very narrow depth-of-field. Stopped down, it is sharp throughout the frame. Awesome.

With its 96mm effective focal length an a 1.6x crop sensor, it can be used as a portrait or landscape lens and the sharpness remains.

Simply an amazing lens, the best value lens I own. As long as I have a crop sensor camera, I am keeping this lens. Highly recommended!

Oct 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add samdiesel to your Buddy List
polizonte

Registered: Jan 25, 2006
Review Date: Oct 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $388.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ultra sharp images, great colors, easy manual focus, size weight - good as general photography lens also.
Cons:
Only significant drawback: can't be used on FX camera bodies.

I opted for the 60mm to fill the gap between my 17-40mm & 135mm which it did nicely; the 60mm was such a good lens that I sold my EF 100mm USM macro with no regrets. This EFS lens worked well on my former 40D, 50D cameras.

Oct 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add polizonte to your Buddy List
michael49

Registered: Jun 9, 2006
Review Date: Oct 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light-weight, USM, great FL
Cons:

Definitely one of my best lens purchases.

The only drawback to this lens that I can think of if the small working distance if you shoot alot of bugs. I use it primarily for flowers and portraits and its great for this purpose.

The lens is so small and portable. Excellent build quality. Wonderful bokeh. What's not to like?

Some examples:

Oct 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add michael49 to your Buddy List
Nan Moore

Registered: Oct 1, 2007
Review Date: Oct 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $340.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: lightweight, compact, great lens, small filter size, solid
Cons:

I just love this lens! I'm new to macro photography, and what a great lens to start with!

Oct 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nan Moore to your Buddy List
Veino

Registered: Sep 30, 2007
Review Date: Sep 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality, weight, size, very good at portraits
Cons:
Nothing major

Image quality is stunning for consumer lens, it's fast enough (F/2.8) and it isn't expensive at all. It shines on portraits and it's good lens for walkaround. Handy size and weight plus 60mm is pretty nice lenght for many situtations.

Highly recommended.

Sep 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Veino to your Buddy List
piberoptikz

Registered: Apr 27, 2006
Review Date: Jun 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $359.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: VERY SHARP / COMPACT W/ SOLID BODY / SUPER FAST / EXCELLENT LENS / AFFORDABLE / WORTH EVERY PENNY
Cons:
NONE AT ALL
Jun 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add piberoptikz to your Buddy List
Indy Iskandar

Registered: Nov 30, 2006
Review Date: Jun 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $340.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ultra Compact, price is affordable, excellent DOF, USM with good solid body, etc.
Cons:
None so far.

Hi photo shooters...

I can't describe how happy am I ?
After I'm always used Canon 70-200 f/4 USM and 50mm f/1.8 MK I finally I decided to try and learn macro photography. So I bought this lens several weeks ago and already can tell about the amazing of this lens.

The DOF is excellent, it's very light and balanced well with my Rebel Xti and I think it's not only good for macro and portrait but also good for landscapes photos as general purposes lens.

Maybe 100mm f/2.8 even better but I never regret to have this mighty 60mm, thank you to all reviewers who made me decide to buy this lens and also the-digital-picture.com

Here are sample taken by 60mm macro lens:

I really recommended this lens!!!

Jun 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Indy Iskandar to your Buddy List
byteseller

Registered: Jun 18, 2003
Posts: 1952
Review Date: May 20, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $380.00

Pros: Compact, lightweight, price, can use with onboard flash, fantastic bokeh, fast ring USM with full-time manual over ride, etc
Cons:
not FF

(Samples at bottom)

Lets face it, you'd be hard pressed to find an optically bad macro lens. In my experience the 60mm is every bit as sharp as the other macro I've used (Canon 100mm, Sigma 150mm and 105mm, and Nikon 60mm and 105mm VR). So rather than compare the Canon 60mm (disclaimer - one of my favorite lenses ever) with any of these other fine macro lenses, I'll just point our some reasons why I find this lens so incredibly useful and used:

1. I like to travel light. The Canon is barely larger than most 50mm 1.4 lenses. It also does not extend when focusing - something no other compact macros can do to my knowledge (Nikon 60mm, Sigma 50, Canon 50mm f2.8, etc). This lens packs wonderfully into almost any small bag for your kit.

2. Since the lens does not extend and is compact (see above) it can be used with the onboard flash even at 1:1 without casting a shadow on your subject -- not sure if any other Macros can pull this off. This allows me to travel even lighter since I don't have to pack off camera flashes or on lens macro ring flashes. Purists will scoff at onboard flash use, but I think that I've gotten some damn good photos using it, especially since I would have had NO photo at all since I would rarely if ever carry the amount of equipment required to do this otherwise.

3. The lens has a very nice ring-USM focusing system. As fast or nearly as fast as any lens out there.

4 Price. Yes I have a budget, not many true macros out there that go for less.

5. Absolutely wonderful bokeh, oh so buttery!! Canon talks about rounded aperture blades, yadda, yadda - something they did works well here. While the background smears wonderfully together, the lens is amazingly sharp wide open.

6. 60mm on a crop body is 96mm - that combined with #5 makes for a very nice portrait lens. Got more use from this lens for that reason than the Canon 85 1.8 (a wonderful lens) that felt a bit long on my 30D.

7. For reasons of it's compact size, light weight and quick focus, the lens is JOY to hand hold (hey less stuff to carry!!). I've even have used the lens very successfully holding the camera in one hand.

Down-sides?

1. You have to work pretty close/stealthily with a 60mm macro - more so than a say 150mm Sigma, but this is well worth the trade off for the Pros outlined above - size, on-board flash, etc

2. No can do on FF bodies - not really a problem since I can't afford these bodies. It might also not be the ideal lens to use with Adriana Lima - but for the same reason, I'm not too worries.

There you have it, some samples:

Bokeh:

Macro with on-board-flash:

Sharpness wide-open (or nearly so):

Holdability (one handed shooting):

Portraits:

Many more examples here:

http:/www.pbase.com/pyanez/macro

May 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add byteseller to your Buddy List
relicpro

Registered: May 1, 2007
Review Date: May 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Gorgeous bokeh! f2.8 is nice, build is solid
Cons:
none...

My first lens, and I fell in love with it! Perfect for macro photography and my own pet peeve - flora. The divine bokeh makes it great for portraits as well. Great fixed-length lens!

May 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add relicpro to your Buddy List
jlandaue

Registered: Feb 4, 2005
Review Date: Apr 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, Color accuracy, Focus Accuracy
Cons:
Slow focus in low contrast areas

This lens is very nice. Not just good for macro, but for portraits and landscapes. I'm having fun with this lens. I can achieve nice effect and be creative in closeups.

I used to have a Canon 17-40 mm L lens, but this one is a lot sharper.

I never take this lens out of my spare Canon XT ( I also have a Canon XTI with 17-85 mm IS).

Here some samples of my shots at the Zoo with the Canon 60 mm. As you can see it is not just for Macro.

Apr 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jlandaue to your Buddy List
wing tong

Registered: Oct 27, 2006
Review Date: Mar 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, inexpensive, does more than just macro.
Cons:
still trying to find one...maybe ef-s only?

This lens has become my favorite walkaround lens over my 24-105IS L on my 1.6 crop body. The images are sharp, I can take a range of photos and still come up tight to the subject and get those random/spontaneous macros. The 60mm is perfect as an outdoor walkaround focal distance and I don't miss the 24-105 that it replaced. At f/2.8, I can keep it on my camera indoors most of time as well.

Mar 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wing tong to your Buddy List
Fernando Sousa

Registered: Sep 14, 2006
Location: Portugal
Review Date: Mar 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp sharp sharp! good price
Cons:
hunts a little in low light

got this one yesterday after reading the reviews in this site.
took some shots and im very very happy with the results.
the sharpest lens i own, for sure. it works great with rebel xt. however, autofocus is not accurate in low light and its a pitty its not compatible with full fram bodys.
overall, this is a wonderful piece of glass that you can buy for a nice price.
very good for portraits and for first adventures into the macro world.

Mar 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fernando Sousa to your Buddy List
Poindexter

Registered: Oct 8, 2005
Review Date: Feb 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $380.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very Sharp over a very usable aperture range. Light and compact. Nice minimum focus distance.
Cons:
Might need more range for wildlife macro. Auto Focus hunts too often.

This lens was given to me as a Christmas gift in 2005. I've been pleased with it for portraits and product-like photography. I would prefer something a tad longer, and am going to replace it with the Canon 100mm f2.8 very soon.

I have never gotten over how sharp this lens is. It does a great job wide open. It doesn't take up too much room in the bag or pocket. I've run around state parks shooting birds, but always brought this lens with me in my pocket just in case something small catches my eye. Moving to the 1D series, I won't be able to do that anymore with this EF-S lens.....another reason for getting rid of it.

I would recommend this lens to anyone who wants to get started in Macro - it is an excellent lens for macro beginners (like me) because of its sharpness - call it somewhat forgiving of your beginners skills.

I had to work on my manual focus skills using this lens because the AF hunts quite a bit. Aside from the AF and focal length, this is an excellent lens for the money.

Feb 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Poindexter to your Buddy List
toma7

Registered: Jan 31, 2007
Location: Austria
Review Date: Feb 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: compact, build quality, light, usually fast AF, cheap, my charpest lens
Cons:
hunts a little in low light, ef-s
Feb 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add toma7 to your Buddy List

Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM